ADVERTISEMENT

Shrewsbury story on the athletic

delish1

Sophomore
Feb 4, 2004
I really hope painter and Shrewsbury have a handshake 3 year deal and then he leaves for a power 5 job. Could be a great coaching tandem. Have to think Shrewsbury would be able to recruit with this quote about why he prefers college.

"My personality is more geared toward the college side. I’m a relationships guy. If you would ask anybody that’s run across me, I value relationships, continuing and maintaining and having those. That’s something you get in college. You recruit a guy from the time he’s 16 years old. You see them through college and then after college."

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
I really hope painter and Shrewsbury have a handshake 3 year deal and then he leaves for a power 5 job. Could be a great coaching tandem. Have to think Shrewsbury would be able to recruit with this quote about why he prefers college.

"My personality is more geared toward the college side. I’m a relationships guy. If you would ask anybody that’s run across me, I value relationships, continuing and maintaining and having those. That’s something you get in college. You recruit a guy from the time he’s 16 years old. You see them through college and then after college."

I think you take a guy with that resume for as long as you can get him.

He’s here for a reason, to get additional college experience and exposure to put him in a head coaching job where he can be successful. I don’t see that happening after one year unless Purdue has a blow out year, but as soon as he gets that opportunity he should and I believe will take it.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I think you take a guy with that resume for as long as you can get him.

He’s here for a reason, to get additional college experience and exposure to put him in a head coaching job where he can be successful. I don’t see that happening after one year unless Purdue has a blow out year, but as soon as he gets that opportunity he should and I believe will take it.

Right now, it looks like the Butler job is likely to open up within the next 12-36 months.

Micah Shrewsberry is from Indy ... played at Cathedral ... played at Hanover ... assisted at Butler, Purdue, IUSB, Depauw, Wabash.

I'm not saying Butler is going to take him, but they have a history of signing a HC with no HC experience/success. They did that with Jordan. Holtmann had very little success (1 winning season at Gardner Webb). Brandon Miller before him had no HC experience. Brad Stevens before him had no HC experience.

I think this move could have been strategic, leaving BRAD STEVENS' staff ... moving back to the midwest ... being an assistant for one of the premier college coaches in the country ... a college coach who KNOWS how to put together a team ... (think: "The Butler Way").

I'm reading tea leaves...

It was a great article. I loved his impressions about both CMP and Stevens and their similarities. I think this is a slam dunk hire. But you’re right, 3 years is probably the max with him.

Right now, it looks like the Butler job is likely to open up within the next 12-36 months.

Micah Shrewsberry is from Indy ... played at Cathedral ... played at Hanover ... assisted at Butler, Purdue, IUSB, Depauw, Wabash.

I'm not saying Butler is going to take him, but they have a history of signing a HC with no HC experience/success. They did that with Jordan. Holtmann had very little success (1 winning season at Gardner Webb). Brandon Miller before him had no HC experience. Brad Stevens before him had no HC experience.

I think this move could have been strategic, leaving BRAD STEVENS' staff ... moving back to the midwest ... being an assistant for one of the premier college coaches in the country ... a college coach who KNOWS how to put together a team ... (think: "The Butler Way").

I'm reading tea leaves...
I don't see him at Butler, but I do see someone other than Lavell being the head coach after this season. I thought they screwed the pooch when they hired a guy with Lavell's abysmal record.

Reactions: Knights2715
I don't see him at Butler, but I do see someone other than Lavell being the head coach after this season. I thought they screwed the pooch when they hired a guy with Lavell's abysmal record.
You also didn’t see him as our assistant so.....

Reactions: Purdue85
Don't rule out Rick Pitino somewhere in there. Their fanbase would take him in a heartbeat.
Man, you would think the IU program would learn their lesson. Hire a cheater and expect him not to cheat? Pitino has been dirty for years, with shoe money and other illegal benefits going to recruits and their families. Ugh!

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Man, you would think the IU program would learn their lesson. Hire a cheater and expect him not to cheat? Pitino has been dirty for years, with shoe money and other illegal benefits going to recruits and their families. Ugh!
Delusional and desperate is a bad combination.

I check out their board maybe 1 or 2 times each year -- usually when I see a sudden drop in them trolling our board and I wonder what is going on. I checked it out yesterday and could only shake my head. Some of them would hire Samscum again if they thought it would get them back in the national discussion. Some of them have convinced themselves that they never fell out of it. The IU glory days were THEIR glory days, and nothing has really changed... in their minds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT