RIP Coach Tiller

Bullwhip Griffith

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 31, 2005
Peru IN
Boiler Nation lost one of its best

images

Still recall seeing him at the Indy 500 pre-race parade in 1997 - prior to his first season.
Pouring down rain and he's sitting up on the back of the convertible, fists pumping the entire lap.
I remember thinking "this guy is gonna be different".
And he was.
RIP Cowboy Joe

Even as I express my condolences for Tiller's passing, I want you all to remember this moment and how it felt. I'm sure Brohm will do great from now on, but there will come a time when even he would struggle a bit. We fired Tiller because he wasn't "good enough," the coach who took us to the Rose Bowl, after a few bad luck in recruiting dragged us down from the national prominence to "just an another bowl team." We all know what happened after that. I never agreed with letting go of Tiller. The man should have died as a Boilermaker. It would have been a great honor, and we missed out on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tweener8292
My son and I had the privilege to visit Coach Tiller in May 2016 at his Buffalo, WY home. What was supposed to be a 30 minute visit turned into over 3 hours of discussion covering all sort of topics. Although we primarily talked about Purdue he was also very interested in native American history and made sure we were going to stop at Little Big Horn which is up the road about 2 hours.

It was an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family.

Wonder what the life-long illness was?

I remember in early August (?), that several former players including Brees visited him at his Wyoming home. One of the players, I forgot who, said that Joe was not doing too well and asked for prayers. The Tiller family quickly responded to that saying he was ok. I think we all sensed that something was not right.

I remember in early August (?), that several former players including Brees visited him at his Wyoming home. One of the players, I forgot who, said that Joe was not doing too well and asked for prayers. The Tiller family quickly responded to that saying he was ok. I think we all sensed that something was not right.

i didn't realize until this recent article,
stating he had a genetic disease diagnosed 20 years ago, with routine treatments, and the recent setback.

http://kowb1290.com/joe-tillers-family-sets-the-record-straight/

Reactions: dbartn
Saw someone on Twitter day they should rename the field to “Tiller Court” to honor him and his basketball on grass that changed not only the B1G but all of college football. Personally, I’d be all for this.

Loved coach Tiller. He came to Purdue my soph year and make football very enjoyable during my time at Purdue.

I was at Purdue as a grad student when he took over as coach, and he brought so much excitement to the program. RIP Coach Tiller.

Reactions: punaj
RIP Coach Tiller. My 11 year old daughter (at the time) and I had a brief chat and were able to take a picture with the Coach at a later 90's spring game. Scrambling to find that picture now. Thank you Coach for everything you did for Purdue and the joy you brought to all Purdue's fans. God Bless.

RIP Coach Tiller. My 11 year old daughter (at the time) and I had a brief chat and were able to take a picture with the Coach at a later 90's spring game. Scrambling to find that picture now. Thank you Coach for everything you did for Purdue and the joy you brought to all Purdue's fans. God Bless.
RIP Coach, thanks for the memories and prayers to his family and friends.

From Uche Nwarneri:

I would like to send all the love and respect out to the man who saw something in me as a highschool player and gave me the opportunity to get an amazing education at a top rate university. A man who gave me a chance to play football in the Big10. A man who saw that my skills could be optimized by moving from DE to OL. He molded me as a young player through fire and steel. He was old school. He was tenacious and he helped us all become men in our time as Boilermakers. A true disciplinarian, but he also had his own sense of humor. And he is the man who will forever be credited with creating the phrase #BOILERUP. Can't believe he is gone, but i will never forget the lessons he taught me on and off the field. R.I.P. Joe Tiller. #BOILERUP

With utmost respect and love,
Uche

Heavy hearted today. That's for sure. Even though we aren't playing, I'll be Boilering up for Joe!

RIP

Reactions: punaj
Michigan fan here.

Coach Tiller taught the game right and was as innovative and creative a head coach as I've ever seen.

Great ambassador for the game of college football and the Big10.

I offer my sincere condolences to the Boiler nation. We have all lost a good one.

BOILER UP!

I was lucky enough to be a student starting in 96 and leaving after graduation in may of 2000. I got to be in Pasadena 25th row on the 50 yard line in 01. I have never been prouder to be a Boiler than that day.

I was also lucky enough to have worked in one of the establishments on Stadium that Coach Tiller would frequent with his family. He was, without a doubt the nicest genuine human being I have ever met for someone with his stature in that town at that time. If you weren't lucky enough to see game at RA during those years, or like me a student then, I cannot explain how unbelievable it was to be at a game then. And Coach Tiller was the reason for all of the joy. My heart is broken like I have lost a family member. I am not a religious person, however I hope there is a heaven for people like Coach Tiller.

Just got back from a long trip to see this sad news. One thing I always liked about Coach Tiller was that he could make light of almost any situation. He was a competitive leader but was never over the top with his profession. Just a down to earth guy. At it's time the Kansas State win was one of the top 5 upsets of all bowl times. I'll remember that game forever. Rest in peace Coach. You will never be forgotten by your fans, a true Boilermaker. The Lord just received a good one.

As an alum X 2 I've endured over half a century of Boiler football. Except for a couple of too brief periods the seasons have been forgettable. The brightest was when Cowboy Joe brought us basketball on grass when he arrived from his beloved WY. The never-ending struggle with the crappiest AD in history it finally became to much and he returned to WY to reclaim his idle flyrod. RIP Coach. May you have endless crisp fall days with sweet water and trout rising to each cast with the occasional memory of the roar of the Boiler faithful in your ears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT