ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: "Listen, buddy, when you say 'Jordan', tell me who you mean"

Jul 9, 2015
Reading the Catching up with... series on the homepage, I am so glad they did a feature on Walter Jordan. For the young set, he was a 4-year starter and arguably the face of the team on some very good teams in the 70's. Matter of fact, my first game at Mackey, Parkinson set the Big 10 assist record (without looking, I would bet it still stands) and Jordan was awesome. I distinctly remember him waving a towel upon being announced a starter in each game. BTW, it is interesting, he took a certain blame for the disappointing Senior season he and the other seniors experienced on a loaded '77-78 team. I always felt the same; perhaps Schauss stayed 1 year too long. Well, at least that led up to our back-to-back Final 4 appearances, albeit under a way different regime.

So when MJ made national news in the early/mid '80's, I always thought, when anyone said 'Jordan', there is only 1 'Jordan' in Purdue land. (Relax, everybody, I am not comparing the 2.)

One of my earliest basketball thrills was watching him lead Northrop to the state title in 74. His enthusiasm was something to see. If I remember right, the school was only a few years old at the time and the game was in Ass Hall.

Reading the Catching up with... series on the homepage, I am so glad they did a feature on Walter Jordan. For the young set, he was a 4-year starter and arguably the face of the team on some very good teams in the 70's. Matter of fact, my first game at Mackey, Parkinson set the Big 10 assist record (without looking, I would bet it still stands) and Jordan was awesome. I distinctly remember him waving a towel upon being announced a starter in each game. BTW, it is interesting, he took a certain blame for the disappointing Senior season he and the other seniors experienced on a loaded '77-78 team. I always felt the same; perhaps Schauss stayed 1 year too long. Well, at least that led up to our back-to-back Final 4 appearances, albeit under a way different regime.

So when MJ made national news in the early/mid '80's, I always thought, when anyone said 'Jordan', there is only 1 'Jordan' in Purdue land. (Relax, everybody, I am not comparing the 2.)
He was indeed a great player, and, while I was really young when I watched him play, he was one of my Dad's favorite players and he talked about him a great deal...I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of years ago after a game and he was as kind and pleasant a person there could be. He is in the intro video that is played before the games now, and, that was filmed that day...and, it also was the day that Mason Gillis was there on a visit...thinking more about it, it was Senior Day for Dakota, Isaac, PJ and VInce...I remember talking with Mason (and Eric Hunter, as he was there that day as well on a visit) about IHSAA tournament games...Eric was already committed and it was the first time that I had met him...a great kid with a great head on his shoulders...Mason had not committed yet at that point, but, another really good kid as well.

I believe that was the first time that Walter had been back in some time...I know it was the first time he had seen the new facilities and even locker room. It was a thrill for me to meet him not just because he was a legend and great player, but, more so because of knowing that he was a favorite as I said of my Dad so I was excited because of that to meet him and visit with him and introduce my son to him.

One of my earliest basketball thrills was watching him lead Northrop to the state title in 74. His enthusiasm was something to see. If I remember right, the school was only a few years old at the time and the game was in Ass Hall.

I remember watching this game on Evansville TV.....Future Boilers, the aforementioned Walter Jordan and Wayne Walls of Jeffersonville. They were on some really good Purdue teams.....different days with a much smaller NCAA tournament field.

Those of you who were around in those days will recall that our 4 freshmen in the '74-'75 season (Walter Jordan, Wayne Walls, Eugene Parker, and Michael White) were dubbed the "soul patrol." When Bruce Parkinson was on the floor with them, they were the "soul patrol plus one."

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
I remember watching this game on Evansville TV.....Future Boilers, the aforementioned Walter Jordan and Wayne Walls of Jeffersonville. They were on some really good Purdue teams.....different days with a much smaller NCAA tournament field.

Interesting that the state HS final was played in Bloomington. Hated the camera angle at Ass. Hall.

Reactions: Schnelk
Interesting that the state HS final was played in Bloomington. Hated the camera angle at Ass. Hall.

Yes....before they made the arena adjustments, it was hard to get used to for awhile.....although it was easier to spot those "hidden" defenders from the corners.

41pytg.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT