ADVERTISEMENT

So much flak for the seniors-to-be

Nov 9, 2011
I have read so much guff on this board about the seniors to be.

PJ is slow and undeserving to start i (despite having the team's best sprint time)

Vince won't get a shot at the NBA (despite projected to be drafted next year)

Haas is a rebounding and defensive liability

Sure, none of them are perfect, but lets not forget that Purdue finished 12th the season before they arrived. They have finished 3rd, 3rd and 1st.

More appreciation, less whelping, people.

There are a few people that repeat the same whines over and over but I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of Purdue fans are extremely appreciative of their contributions (along with guys like Hammons, Davis, and Swanigan) in taking the program from worst to first in the span of a few years. I know I am. That doesn't mean I think they're perfect players or without any flaws but they are all net positives to the program and you can't say that about many 4-player recruiting classes.

PJ is slow and undeserving to start i (despite having the team's best sprint time)

Sure, none of them are perfect, but lets not forget that Purdue finished 12th the season before they arrived. They have finished 3rd, 3rd and 1st.

I don't know how to look this up but it would be interesting to compare the 2014 class total wins & championships vs the vaunted 2007 class.

Here's some stats from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Purdue_Boilermakers_men's_basketball_seasons

2007 22-12 4th 2nd Round
2008 25-9 2nd 2nd Round
2009 27-10 2nd Sweet 16
2010 29-6 1st Sweet 16

103-37

2014 15-17 12th None
2015 21-13 3rd 2nd Round
2016 26-8 3rd 1st Round
2017 27-8 1st Sweet 16

89-46

For class comparison, the current senior class is 74-29 (71.8%).

The Baby Boilers were 103-37 (73.6%).

It would take a 29-8 season to match the Baby Boilers' totals, 26-7 to essentially match their win percentage.

Bunch of losers.

Someone call BoBo and have their scholarships tossed out ASAP.

You tell BoBo we are free members of the Rivals site and DeManD aCCounTaBILiTy

Reactions: Dakota Girl

No DM?

It's unfortunate that Robbie got hurt multiple years - who knows how different those numbers would be. I still hate watching our guys play in the Barn.

I think all three of the baby boilers are top 10 scorers too.

Yes....

E'Twaun Moore (2,136) - #3

JaJuan Johnson (1,919) - #7

Rob Hummel (1,772) - #9

One never knows what having RH for the '10 and '11 NCAA tourneys would have meant in changing the results....but.....eye.....had good chance.

I think for the most part people understand what this class has done for Purdue hoops. Painter himself was extremely congratulatory after we beat IU on senior night.

A hypothesis on the issue you bring up:

I do think fans get frustrated with Haas/Vince because there's so much potential there. Vince, from the minute he put on the Purdue uniform, has physically looked like an all-star. Same with Haas - because of how he looks, people assume he should average 25/15. Hammons had a similar "problem".... the more potential you have, the higher the expectations.

Now, the inverse isn't true - PJ doesn't look the part, so one would assume everybody would be in love with how he's "over-performed". But it seems like everyone, including the coaching staff for bringing in 5th year PGs, doesn't completely trust him. I, however, do completely trust him. He always seems to come up with a big shot late in the game. His A/TO numbers are historically great. He's a perfect fit for Purdue.

I'm into team play rather than individual play even though I can appreciate strong individual performances this is a team, a team of great kid's that play the game right and more oftrn than not, the scoreboard reflects that team play

While you're at it demand that we go to 100% 1-2-1-1 zone as well!!!
1-2-1-1 on makes in 2nd half with top on triggerman...shading wide side of court to force inbounds pass to short side...IFyour gonna press...course with the right people a 2-2-1 is okay. Still, I would rather lead from the start and blow that out by grinding away

There are a few people that repeat the same whines over and over but I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of Purdue fans are extremely appreciative of their contributions (along with guys like Hammons, Davis, and Swanigan) in taking the program from worst to first in the span of a few years. I know I am. That doesn't mean I think they're perfect players or without any flaws but they are all net positives to the program and you can't say that about many 4-player recruiting classes.
A five-member class counting Taylor.

Love to see him stay healthy so we can get a fair read on his value.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT