ADVERTISEMENT

Relax

Williams will be fine. It memory serves- he’s usually better when he’s playing against a big center, not a smaller/quicker center.
He should be great against bigger centers after battling Edey in practice every day.

Nothing more than a typical "after a loss ledge jumping" that happens on this forum. People panic then as the year progresses, things iron themselves out.

We were down two important players and Morton is still not 100% and yet even having so many turnovers had chances. This team is very young and with no exhibition games and what not to figure this stuff out ahead of time this year, it is likely to be bumpy for a while for us.

There is a ton of talent on this team, the sky isn't close to falling..

This is an insanely young team that was missing its 2 best guards and playmakers. We would have won with both of them. Its fine

Goal should be just making the ncaa tourney this year and then next year starts our run as a legit threat. Wheeler and gillis wont have to see any minutes next year with furst and kaufman coming in, which will be a big boost for us

Thompson has been much better than Morton so far. Morton hasn’t scored a point. A lot of that could be the mono, but it’s really not close to this point.

Hmm. By this statement I would assume you haven’t watched the games. Morton had 5 assists last night while Isaiah had a very subpar performance. If you did watch last night’s game and somehow didn’t notice how rough of a game Thompson had- I’d assume you might have some bias.

It’s not all about points... and even if it was, it’s not like Thompson scored 20

Hmm. By this statement I would assume you haven’t watched the games. Morton had 5 assists last night while Isaiah had a very subpar performance. If you did watch last night’s game and somehow didn’t notice how rough of a game Thompson had- I’d assume you might have some bias.

It’s not all about points... and even if it was, it’s not like Thompson scored 20
Thompson had 15 points on 6/10 shooting. Morton had 0 points on 0/2 shooting.

Both players struggled with turnovers combing for 8.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Thompson had 15 points on 6/10 shooting. Morton had 0 points on 0/2 shooting.

Both players struggled with turnovers combing for 8.

Morton was +4 on assists and -2 on turnovers compared to Thompson. It is point guard skills where I am comparing them since right now IT has been the starting PG and it is in that area where he really struggled last night. No one is doubting his shooting ability but we need someone that can get the ball across mid court without turning it over or needing to use their off arm to push off and get called for O fouls

Thompson has been much better than Morton so far. Morton hasn’t scored a point. A lot of that could be the mono, but it’s really not close to this point.
You really don't know what you're talking about because we haven't seen a healthy Morton. There's a reason why Morton was brought in to break the press, which IT couldn't do. IT is small and not strong enough to be effective against physical teams.

If your talking after two games and Morton trying to play through mono you're right.But there is no way IT is better than Morton!

Reactions: IUhaterade
It’s always the case... the new guy is better than the older guy. Why? Because we have seen the w eaknesses of the older player who has been through the grinding BIG season. He has faced the best coached and possibly some of the most talented teams in the country. The old guy has been well scouted and many top coaches have run different sets at the player. He has played his guts out for his/our team. The new guy is all shiny and new, with no bad fan experiences. No weaknesses shown... yet. Sure, he looks better after the first game, of course. Let’s wait a bit before anointing a new king, and disrespecting the kid that played so hard for us.

You really don't know what you're talking about because we haven't seen a healthy Morton. There's a reason why Morton was brought in to break the press, which IT couldn't do. IT is small and not strong enough to be effective against physical teams.
You really should stop posting...
I never said I had seen a healthy Morton or that the reason Morton hasn’t. Played well was for anything other than his health. I stated he hadn’t played as well as Thompson had to this point. 5 turnovers is bad. 3 turnovers is also bad. Thompson has at least contributed to the scoring column. We will have to agree to disagree on this, but I’m sticking with Thompson if I’m CMP. I have a feeling CMP will agree and we will see Thompson in the starting lineup yet again on Tuesday.

We got the scored tied with Morton in the game then he went out and we're down 10. could be coincidence but hes a pg, not known for alot of scoring but running a team. i dont hate IT but the team worked better when a winded morton ran the point.

We got the scored tied with Morton in the game then he went out and we're down 10. could be coincidence but hes a pg, not known for alot of scoring but running a team. i dont hate IT but the team worked better when a winded morton ran the point.

Agree and thought it was obvious. Evidently it wasn’t to everyone.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Lets be honest, probably looking at a 6th/7th place finish in a loaded Big Ten, maybe lower. However, the future is very bright, hopefully, Purdue can sneak into the tourney, that's a big if.

I never said I had seen a healthy Morton or that the reason Morton hasn’t. Played well was for anything other than his health. I stated he hadn’t played as well as Thompson had to this point. 5 turnovers is bad. 3 turnovers is also bad. Thompson has at least contributed to the scoring column. We will have to agree to disagree on this, but I’m sticking with Thompson if I’m CMP. I have a feeling CMP will agree and we will see Thompson in the starting lineup yet again on Tuesday.
Morton is a point guard. Thompson is not. Period.

He was put in a bad spot by being given an opportunity to play?
I suspect you know what he means. He’s physically underdeveloped. He’s a good shooter with decent handles who was overwhelmed as a ball handler by an opponent who was as quick as him but was much stronger and more physical. Frankly he didn’t react well.

As a coach you always want to put your players in a position where they are able to succeed and help the team and for IT that’s off the ball or as a secondary ball handler. MP didn’t have many options.

Last edited:
It’s always the case... the new guy is better than the older guy. Why? Because we have seen the w eaknesses of the older player who has been through the grinding BIG season. He has faced the best coached and possibly some of the most talented teams in the country. The old guy has been well scouted and many top coaches have run different sets at the player. He has played his guts out for his/our team. The new guy is all shiny and new, with no bad fan experiences. No weaknesses shown... yet. Sure, he looks better after the first game, of course. Let’s wait a bit before anointing a new king, and disrespecting the kid that played so hard for us.
At a high level your point around fans clamoring for new players is correct. In this case IT was pretty bad as the primary ball handler. Hopefully we’ll be back at the point soon where he’s not needed in that role.

Reactions: mathboy
I don’t expect this team to win the BIG or go deep in ”the dance” ( if they even get there). But when they get everyone back and healthy along with young guys getting a few games under their belt (and returners showing whether they’re going to step up this season, i.e. wheeler) they are going to be hard to beat. Look forward to watching them come together and next season with it’s incoming talent.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT