ADVERTISEMENT

Rondale?

Fact- Rondale missed this game due to “undisclosed injury”.
Fact- Every reporter outside of Purdue homers report that he is out with an injury.
Fact- Rondale has not taken 1 snap 4 weeks into the season.
Fact- you have no idea how much he practiced this week because you don’t now shit
You don’t find it odd that local reporters just say he’s out and nationals have something else?

his camp is spinning

He isn't playing for us this year. That hamstring pull / tear scared the shit out of him. It would me too. Never know when it might just go again. Non-contact injuries screw with an athlete's head.

Reactions: purduepat1969
If you know something solid, say it. If not, quit insisting you do and shut up.
Bottom line he has to have a full week of practice. Can’t knock off the rust with a few non contact practice snaps. He’ll be back to show he can play. If not, it will cost draft positions and rounds.

Reactions: BBG
You don’t find it odd that local reporters just say he’s out and nationals have something else?

his camp is spinning
His camp is definitely spinning. They’re spinning that he isn’t hurt so it doesn’t affect his draft stock. That’s why only Purdue reporters are reporting he isn’t hurt. They’re trying to protect their star prospect. And you’re the only one buying it.

Reactions: purduepat1969
We'll all know more moments before kickoff 6:30 pm CST Saturday.
I wouldn't get hopes too high though. I know 0 regarding his status. I'm just going off of Brohm's consistent no announcement of players status.
I don't give a damn if he never plays another down. The secretiveness of why he's not playing should be embarrassing to him and Purdue football.

Just like REM says “Everybody Hurts”. Big George is injured. Can’t believe anyone that follows athletics doesn’t know the difference. Most players at all levels play through the hurt. Rondale is concerned with Rondale. Nothing more and nothing less. I’ll be glad when we don’t talk of him anymore. Past time to move on. If you can’t see the difference between a Karlaftis or Anthrop versus a Rondale or Lorenzo Neal then you need to follow chess. Purdue is known for 3 star kids who play for the love of the game, Purdue and more important each other.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Just like REM says “Everybody Hurts”. Big George is injured. Can’t believe anyone that follows athletics doesn’t know the difference. Most players at all levels play through the hurt. Rondale is concerned with Rondale. Nothing more and nothing less. I’ll be glad when we don’t talk of him anymore. Past time to move on. If you can’t see the difference between a Karlaftis or Anthrop versus a Rondale or Lorenzo Neal then you need to follow chess. Purdue is known for 3 star kids who play for the love of the game, Purdue and more important each other.
Touche! Well played.....

You know that for a fact? I can speculate all i want until Brohm, Moore and co stop being so secretive.
Exactly.

If they don't want the speculation then come out and tell people what is going on. I like Brohm but he's so full of it on the injuries, He keeps saying things like he doesn't know what is going on with the various players. Everyone knows its bull. If we're to believe what was said during the game yesterday, Brohm prepares a whole package for Moore and then waits until game time to find out if he can play. The question is then how is the offense preparing all week? I could see if it were one week but no coach in their right mind would do this for half a season. He has to know how likely it is that Moore is going to play each week before the coaching staff begins practice for the week. If he doesn't know what's going on with some of his key players Purdue has bigger issues than just a few injured players.

Ask yourself this question. It was reported that Moore would play against Illinois during the Iowa game. Now its 3 weeks later and he's still not playing. There is no explanation and people on this board wonder why there is speculation.

I’ve said it. He practiced all week and opted out. He can play but is choosing not to.
A quote from Brohm. Either Brohm is lying or you know nothing. I don't think Brohm is lying...

“Well, he's not ready to play," said Brohm. "I think he's working hard to get back. We’re always hoping to get him back. But I'm not gonna put someone on the field before they're ready to play. So, as soon as he's fully healthy ready to go, he’ll be on the field."

A quote from Brohm. Either Brohm is lying or you know nothing. I don't think Brohm is lying...

“Well, he's not ready to play," said Brohm. "I think he's working hard to get back. We’re always hoping to get him back. But I'm not gonna put someone on the field before they're ready to play. So, as soon as he's fully healthy ready to go, he’ll be on the field."
Being cleared to play by doctors and being willing to play are two different things. Notice the part where he said "hes not ready". Yeah.

Read his quote about Rondale then the quote about GK and compare.

Being cleared to play by doctors and being willing to play are two different things. Notice the part where he said "hes not ready". Yeah.

Read his quote about Rondale then the quote about GK and compare.
So you've spoken to his doctor or have seen the medical report and Rondale's cleared to play?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
So you've spoken to his doctor or have seen the medical report and Rondale's cleared to play?
Round and Round we go. No doctor could disclose that. You know better.

now, others in the department might disclose his status

Reactions: BBG
This take is not smart. Lorenzo Neal is playing at a high level right now and is a pillar on our DL. Without him, teams will run the ball down our throats.

Rondale is hurt and doesn’t play and you impugn him. Karlaftis is hurt and doesn’t play and you glorify him? GTFOH.

Reactions: DannyGranger
No inside knowledge just passing along something I heard from someone who does have connections to Purdue athletics. He indicated that Rondale's camp has not been able to place loss-of-value insurance to compensate him if he is severely injured. Zero idea if that is actually the case, but it seems more plausible to me than an injury and would explain his absence if not really injured.

No inside knowledge just passing along something I heard from someone who does have connections to Purdue athletics. He indicated that Rondale's camp has not been able to place loss-of-value insurance to compensate him if he is severely injured. Zero idea if that is actually the case, but it seems more plausible to me than an injury and would explain his absence if not really injured.
It wouldn't take this long to get insurance. It's all a matter of what you want to pay premium wise. And that shouldn't be an issue.

It wouldn't take this long to get insurance. It's all a matter of what you want to pay premium wise. And that shouldn't be an issue.

Your vast knowledge is based on what your life insurance policy? I have never worked on a loss-of-value policy for an athlete, but I have been involved in the process of key man insurance for face of the company type executives, which is pretty similar other than the company gets the benefit of the policy to compensate it for loss of the executive.

I can say with great confidence that process is far more complicated than your average life insurance policy. As you are undoubtedly aware, such policies are not underwritten based on a pooled risk like your regular way life insurance or auto insurance. Such policies are bespoke policies written against a single individual and are highly complicated policies. Don't take my word for it the NCAA on its own page discussing such policies specifically notes the following "insurers establish this amount based on their unique underwriting evaluation and overall company risk tolerance" and further notes "third-party consultative services from an independent and unbiased perspective may be necessary to navigate the complexity of loss-of-value proposals, forms, and application processes." I am sure the NCAA advises players to engage third-party consultants due to complexity because "It's all a matter of what you want to pay premium wise." Oh yeah, and there is the little fact the NCAA notes on such page that despite providing other catastrophic risk insurance to all athletes that it does not provide loss of value policies specifically due to the complexity and difficultly of pricing the risk related to such policies and the complexity of the terms. Perhaps the NCAA should engage you as a consultant to assist it understanding the great ease in which such policies can be obtained.

Because of the high insured value, the complexity of the risk being insured against and fact that the risk pool is a single individual there are issues of tiered risk retention and/or re-issurance, and the physical is going to be by a doctor specified by the underwriter not just your personal physician. Also, such policies are likely to carry premiums in the low six figure range, which means the athlete likely has to obtain financing to be able to pay the premium which is permitted but subject to the NCAA's not unsurprisingly highly restrictive rules.

Rondale opted back in on 9/24, which means it has been 52 days. Of course, with your vast insurance knowledge, you undoubtedly are aware that virtually all consumer insurance policies are not actually underwritten for the first 30 days and are just bound, i.e. they are still subject to modification and changes to the terms and coverages during that period and in certain states even termination during that period if final underwriting approval is not obtained. As such, I think it is more than possible that a highly complex bespoke insurance policy for a player who has basically not played in a year which makes the determination of his value more difficult as it is unclear what is the baseline outcome (i.e. such policies are not written against just being injured that is what the regular way catastrophic injury and long term disability policies the NCAA offers protect against; loss of value policies are underwritten against reduction in draft value) being insured against taking only marginally longer than it takes State Farm to underwrite a policy on your car where actuarial tables are pretty fixed does not exactly seem a stretch. Again, I am not saying that is the reason, but it fits the fact pattern pretty well and would explain why Purdue's messaging with respect to Rondale has been so odd.

Last edited:
Your vast knowledge is based on what your life insurance policy? I have never worked on a loss-of-value policy for an athlete, but I have been involved in the process of key man insurance for face of the company type executives, which is pretty similar other than the company gets the benefit of the policy to compensate it for loss of the executive.

I can say with great confidence that process is far more complicated than your average life insurance policy. As you are undoubtedly aware, such policies are not underwritten based on a pooled risk like your regular way life insurance or auto insurance. Such policies are bespoke policies written against a single individual and are highly complicated policies. Don't take my word for it the NCAA on its own page discussing such policies specifically notes the following "insurers establish this amount based on their unique underwriting evaluation and overall company risk tolerance" and further notes "third-party consultative services from an independent and unbiased perspective may be necessary to navigate the complexity of loss-of-value proposals, forms, and application processes." I am sure the NCAA advises players to engage third-party consultants due to complexity because "It's all a matter of what you want to pay premium wise." Oh yeah, and there is the little fact the NCAA notes on such page that despite providing other catastrophic risk insurance to all athletes that it does not provide loss of value policies specifically due to the complexity and difficultly of pricing the risk related to such policies and the complexity of the terms. Perhaps the NCAA should engage you as a consultant to assist it understanding the great ease in which such policies can be obtained.

Because of the high insured value, the complexity of the risk being insured against and fact that the risk pool is a single individual there are issues of tiered risk retention and/or re-issurance, and the physical is going to be by a doctor specified by the underwriter not just your personal physician. Also, such policies are likely to carry premiums in the low six figure range, which means the athlete likely has to obtain financing to be able to pay the premium which is permitted but subject to the NCAA's not unsurprisingly highly restrictive rules.

Rondale opted back in on 9/24, which means it has been 52 days. Of course, with your vast insurance knowledge, you undoubtedly are aware that virtually all consumer insurance policies are not actually underwritten for the first 30 days and are just bound, i.e. they are still subject to modification and changes to the terms and coverages during that period and in certain states even termination during that period if final underwriting approval is not obtained. As such, I think it is more than possible that a highly complex bespoke insurance policy for a player who has basically not played in a year which makes the determination of his value more difficult as it is unclear what is the baseline outcome (i.e. such policies are not written against just being injured that is what the regular way catastrophic injury and long term disability policies the NCAA offers protect against; loss of value policies are underwritten against reduction in draft value) being insured against taking only marginally longer than it takes State Farm to underwrite a policy on your car where actuarial tables are pretty fixed does not exactly seem a stretch. Again, I am not saying that is the reason, but it fits the fact pattern pretty well and would explain why Purdue's messaging with respect to Rondale has been so odd.
Thanks for your "assholish" explanation. You may be correct. I'm not experienced in this type of insurance and don't know the steps it takes. I'm perfectly willing to say I'm likely wrong about my previous statement. Thanks for being such a nice guy about it...

And yet... every other big name that opted back in has been out there playing since day 1.. do you really think Shaun Wade, Rashod Bateman, or Pat Freiermuth are out there playing with no insurance policy? My guess is all 3 of them figured out a way to make it happen so they could play.

And yet... every other big name that opted back in has been out there playing since day 1.. do you really think Shaun Wade, Rashod Bateman, or Pat Freiermuth are out there playing with no insurance policy? My guess is all 3 of them figured out a way to make it happen so they could play.
This isn’t about insurance. It’s about Rondale’s hamstring.

As a financial advisor who is life licensed, the above is spot on and similar to my own reaction... Though I had far less motivation to type out such a lengthy reply. Additionally, for what very little it's worth, this has been my thought since a week or two in when Brohm's comments starting to feel a bit odd. I believe this is what's going on (with absolutely no inside insight whatsoever.)

Reactions: NVboiler
As a financial advisor who is life licensed, the above is spot on and similar to my own reaction... Though I had far less motivation to type out such a lengthy reply. Additionally, for what very little it's worth, this has been my thought since a week or two in when Brohm's comments starting to feel a bit odd. I believe this is what's going on (with absolutely no inside insight whatsoever.)

Any guess at what such a $5 million policy would cost for someone who was out most of last season with an injury? Probably closer to $1 million than $100k? Then you don't get hurt and don't get drafted high because you didn't play like your freshman year?

Any guess at what such a $5 million policy would cost for someone who was out most of last season with an injury? Probably closer to $1 million than $100k? Then you don't get hurt and don't get drafted high because you didn't play like your freshman year?
None. No idea. It's a very, very slim few who ever been involved in writing a policy like that on an athlete. I don't suspect any are likely to inhabit this board and I certainly am not one of them.

One thing, as the cost of such a policy will be related to the number of games played, if this is the reason, then the likelihood of Moore playing becomes much greater as the season progresses. Which would be the same if it is in fact injury related.

And one other thing, as he has already been injured, that premium probably should be quite high.

When you say stupid things I’m going to call you out on them, wolegib.
I just echoed others’ posts ! Why were you silent until I said the same thing others said? I guess you had them on ignore? That makes me feel good that you love reading my posts!

NAT could you clarify a post of yours! You said Rondale could play and practiced and was cleared to play, but opted not to play! Are you saying that players now tell their coach whether they want to play or not, and the coach is bowing down to the wishes of the individual player rather than the interest of the team? So college players now tell the coach if they want to play or not?

is that what you implied by saying Moore opted not to play?

I guess you must rag on every one of my posts! I just echoed the sentiments of others in this thread. Yet you chose not to argue with any of them, did you? Do you only read my posts?

Wait... are you two-timin' me, bigs?

You used to say those things only to me.

It used to be special, you and me.

*sigh*....

Now I know there's someone else.

How can I go on...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT