ADVERTISEMENT

Short-handed women tough one out at Wisconsin

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
On a 3PT shot by Oden with 11 seconds left, Purdue women won a closely-contested-all-the-way game without the play of injured Karissa McLaughlin, 62-59. Ae'rianna Harris did not start due to her ankle injury but soon came in and was stellar with 23 pts and 12 rebonds setting a Purdue record in total career double-doubles. Daigne and Whilby (off the bench) also played well with Traylor doing a good job taking over for McLaughlin.

We know Wisconsin is not that good this year but a loss here would have been a blow to B1G tournament seeding and any NCAA Tournament hopes for Purdue. They showed their toughness by winning despite the loss of one of their "Big 3".

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Certainly couldn't lose this one if they want to make the NCAA tournament. The ESPN bracketologist had us in prior to this game so I'd imagine we're still in.

Reactions: DocRon
A maddening game to watch as we kept getting small leads and giving them back. Needed it and now need to beat a hungry Illinois team. Any idea if Mac will be back by Sunday? She really stirs the stick a lot and was clearly missing tonight.

Reactions: DocRon
A maddening game to watch as we kept getting small leads and giving them back. Needed it and now need to beat a hungry Illinois team. Any idea if Mac will be back by Sunday? She really stirs the stick a lot and was clearly missing tonight.
The fact that she did not even travel with the team to this game makes me believe her playing Sunday would be unlikely.

I live in Champaign and have attended the Purdue game here every year (except when they did not play here of course) since 1998 and I think the Boilers have only lost twice here in all that time. But Illinois gave Indiana a real battle last night and without Mac, if that is true, they might be able to pull the upset. Our NCAA hopes would take a severe blow if that happens. Not going to beat MD and OSU has been playing way better than when we beat them early in the season. Crucial time.
--Observation: Oden is a strange player. At time, unstoppable and at times disappears. It was like she did not exist in the 3rd Q last night, then came on in the 4th in a big way and won the game. Strange.
Also, Traylor is an enigma. She is one of our best scorers, yet continually passes up good shots. When she is aggressive, it is almost always positive.
Also, last night Harris was the star or the game, but, though they could not stop her, we went thru periods where we didn't have her down low and ignored her a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT