ADVERTISEMENT

Set the tone early

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
I want to see our guards try to blow by Galloway or Junior High School early and often. They can't continue to hand-check and not get called for it. One or two early nickel-dimers will set the tone for the entire game. That will loosen everything up for us on the offensive end.

Defensively, a little taste of their own medicine would be great. Make it hard for them to get it into The Junkyard Demon and then quick variable doubles with solid rotations to cover Kopp and Junior High School.

Gillis will eat Race Thompson's lunch all day long.

I want to see our guards try to blow by Galloway or Junior High School early and often. They can't continue to hand-check and not get called for it. One or two early nickel-dimers will set the tone for the entire game. That will loosen everything up for us on the offensive end.

Defensively, a little taste of their own medicine would be great. Make it hard for them to get it into The Junkyard Demon and then quick variable doubles with solid rotations to cover Kopp and Junior High School.

Great post

What's your prediction for the Line? -5 or -6 is what I'm thinking.

And interestingly, comparing to other games, the Purdue line is bigger than Kansas (-7) at home against inferior West Virginia, and also bigger than Alabama (-7.5) at home against inferior Arkansas.

And interestingly, comparing to other games, the Purdue line is bigger than Kansas (-7) at home against inferior West Virginia, and also bigger than Alabama (-7.5) at home against inferior Arkansas.
Quickly though we are down to 7.5 and Alabama moved to 8.5.

I think Purdues comes out with a ton of energy. Gets up big. The game in a vacuum didn't mean much for Indiana. Indiana just doesn't play well on the road and no one has grown to challenge Edeys size. It's a Big Ten road game. Whistle will favor the home team. Just how it be. I really don't care if we lose. Next week's home games are way more important for Indiana.

Double TJD, let JHS shoot, play Galloway over the top of the screen, don't let Kopp slip loose and run like heck - they aren't playing deep - make fatigue a factor. Oh, and Mackey, do your thing!!

I agree, but this has to be a set where Zach has the position where he walls up TJD so he can't come over. He blocked one of Braden's shots last time while the Fbombs were flowing, but before the donuts or bagels were thrown towards the Purdue bench. Course that is better than the quarters they used to throw at Pat Keady. Zach may need to do a bit of that walling up early...or maybe they call hand checking by the defense and straight arming when they have the ball? That D gets a lot softer if "freedom of movement" is in play and/or TJD can't get to the ball. Quite simply the most important thing beside Purdue doing what Purdue is suppose to do is that the refs do what they are suppose to do.

Ya know if the D is using the back side of their hand (which they haven't) then they got a debate as to how much or whether they are "controlling" the freedom of movement of the offensive player. Open hand on the player is a different story.

Remember when you used to teach a bent elbow for dribble protection? The first half Galloway straight armed the defender's chest and the second half he backed off before it was called. Just that one area if called early is a plus. Take lysol since you don't know who may be sitting close...

Double TJD, let JHS shoot, play Galloway over the top of the screen, don't let Kopp slip loose and run like heck - they aren't playing deep - make fatigue a factor. Oh, and Mackey, do your thing!!
Not being very deep is a prerequisite. Oh, I see you were talking number of players playing. Mix up D on TJD, force baseline on Galloway and Shitfino...especially taking away Shitfino's right dribble...hard closeout on kock and play off Race, but close enough to keep him off the board. Seriously, don't know how the game unfolds or who the refs will be, but take them to task physically on the boards, running the court, getting the 50-50s and exert more physical energy than they are willing to exert and play smart which is also understanding what the refs are calling at their respective locations and adapt as necessary if physically possible. Ohhhhh...make the open shots and Fts while not having turnovers. Get a good start and maintain it when the subing happens and that will be a solid start. Wonder if Trey has a better showing..

Reactions: Schnelk
Agree that we have to force the refs to make calls and their overly aggressive and hand to hand style defense.

Agree that we have to force the refs to make calls and their overly aggressive and hand to hand style defense.
if in "your space", slap his hands down to draw attention to not allowing freedom of movement. Wish I was going, but I'll be in Purdue gear in Columbus, IN (in proximity to many IU fans while driving) with some Butler people (25) and some that are Purdue fans as well since their children went to Purdue. I hope to see the same Butler fan that told me Trent Sisley to Purdue was a done deal and get more than just a "look" as to why he believes that. He wasn't a regular Butler fan in the group and have no idea what or if he knows anything that makes him believe what he believes.

I think the ultimate tone setter is Gillis doing a stone cold stunner on TJD.

When Woodson throws a chair in disbelief, Gillis is only assessed a flagrant, Gillis uses it to hit Kopp in the face, and is ejected. The crowd goes nuts. IU loses by 75.

if in "your space", slap his hands down to draw attention to not allowing freedom of movement. Wish I was going, but I'll be in Purdue gear in Columbus, IN (in proximity to many IU fans while driving) with some Butler people (25) and some that are Purdue fans as well since their children went to Purdue. I hope to see the same Butler fan that told me Trent Sisley to Purdue was a done deal and get more than just a "look" as to why he believes that. He wasn't a regular Butler fan in the group and have no idea what or if he knows anything that makes him believe what he believes.
in Columbus? do you know the Hazelden's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT