ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Union

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
1) Brohm's timing, leaving and taking coaches and players with him, did not help the situation.
2) The Harrell/Card experiment turned out to be a mistake.
3) Don't know what was behind Walters hire but he was in a no win situation in both his first and second season especially since key players left after the 1st season killed this year.
4) Tough to recruit when the sword of Damocles is hanging over one's head.
5) IF they do not have a deal with a name Coach and arm him with NIL money this is not going to be Walters last year.
6) It sucks that IU is having a banner turn around but their Coach brought many players with him that knew his system.
7) The Northwestern game is a MUST win or it will get uglier.
8) Been though the highs, with Jack, Young and Brohm and been through the lows
9) NIL's will replace NLI's.
10) The ball is in the AD's hands and Purdue has to decide if they are going to pay the money necessary for a Coach and PLAYERS or it will be a death sentence to the bottom tier of the B1G for awhile.

Reactions: z_one
Purdue has to win Saturday for Walters to have any hope of showing progress this year. Win---not come close, not look better in a few areas. Win. This is a manageable opponent at home with two weeks to prepare.

Purdue will likely be a multiple TD underdog in each of its last four games--save possible MSU.

Reactions: pboiler18
1) Brohm's timing, leaving and taking coaches and players with him, did not help the situation.
2) The Harrell/Card experiment turned out to be a mistake.
3) Don't know what was behind Walters hire but he was in a no win situation in both his first and second season especially since key players left after the 1st season killed this year.
4) Tough to recruit when the sword of Damocles is hanging over one's head.
5) IF they do not have a deal with a name Coach and arm him with NIL money this is not going to be Walters last year.
6) It sucks that IU is having a banner turn around but their Coach brought many players with him that knew his system.
7) The Northwestern game is a MUST win or it will get uglier.
8) Been though the highs, with Jack, Young and Brohm and been through the lows
9) NIL's will replace NLI's.
10) The ball is in the AD's hands and Purdue has to decide if they are going to pay the money necessary for a Coach and PLAYERS or it will be a death sentence to the bottom tier of the B1G for awhile.
I'd add unfortunate scheduling. 4 with a very good potential for 5 top 10 teams in 12 games, with only one team played with a losing record.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
Nice synopsis. I like to think that the last 5 games matter when it comes to Walters' retention, but I'm beginning to think that they won't. He will be back for year 3. I'm judging that on the fact that if he was going to go, it would have happened during the bye week. And what could possibly need to happen in the next 5 games (3 of which against a combined record of 21-1) that would make it more likely that he's fired? Only player dissention really.

I believe BOBO already made his decision and has already publicly revealed it with respect to NIL.

Two facts:
1. There is a finite amount to the amount of NIL and scholarships Purdue can and will give out.
2. The AD had full authority as to how that finite amount of scholarships and NIL is given out.

The rumors/speculation.

A respected poster on this board Said Purdue’s basketball players were receiving more NIL than Purdue’s best football players. The person posted that every basketball player was receiving more NIL. Than Card received. Is this true? It wasn’t me that posted it.

In one of Walter’s or Bobo’s press conferences or interviews, he was talking about the players who left. It may have been with Brian. He said publicly he could have given more NIL to the players that left. And they might have stayed. But he decided to give that money to several other players to reward them . He had a choice and he made it. Instead of giving the NIL money to one player, he gave it to three players.

Brohm’s initial success was very similar to the success IU is enjoying this year. When Brohm came to Purdue, he brought his entire staff and he brought 18 players he had either recruited or played for him at WKU. And several of those player he brought from WKU were grad transfers. One of the best players Brohm brought was the linebacker who was the son of his defensive coordinator. Indiana has proven to have success, you need continuity in Your coaching staff and players.

Purdues swim team attracted a bunch of Olympic divers as transfers. I have to believe they came to Purdue because of our coach and also because they received a nice NIL payment. This goes back to the fact the AD has the authority to divide up the NIL however he chooses.

This all leads me to believe BOBO has already made his decision how NIL money will be spent. And he hs publicly revealed his decision. Unlike Alabama and OSU, football is not BOBO’s top priority for NIL spending and it appears it never will be. Unlike other football powerhouses, BoBO likes to distribute his money. To all sports rather than disproportionately to football.

It’s time Purdue football fans opened their eyes to what BOBO has said and done. It’s obvious winning football games is NOT Bobo’s top priority! It doesn’t appear it ever was! Hiring Walters was not the type of move an AD would make if he had a win now philosophy!

And looking to the future, if the big ten does add new schools, it will be with the intent to increase revenue. And those schools will have more NIL money to give out than Purdue does. If the BIG 10 Adds Texas A&M or Miami or FSU, Purdue’s football team will be buried even deeper. And there will be no escaping the cellar any time soon.

So get used to it

I'd add unfortunate scheduling. 4 with a very good potential for 5 top 10 teams in 12 games, with only one team played with a losing record.
But we should look like we know what we are doing vs them, right? Vs say looking like we are playing flag football while they are playing tackle?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT