ADVERTISEMENT

So....what happens if Saturday night.....

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Purdue is sitting on a 20-13 victory over IL?
Does it matter?
Does it have any impact whatsoever for DH and his current employment situation?
Does MBob, keep giving him another chance every week and then fire him at the end of the season?

I say "No". We've seen the overall body of work for 4 years and 1 game is not going to change things.
DH should have been fired on Sunday of this past week and a win only prolongs the inevitable.
Of course, getting blown out by IL like they did at MD would almost certainly seal his fate and have him gone this Sunday, so I find myself almost cheering for a big loss on Saturday.

Illinois is arguably trending up and playing better now than they were last year at this point.
Purdue is arguably trending down and playing worse than they were last year, IMO.

Those two things combined, along with the experts now picking Illinois at 10+....
Purdue will probably have a hard time scoring enough points when Illinois is just running up and down the field with arguably a better OL and better RB's than Maryland showed last week.

Illinois 38 Purdue 17

Purdue will not fire DH this season.......still to much money for a buyout and I don't think DH would take less than the contract amount which I think is almost $5,000,000......AND there are going to be many very good openings for new Head Coaches and Purdue will not be able to compete......Sad but that is what I think

I see Purdue losing and DH still being the coach.

I just don't see a change being made after 5 games.

If you really think this "do better" meeting took place you're Naieve as shit.

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
Does it matter?
Does MBob, keep giving him another chance every week and then fire him at the end of the season?

I say "No". We've seen the overall body of work for 4 years and 1 game is not going to change things.
DH should have been fired on Sunday of this past week and a win only prolongs the inevitable.
Of course, getting blown out by IL like they did at MD would almost certainly seal his fate and have him gone this Sunday, so I find myself almost cheering for a big loss on Saturday.

You can't fire him when he's 3-2. It wouldn't be fair to the new coordinators and would accomplish nothing, unless one of the coordinators is the behind-the-scenes genius who overcomes DH2's deficiencies.

You can't fire him when he's 3-2. It wouldn't be fair to the new coordinators and would accomplish nothing, unless one of the coordinators is the behind-the-scenes genius who overcomes DH2's deficiencies.
Are you referring to the coordinators who collectively generated 10 yards of rushing on the offensive side of the ball for the course of a game (including much of it against the opponent's back-ups) and surrendered 400 yards of rushing on the defensive side of the ball (again, including much of it against the opponent's back-ups)?

If so...put me in the category of not being concerned about being "fair" to either...as there is a reason that both are where they are presently in their careers, and it has nothing at all to do with being fair, and the numbers that I shared are very clear evidence that neither is any sort of genius capable of overcoming their own deficiencies, never mind those of DH2.

At this point, I don't think any positive single-game result would change things, even if Purdue were to somehow beat Wisconsin or Nebraska.

Haze has to show he can sustain success, and we've seen nothing in the past 3 1/3 seasons to suggest that's even a remote possibility.

Are you referring to the coordinators who collectively generated 10 yards of rushing on the offensive side of the ball for the course of a game (including much of it against the opponent's back-ups) and surrendered 400 yards of rushing on the defensive side of the ball (again, including much of it against the opponent's back-ups)?

If so...put me in the category of not being concerned about being "fair" to either...as there is a reason that both are where they are presently in their careers, and it has nothing at all to do with being fair, and the numbers that I shared are very clear evidence that neither is any sort of genius capable of overcoming their own deficiencies, never mind those of DH2.
Fellas - worrying about how we would handle Haze beating Illinois is like worrying about what your wife would think if Naomi Watts hit on you at church Sunday morning. Not happenin'.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
No reason to let our lameduck coach walk into the stadium for homecoming? Do it this sunday or Monday and make homecoming a rally weekend
This would be best for all parties involved. Coach, University, Players and Fans. Why let the inevitable firing still hang around? It is like an odor, take care of it for Gosh Sakes!

This would be best for all parties involved. Coach, University, Players and Fans. Why let the inevitable firing still hang around? It is like an odor, take care of it for Gosh Sakes!
still think we lose to Ill by 2 TD's and are more competitive than last week ( which isn't saying much), then the Admin. will hold off to see what happens at HC. Iowa will ground and pound us and that'll be the last straw.

still think we lose to Ill by 2 TD's and are more competitive than last week ( which isn't saying much), then the Admin. will hold off to see what happens at HC. Iowa will ground and pound us and that'll be the last straw.
If Iowa does what you say, they will be doing us a favor. Rather odd considering they are our most hated rival. :D

There's no way he's getting fired if he's 3-2. I'm still in there camp there's very little benefit to firing him now. Fire him the day after IU and be ready with a hire within a week.

In my opinion, if Purdue is going to fire him mid-season, they should do it now. Prolonging only runs the risk of making Purdue look stupid (and I mean more stupid than they look today for having hired him in the first place). For example, if this team pulls a miracle out of their butts and wins at IL, MBob would look stupid to fire him then. Not that the performance over the past 3 1/2 years wouldn't have justified it, just that the guy can almost count all of his wins on one hand and the AD would opt to fire him after getting one more? That seems dumb.

If Purdue wins, then follows it up with a home loss to an Iowa team that's probably better than Maryland and Illinois, is this situation any worse?. If wasn't worthy to fire after a trouncing by Maryland, but if you lose to a better team in Iowa you're fired? That also seems dumb.

The way the next couple games are set-up, MBob better be crossing his fingers for a loss this weekend if he has any intention of pulling the trigger mid-season.

Last edited:
I see two outcomes ... Purdue loses and DH is gone the next day (or should be).

Purdue somehow manages to win in spite of a terrible coach, DH is around for another week.

No matter what DH needs to move on to something else.

Hazell is going no where until two games are left in the season because his coordinators are not any better than he is. Make him stay and suffer like the players and the fans. With two games left, and a loss, put him on the bus back to his hometown and have you're new hire ready to come in with both feet running.

Does it matter?

I cant speak for anyone else,but if Purdue beats Illinois,I will be in a state of extreme shock Saturday night.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
He won't be fired until bowl eligibility has been decided. Purdue definitely needs to be in the LSU camp and be interviewing before seasons end or will get lost in the shuffle.

You have to fire him Saturday night after a loss unless you have no trust in your coordinators.

I was super annoyed watching the interview with Haze where he said they are 2-2, not 2-40 (or whatever) though fans might feel differently. It is especially frustrating that the team got completely pantsed at Maryland. I wish Haze was gone, and I don't expect they'll win another game all year. However...

Thinking about it pragmatically, I think the new AD will give the coach the full year. It sends a positive signal to future coaching candidates that he might be a decent person to work for and won't bend to pressure.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT