ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Bill Walton

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002

He wasn't everyone's cup of tea as a broadcaster but I enjoyed listening to his games. In color commentary, you can either be informative or entertaining. Too many guys try unsuccessfully to be the former. For me, Walton was entertaining. Yes, often over the top but that was part of it in my opinion. I remember watching a Pacers game back when I still watched the NBA in the late 90's or 2000 and Bill was doing the game. Sam Perkins was playing for the Pacers and was wearing a durag. Walton went on and on about Perkins wearing "a hat" and it just cracked me up.

Was hoping I'd get to hear him on BTN with UCLA and the west coast teams joining but I suppose in a way it is appropriate as he was PAC-12 through and through.

RIP Bill Walton.

His 44 points in the National Championship game in 1973 against Memphis State still remains a record. Edey scored 37 points against UConn tying him with Lew Alcindor in 1969 against Purdue for 4th best all-time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz

He wasn't everyone's cup of tea as a broadcaster but I enjoyed listening to his games. In color commentary, you can either be informative or entertaining. Too many guys try unsuccessfully to be the former. For me, Walton was entertaining. Yes, often over the top but that was part of it in my opinion. I remember watching a Pacers game back when I still watched the NBA in the late 90's or 2000 and Bill was doing the game. Sam Perkins was playing for the Pacers and was wearing a durag. Walton went on and on about Perkins wearing "a hat" and it just cracked me up.

Was hoping I'd get to hear him on BTN with UCLA and the west coast teams joining but I suppose in a way it is appropriate as he was PAC-12 through and through.

RIP Bill Walton.
yea, he wasn't everyones cup of tea as an announcer but he seemed like a guy who really enjoyed life and had alot of enthusiasm and finally I cannot criticize another Deadhead RIP Bill

I walked 3 flights of stairs with him at the RCA dome during the 1997 final four. I was headed to a suite and there was no one else around. Due to his knees it took twice as long to travel those stairs so we had time for a good conversation. Crazy dude but was very nice to talk to.

Like many others, I got tired of his schtick over the course of time, but if anyone knew how to really enjoy what he was doing, it was Bill Walton. I think it's unbelievably fitting that he passed right as the Pac 8/10/12 is passing as well. The Conference of Champions!

Last edited:
All the national tributes have been great. The first college BB is remember watching with interest, was the 73 championship game vs Memphis State, where he went 21-22 from the field. Then in 77, his Blazers beat my hot Bulls team in the playoffs. I could take his color commentary in smallish doses, but certainly lived an interesting and intriguing life. RIP Mountain Bill.

He was a dope as a broadcaster, however, for some reason I liked it, I get bored with the mechanical people, he sure wasn’t that. As for his playing days, an all time great, especially in college where he dominated, NBA his injuries limited him although still dominating a few years. I’ll miss him, those Hawaii games won’t be the same without him.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I agree color commentators can often get in the way. But his fun-loving hippie persona was rooted in real basketball experience as an elite player, so he had a lot to add. As a kid I always enjoyed that happy contrast between him and the ESPN suits. I remember it slightly blowing my mind when my dad told me he was once an NBA MVP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT