ADVERTISEMENT

something needs fixed....

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
I think the current system with UK (whether they are doing it properly or not) needs fixed. I don't mind coaches putting together a great team if it's student athletes. UK under Cal has done nothing but recruit 1 and done players. If you have 4 or 5 new kids every year that come in for a year & leave for the NBA, I think there should be some penalty for that. I thought that's what the APR was suppose to do. I'm not sure what the answer is, though I do have some thoughts, but the UK system just doesn't seem right.

John Oliver has some thoughts

I think the best improvement would be the development of a viable minor league system where kids could make 100k+ out of high school. The NBA/NCAA could take a portion of their massive pile of $$ and subsidize such a system, but they'll likely need to be forced into making such a move.

I like this video from John Oliver last night. Funny and accurate.

Re: John Oliver has some thoughts

They already have the DLeague. I'm not sure that is the answer. I mean, if kids are ready for the NBA out of high school, then go, there should not be a rule. If you want to go to college, then there should be more than a 1 year commitment. I think it should be a 3 year commitment. The whole thing just feels like the steroid controversy in baseball. It just doesn't seem clean.

Originally posted by *4purdue*:
They already have the DLeague. I'm not sure that is the answer. I mean, if kids are ready for the NBA out of high school, then go, there should not be a rule. If you want to go to college, then there should be more than a 1 year commitment. I think it should be a 3 year commitment. The whole thing just feels like the steroid controversy in baseball. It just doesn't seem clean.
Right, the DLeague exists, but the pay scale is $25k, $19k, and $13k.

Raise the wage and the option becomes viable.

Originally posted by Beeazlebub:

They have no incentive to do such a thing. NCAA is a better feeder at the moment and they spend zero dollars. Also, the high end kids come in with heavy marketing behind them already.

Originally posted by nat100:

They have no incentive to do such a thing. NCAA is a better feeder at the moment and they spend zero dollars. Also, the high end kids come in with heavy marketing behind them already.
Which is why the NCAA & NBA would need to be forced into such an action. We're talking pennies on the dollar for both entities, so it's not like it would significantly hurt either business.

There is also the possibility that enough consumers will become fed up with the current system and stop buying tickets, etc., but I don't see that happening.

Nobody is going to watch a minor league NBA team, no matter how much you pay them.

why doesn't it seem right? What is right, or more importantly why is it right? No scholarships and student run leadership? I think that would be awesome, but we aren't going back to that. If you haven't seen the crack baby basketball episode of southpark, you are missing out. They NAILED it. No system is gonna be fair to everyone and at least the current system is entertaining (minus the gawd awful officiating). I hear complaints a lot, but what are you proposing?

Nobody is going to watch a minor league NBA team, no matter how much you pay them.
I disagree, but the point is irrelevant. Given a proper amount of marketing, I see no reason why the NBDL wouldn't be similar to the minor league baseball system. Make it a fun place for people to enjoy a beer & a dog in the Winter in places like Fort Wayne & people would participate.

Both the NBA and NCAA are $BILLION$ corporations. Either one could afford to subsidize payroll for the NBDL and remain perfectly healthy.

It's not "clean" - it's college athletics.

It's cleanliness is probably somewhere around that of Wall Street or politics and law.

They do all those things now. No one is going to get attached to a minor league hoops team when it is competing with the NCAA and NBA. Minor league baseball works because it is great to be outside and watch baseball without having to drive 3 hours to an MLB park, and it's not competing with the college game. In the winter, you can watch a great college or High School hoops game that your an alumi to.

They do all those things now. No one is going to get attached to a minor league hoops team when it is competing with the NCAA and NBA. Minor league baseball works because it is great to be outside and watch baseball without having to drive 3 hours to an MLB park, and it's not competing with the college game. In the winter, you can watch a great college or High School hoops game that your an alumi to.
Maybe, but I tend to look at situations like this as solvable marketing problems. Better players & an enjoyable atmosphere would make an attractive option for some folks.

The overall point of this would be to create an opportunity for kids who either aren't ready for college or want to make $$ right out of high school. A viable wage from the NBDL would allow that option.

The fix would be something like capping the number of new scholarships per year, kind of like in football. Didn't they try that? Or else make a scholarship 4 years, and you can't fill it for any reason if the person leaves. They might still get a team full of Derek Willises and Dominique Hawkinses that walk on and still be pretty good though.

The one and done thing with Kentucky is overblown in the last couple years. For example, the last 4 teams they have had average 2 one and dones each year. That's not that big of problem.This year's Kentucky team has 8 guys who were on the roster last year. I don't blame Kentucky for the model. It's a coaches job to get the best players possible and make the pieces fit. UK has just done the best job in this environment. I'm no UK fan, but we make such a drastic argument out of this when it's really their issue to fix. They only have 1 national title using this model.

Why in the world would the NCAA contribute to any kind of a D league. Take away the one and dones and while the game may be more consistantly entertaining and truly develop "student-athletes" the NCAA would not have the one players like Russell at O$U and the UK boys to use as marketing tools to draw TV and in house revenue.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:

Why in the world would the NCAA contribute to any kind of a D league. Take away the one and dones and while the game may be more consistantly entertaining and truly develop "student-athletes" the NCAA would not have the one players like Russell at O$U and the UK boys to use as marketing tools to draw TV and in house revenue.
One reason might be to alleviate pressure from various sources regarding the idea of the "student athlete". Some schools & athletes make a mockery of the term, and giving those athletes a viable option would improve the presentation of what the NCAA is supposed to represent.

First, let's talk a minute about the league... The NBA has the lottery/draft and salary cap system in place in an attempt to balance talent, but as we know there are ways to get exceptions and stack teams. The caps are "soft", unlike hard caps in other pro sports leagues. Even so, there is a system that prevents the best players in a draft going to a single team.

NCAA schools can draw talent from anywhere, as long as players meet the NCAA's requirements. If a coach can persuade all of the best 5 or 6 players in a given year to play for their team, there is nothing stopping that. There's no "draft" or anything like that. The argument against a top player going to the same school as other top players is that exposure will be less than if the player were a star on a different team.

Consider D'Angelo Russell of OSU and Devon Booker of UK. Russell is predicted to be a top 5 draftee, while Booker is barely in the top 20 of most mock drafts. If Booker had gone to OSU and Russell to UK, would their projected draft positions be different? Certainly, Russell would not have had the same opportunity to shine, and Booker likely would have had more PT & better numbers at OSU. I think Booker may well be losing money due to a lower draft position because of his choice to play for UK among all those other stars instead of someplace else.

This seems to be the argument to make, IMO, but it's not that easy to land with 18-year-old who want to play on a dynastic team.

Originally posted by ss32000:
The one and done thing with Kentucky is overblown in the last couple years. For example, the last 4 teams they have had average 2 one and dones each year. That's not that big of problem.This year's Kentucky team has 8 guys who were on the roster last year. I don't blame Kentucky for the model. It's a coaches job to get the best players possible and make the pieces fit. UK has just done the best job in this environment. I'm no UK fan, but we make such a drastic argument out of this when it's really their issue to fix. They only have 1 national title using this model.
I don't blame Coach Cal for doing what UK incentivizes him to do -- and what the NCAA allows him to do -- just like I don't blame hookers in Nevada for being hookers, since it's legal in Nevada.

Instead, I blame the "University" of Kentucky for exploiting the rule and allowing the NBA to turn the UK basketball program into a finishing school high-caliber HS players who want the best prep possible for the NBA but have no interest whatsoever in earning a college degree. Most thoughtful UK grads are embarrassed by it, but UK grads are a small minority of the total population of Wildcat fans, similar to ND and IU.

Making frosh ineligible and giving them an automatic 5th year is the best way to fix it. It would also make majoring in engineering a practical option for football and basketball players at Purdue, while right now it's not.

Originally posted by BoilerBonz:

Making frosh ineligible
I don't know how old you are, but they already had it like this. They aren't going back. Holding back the players is not the answer. I don't see this as a major problem. There are only a handful of kids that go. I saw kids get pulled out of school to go work for microsoft before their CS degree was finished. Should they be penalized? That's crazy. IMO the NCAA just needs to enforce its rules. My big problem is programs like UNC are frauds and should be dealt the death penalty. but the ncaa has NO balls and NO accountability.

Kentucky is certainly the extreme example, but Kansas and Duke have obviously decided they need to at least try to compete in that arena going forward. It's really more like the last five or six years.....and I'd say it's working for Kentucky since Calipari became coach.

2010 Regional Final
2011 Final Four
2012 NCAA Champion
2013 NIT
2014 NCAA Runner-up
2015 ???

I agree there are other options for kids who don't want to go to school or are not able to/eligible for some reason, but let's not pretend the NCAA isn't "milking" this for all they can. The University Presidents see the $$$$ rolling in, and nobody wants to kill the golden goose. And look at how much time we spend with "March Madness." Heck, you know productivity is down today with everyone working on their brackets. I don't even fill one out, but I watched about two hours worth last night, including Jay Bilas plugging his law firm on ESPN.

I think the best improvement would be the development of a viable minor league system where kids could make 100k+ out of high school. The NBA/NCAA could take a portion of their massive pile of $$ and subsidize such a system, but they'll likely need to be forced into making such a move.

John Oliver is neither funny nor accurate. He's a sarcastic Brit who makes his living lampooning American society, through selective distortion of the facts, mainly for the entertainment of those Americans who enjoying seeing America ridiculed because it makes them feel superior to other Americans. Pretending that D1 student athletes are systematically deprived of an adequate diet, or that treating them as amateurs is akin to exploitation, is not only inaccurate, it serves to obscure the real problems with the NCAA.

This post was edited on 3/16 11:27 PM by BoilerBonz

I think the simplest solution is to make each scholarship a three year scholarship. If the athletes leave early the scholarship is idle foe the next 1 or 2 years. That would force the one and dones to be spread out over more teams or Kentucky types could only load up every two or three years.

John Oliver is neither funny nor accurate. He's a sarcastic Brit who makes his living lampooning American society, through selective distortion of the facts, mainly for the entertainment of those Americans who enjoying seeing America ridiculed because it makes them feel superior to other Americans. Pretending that D1 student athletes are systematically deprived of an adequate diet, or that treating them as amateurs is akin to exploitation, is not only inaccurate, it serves to obscure the real problems with the NCAA.

This post was edited on 3/16 11:27 PM by BoilerBonz
Agree to disagree. This exploitation is also the tip of the iceberg as far as major universities go. We have way too many factories interested more in your guaranteed student loan money than in actually educating their students, whether they are athletes or not.

With something like only 1% of basketball players getting to the pros, you also have a system incentivized to funnel those players through the 'top' programs. Unlike the NFL where you have salary caps limiting how powerful the teams can be, the limiting factor in the NCAA is how much money the programs can afford spend outside of the kids themselves - coaches, recruiting budget, facilities, bribes, etc. Probably a strong reason why we see the same ten teams year in year out in both football and basketball.

Pay in the DLeague is ridiculously bad. They need to greatly raise the minimium salary for it to become a real viable option. It's so bad, most are virtually playing for free.

Easy solution to this problem....

There is an easy solution to this problem...and it is already in place with MLB and NCAA Baseball, but I would add a few modifications:

1. Allow players to enter the NBA after their senior year in high school if they are drafted AND choose to opt in to their contract with out the representation of a sports agent. If the player opts in to that contract, they lose their amateur status for basketball and forfeit their ability to play basketball in college in the future. Just like many former MLB players, if they would like to return to college and get a degree and play another sport (track, football, baseball, etc), allow them to do so.

2. Players who do not get drafted or choose not to enter the NBA are subject to a minimum two year wait period where they can enter the draft as soon to be juniors (following their 2nd year in college). This means that players would be able to boost their stock during a run in the NCAA Tourney and can then get feedback from the NBA Combine that is held every year. With the change in the combine this year, players are able to get better feedback on their draft status and are given more time to determine if they will enter or not. Like in high school, if a player opts in to the draft BUT does not retain an agent, they may return to college. This prevents student athletes from forgoing their education due to bad information and advice because they went undrafted. Players who choose an agent will forgo their amateur status and be unable to reenter college after the draft.

3. Allow players who leave for the NBA to return up to a certain age (35) to any NCAA accredited university to complete a degree. If that player returns to their same university, give credit to that athletic department and university for ensuring their student athletes, even after a failed professional career, are prepared to be successful. I say the age limit of 35 due to the fact if you are able to play professionally til you are 30 or 35, you have obviously been some what successful but still have time to get your degree in a major of your choosing to continue to be successful.

This seems to be a good system that allows players that are able to make a living out of high school and have the ability to play in the NBA to be given that opportunity. If the NBA was tired of the failure stories of high school players enter the NBA, then advise their teams to be extremely careful or just don't draft them. However, allowing a player to enter college and give them two years to mature and work on the aspects of their game they need to also gives the NCAA credibility beyond the one and done issues many feel are making the NCAA hard to watch. The NCAA could also advise major universities to offer an associates degree possibility for student athletes who feel their best option is to only be in college for two years and then enter the NBA. This would still give them an associates degree in things such as business or marketing that they can use if their career doesn't pan out.

OP says "nothing but one-done players"?

Cauley-Stein is a Junior, Twins are Sophomores, Lee is a Sophomore, Dakari Johnson is a Sophomore, Willis and Hawkins are Sophomores, UK had Senior Day for 3 seniors.

Alex Poythress - is graduating in May (completed his degree in 3 years, was recruited by Duke, Vandy etc.).

When UK won it in 2012, Jones and Lamb were Sophomores - Darius Miller was a Senior
When UK went to the Final Four in 2010, Harrellson was a Senior, Liggins was a Junior
Patrick Patterson completed his degree in 3 years.

This year's freshman Karl Towns was a "Gatorade National Player of the Year" - this award combines three things 1. athletics, 2. academics and 3. Good works in the community.

Brandon Knight brought over 25 hours with him out of HS, was also a Gatorade Player of the Year.

The UK has dumb students thing is old - no, they have good kids who can make millions playing basketball.

No one has much issue with Duke's Jabari Parker, Okafor, Rivers, Kyrie etc.
This post was edited on 3/18 12:03 PM by ZZBlueComet

I think the current system with UK (whether they are doing it properly or not) needs fixed. I don't mind coaches putting together a great team if it's student athletes. UK under Cal has done nothing but recruit 1 and done players. If you have 4 or 5 new kids every year that come in for a year & leave for the NBA, I think there should be some penalty for that. I thought that's what the APR was suppose to do. I'm not sure what the answer is, though I do have some thoughts, but the UK system just doesn't seem right.
Its not UK's system...Its the NCAA's system.....and if your coach could get all those players.....he would. Any team would. So get off your high horse and be honest with yourself. Its not Cal, its not UK. It's the way the rule is written. Dont get sanctimonious and act like you wouldnt be thrilled to have the same situation.

party0004.r191677.gif

Originally posted by STEVEGRO50:

Its not UK's system...Its the NCAA's system.....and if your coach could get all those players.....he would. Any team would. So get off your high horse and be honest with yourself. Its not Cal, its not UK. It's the way the rule is written. Dont get sanctimonious and act like you wouldnt be thrilled to have the same situation.
As I said before, some "ladies" think it's fine to be a whore in Nevada because it's legal. Others are raised with morals that preclude them from engaging in such activity, even if it is legal.

UK basketball is the absolute lowest common denominator in college athletics today. They make no pretense of being an academic institution for their star players. Plenty of other schools could do the same, maybe even better. Wouldn't these budding NBA stars rather live in LA, rather than Lexington, KY, while they prep for the NBA? Of course. But even UCLA attempts to live up to its mission as an educational institution, so they don't challenge UK for its lowly position because it's beneath UCLA.

But into the breach created by the NBA steps UK, the one major university that is willing to sell its soul (as an academic institution) to the devil for a little cheap farcical fame. No one respects UK for pushing the rules to the point where the term "college" basketball is meaningless.

It amuses me when UK fans thump their chests after crushing another opponent, as if the slaughter somehow suggests that UK is superior, or even respected. The fact is that UK is too good of a university to stoop to what its basketball program has become, but the difference between UK and other universities, that could do the same, is that others know there is no real respect for those who would push the rules to this absurd degree, whereas sadly, too many UK fans don't realize that this brings no real glory to UK, as a university, and serves to reinforce the view, as unfair as it may be, that UK is nothing more than a NBA basketball factory.

And btw, no, I would not want Purdue basketball to ever be what UK has become, no matter how many banners it brought us. Your last comment makes me think of the thief who, while enjoying his ill-gotten gains, lectures honest men on how principles, and hard work, are overrated.
This post was edited on 3/19 7:23 AM by BoilerBonz

As I said before, some "ladies" think it's fine to be a whore in Nevada because it's legal. Others are raised with morals that preclude them from engaging in such activity, even if it is legal.

UK basketball is the absolute lowest common denominator in college athletics today. They make no pretense of being an academic institution for their star players. Plenty of other schools could do the same, maybe even better. Wouldn't these budding NBA stars rather live in LA, rather than Lexington, KY, while they prep for the NBA? Of course. But even UCLA attempts to live up to its mission as an educational institution, so they don't challenge UK for its lowly position because it's beneath UCLA.

But into the breach created by the NBA steps UK, the one major university that is willing to sell its soul (as an academic institution) to the devil for a little cheap farcical fame. No one respects UK for pushing the rules to the point where the term "college" basketball is meaningless.

It amuses me when UK fans thump their chests after crushing another opponent, as if the slaughter somehow suggests that UK is superior, or even respected. The fact is that UK is too good of a university to stoop to what its basketball program has become, but the difference between UK and other universities, that could do the same, is that others know there is no real respect for those who would push the rules to this absurd degree, whereas sadly, too many UK fans don't realize that this brings no real glory to UK, as a university, and serves to reinforce the view, as unfair as it may be, that UK is nothing more than a NBA basketball factory.

And btw, no, I would not want Purdue basketball to ever be what UK has become, no matter how many banners it brought us. Your last comment makes me think of the thief who, while enjoying his ill-gotten gains, lectures honest men on how principles, and hard work, are overrated.
First....Uk has had multiple players graduate in 3 yrs. Some were considered one and dones. Their team GPA is alway over 3. and sometimes over 3.5. Just because they are NBA bound dont mean they dont go to class. Karl anthony Townes is an excellent student. So i Willie. If you look and see Stine is a Jr....the twins are soph. Lee, soph. Poithress , Jr...
As fro you wouldnt want a team like that.......YOU ARE LIEING TO US AND YOURSELF. all it is is jealousy. So go home, crawl iNto your coRner and wring your hands at all the evil in Collage BB.

First....Uk has had multiple players graduate in 3 yrs. Some were considered one and dones. Their team GPA is alway over 3. and sometimes over 3.5. Just because they are NBA bound dont mean they dont go to class. Karl anthony Townes is an excellent student. So i Willie. If you look and see Stine is a Jr....the twins are soph. Lee, soph. Poithress , Jr...
As fro you wouldnt want a team like that.......YOU ARE LIEING TO US AND YOURSELF. all it is is jealousy. So go home, crawl iNto your coRner and wring your hands at all the evil in Collage BB.
As I said, you remind me of the thief who lectures honest men on how principles,
and hard work, are overrated.

The team average GPA is over 3? In what, I'd love to see those joke classes!

And btw, I am home, on this board, you're the one who came on to a potential opponent's board to lecture us on the merits of selling out one's principles for fleeting fame and the farce your school has made of college basketball.

scared0003.r191677.gif

As I said, you remind me of the thief who lectures honest men on how principles,

And btw, I am home, on this board, you're the one who came on to a potential opponent's board to lecture us on the merits of selling out one's principles for fleeting fame and the farce your school has made of college basketball.
scared0003.r191677.gif
Grow a pair Nancy.....Quit crying.....at least the others on here are honest...they would love to have a team like KY.....Your holier than thou attitude is just to mask your fear and jealously. It must be nice to paint all those kids on UK's team with such a wide brush. Would you like it if someone called your kid a cheater.

Hell the only reason your home and on this board is because your too pathetic to get a job. Probably because you cry so much Nancy. The only time I get to respond is at break and lunch cause I got a real job....LOOSER

Oh by the Nancy...I mean Boiiler...I like Purdue...I even follow them. I enjoy basketball of all kinds. Ill be rooting for them except against KY. I like Purdue, Xavier, Butler, But diversity isnt your thing I suppose.

scared0003.r191677.gif

scared0003.r191677.gif
Grow a pair Nancy.....Quit crying.....at least the others on here are honest...they would love to have a team like KY.....Your holier than thou attitude is just to mask your fear and jealously. It must be nice to paint all those kids on UK's team with such a wide brush. Would you like it if someone called your kid a cheater.

Hell the only reason your home and on this board is because your too pathetic to get a job. Probably because you cry so much Nancy. The only time I get to respond is at break and lunch cause I got a real job....LOOSER
Steve, it sounds like you are spending a lot of time on the long end of the french fryer today. Sorry you got such a tough job. I think the fumes might be affecting your reading ability, cause I don't see anyone crying around here.

Of course, we don't have the basketball talent UK does, but they'd better not sleep on us or we will embarass them. Looking forward to the game, but first we've got to win the first game. No sense in getting too wound up about playing the blue faced hill-billies until we get past a good Cincy team.

As far as envy, sorry, don't have any. I don't tend to center my life around my college's sports teams. As far as graduating kids from UK, I am sure that the UNC fans thought the same thing for 10 years. No doubt those UK kids take real classes that have real grades based on actual academic work of the students. I have no doubt, ...well, maybe just a little.

But hey, thanks for stopping by.

Well, bye.

cool.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT