ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Next

It was Corey Sanders, TJ. 6'2" good guard and Rutger's leading scorer '16.'17. and '18.....left early declaring for the draft but never caught on in the NBA. Playing in Europe now I think.
Thanks. I knew the one on one play extended past Geo's time. I still don't know their players this year to have a feel for who will have who and maybe why? I need to watch a few more teams and find the time to do it! Yeah, Corey was a really good one on one player.

McConnell is a very good defender as well. Going to have to try and keep Mulcahy out of the lane, too.
Any effective offensive player getting into the lane that causes Zach to help starts problems,,,more than likely with the second rotation or not covering your teammate that helped cover Omoruyi when Zach goes to help. Purdue has been good at helping and recovering overall, but if Rutgers goes a bit 1-4 low and pulls the help away from the ball on top...that isolation puts Purdue guards in some difficulty. Purdue can't lose Braden in this game due to fouls. He has never been in foul trouble this year, and "may be" harder to replace than Zach since there isn't another that does the things he does as well...especially if a team is trapping and such. Course if Rutgers can't shoot behind the arc...that secondary rotation won't be quite as big a problem.

Talked about how I'm going to see live the football game and basketball game and Kim didn't want to spend hours in Lafayette and so I'll head over around half time of the bowl game. I record both and so I can watch what I miss, but would like to see them live. What a day of Boiler action!!!

Last edited:
A quick breakdown for those who haven't seen RU yet this year:

Starters:
Omoruyi - Jr, 6-11, 240. 15.0 pts/10.1 rbs/1.8 blocks. Has developed his offense a bit more this year so it's not just dunks and putbacks, and has added some post moves and face up shooting. Those are still a bit of a work in progress, imo, but they are something he just didn't do last year really at all. Will be interesting to see if he can defend Edey and stay out of foul trouble.

Mulcahy - Sr, 6-6, 210. 7.1 pts/3.8 rb/4.1 ast. Has become "the straw that stirs the drink" for the offense. Patient, will back his man down with the dribble to threaten at the post, but is generally looking to force the defense to react to him so he can pass to the open man. Can hit threes (.333 this year, but .359 career) but doesn't take many - we've wanted him to take more. Definitely a scrapper, and hurt his shoulder early in the season diving for a loose ball against Columbia.

McConnell - 5th-Sr, 6-7, 195. 10.6 pts/5.5 rb/3.4 ast/2.3 stl. Reigning B1G DPOY and has carried that through to this year. Does a little bit of everything, but his scoring mostly comes in the midrange or off the break.

Spencer - Sr, 6-4, 205. 12.8 pts/2.6 rb/3.7 ast/2.7 stl. Our one true deep threat (.433 this year, .396 career) who is a catch-and-shoot guy who will also mix in some deliberate penetration - either looking to score or dump to a big after drawing attention. Can look like he's playing slow at times, but he's really crafty playing lanes defensively to disrupt passes and get steals. He's our shooting guard, but has more assists and fewer turnovers than Mulcahy somehow.

Mag - Jr, 6-7, 215. 7.4 pts/5.8 rb. May be the heir apparent to McConnell defensively - one of the best press traps I've ever seen. Generally gets his offense closer to the basket, off of putbacks and post moves.

Reserves:
Hyatt - Sr, 6-6, 225. 10.7 pts/4.5 rb. Shares time with Mag (25.8 min/g vs. Mag's 25.0 min/g), but comes off the bench. Generally looking to score and is quick to pull the trigger, but has been better about passing this season. Still has some turnovers from trying to do too much. Defense has improved from last year.

Simpson - Fr, 6-4, 170. 7.7 pts/1.5 rb/2.0 ast. Our fastest guard, and a change of pace from the more deliberate "pass first" style of Mulcahy, Spencer, and McConnell. He's looking to push the ball more, and will sometimes take ill-advised too-deep threes because he sees a bit of daylight. Has a ton of upside and a high ceiling, but he's still putting together his should/shouldn't instincts at game speed.

Woolfolk - Fr, 6-9, 250. 3.9 pts/2.8 rb. Plays a limit role backing up Omoruyi, but has been a bit of a surprise taking over the backup spot from Reiber as a freshman. Came in more game-ready than most of us expected, and has shown composure on offense/defense. Edey will be his first "big time" test, imo - definitely a tougher assignment than TJD/Key.

Overall:
Defensively, this team has been very connected. Pike switches defenses regularly throughout the game, even during the middle of possessions, and he likes to bring pressure in the backcourt. If Mag is on the floor, there will be double-team traps set in the backcourt and when crossing the timeline. Spencer/McConnell are always eyes-open for steals on the perimeter (combining for 5.0/game). I'd imagine Edey will see a lot of guards digging down on him when he's got the ball in the post, and a lot of doubling and racing to recover (which we've been a bit better with this year). In man, we can switch most positions defensively with a lot of size and length.

Rutgers is 3rd nationally in 3P% defense at .246, 5th in FG% defense at .361, 11th in steals at 10.2, 15th in turnover margin at +4.9/game. But we also haven't played a great out of conference slate, so it will be interesting to see how we do tonight.

Offensively, as cubuffsdoug has said above, we share the ball much better this year. We tend to work inside out. Generally we'll look to get the ball in to Omoruyi and let him either work on the block or draw a double and kick out; or Mulcahy will back his man down to the high post and then look to pass to the open man. We don't really have much of a "primary" scorer, but the most likely sources of points will be Omoruyi (post ups, putbacks, and interior passes from guards), Spencer (kickout threes and layups), McConnell (midrange, breakouts off the steal, and occasional open threes), and Hyatt (anywhere he can get a shot up). The team is very opportunistic on offense and will take the open shot (other than Mulcahy, who will frustratingly give up good shots at times in hopes of opening up a better shot for someone else).

Very curious to see how the rebounding battle goes. We have a lot of guys who crash the boards, and are 47th in ORb and 64th in DRb (33rd in overall RB).... but Purdue is an exceptional rebounding team (29th in ORb, 19th in DRb, 5th in overall RB), led by Edey's 13.6 rb/g.

Looking forward to a great game and a measuring stick on both teams.

A quick breakdown for those who haven't seen RU yet this year:

Starters:
Omoruyi - Jr, 6-11, 240. 15.0 pts/10.1 rbs/1.8 blocks. Has developed his offense a bit more this year so it's not just dunks and putbacks, and has added some post moves and face up shooting. Those are still a bit of a work in progress, imo, but they are something he just didn't do last year really at all. Will be interesting to see if he can defend Edey and stay out of foul trouble.

Mulcahy - Sr, 6-6, 210. 7.1 pts/3.8 rb/4.1 ast. Has become "the straw that stirs the drink" for the offense. Patient, will back his man down with the dribble to threaten at the post, but is generally looking to force the defense to react to him so he can pass to the open man. Can hit threes (.333 this year, but .359 career) but doesn't take many - we've wanted him to take more. Definitely a scrapper, and hurt his shoulder early in the season diving for a loose ball against Columbia.

McConnell - 5th-Sr, 6-7, 195. 10.6 pts/5.5 rb/3.4 ast/2.3 stl. Reigning B1G DPOY and has carried that through to this year. Does a little bit of everything, but his scoring mostly comes in the midrange or off the break.

Spencer - Sr, 6-4, 205. 12.8 pts/2.6 rb/3.7 ast/2.7 stl. Our one true deep threat (.433 this year, .396 career) who is a catch-and-shoot guy who will also mix in some deliberate penetration - either looking to score or dump to a big after drawing attention. Can look like he's playing slow at times, but he's really crafty playing lanes defensively to disrupt passes and get steals. He's our shooting guard, but has more assists and fewer turnovers than Mulcahy somehow.

Mag - Jr, 6-7, 215. 7.4 pts/5.8 rb. May be the heir apparent to McConnell defensively - one of the best press traps I've ever seen. Generally gets his offense closer to the basket, off of putbacks and post moves.

Reserves:
Hyatt - Sr, 6-6, 225. 10.7 pts/4.5 rb. Shares time with Mag (25.8 min/g vs. Mag's 25.0 min/g), but comes off the bench. Generally looking to score and is quick to pull the trigger, but has been better about passing this season. Still has some turnovers from trying to do too much. Defense has improved from last year.

Simpson - Fr, 6-4, 170. 7.7 pts/1.5 rb/2.0 ast. Our fastest guard, and a change of pace from the more deliberate "pass first" style of Mulcahy, Spencer, and McConnell. He's looking to push the ball more, and will sometimes take ill-advised too-deep threes because he sees a bit of daylight. Has a ton of upside and a high ceiling, but he's still putting together his should/shouldn't instincts at game speed.

Woolfolk - Fr, 6-9, 250. 3.9 pts/2.8 rb. Plays a limit role backing up Omoruyi, but has been a bit of a surprise taking over the backup spot from Reiber as a freshman. Came in more game-ready than most of us expected, and has shown composure on offense/defense. Edey will be his first "big time" test, imo - definitely a tougher assignment than TJD/Key.

Overall:
Defensively, this team has been very connected. Pike switches defenses regularly throughout the game, even during the middle of possessions, and he likes to bring pressure in the backcourt. If Mag is on the floor, there will be double-team traps set in the backcourt and when crossing the timeline. Spencer/McConnell are always eyes-open for steals on the perimeter (combining for 5.0/game). I'd imagine Edey will see a lot of guards digging down on him when he's got the ball in the post, and a lot of doubling and racing to recover (which we've been a bit better with this year). In man, we can switch most positions defensively with a lot of size and length.

Rutgers is 3rd nationally in 3P% defense at .246, 5th in FG% defense at .361, 11th in steals at 10.2, 15th in turnover margin at +4.9/game. But we also haven't played a great out of conference slate, so it will be interesting to see how we do tonight.

Offensively, as cubuffsdoug has said above, we share the ball much better this year. We tend to work inside out. Generally we'll look to get the ball in to Omoruyi and let him either work on the block or draw a double and kick out; or Mulcahy will back his man down to the high post and then look to pass to the open man. We don't really have much of a "primary" scorer, but the most likely sources of points will be Omoruyi (post ups, putbacks, and interior passes from guards), Spencer (kickout threes and layups), McConnell (midrange, breakouts off the steal, and occasional open threes), and Hyatt (anywhere he can get a shot up). The team is very opportunistic on offense and will take the open shot (other than Mulcahy, who will frustratingly give up good shots at times in hopes of opening up a better shot for someone else).

Very curious to see how the rebounding battle goes. We have a lot of guys who crash the boards, and are 47th in ORb and 64th in DRb (33rd in overall RB).... but Purdue is an exceptional rebounding team (29th in ORb, 19th in DRb, 5th in overall RB), led by Edey's 13.6 rb/g.

Looking forward to a great game and a measuring stick on both teams.
Thank you. I really appreciate more insight from a fan that doesn't just throw out numbers. My biggest concern on O is handling the length/pressure if there is a slow whistle on the perimeter. My biggest concern on D is backing down smaller guards into the lane if help D is pulled away...say a 1-4 low. Course both coaches have worked on both.

Purdue's freshman PG (Braden Smith 6') has been exceptional in making Purdue's O go and has never been in foul trouble. Pressure has not been an issue with him on the court, but now it is Big officials and sometimes they watch the game and forget the whistle. Other ball handlers need to have good spacing and be in position when any traps occur. Purdue swithes a lot, but so far are doing a bit better staying with the primary offensive player this year. I hate pulling Braden off the ball on D, but won't be surprised if Ethan taks Mulcahy just to take away the size advantage of Mulcahy and still have a good D player on him.

Guessing Braden has spencer "IF" Mulcahy is an issue of getting into the lane. Fletcher Loyer perhaps on McConnell, Caleb or Mason or Trey on Mag and of course Zach on Omoruyi. Then again if high ball screens "become" an issue maybe we see Caleb defending Omoruyi if Mag is truly playing or only really effective close to the rim where Zach has him...keeping Zach in close on D.

The game has it's own life and much of this may not happen, but the two themes on O and D for Purdue I mentioned are two of the concerns Rutgers present. Again, thank you for all the insight.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Thank you. I really appreciate more insight from a fan that doesn't just throw out numbers. My biggest concern on O is handling the length/pressure if there is a slow whistle on the perimeter. My biggest concern on D is backing down smaller guards into the lane if help D is pulled away...say a 1-4 low. Course both coaches have worked on both.

Purdue's freshman PG (Braden Smith 6') has been exceptional in making Purdue's O go and has never been in foul trouble. Pressure has not been an issue with him on the court, but now it is Big officials and sometimes they watch the game and forget the whistle. Other ball handlers need to have good spacing and be in position when any traps occur. Purdue swithes a lot, but so far are doing a bit better staying with the primary offensive player this year. I hate pulling Braden off the ball on D, but won't be surprised if Ethan taks Mulcahy just to take away the size advantage of Mulcahy and still have a good D player on him.

Guessing Braden has spencer "IF" Mulcahy is an issue of getting into the lane. Fletcher Loyer perhaps on McConnell, Caleb or Mason or Trey on Mag and of course Zach on Omoruyi. Then again if high ball screens "become" an issue maybe we see Caleb defending Omoruyi if Mag is truly playing or only really effective close to the rim where Zach has him...keeping Zach in close on D.

The game has it's own life and much of this may not happen, but the two themes on O and D for Purdue I mentioned are two of the concerns Rutgers present. Again, thank you for all the insight.

"Now it is Big officials and sometimes they watch the game and forget the whistle".... this speaks to my soul, lol, especially after the final shot at Ohio State.

Painter is an exceptional coach and will have the team prepared. I'm a fan of his, and I think he and Pike could start a "mutual admiration society". Pikiell's style has been a good counterpoint to his over the last few years, but (as always) it will come down to execution.

Mulcahy's an interesting matchup because he's got forward size with a point guard mentality. He's not looking to score, but he will if given the opportunity. Teams have had better luck not reacting to him when he threatens closer to the basket, and staying on their man - because he's looking to exploit the defense's reactions more so than looking for his shot. He's gotten into trouble sometimes getting too deep with nowhere to go with the ball, because the defense stayed home and nothing opened up - but he's also had strong offensive games in the past when he's had a significant size advantage on the defender.

Offensively, I'm guessing we'll try to bait Edey to respond to penetration to the paint and then dump off at the last second to Omoruyi/Mag for easier buckets at the rim. We don't really have guys who can break down a man 1v1 except for Simpson. It's more about moving the ball to get the defense to open up a soft spot. Since we don't have a primary scorer, it's not like we're trying to get 1-2 guys in position to score... we're just trying to get to any guy in a weak point of the defense.

And we're also looking to score in transition before the defense can get set. Omoruyi may be the second fastest guy down the court besides Simpson, and we may be looking to get some points that way if possible - or just to tire Edey out a bit.

Mag gets the starting nod over Hyatt because of his defense. His offense is generally in the post, and he has a few moves there - pivots, step back floaters, etc. He also benefits from Spencer/Mulcahy interior passing, turnovers off traps/press, and putbacks (2nd on the team in ORb). He isn't shy about taking open threes, but he hasn't been very good there (career .220) - I generally don't want to see him shooting from more than 10 feet out very often.

Reactions: tjreese

@RUChoppin outside of Mulcahy "backing down" the D into the lane I can't recall another player Purdue has played that did the same for 43 years. That player was Magic Johnson...

"Now it is Big officials and sometimes they watch the game and forget the whistle".... this speaks to my soul, lol, especially after the final shot at Ohio State.

Painter is an exceptional coach and will have the team prepared. I'm a fan of his, and I think he and Pike could start a "mutual admiration society". Pikiell's style has been a good counterpoint to his over the last few years, but (as always) it will come down to execution.

Mulcahy's an interesting matchup because he's got forward size with a point guard mentality. He's not looking to score, but he will if given the opportunity. Teams have had better luck not reacting to him when he threatens closer to the basket, and staying on their man - because he's looking to exploit the defense's reactions more so than looking for his shot. He's gotten into trouble sometimes getting too deep with nowhere to go with the ball, because the defense stayed home and nothing opened up - but he's also had strong offensive games in the past when he's had a significant size advantage on the defender.

Offensively, I'm guessing we'll try to bait Edey to respond to penetration to the paint and then dump off at the last second to Omoruyi/Mag for easier buckets at the rim. We don't really have guys who can break down a man 1v1 except for Simpson. It's more about moving the ball to get the defense to open up a soft spot. Since we don't have a primary scorer, it's not like we're trying to get 1-2 guys in position to score... we're just trying to get to any guy in a weak point of the defense.

And we're also looking to score in transition before the defense can get set. Omoruyi may be the second fastest guy down the court besides Simpson, and we may be looking to get some points that way if possible - or just to tire Edey out a bit.

Mag gets the starting nod over Hyatt because of his defense. His offense is generally in the post, and he has a few moves there - pivots, step back floaters, etc. He also benefits from Spencer/Mulcahy interior passing, turnovers off traps/press, and putbacks (2nd on the team in ORb). He isn't shy about taking open threes, but he hasn't been very good there (career .220) - I generally don't want to see him shooting from more than 10 feet out very often.
Yeah OSU was a tough one. Really hurt Rutgers with a loss that should have been a win. I think Purdue pushes the ball when Rutgers misses and they get a long board or turnover. Purdue can run and will want to do such when there is an advantage to steal some points and knowing when and when not will be important. Purdue has a lot of depth to help out at the 4 and 5 spots, but it is foul trouble on Braden Smith that would cause the most problems I believe. He stirs the drink and Zach is the hub...

Two freshman guards for Purdue will get a lot of minutes. Purdue is VERY young with essentially...potentially everyone but one coming back next year.

Appreciate the insight...always enjoy talking the game and getting perspectives from others. Thank you. Drawing a blank but trying to recall the guard that maybe was 2 or 3 years older than Geo before Geo was Geo. Could that be Corey Sanders? Thinking he was the other one on one player that could get into a really hot streak that extended the one on one play a few more years? I wish I knew more about the size for the other players and get an idea who Braden guards. Guessing McConnell has Loyer or Brandon. Course we have Omoruyi defending Zach. Does Mulcahy take Braden or Ethan? Don't know the 4 man and who has Caleb, Mason and or Trey. I just don't know the team this year to have a feel on who defends who on both teams. I just expect the usual rugged, close game. FWIW, I became a fan of Pikiell early when they rebounded and defended tough. You knew right then that he was building a team around things that carry. Also, doesn't he try to recruit a lot of 6'4" to 6'6" players over the years to switch a lot?
Coach Pikiell (aka Coach Pike) loves quick guards who can take you off the bounce. Corey Sanders was the first for Pike, followed by Geo Baker and Ron Harper. I call this year a mini-gap year, as Rutgers doesn't have a dominant guard with that ability. There is a player (Derek Simpson) on the roster with that ability, but he's only a freshman. Simpson has shown flashes of taking anyone off the bounce, but he's still learning. The best way to think of Simpson is a young version of Sanders, but with more range on his shot. Expect Rutgers to return to this approach starting next year. Rutgers has two commits (Jamichael Davis, 6'2, and Dellquan Warren, 6'2), whose game is built on taking defenders off the bounce and hardnose on the ball defense. The guards may be getting shorter, but the wings are getting longer. Rutgers signed 6'8 SG/SF Gavin Griffiths in November.

Here's the lineup Purdue will face:
Cam Spencer, 6'4 guard transfer from Loyola (Md.), averaging 14 pts. And shoots 43% from three.

Paul Mulcahy, 6'7 PG, led the B1G in assists last year and is at it again. If he has a smaller guard on him, he will post up and run the offense from there. One thing he is doing more of is hitting that mid-range shot consistently. Mulcahy is average as an on-the-ball defender, but he's better at playing the passing lanes. He is physical and a strong rebounder.

Caleb McConnell is a 6'7 guard who is the reigning B1G defensive player of the year. He has recovered from a knee injury (pre-season) that robbed him of the season's first few games and mobility. He's back to his usual self but has added the scoring dimension that Rutgers fans haven't seen since his first year. He came in with Harper and Montez Mathis (St. John's now), and all of them could go on a tear and score. If there is one thing I wished McConnell maintained from his first year is his 3pt shot which was more consistent.

Mawot Mag is a 6'8 swiss army knife. Mag is the most improved player on the team. Everyone thinks McConnell is the best defender on Rutgers, but most Rutgers fans will tell you Mag is better. Think of a bigger version of McConnell, who is more athletic with a wingspan of a 6'11 player. He can guard one thru four on the court. The knock on Mag's game is his love to shoot 3s. He couldn't piss in the ocean if he were standing in it. Mag has developed an excellent little low-post game. That's where he should stay. IMO Mag is a better rebounder than Cliff Oromuyi when he's down on the blocks playing the 4 position. FYI: Mag, in practice, can hit 3s like a layup, but for some reason, he struggles during the game.

Cliff Oromuyi is a 6'11 player who has expanded his game to include a low-post game. Rutgers hasn't had a post game since Deshawn Freeman in the mid-2010s. Cliff has an excellent little hook game with either hand. That's because the basketball looks like a baseball in his hands. Occasionally, Cliff will step out to shoot a 3. He's not a high percent threat, but the shot looks good, leaving his hands. Coach Pike said in an interview that Cliff couldn't shoot a 3 until he scores at least 10 points. The knock on Cliff is the mental lapse on defense as he tries to block every shot.

The bench is the most consistent Pike has had since arriving at Rutgers. The guys going in know their roles and do them well.

Simpson is a 6'3 PG who has Corey Sanders game baked into him. The difference between Simpson and Sander is Simpson is a better defender, a must under Pike, and has more range on his shot. His inexperience as he learns the game on this level holds him back from being more consistent. But there are 3 to 4 minutes stretches where Simpson takes over the game and is the best player on the court.

Aundre Hyatt is 6'7 245 lbs. His size reminds you of Harper, but that's where the comparison ends. Hyatt is strong and at his best, rebounding loose balls for easy putbacks. He's a true garbage man on the miss shoots. Hyatt likes using his size and athletic abilities on the blocks. If he hits his first 3, you need to guard him throughout that half, but if he misses it, let him shoot as much as he wants. 🤣

FR. Antwone Woolfolk (6'9. 255 lbs.) is a Pike type of recruit. Someone who is overlooked like a Geo Baker, but turns out to be better than you thought. Woolfolk was deciding on committing to Cincinnati or Boston College as a TE for football. Pike got him to commit before the start of his senior season (football), and Woof put all of his energy into basketball. He dropped from 275 to 255 by the time he reported. His footwork in the low post is beautiful, and he's great at getting position at both ends of the court. Woof has shown the ability to score, but he doesn't demand the ball. Some of that might be due to youth. What Woof does well is pass out of the post for easy shots.

Dean Reiber is 6'10, 235, but is receiving fewer minutes this year with the arrival of Woolfolk. Reiber is more of a stretch 4 who can shoot the 3. Unfortunately, his confidence is shaken since he's not playing as much as he did last year. Reiber was good for 14/15 minutes a game. Now he is down to about 7/8 minutes. He wants to run and fill the lane or pop out the 3pt line.

Reactions: tjreese
Looking fo
Coach Pikiell (aka Coach Pike) loves quick guards who can take you off the bounce. Corey Sanders was the first for Pike, followed by Geo Baker and Ron Harper. I call this year a mini-gap year, as Rutgers doesn't have a dominant guard with that ability. There is a player (Derek Simpson) on the roster with that ability, but he's only a freshman. Simpson has shown flashes of taking anyone off the bounce, but he's still learning. The best way to think of Simpson is a young version of Sanders, but with more range on his shot. Expect Rutgers to return to this approach starting next year. Rutgers has two commits (Jamichael Davis, 6'2, and Dellquan Warren, 6'2), whose game is built on taking defenders off the bounce and hardnose on the ball defense. The guards may be getting shorter, but the wings are getting longer. Rutgers signed 6'8 SG/SF Gavin Griffiths in November.

Cam Spencer, 6'4 guard transfer from Loyola (Md.), averaging 14 pts. And shoots 43% from three.

Paul Mulcahy, 6'7 PG, led the B1G in assists last year and is at it again. If he has a smaller guard on him, he will post up and run the offense from there. One thing he is doing more of is hitting that mid-range shot consistently. Mulcahy is average as an on-the-ball defender, but he's better at playing the passing lanes. He is physical and a strong rebounder.

Caleb McConnell is a 6'7 guard who is the reigning B1G defensive player of the year. He has recovered from a knee injury (pre-season) that robbed him of the season's first few games and mobility. He's back to his usual self but has added the scoring dimension that Rutgers fans haven't seen since his first year. He came in with Harper and Montez Mathis (St. John's now), and all of them could go on a tear and score. If there is one thing I wished McConnell maintained from his first year is his 3pt shot which was more consistent.

Mawot Mag is a 6'8 swiss army knife. Mag is the most improved player on the team. Everyone thinks McConnell is the best defender on Rutgers, but most Rutgers fans will tell you Mag is better. Think of a bigger version of McConnell, who is more athletic with a wingspan of a 6'11 player. He can guard one thru four on the court. The knock on Mag's game is his love to shoot 3s. He couldn't piss in the ocean if he were standing in it. Mag has developed an excellent little low-post game. That's where he should stay. IMO Mag is a better rebounder than Cliff Oromuyi when he's down on the blocks playing the 4 position. FYI: Mag, in practice, can hit 3s like a layup, but for some reason, he struggles during the game.

Cliff Oromuyi is a 6'11 player who has expanded his game to include a low-post game. Rutgers hasn't had a post game since Deshawn Freeman in the mid-2010s. Cliff has an excellent little hook game with either hand. That's because the basketball looks like a baseball in his hands. Occasionally, Cliff will step out to shoot a 3. He's not a high percent threat, but the shot looks good, leaving his hands. Coach Pike said in an interview that Cliff couldn't shoot a 3 until he scores at least 10 points. The knock on Cliff is the mental lapse on defense as he tries to block every shot.

The bench is the most consistent Pike has had since arriving at Rutgers. The guys going in know their roles and do them well.

Simpson is a 6'3 PG who has Corey Sanders game baked into him. The difference between Simpson and Sander is Simpson is a better defender, a must under Pike, and has more range on his shot. His inexperience as he learns the game on this level holds him back from being more consistent. But there are 3 to 4 minutes stretches where Simpson takes over the game and is the best player on the court.

Aundre Hyatt is 6'7 245 lbs. His size reminds you of Harper, but that's where the comparison ends. Hyatt is strong and at his best, rebounding loose balls for easy putbacks. He's a true garbage man on the miss shoots. Hyatt likes using his size and athletic abilities on the blocks. If he hits his first 3, you need to guard him throughout that half, but if he misses it, let him shoot as much as he wants. 🤣

FR. Antwone Woolfolk (6'9. 255 lbs.) is a Pike type of recruit. Someone who is overlooked like a Geo Baker, but turns out to be better than you thought. Woolfolk was deciding on committing to Cincinnati or Boston College as a TE for football. Pike got him to commit before the start of his senior season (football), and Woof put all of his energy into basketball. He dropped from 275 to 255 by the time he reported. His footwork in the low post is beautiful, and he's great at getting position at both ends of the court. Woof has shown the ability to score, but he doesn't demand the ball. Some of that might be due to youth. What Woof does well is pass out of the post for easy shots.

Dean Reiber is 6'10, 235, but is receiving fewer minutes this year with the arrival of Woolfolk. Reiber is more of a stretch 4 who can shoot the 3. Unfortunately, his confidence is shaken since he's not playing as much as he did last year. Reiber was good for 14/15 minutes a game. Now he is down to about 7/8 minutes. He wants to run and fill the lane or pop out the 3pt line.
looking forward to this one and the context helps. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I caught very little of the OSU game and the IU game. However, I think it was Simpson that maybe took a bad shot or made a bad decision and then went on a terror for a couple of minutes in a game. Am I thinking of Simpson? Purdue has some depth with each player having just a bit different strengths. Purdue will play nine...maybe 10.

Smith PG-better athlete than many think. Can shoot and drive the ball, but is a pass first PG "up to this game". He "may" look for his shot a bit more, not much, from earlier this year. His court savvy is beyond his years and his vision and passing is elite. His motor never stops on D or O

Fletcher Loyer...his roommate and shooter who has not shot as well as the open looks he has. Braden will know exactly where he is every second and a few frames ahead of many defensive players. Their chemistry will only improve over time. He was national 3pt shooter just prior to this year at Purdue, but his numbers don't support that. Still, Pike does not want him going off and will defend him accordingly. He also is not afraid of putting the ball on the deck and getting to the rim or pulling up mid range.

Zach-what is there to say. He is a load and improved over last year. Hope his FT shooting is very good as it too is improved.

Ethan, solid D player...good passer and can handle the ball. Very cerebral and will make smart plays many times. Size helps feed the post and can defend 2-4 generally effectively. Not a shooter behind the arc, but hasn't been shy and has been effective at times. Will help break press...trap etc. Thinking he has been solid on his Fts this year.

Caleb-will play 4 mostly, but can get on low post as well and is quick around the basket especially on baseline when he can drop step of spin. Very quick for 6'10 whose motor keeps churning. Was supposed to be a good 3 ball man, but that has not been consistent. He will make a lot of effort plays and if he finds his stroke on the perimeter...he just makes Purdue more lethal. He could be a big help on high ball screens if playing smaller ball or Zach and he switch a bit on Mag. He is a lefty.

subs-

Mason-been a starter and could start this game. Total effort guy with strong body for his size...will mix it up physically. Best shooter out of the three fours and overall really good FT shooter as are many that came out of New Castle, IN. Cerbral and just a really solid player that "could" light it up for a few 3 balls. Has improved his game by putting the ball on the deck when hard closeouts.

Trey Kaufman-Renn-6'9" skilled offensive player on the blocks with his jump hook primarily. Will shoot the 3 ball although he like Caleb have not been as effective as earlier season outlooks had them. Usually shoot hard on early Fts until he gets comfortable. Course most of the team has been that way. 2nd best low post player that will keep the pressure on Rutgers defending down low when Zach goes to the bench.

Brandon Newman...if he is focused and not rushed may be the best 3 ball maker on the team. He can now put the ball on the floor and get to the rim or drive midrange if hard close outs. Great stroke typically and another good FT shooter. He is around 6'5", rebounds well and can at times be really good on the ball defender. He and Trey will be primary O players when 2nd team is on the floor.

David Jenkins-transfer portal senior- known as scorer and 3 point shooter. That hasn't happend, but is a threat to go off. Primarily a sub for Braden, but Purdue sometimes plays them together. Like Braden he is only around 6'. Doesn't have the same skills as Braden...more of a 2.

There you have the main 9

Brian Waddell a RS freshman like Trey hurt his ACL and seems to be behind as a result. Still a smart player at 6'8" that can defend the 3 primarily. Not sure if he gets minutes this game since his injury effects still linger a bit.

Purdue will play 3 freshmen a LOT of minutes this game as they have all year (Braden, Fletcher, Trey) and Brian will get some minutes in some games...maybe every game????

Whoa, 6 to 8 losses? That means we will lose some home games, or lose all away games
Are you serious?

Even at 30% clip for 3's may be serviceable for pulling out wins because of rebounding.

This team may lose 2 to 3 games the rest of the way, if at all.
Definitely capable of winning it out. I would say at 40% chance.
My Boiler shades may be darker than yours..

Boiler Up!!
You can have Boiler colored glasses all you want, but math is not your friend here. Even if you give us a very high 70% chance to win every game, that would result in a less than 0.2% (not 2%, 0.2%) chance to win out.

I caught very little of the OSU game and the IU game. However, I think it was Simpson that maybe took a bad shot or made a bad decision and then went on a terror for a couple of minutes in a game. Am I thinking of Simpson? Purdue has some depth with each player having just a bit different strengths. Purdue will play nine...maybe 10.

Smith PG-better athlete than many think. Can shoot and drive the ball, but is a pass first PG "up to this game". He "may" look for his shot a bit more, not much, from earlier this year. His court savvy is beyond his years and his vision and passing is elite. His motor never stops on D or O

Fletcher Loyer...his roommate and shooter who has not shot as well as the open looks he has. Braden will know exactly where he is every second and a few frames ahead of many defensive players. Their chemistry will only improve over time. He was national 3pt shooter just prior to this year at Purdue, but his numbers don't support that. Still, Pike does not want him going off and will defend him accordingly. He also is not afraid of putting the ball on the deck and getting to the rim or pulling up mid range.

Zach-what is there to say. He is a load and improved over last year. Hope his FT shooting is very good as it too is improved.

Ethan, solid D player...good passer and can handle the ball. Very cerebral and will make smart plays many times. Size helps feed the post and can defend 2-4 generally effectively. Not a shooter behind the arc, but hasn't been shy and has been effective at times. Will help break press...trap etc. Thinking he has been solid on his Fts this year.

Caleb-will play 4 mostly, but can get on low post as well and is quick around the basket especially on baseline when he can drop step of spin. Very quick for 6'10 whose motor keeps churning. Was supposed to be a good 3 ball man, but that has not been consistent. He will make a lot of effort plays and if he finds his stroke on the perimeter...he just makes Purdue more lethal. He could be a big help on high ball screens if playing smaller ball or Zach and he switch a bit on Mag. He is a lefty.

subs-

Mason-been a starter and could start this game. Total effort guy with strong body for his size...will mix it up physically. Best shooter out of the three fours and overall really good FT shooter as are many that came out of New Castle, IN. Cerbral and just a really solid player that "could" light it up for a few 3 balls. Has improved his game by putting the ball on the deck when hard closeouts.

Trey Kaufman-Renn-6'9" skilled offensive player on the blocks with his jump hook primarily. Will shoot the 3 ball although he like Caleb have not been as effective as earlier season outlooks had them. Usually shoot hard on early Fts until he gets comfortable. Course most of the team has been that way. 2nd best low post player that will keep the pressure on Rutgers defending down low when Zach goes to the bench.

Brandon Newman...if he is focused and not rushed may be the best 3 ball maker on the team. He can now put the ball on the floor and get to the rim or drive midrange if hard close outs. Great stroke typically and another good FT shooter. He is around 6'5", rebounds well and can at times be really good on the ball defender. He and Trey will be primary O players when 2nd team is on the floor.

David Jenkins-transfer portal senior- known as scorer and 3 point shooter. That hasn't happend, but is a threat to go off. Primarily a sub for Braden, but Purdue sometimes plays them together. Like Braden he is only around 6'. Doesn't have the same skills as Braden...more of a 2.

There you have the main 9

Brian Waddell a RS freshman like Trey hurt his ACL and seems to be behind as a result. Still a smart player at 6'8" that can defend the 3 primarily. Not sure if he gets minutes this game since his injury effects still linger a bit.

Purdue will play 3 freshmen a LOT of minutes this game as they have all year (Braden, Fletcher, Trey) and Brian will get some minutes in some games...maybe every game????
@RUChoppin I'm guessing that Purdue doesn't start with the adjustment on defending Mulcahy but maybe Braden starts out on him and see how it goes. If BRaden gets enough D to slow his time down and Mulcahy passes first and Braden denies a bit...the clock may be a friend in that scenario. Watch the first TV TO and see if Purdue brings in 2 maybe 4 depending if one came in due to a foul. Typically Purdue's next unit is better than the opponent. Still, I know all those X and Os are general themes and it is a players game that must see and respond on the court with each coaches desires. It essentially is in their hands for all teh split second decisions that take place on the court!

@RUChoppin I'm guessing that Purdue doesn't start with the adjustment on defending Mulcahy but maybe Braden starts out on him and see how it goes. If BRaden gets enough D to slow his time down and Mulcahy passes first and Braden denies a bit...the clock may be a friend in that scenario. Watch the first TV TO and see if Purdue brings in 2 maybe 4 depending if one came in due to a foul. Typically Purdue's next unit is better than the opponent. Still, I know all those X and Os are general themes and it is a players game that must see and respond on the court with each coaches desires. It essentially is in their hands for all teh split second decisions that take place on the court!

Substitutions will be interesting. There are times Pike can get a bit cute and try to steal time for the starters by bringing in some weird combos. I doubt we'll see Reiber much unless Omoruyi/Wolf get into foul trouble. My guess is that the primary 6 guys will all see a lot of minutes, with Wolf/Simpson making up the difference in an 8 man rotation (with very possibly some spot minutes from Reiber/Miller).

We generally try to get Omoruyi going early, so I'd expect the first few possessions to try to work it to him in the post (or to try for an alley-oop attempt). Mulcahy isn't a "go immediately to his own offense" sort of guy - he'll feel things out and will try to get others involved before he looks for his, even when he's got a mismatch (which gives our board no end to frustration - if he'd look for his own points more often, defenses would have to respect him more, which would open up more passing opportunities).

Smith is giving up height to everyone on our team - the shortest guy in our rotation is 6-4 - so we may try to exploit that with bigger guards setting up in the post? I don't know, but I don't think that will be the primary strategy out of the gate.

Cubuffsdoug and RUChoppin pretty much summed up Rutgers this year. I will add the following:

1. Our full court press has been the best I’ve seen at Rutgers, elite at times. Mawot Mag is like a one man press at the top, but we funnel the inbound into the corner and then trap with two players. Our guys are long and athletic and relentless in the press. We turned over Wake Forest about 6 or 7 times in the first half alone by pressing.

2. Our starting lineup goes 6-11, 6-8, 6-7, 6-7, and 6-4. You can guarantee that our game plan will include any of Mulcahy, McConnell, Mag, or Spencer who has a size mismatch backing down their defender in the post. Whoever Smith is guarding will post up.

3. Our offense is definitely less ISO this year. We have better post play with Omoruyi, Mag, and Hyatt, not to mention our guards backing down smaller opponents, and our passing has been better and more frequent than it was when Baker and Harper dominated the ball. An illustration is that in our last game, we had a whopping 30 assists on 34 made FGs. Granted, it was against a cupcake, but it’s indicative of the change in mindset.

4. I will be interested to see who McConnell guards. He is 6-7, but still quick and has long arms, so he has shown an ability to guard smaller, quicker guards and shut them down. So you might see him on Smith in an attempt for RU to choke off your facilitator.

I’m hoping for a close game, but I see this as a Purdue 64-60 win.

Good luck after tonight. I’m a big fan of Purdue and Painter when you’re not playing Rutgers.

Cubuffsdoug and RUChoppin pretty much summed up Rutgers this year. I will add the following:

1. Our full court press has been the best I’ve seen at Rutgers, elite at times. Mawot Mag is like a one man press at the top, but we funnel the inbound into the corner and then trap with two players. Our guys are long and athletic and relentless in the press. We turned over Wake Forest about 6 or 7 times in the first half alone by pressing.

2. Our starting lineup goes 6-11, 6-8, 6-7, 6-7, and 6-4. You can guarantee that our game plan will include any of Mulcahy, McConnell, Mag, or Spencer who has a size mismatch backing down their defender in the post. Whoever Smith is guarding will post up.

3. Our offense is definitely less ISO this year. We have better post play with Omoruyi, Mag, and Hyatt, not to mention our guards backing down smaller opponents, and our passing has been better and more frequent than it was when Baker and Harper dominated the ball. An illustration is that in our last game, we had a whopping 30 assists on 34 made FGs. Granted, it was against a cupcake, but it’s indicative of the change in mindset.

4. I will be interested to see who McConnell guards. He is 6-7, but still quick and has long arms, so he has shown an ability to guard smaller, quicker guards and shut them down. So you might see him on Smith in an attempt for RU to choke off your facilitator.

I’m hoping for a close game, but I see this as a Purdue 64-60 win.

Good luck after tonight. I’m a big fan of Purdue and Painter when you’re not playing Rutgers.
I think that Mulcahy’s post game might be a bit much for a player of Smith’s height so I would suspect that Loyer would guard Mulcahy with Smith on Spencer and Morton on McConnell.

You can have Boiler colored glasses all you want, but math is not your friend here. Even if you give us a very high 70% chance to win every game, that would result in a less than 0.2% (not 2%, 0.2%) chance to win out.
Well, how does an adage go?
"Let your Faith be bigger than your Fears"?

My Faith for this team is higher than my fears.
Not saying they will win out, but no more than 3 losses in the league play.

Boiler Up!!

Rutgers just looks to make the game as ugly as possible. They don't shoot the ball well. They won't be allowed to play rugby on the road(you'd think). Big Ten loves them some Rutgers for some reason, so look to get screwed on some calls or non calls in favor of Rutgers. They are the leagues darling now.

How the freshmen handle the first five minutes will be key.

Feed Edey often, attack them rim and get to the line.

Well, how does an adage go?
"Let your Faith be bigger than your Fears"?

My Faith for this team is higher than my fears.
Not saying they will win out, but no more than 3 losses in the league play.

Boiler Up!!
Hey knock yourself out. Nothing to do with faith or fear just logic and reality. I hope you are right and we win them all. Just letting you know that 1990 UNLV against a weak schedule was maybe 10-15% to win their last 18 games and we aren't in the same universe this year so you might just want to take it down a notch with such public proclamations if you don't want people to think you are cuckoo for cocoa puffs. 3 losses is certainly more in the realm of possibility.

Rutgers just looks to make the game as ugly as possible. They don't shoot the ball well. They won't be allowed to play rugby on the road(you'd think). Big Ten loves them some Rutgers for some reason, so look to get screwed on some calls or non calls in favor of Rutgers. They are the leagues darling now.
This (mucking up the game) may have been the case 4 years ago, but not this year. Rutgers just plays really good defense, and yes it’s physical, but it’s an insult to say that we just play rugby. We play defense like it was meant to be played.

This (mucking up the game) may have been the case 4 years ago, but not this year. Rutgers just plays really good defense, and yes it’s physical, but it’s an insult to say that we just play rugby. We play defense like it was meant to be played.
Will let you know how good their D is in a few hours.

Grabbing, slapping, pushing, hand checking isn't how defense was meant to be played. Rutgers literal game plan is, "they won't call every foul." Big Ten loves it. Also why the Big Ten can't win in March.

Reactions: Dryfly88

It's true that we don't generally shoot the ball well, and there seems to be a perpetual "why can't we hit layups" thread on our board. And yes, the goal is to make the game a slog for the other team, being as disruptive as possible and forcing teams deep into the shot clock.

We definitely prefer a looser whistle, but have gotten hit with some quick fouls at points this season. Omoruyi picked up his second at the 16:40 mark of the first half of Indiana and at the 15:12 mark of the first half against Seton Hall... changed the nature of both games. I'm hoping he doesn't pick up any cheap moving screens and actually commits his fouls defending Edey tonight.

Edey's a tough assignment, and I don't think Reiber/Wolf are going to be able to adequately defend him if Omoruyi is forced to the bench.

I don't know about the league darlings, though - we're still waiting for some officiating scales to tip back after getting screwed in Columbus. The league's apology and $5 might be enough for a cup of coffee.

It's true that we don't generally shoot the ball well, and there seems to be a perpetual "why can't we hit layups" thread on our board. And yes, the goal is to make the game a slog for the other team, being as disruptive as possible and forcing teams deep into the shot clock.

We definitely prefer a looser whistle, but have gotten hit with some quick fouls at points this season. Omoruyi picked up his second at the 16:40 mark of the first half of Indiana and at the 15:12 mark of the first half against Seton Hall... changed the nature of both games. I'm hoping he doesn't pick up any cheap moving screens and actually commits his fouls defending Edey tonight.

Edey's a tough assignment, and I don't think Reiber/Wolf are going to be able to adequately defend him if Omoruyi is forced to the bench.

I don't know about the league darlings, though - we're still waiting for some officiating scales to tip back after getting screwed in Columbus. The league's apology and $5 might be enough for a cup of coffee.
Oh they definitely got screwed against OSU. But don't be trying unseat the Big Tens Queen and money maker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT