ADVERTISEMENT

Shaka my man!

Okay, when they list their majors and they are anything other than OLS or a business major, we can revisit this... Purdue is known for engineering and AG. Athletes don't choose those majors (although they constantly talk about doing engineering during a recruitment until they realize how hard it is).

Holy crap, dude. Your arrogance is unbelievable.

I've known quite a few OLS majors, all are quite intelligent and have carved out a very lucrative career using their God-given intelligence and talents.

OLS is not a cakewalk, in spite of how you're trying to frame it.

Holy crap, dude. Your arrogance is unbelievable.

I've known quite a few OLS majors, all are quite intelligent and have carved out a very lucrative career using their God-given intelligence and talents.

OLS is not a cakewalk, in spite of how you're trying to frame it.
I also know a few OLS grads who have been quite successful. I also never said OLS was a cakewalk. No major is a cakewalk at a Big Ten school. It is however the easiest major at Purdue which is why athletes flock to it. The same can be said about Sports Marketing at IU.

You obviously didn’t read the thread if you thought my point was that OLS was a cakewalk or that it couldn’t lead to a comfortable living.

I also know a few OLS grads who have been quite successful. I also never said OLS was a cakewalk. No major is a cakewalk at a Big Ten school. It is however the easiest major at Purdue which is why athletes flock to it. The same can be said about Sports Marketing at IU.

You obviously didn’t read the thread if you thought my point was that OLS was a cakewalk or that it couldn’t lead to a comfortable living.

"however"... that's no different than "but".

It means, "everything I wrote before 'however' is to be discounted as a pile of steaming bullsh*t".

You need to stop. But, alas... it's doubtful you can.

"however"... that's no different than "but".

It means, "everything I wrote before 'however' is to be discounted as a pile of steaming bullsh*t".

You need to stop. But, alas... it's doubtful you can.
Are you suggesting OLS is just as hard as an engineering major at Purdue? It’s the easiest major on campus and that’s why athletes flock to it. That’s a fact. Maybe things have changed since you went there.

This is the same guy that destroyed us in the NCAA tournament while at VCU. How dare you support him... Would I take him as an eventually replacement for MP. HELL YEAH!!!

How long you been on these boards? I've wanted Shake at Purdue for a long time.

We've got to be the only Rival's board other than Texas with multiple Shaka threads

375x500.249.jpg

If UT fires Shaka, will you still want him?

It's an interesting question. But he's not getting fired.
However, if Painter doesn't get to the FF in the next 3 years with the recruits and teams he's putting together, that'll be 20 years and a change has to be made.

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider
However, if Painter doesn't get to the FF in the next 3 years with the recruits and teams he's putting together, that'll be 20 years and a change has to be made.
What if Painter wins the next 3 Big Ten championships and doesn’t make a final 4? Still want a change?

it would probably prove that like Keady, he was a good conference coach but a bad tourney coach.

Edey’s played 4 games. Yes he’s definitely surprised thus far but teams now have tape on him. He’s still a force due to his sheer size but his production and minutes are going to decrease once Purdue starts playing P5 competition.
How's IU going to defend him Mo? If I'm Painter, Edey gets a touch every time down the court. Is Race going to stop him? Trace?

Reactions: Purdue85
Neither did last years team...

True that, and while I know beating IU is the benchmark goal of any Purdue season, my comment about Purdue this year remains. I don’t think they’re very good. Purdue at least had a defensive identity last year. Your front court can’t defend without fouling.

True that, and while I know beating IU is the benchmark goal of any Purdue season, my comment about Purdue this year remains. I don’t think they’re very good. Purdue at least had a defensive identity last year. Your front court can’t defend without fouling.

Always laugh when I hear IU fans bring this up. It’s not close to accurate but funny nonetheless. It’s been so easy to beat you lately I always look forward to playing teams like MSU more than IU.

Always laugh when I hear IU fans bring this up. It’s not close to accurate but funny nonetheless. It’s been so easy to beat you lately I always look forward to playing teams like MSU more than IU.

Wouldn’t be saying it if it weren’t true. There’s a reason Painter didn’t take a lot of heat for going 16-15 in his 15th year as a head coach. And for a good reason...

• Haha
Reactions: boiler1987
Wouldn’t be saying it if it weren’t true. There’s a reason Painter didn’t take a lot of heat for going 16-15 in his 15th year as a head coach. And for a good reason...

I’m guessing an Elite 8 year run the year before played a pretty big role in that. Certainly more than beating an average IU team twice.

I’m guessing an Elite 8 year run the year before played a pretty big role in that. Certainly more than beating an average IU team twice.

I see Purdue struggling to go .500 this year. In the event, wonder the reaction for a coach so deep in his tenure? Guessing probably hinges on the results of a few in-state games.

I see Purdue struggling to go .500 this year. In the event, wonder the reaction for a coach so deep in his tenure? Guessing probably hinges on the results of a few in-state games.

Probably not that big of a deal even if we finish around .500. And he’s never recruited at this level in his tenure. The overall talent in the ‘20-‘22 classes are unlike anything he’s brought in yet. ‘22 class is likely to have 3 4* guys before their junior year is over.

Matt is 15-12 in the NCAA tournament.

Not sure that qualifies as "a bad tourney coach".

Do you think he's a good tourney coach? He's had 1 E8 in 16 years and that's only because he had the best scorer in college basketball.
He's had few first round flops and I'm not sure he's beaten any higher seeds (maybe like an 8/9, but that doesn't really count).

Do you think he's a good tourney coach? He's had 1 E8 in 16 years and that's only because he had the best scorer in college basketball.
He's had few first round flops and I'm not sure he's beaten any higher seeds (maybe like an 8/9, but that doesn't really count).
This is dumb. Carsen was a beast but he didn’t win those games all alone. That team played very good defense and had enough scorers to support Carsen when he was being targeted on by the defense. Without Cline, the Tennessee game is probably a loss. Grady and Wheeler hits timely 3’s and grabbed a lot of rebounds. Haas and Haarms defended the basket and drew double teams which allowed our shooters to score. Hunter and Sasha also hit some shots that mad that team tough to beat.
Painter built that team and although Carsen was a beast in the tourney, Painter put the players in a position to beat the best and if not for a fluke play, they would have beat the best.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
This is dumb. Carsen was a beast but he didn’t win those games all alone. That team played very good defense and had enough scorers to support Carsen when he was being targeted on by the defense. Without Cline, the Tennessee game is probably a loss. Grady and Wheeler hits timely 3’s and grabbed a lot of rebounds. Haas and Haarms defended the basket and drew double teams which allowed our shooters to score. Hunter and Sasha also hit some shots that mad that team tough to beat.
Painter built that team and although Carsen was a beast in the tourney, Painter put the players in a position to beat the best and if not for a fluke play, they would have beat the best.

Haas wasn't on that team and no, without Carsen, that team probably loses to Nova in the second round.

2009 beat #4 seed Washington in the second round (4/5) and 2012 beat #7 seed St. Mary's in round of 64 (7/10). Trying to be objective, I would say he is above average tourney coach due some luck. There are certainly better ones with better results.

2009 beat #4 seed Washington in the second round (4/5) and 2012 beat #7 seed St. Mary's in round of 64 (7/10). Trying to be objective, I would say he is above average tourney coach due some luck. There are certainly better ones with better results.

Obviously, it's very debatable, but in his 16 years, I don't think he's beaten (other than St.Mary's, but are we really going to pound our chest about beating a 7 seed St. Mary'?) a seed more than 1 see higher? But, he's been beaten by lower seeds more often than he's beaten higher seeds.
The main reason is, he hasn't had elite guards (until Carsen comes along and look what happens). Guard play is the most critical position in the tourney and Painter just hasn't been able to recruit enough difference-makers at the position.

You positioned Painter as being "a bad tourney coach".

Again...

Matt is 15-12 in the NCAA tournament.

You're going to be hard-pressed to twist that into being bad, but have at it.

Reactions: mathboy
Obviously, it's very debatable, but in his 16 years, I don't think he's beaten (other than St.Mary's, but are we really going to pound our chest about beating a 7 seed St. Mary'?) a seed more than 1 see higher? But, he's been beaten by lower seeds more often than he's beaten higher seeds.
The main reason is, he hasn't had elite guards (until Carsen comes along and look what happens). Guard play is the most critical position in the tourney and Painter just hasn't been able to recruit enough difference-makers at the position.

Not a fair argument if we have been the better seed in the majority of the tournament games we’ve played. Not as many opportunities for upsets. If we were a 8-10 seed more often, we might have more upsets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT