ADVERTISEMENT

Since we have all the MSU fans here

Umm there is Sasha and NE as NE has specifically worked on his shooting.. so you're missing a bit. But I mean you do realize there is much more to the season than one exhibition game right?
Lol NE... no. As for Sasha I have now seen him play (or seen the box score in some cases) in about 20 games/scrimmages (WUG/USA/Exhibitions/scrimmages). In those games he was not impressive from 3. I would guess he shot less than 20% from 3 in those 20 games with a large volume of shots.

Developed the hell out of the 62nd ranked player in his class?

Nairn had a total of 60 points all year last season. As a senior. How in the world can you even credit Izzo for developing the 62nd ranked player in his class to 1.7 pounts per game as a senior?

Nairn was 247 Composite ranked 103. That Rivals ranking is accurate, but it was the outlier for a player that was ranked up near 150 by all other services.

Nairn certainly was never a key on-court player, but there are reasons that teams win, and I am pretty sure that Nairn was one of the real reasons that MSU won a whole lotta games in his four years there. If you ever heard him interviewed or listened to how his teammates and coaches spoke about him, he was the indisputable locker room leader for those teams.

I'll try an analogy: There is real potential that PJ Thompson, who was good on-court but was the statistically least notable of Purdue's four graduated starters, will be their most significant loss for this season.

Lol NE... no. As for Sasha I have now seen him play (or seen the box score in some cases) in about 20 games/scrimmages (WUG/USA/Exhibitions/scrimmages). In those games he was not impressive from 3. I would guess he shot less than 20% from 3 in those 20 games with a large volume of shots.
Your response is hysterical. And I highly doubt you have seen Sasha play that much. His senior season, which is clearly what you were trying to base your opinion on, he averaged 20 points and shot 38.9 % from 3.

So yeah, I'm going to take actual stats and not your exaggeration of the truth. Like I said this is more than a one game season.

Your response is hysterical. And I highly doubt you have seen Sasha play that much. His senior season, which is clearly what you were trying to base your opinion on, he averaged 20 points and shot 38.9 % from 3.

So yeah, I'm going to take actual stats and not your exaggeration of the truth. Like I said this is more than a one game season.
I didnt mention his senior season at all haha. The games I mentioned all happened while he was at Purdue. I live with two die hard Purdue fans. Everyone time one of those games could be streamed or was on TV, it was on our big screen. The box scores were looked at for the games they couldn't watch. So yes, I have seen him play that many times.

name a player that can credit his NBA career to Izzo.

MSU is where five star talents go to spend four years and hope to get drafted. Two Indiana products (Harris and JJJ) got out before their stock dropped more. I could argue Harris regressed in his sophomore campaign. Dawson made the mistake of staying four years.

MSU fans can hammer away at Painter for not landing top tier talent...but at least he doesn’t squander it. At least Cal and Coach K get their talent paid in the league.
Off the top of my head...

Green
Forbes
Harris
Valentine (top 100 recruit becomes lottery pick)
Jason Richardson
Morris Peterson

Reactions: SpartanJD
I didnt mention his senior season at all haha. The games I mentioned all happened while he was at Purdue. I live with two die hard Purdue fans. Everyone time one of those games could be streamed or was on TV, it was on our big screen. The box scores were looked at for the games they couldn't watch. So yes, I have seen him play that many times.
Well considering he didn't play last season, his HS stats are relevant to the argument. That gives us at a minimum 5 3 point shooters essentially which kind of refutes your argument. Sorry.

Harris was a MCDAA, Forbes played alongside Valentine and started his career at Cleveland State where he was newcomer of the year in the Horizon League.

In 20+ years Draymond is one player that Izzo improved. I can’t stand Crean and he took a higher rated player in Oladipo and made him an all star with less time.
Forbes couldn’t guard a chair when he was at Cleveland State. Now he’s starting for the Spurs, who aren’t a franchise that ignores defense.

And Gary Harris has said multiple times that his 2nd year at MSU made him much more prepared for the NBA than he would have been if he left after his freshman season. But hey, I’m sure you know more about what Harris believes than he does...

Well considering he didn't play last season, his HS stats are relevant to the argument. That gives us at a minimum 5 3 point shooters essentially which kind of refutes your argument. Sorry.
He has played in 20 games since attending purude and has hit < 30% of his 3s. Not a shooter until he proves it. By your logic IU has like 11 shooters haha. So that kind of refutes the initial argument about IU having more shooters than purude. Sorry.

He has played in 20 games since attending purude and has hit < 30% of his 3s. Not a shooter until he proves it. By your logic IU has like 11 shooters haha. So that kind of refutes the initial argument about IU having more shooters than purude. Sorry.
Who are the IU shooters and why are you arguing this in an MSU thread? Pretty odd aren’t you?

Before pointing your finger at MSU, Purdue is not without players who have also spent time in a court room and in a police station. Purdue is not devoid of players with a past history of being on the wrong side of the law.

Before pointing your finger at MSU, Purdue is not without players who have also spent time in a court room and in a police station. Purdue is not devoid of players with a past history of being on the wrong side of the law.

Hope's football team could have competed with the Longest Yard

Who are the IU shooters and why are you arguing this in an MSU thread? Pretty odd aren’t you?
One of the Purdue guys decided to bring an argument that was meant for the national board hear in this thread. So I'll continue to argue it. Are we using McNutt's logic or real logic?

Real Logic:

Fitzner
Andersen
McBob
Morgan
Phinisee
Romeo
Green
Hunter

I leave for a bit and this whole forum is inundated with M$U schlubs and iu trolls. We ever get any mods while I was gone to clean this crap up?

MCDAA or Jordan Brand All Americans recruits that stayed four years:

Mateen Cleaves
Kelvin Torbert
Paul Davis
Brandon Cotton (Transferred)
Kalin Lucas
Keith Appling
Branden Dawson
*Joshua Langford
*Cassius Winston

*Entering Junior Year

Izzo has more MCDAA that never made the NBA than those that did. The ones that did got out of East Lansing early. Not listed is Adreian Paybe who was the 20th ranked player in his class and Izzo "developed" him in his four years. Harris & Bridges both saw their draft stock drop after returning after their freshman campaign.

Izzo doesn't have a track record of making pros. Final Fours come at the cost of kids futures. Purdue doesn't have the track record of Final Fours, but can't say the same about players futures.

Shannon Brown
JJJ

Those were a couple of Izzo's top 10 5-stars who had success in the NBA.

One of the Purdue guys decided to bring an argument that was meant for the national board hear in this thread. So I'll continue to argue it. Are we using McNutt's logic or real logic?

Real Logic:

Fitzner
Andersen
McBob
Morgan
Phinisee
Romeo
Green
Hunter
McBob averages less than 1 theee pointer per game. Morgan and Romeo averages are right at 30%. I don’t care to look up the rest as it’s obvious you don’t understand basketball.

Real Logic:

Fitzner
Andersen
McBob
Morgan
Phinisee
Romeo
Green
Hunter

Morgan? With his 29% career 3-point percentage?

McBob averages less than 1 theee pointer per game. Morgan and Romeo averages are right at 30%. I don’t care to look up the rest as it’s obvious you don’t understand basketball.
Lol how are Morgan and Romeo right at 30%? Morgan shot 38% in conference, and romeo shot 36% in high school on a ton of shoots. McBob will hit around 1-1.5/gm.

Fitzner and Andersen are our best shooters.

C'mon Pete...you know that roles and surrounding personnel change, and that predictions are just that.

Cline averages 4.4 points over three years on about 39% shooting from the floor and from 3pt. But this year? Chances of a healthy Cline averaging 10+ points per game this year? Extremely likely.

Damezi Anderson was a high % 3pt shooter in high school on a loaded team, and Romeo was in the mid-30s while being double and triple teamed. Chances that Romeo is a three point threat and Damezi doesn't get enough run to be one? Almost guaranteed.

And so on. And that's not to puff up the IU guys - only Fitzner is a proven, high-volume 3pt shooter fro three volume years who is still in a really good situation; McRoberts was at 40% on low volume last year, but looks to be a very likely good shooter from 3 on this year's IU squad; all the other predictions are pure speculation.

Lol how are Morgan and Romeo right at 30%? Morgan shot 38% in conference, and romeo shot 36% in high school on a ton of shoots. McBob will hit around 1-1.5/gm.

Fitzner and Andersen are our best shooters.
Nice spin.

Morgan 3 point % 30%
Green 3 point % 33%
Langford 3 point % 33%
McBob 3 point % 39% on 1.2 attempts per game.
Fitzner 3 point % 40% on 1.8 attempts per game.

Yep, that’s a great shooting team ya got.

You should just admit your wishing for a good shooting team and that the numbers don’t support it.

Reactions: SantaBoiler
Nice spin.

Morgan 3 point % 30%
Green 3 point % 33%
Langford 3 point % 33%
McBob 3 point % 39% on 1.2 attempts per game.
Fitzner 3 point % 40% on 1.8 attempts per game.

Yep, that’s a great shooting team ya got.

You should just admit your wishing for a good shooting team and that the numbers don’t support it.
Lol where are you getting the numbers for Langford?

Also, I never stated IU would be a good shooting team. I said they would be a better shooting team than Purdue.

Lol where are you getting the numbers for Langford?

Also, I never stated IU would be a good shooting team. I said they would be a better shooting team than Purdue.

You're simply guessing based on random stats that have been cherry-picked like high school shooting percentage and conference shooting. It's possible but Purdue has more proven shooters than IU.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
What was Cuanzo's 3pt percentage going into his junior year?

Either way, we can revisit this after 10 games or so. I'm very encouraged with the way iu shot the ball last night.

That's one example lol. It's the exception not the norm. I just looked at his stats, it didn't even look like he even attempted 3's really in his first 2 years. I'm seeing 0 attempts per game his freshman year and 0.2 per game his sophomore year.

You're simply guessing based on random stats that have been cherry-picked like high school shooting percentage and conference shooting. It's possible but Purdue has more proven shooters than IU.
Purdue has two proven 40% 3pt shooters at the college level. IU has one.

Either way, we will know more in a couple of weeks. I like where we stand after game 1 though.

So much butthurt from a loser fan base. You guys can only dream of the success coach Izzo has had. It’s good to dream. Keep on dreaming. Boiler up!

Lol yet here you are on the Purdue boards, because your life is a sad joke.

I hope you enjoy rooting for the Michigan State Fighting Larry Nassars.

Last edited:
Of course. Forgive me for not rounding up.

Is 36% good in high school? Seems the more he shot, the more his percentage went down. Do you see that trend?

Just to be clear. Purdue has two players with high volume who are proven 40% shooter from 3. How many does IU have again?

Of course. Forgive me for not rounding up.

Is 36% good in high school? Seems the more he shot, the more his percentage went down. Do you see that trend?

Just to be clear. Purdue has two players with high volume who are proven 40% shooter from 3. How many does IU have again?
You seem to think 36% is pretty good for EB...

As I've stated now, IU has one proven 40% 3 pt shooter in Fitzner.

I didnt say IU would be a good 3pt shooting team. I think they will shoot about 37% as a team. I just said they would be a better shooting team than Purdue who I think will be around 34%.

I didnt say IU would be a good 3pt shooting team. I think they will shoot about 37% as a team. I just said they would be a better shooting team than Purdue who I think will be around 34%.

Why do you think IU will be 37% and Purdue will be 34%?

Why do you think IU will be 37% and Purdue will be 34%?
We lost one shooter from last year (Rojo). Morgan was a 38% shooter during conference, so I expect him to be about that this season. Obviously getting Fitzner helps since he is a career 41% shooter. McBobs wont be a deer in headlights this year when he gets an open shot. Last year he passed up many wide open opportunities at the beginning of the year. Andersen is a very good 3pt shooter. Green has games where he shoots lights out and games where he couldn't throw it in the ocean. Hopefully he finds some middle ground and becomes consistent this year.

Purdue's big thing is that you lost 3 VERY good shooters. EB and Hunter project to make up for some of that, but those are huge shoes to fill. I expect Carsens percentage to go down with higher volume and more tightly contested shots. Teams will be keying on him this year (see last night).

IU had a very similar situation with the 13-14 team. We lost Hulls, Oladipo, and Watford. We still had some solid shooters (Yogi 40%, Vonleh 48%), but as a team, we were awful from 3.

Reactions: Boiler4life92

You are putting words into my mouth. I said we have two proven shooters in Cline and Edwards. The others I am not sure how they will shoot. I don’t think Romeo will increase his percentage as teams will be keying on him too, see your statement above, and the line is further back. Quicker and bigger defenders and his game is getting to the basket, getting fouled and getting to the line. You keep saying “during conference”, but Morgan has never been a good shooter from deep, I doubt that changes. Fits doesn’t shoot enough to warrant a good shooter at 40% and the same goes for McBob, but it’s your fantasy.

You are putting words into my mouth. I said we have two proven shooters in Cline and Edwards. The others I am not sure how they will shoot. I don’t think Romeo will increase his percentage as teams will be keying on him too, see your statement above, and the line is further back. Quicker and bigger defenders and his game is getting to the basket, getting fouled and getting to the line. You keep saying “during conference”, but Morgan has never been a good shooter from deep, I doubt that changes. Fits doesn’t shoot enough to warrant a good shooter at 40% and the same goes for McBob, but it’s your fantasy.

Fitzner has been a proven high-volume 3 point shooter. Especially when you consider that he's a 6'10" kid who played about 18.5 mpg at St. Mary's. Fitzner has shot 314 three pointers in three years at a 41.4% total clip.

In fact, Fitzner, in about ten minutes less per game, shot exactly one more total three pointer than Vincent Edwards the last three years, and connected at a higher percentage.

As a comparison, Cline has shot 319 three pointers in three years at a 39.8% total clip while averaging about one minute per game less than Fitzner.

Fitzner has made more three pointers than Cline in the three years with a higher shooting %
, and I don't think that anyone here (myself included) would say that Cline (or Vincent Edwards) is less than a proven, high-value outside shooter.

Also - in my opinion, the loss of Haas is going to be a significant drag on Purdue's three point efficiency. That low post presence that can't be single covered by pretty much anyone in the college game made those Purdue shooters look really good.

Last edited:
A. I didnt use Romeo to answer why we would be better.

B. Fitzner and Cline both average 3 attempts per game from 3. Does Cline not count as a good shooter either?

C. As I stated McBobs was scared to shoot the ball the first half of last season. He will attempt at least 3 per game this year.

D. We will know more in a couple of weeks. I like where IU stands at this point. Have a good weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT