ADVERTISEMENT

Smotherman

I just seen Smotherman on campus recently, I can assure you he is fit and ready to contribute. Fortunately weight does not directly correlate to performance, he will be a strong defender and athletic wing that will help us in many facets of the game.

I just seen Smotherman on campus recently, I can assure you he is fit and ready to contribute. Fortunately weight does not directly correlate to performance, he will be a strong defender and athletic wing that will help us in many facets of the game.
good, because during the season he looked too heavy

Reactions: BAM_ Inc.
Doesn't a redshirt do all the same workouts as the active team? I don't see how he could have gotten so out of shape during the season if that's the case...

Weight doesn't correlate to performance? I'm pretty sure it does.

When he admits not all of the weight was "productive weight" it means he put on fat. He better get his butt in the gym and lose the extra weight and be ready to play in August for the overseas trip. If he is going to get minutes it will be because he can slash and play defense. Neither of those things are improved by "nonproductive weight".

Sorry, but this is a "cookie cutting statement" designed to deflect the intent of the original post. It offers no facts constructive of the point rendering it lacking in support of the discussion. The proof in the pudding will be when the team hits the floor.

Sorry, but this is a "cookie cutting statement" designed to deflect the intent of the original post. It offers no facts constructive of the point rendering it lacking in support of the discussion. The proof in the pudding will be when the team hits the floor.

Im sorry but then you should be attacking the original poster, he is making assumptions that a player will not be in correct for because of a weight on a website, as I have seen smotherman, I have more information to go on than the original poster.... seems like a lot of lacking information there. seems like you prefer the pessimistic point of view.

Weight doesn't correlate to performance? I'm pretty sure it does.

So a player that weighs 120 would produce better numbers than a player that is 240 no matter the position. In fact because Lebron plays at 250 he must not be ready for the finals. Im sure Purdue does not have a nutritionist, or even good conditioning and lifting coaches. Im sure Joshua Bonhotal would love to hear your opinion on what is the correct weight to play at.

And just to clarify, after he rids himself of this "non productive" weight, does not mean he is technically dropping weight, just getting ready for the season, sad that is the one thing people pull out of the article that states he can be one of the best defenders on the team and potentially in the B1G.

Im sorry but then you should be attacking the original poster, he is making assumptions that a player will not be in correct for because of a weight on a website, as I have seen smotherman, I have more information to go on than the original poster.... seems like a lot of lacking information there. seems like you prefer the pessimistic point of view.

I'm not making assumptions. The article clear states he is not near correct weight ... even stating Smotherman admits it.

"Now, the first order of business will be to reshape his body.

As of May, the 6-foot-6 forward weighed nearly 240 pounds, admitting some of it might not have been the most productive weight. Those around him jokingly referred to him as "defensive end."

So a player that weighs 120 would produce better numbers than a player that is 240 no matter the position. In fact because Lebron plays at 250 he must not be ready for the finals. Im sure Purdue does not have a nutritionist, or even good conditioning and lifting coaches. Im sure Joshua Bonhotal would love to hear your opinion on what is the correct weight to play at.

Who is stating it's better to play at 120? Are you comparing Lebron to Smotherman?

And you have the gall to call out other poster's assumptions?

Reactions: Inspector100
Smotherman was a big kid to begin with, and by that, I mean he looked really muscular - I thought he was around 225 lbs and was athletic. He probably doesn't need to do much to drop the unproductive weight, if he has been lifting / working out with the rest of the team all last year.

I'm not making assumptions. The article clear states he is not near correct weight ... even stating Smotherman admits it.

"Now, the first order of business will be to reshape his body.

As of May, the 6-foot-6 forward weighed nearly 240 pounds, admitting some of it might not have been the most productive weight. Those around him jokingly referred to him as "defensive end."

Why in the hell was he not reshaping his body this past season?

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Damn, I'm glad it's still the offseason and the board has shifted its' shared expertise to conditioning and proper player weights. If I ever need advice on any topic I know where to go because on this board all you need is a sentence or two taken out of context to get a myriad of differing brilliant opinions all based on fact.

I wonder if someone can make a thread and it go at least a day without some sort of argument happening? Sure we will get the normal trolls, but I have faith we can do it!
No way! Who are you to say wether not we can go a day without an argument? I looked up argument stats per minute of big ten play last season on this board. Did you?

I wonder if someone can make a thread and it go at least a day without some sort of argument happening? Sure we will get the normal trolls, but I have faith we can do it!
If you don't have any expert advice on the topic to share just stay out of it!!!!!!!

Reactions: tjreese and BBG
No way! Who are you to say wether not we can go a day without an argument? I looked up argument stats per minute of big ten play last season on this board. Did you?
Damn, I was almost ready to come back and add my logical, fact based and un-opinionated opinions to the board, but now I'm waffling. I don't want to get into season-shape too early.

If you don't have any expert advice on the topic to share just stay out of it!!!!!!!
I just saw a stat that said that 86% of all drivers think they are great drivers. I suspect the same holds true for the posters on this board. At least 86% think they are experts at everything having to do with basketball. Therefore, everyone will continue to contribute.

Well, I hope Basil is in good playing shape by November even if he did hit the training table a little too hard during his red shirt season.

I have a feeling that Isaac Haas is going to spend some time in foul trouble this season, especially early on. That could trickle down into increased playing time for Smotherman if/when Swanigan plays the 5 and Edwards the 4.

I just saw a stat that said that 86% of all drivers think they are great drivers. I suspect the same holds true for the posters on this board. At least 86% think they are experts at everything having to do with basketball. Therefore, everyone will continue to contribute.
Everyone things education has some major problems. But their school is just fine.

https://purdue.n.rivals.com/news/with-purdue-forwards-returning-where-does-basil-smotherman-fit-in-

Did anyone else read the above article from front page of GBI and notice that it said in May (e.g. last month) Smotherman weighed 240? Did I read that correctly? Not exactly how I envisioned him spending his redshirt year. If this is true, I'm not optimistic that he will contribute or play much this year.

Sounds like he took that "Cooking with Basil" series literally.

First of all, you stated that weight is not correlated with basketball success. It clearly is, as long as you look at each case independently. Here's my point - let's look at one player who has a normal playing weight of 200 lbs. All other things being equal, over the summer he bloats to 120 lbs. He is almost certainly not going to be as good. Same scenario if he shows up to school in the fall weighing 300lbs. So weight is clearly correlated with performance at an individual level.

Secondly, it's a fallacy to consider the entire population of data. You can't compare the playing weights of Lebron and Curry. You have to compare them with their normal playing weight. This might even change with age. The fact that Purdue HAS nutritionists and trainers proves my point. Playing weight is important and is correlated with basketball success. We need Bonhotal to determine what the proper playing weight is for each player.

I'm not sure of Basil's body type - some people gain and lose weight very easily. But count me as one who's at least a little concerned, as this "non-productive weight" means he probably wasn't working his tail off all spring.

Based on that, I should be posting way more than I do. I know more about basketball, and driving, than anyone I know.

I think too much Basil in the sauce......thank goodness he has a good basketball IQ.

Ha Ha....sorry had too.....

He will be fine and his leadership is needed.....e will be a big part of the glue of this team.

So let me first apologize for turning this into an argument, but let me say that of all the things that could be taken out of that article, we chose the small sentence regarding his weight, not his athleticism or ability to be a shutdown defender, it's like this board feeds on the negative and can never be happy. Thank god Biggie came back or we would have had 400 threads on how irresponsible he is and how everyone is an expert on how he should live his life.

I simply said that I have seen Basil on campus recently, and he looks great, if that is how he looks with unproductive weight then sign me up for whatever nutrition plan he has followed in the past. And if his weight is something you are worried about you should find more things to stress you out, I believe our coaches have done a fine job recently getting players ready for the season physically.

And I sleep at Holiday Inn Express several times a year so I may contribute to any and all discussions without fear of being overshadowed.
I don't know. You sound like you currently have unproductive weight issues to me. Not sure you can contribute this season.

Reactions: Boiler_HD
Regardless of weight, I have been encouraged by Smotherman's attitude and energy both on the floor and from the bench. Last year's squad could have used some more energy on the floor.

I believe BS & Haas will be our emotional leaders this coming year. Both clearly LOVE to PLAY basketball. While Hammons, Edwards, Caleb, Mathias, etc. had/have talent, they don't seem to be having as much fun as BS & IH.

What is the proper playing weight for BS? Someone on here surly knows.
223 lbs.

Everybody is having some fun with this one and why not? It's June. I'm in the "that's way too heavy" camp but nobody including BS cares what I think. I'm just willing to bet a dinner at the XXX that he comes in at closer to 220 than 240 for the 1st game.

I don't know. You sound like you currently have unproductive weight issues to me. Not sure you can contribute this season.
I'm always capable of discussing weighty issues such as the many that have arisen in this fine thread.

Regardless of weight, I have been encouraged by Smotherman's attitude and energy both on the floor and from the bench. Last year's squad could have used some more energy on the floor.

I believe BS & Haas will be our emotional leaders this coming year. Both clearly LOVE to PLAY basketball. While Hammons, Edwards, Caleb, Mathias, etc. had/have talent, they don't seem to be having as much fun as BS & IH.
I guarantee any thread on here will have plenty of BS this year!!!

Damn, I'm glad it's still the offseason and the board has shifted its' shared expertise to conditioning and proper player weights. If I ever need advice on any topic I know where to go because on this board all you need is a sentence or two taken out of context to get a myriad of differing brilliant opinions all based on fact.

You sure do like to throw your weight around here....................................................LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT