ADVERTISEMENT

Say it’s so, Joe

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
Purdue got a great plug on ESPN’s Gameday from guest picker and living legend Joe Willie Namath, as he named our trio for joining his own alma mater as the two schools producing the most Super Bowl champion quarterbacks.

“Well, I’m going with Purdue, man. Those quarterbacks I followed in history -- like Lenny Dawson and Bob Griese and Drew Brees -- you see, they and Alabama are the only two teams that have three quarterbacks with Super Bowls. So I’m sticking with Bob Griese and Lenny Dawson and those Purdue Boilermakers.”

Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit picked us, too, with Kirk calling Rondale Moore “the best player in the game.”

For anyone who doesn’t know Joe, he predicted his Jets would beat the favored Colts in Super Bowl III, then delivered, the focal point of his Hall of Fame career.

But Joe wasn’t just about “Broadway.” When my nephew was a 5-year-old in Riley with cancer, Dick Vitale came in with an ESPN camera crew, lights and reporters and crowed for the cameras. Joe Namath came in one day, all on his own, just to quietly wish him well. You can guess who the kid still remembers best.

Purdue got a great plug on ESPN’s Gameday from guest picker and living legend Joe Willie Namath, as he named our trio for joining his own alma mater as the two schools producing the most Super Bowl champion quarterbacks.

“Well, I’m going with Purdue, man. Those quarterbacks I followed in history -- like Lenny Dawson and Bob Griese and Drew Brees -- you see, they and Alabama are the only two teams that have three quarterbacks with Super Bowls. So I’m sticking with Bob Griese and Lenny Dawson and those Purdue Boilermakers.”

Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit picked us, too, with Kirk calling Rondale Moore “the best player in the game.”

For anyone who doesn’t know Joe, he predicted his Jets would beat the favored Colts in Super Bowl III, then delivered, the focal point of his Hall of Fame career.

But Joe wasn’t just about “Broadway.” When my nephew was a 5-year-old in Riley with cancer, Dick Vitale came in with an ESPN camera crew, lights and reporters and crowed for the cameras. Joe Namath came in one day, all on his own, just to quietly wish him well. You can guess who the kid still remembers best.
A 5th grade classmate of mine got leukemia, and ended up in Riley. He was a huge IU fan, unfortunately. Bob Knight visited him in the hospital, and gave him a basketball autographed by the entire IU team. Wasn’t publicized at all, we just saw the photos his mom took.

A 5th grade classmate of mine got leukemia, and ended up in Riley. He was a huge IU fan, unfortunately. Bob Knight visited him in the hospital, and gave him a basketball autographed by the entire IU team. Wasn’t publicized at all, we just saw the photos his mom took.
I think that is how such things should be handled, with no publicity. Otherwise with it appearing in the media, I have to question whether it was a publicity stunt. I'm sure that plenty of other famous people do similar things and don't want it publicized. Even I, a nobody, prefer to remain anonymous on charitable acts.

Last edited:
I think that is how such things should be handled, with no publicity. Otherwise with it appearing in the media, I have to question whether it was a publicity stunt. I'm sure that plenty of other famous people do similar things and don't want it publicized. Even I, a nobody, prefers to remain anonymous on charitable acts.
Yeah I was impressed. This was the mid 80s, and Knight was at the height of his powers in Indiana... I’ve always tried to remember that when talking about how big a jerk he could be.

Reactions: Purdue85
Yeah I was impressed. This was the mid 80s, and Knight was at the height of his powers in Indiana... I’ve always tried to remember that when talking about how big a jerk he could be.
One major problem with Knight was that he did the obnoxious, rotten stuff in front of the world (and cameras) while he did some really nice things in private. Still don’t like him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT