ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class Rankings

This is the problem with class rankings. A lot of people say the talent level is a lot greater than the past and praise the coach for bringing in great talent. But the problem is every other coach is doing an even better job of recruiting great talent as well.

To truly evaluate a recruiting class, rather than looking at the stars or comparing it to the past, you must compare it to your opposition.

If we have the worst recruiting class in the Big 10, then we will no doubt become the worst team in the big 10. You may like the incoming recruits. But the ones going elsewhere are even better.

The 2025 class is still being assembled so rankings will change. Of course, the size of the class also determines the rankings besides the quality of the recruits. When signing day comes we will see where Purdue stands, and the rankings of the class probably even then change.

I was wondering why we were talking about 2025 ratings now when we usually don’t complete the overall class until December timeframe. football camps haven’t even finished yet. Fall recruiting hasn’t started. Some Purdue’s best signings in the past came in the final week when we flipped players from other schools.

We had a 5 star 2025 CB sign with us that isn’t included in that ranking. But that doesn’t fit your lame narrative.
Not the biggest fan of the coach or the scheme but the talent that’s been brought in lately is pretty undeniable. No excuses left for poor performance. The coach has bought time with his recruiting. Need results on the field now.

Not the biggest fan of the coach or the scheme but the talent that’s been brought in lately is pretty undeniable. No excuses left for poor performance. The coach has bought time with his recruiting. Need results on the field now.
It's crazy people think recruiting after one season means all those players are ready for the field in football. Unless you're just someone who really wants a coach gone.

It's crazy people think recruiting after one season means all those players are ready for the field in football. Unless you're just someone who really wants a coach gone.
I think he needs to get production out of the CBs or this year gets ugly quickly.

Reactions: Bippus33
I think he needs to get production out of the CBs or this year gets ugly quickly.
I mean that's at least a fairer comment. Obviously cornerback play is the entire foundation of his defensive scheme. If he gets a talented secondary, I think his defense can be upper half. If he can do it at Illinois, he can do it here.

For me, the greater concern is the offense.

But let me put this forward. Let's say he's here four years total...and bombs, but continues recruiting like he's been doing for at least 3/4 years. Isn't that preferable to canning a guy after two seasons because "no excuses?" Because I'm sure the next guy would appreciate the leftover talent more if it's 3-4 seasons than 1-2.

I expect him to bare minimum get 4 wins. 5 would be a decent showing. 6 is close to ceiling with our brutal schedule.

It's the following season where he definitely needs to get to a bowl game or folks can fairly say "no excuses" and time to move on.

Reactions: z_one
FWIW, CBS gave Purdue an Honorable Mention of having the best college DB Room entering 2024 season.

What's crazy is on that list there are five other teams in the B10 arguably ahead of us and a sixth ahead of us we play in ND (and we play 4/6).

It's just a brutal schedule.

Reactions: Schnelk
I mean that's at least a fairer comment. Obviously cornerback play is the entire foundation of his defensive scheme. If he gets a talented secondary, I think his defense can be upper half. If he can do it at Illinois, he can do it here.

For me, the greater concern is the offense.

But let me put this forward. Let's say he's here four years total...and bombs, but continues recruiting like he's been doing for at least 3/4 years. Isn't that preferable to canning a guy after two seasons because "no excuses?" Because I'm sure the next guy would appreciate the leftover talent more if it's 3-4 seasons than 1-2.

I expect him to bare minimum get 4 wins. 5 would be a decent showing. 6 is close to ceiling with our brutal schedule.

It's the following season where he definitely needs to get to a bowl game or folks can fairly say "no excuses" and time to move on.
I disagree. Most of the talent will leave and/or get poached. If he were to leave/get fired/etc.

To his credit…he did a fantastic job of getting kids to stay but enough won’t the next time around unless we make an absolute killer hire. Even then a new coach will want to bring in “his” guys.

Even a Walters coached Purdue team (or any team for that matter) is going to look drastically different year to year in the new world of college football.

I disagree. Most of the talent will leave and/or get poached. If he were to leave/get fired/etc.

To his credit…he did a fantastic job of getting kids to stay but enough won’t the next time around unless we make an absolute killer hire. Even then a new coach will want to bring in “his” guys.

Even a Walters coached Purdue team (or any team for that matter) is going to look drastically different year to year in the new world of college football.
You're way overestimating the number of transfers year to year. And there's no way to know a hire is killer until well after players would transfer anyways.

You're coloring all your opinions around how you want new coaches now.

He has done a good job recruiting. However, every Big 10 team has also done a good job recruiting. So by comparison he is not making Purdue stronger. It’s nice to see Purdue signing some 4 star athletes. But, every other team is also signing 4 star recruits.

The schedule is brutal. Looking at the future, the schedule is not going to get any easier. Purdue refuses to schedule 3 non confer Cream puffs. And if the BiG 10 were to add 2 more teams, they will most likely not be cream puffs and will make Purdue’s future conference schedule even harder.

Look at the projected expansion and the teams the BIG is pursuing. If the BIG 10 adds teams like Miami, FSU, UNC , Texas AM, Duke, and other similar teams, that’s not going to make Purdue’s schedule any easier.

And we all know the Big 10 is not going to add a bunch of cream puffs just so Purdue could win a couple of times.

Just to finish with a .500 record, Purdue’s future recruiting classes are going to have to be as good as Washington, Oregon , USC and UW and PSU. If they are not, we will become a bottom feeder to the new BIG 10 mega teams. It’s going to be very hard for teams like Iowa, UW, UCLA, And MSU to have winning seasons. And all of those teams are currently better than Purdue.

I wish Walters success. But then reality sets in. We all say the schedule is brutal. Why do we say that? Basically it’s because we don’t believe our team is capable of beating the vast majority of our opponents. Well, it’s not going to get any easier next year or the following year or any year in the future now that the Big 10 has added the 4 pac 12 teams and is trying to add 2 more top teams to our league.

It’s a virtual tie for 12-18. Not too worried about it yet. Average eating not far off where we were for 2024 and we finished 8th or 9th.

It’s a virtual tie for 12-18. Not too worried about it yet. Average eating not far off where we were for 2024 and we finished 8th or 9th.
I actually agree with you. It’s way too early to start rating our recruiting class. There are plenty of months left to add somebody.

I would be alarmed if Walters has not targeted or offered any 4/5 star players. But there are still plenty of 4 star athletes with planned visits and who may attend our summer camps.

If this is what we look like in October then I’d be concerned. But there is plenty of time left.

Are the Brewers going to win the World Series? I believe I’d wait until October before making a prediction. The same applies to Purdue’s recruiting class.

One metric I look at is how we do in the state of Indiana. We always want to beat IU and can get over to losing to and, OSU, etc. Eugene Hilton to wisky, chandler to Illinois, and lebron hill to Louisville stings, but WR is not a strength of this coaching staff and there are still a lot of players we stand in good position to land and iu is nowhere in sight. If we can get Ot Cameron Gorin and a high rated edge along with brooks I’d be pretty satisfied.

Cool somehow does that class rank?
He’s not answering that one for some reason.

I have questions about this staff… recruiting isn’t one of them. They are working their asses off… now need to show progress on the field… even with a ridiculous schedule.

You're way overestimating the number of transfers year to year. And there's no way to know a hire is killer until well after players would transfer anyways.

You're coloring all your opinions around how you want new coaches now.
I want the Purdue coach to succeed. Especially when they can bring in talent.

If the offense isn’t markedly better than I think Harrell gets the boot. My biggest issue last year was knowing the OL was a deficiency and then calling plays and handling your QB like it wasn’t.

6 wins was obtainable but botching the Fresno and Syracuse games was pretty inexcusable. Several more teams and games we played that were winnable.

The difference between good and bad coaches at Purdue are the ones who get the most out of the talent they do have. Coming of the heels of one that could it was hard to watch one that couldn’t.

Maybe things will change?

If the offense isn’t markedly better than I think Harrell gets the boot. My biggest issue last year was knowing the OL was a deficiency and then calling plays and handling your QB like it wasn’t.

6 wins was obtainable but botching the Fresno and Syracuse games was pretty inexcusable. Several more teams and games we played that were winnable.

The difference between good and bad coaches at Purdue are the ones who get the most out of the talent they do have. Coming of the heels of one that could it was hard to watch one that couldn’t.

Losing obtainable wins your very first season isn't inexcusable. Brohm lost a ton of obtainable wins.

Reactions: z_one

I would say the coaches did get the most out of the talent they had.

The coaches developed Tyrone Tracy from undraftable WR to NFL RB.
DT was unknown other than he had brothers who played at Purdue. He is one of the top safeties In the B1G.
D Burks was unknown. Developed the raw talent into a sought after WR in the portal.
Klare was not a highly touted recruit but he looked good before his injury.
KJ took a big jump.

The coaches had gaping holes they just could not fix. We had a safety in C Allen playing man corner. Allen struggled early but looked better at the end of the season.

We should have beaten Fresno and Syracuse. We did beat VT in Blacksburg. We had gaps that were not fixed early in the season. Going into the 2023 season, we all would have said OC is our MLB. But OC was not versatile to play the position in CRW defense. If Yanni was the starter in 2023, MLB play early in the season would have looked different.

When M Wilson went down with injuries, we lost our top corner. At the end of the season we had to convert WRs to play corner.

Although 2023 season was not the result we wanted, there were some big bright spots. Reason to believe we have a better team than the 2023 version. If this 2024 team played the 2023 schedule I think they would easily be a bowl team.

I would say the coaches did get the most out of the talent they had.

The coaches developed Tyrone Tracy from undraftable WR to NFL RB.
DT was unknown other than he had brothers who played at Purdue. He is one of the top safeties In the B1G.
D Burks was unknown. Developed the raw talent into a sought after WR in the portal.
Klare was not a highly touted recruit but he looked good before his injury.
KJ took a big jump.

The coaches had gaping holes they just could not fix. We had a safety in C Allen playing man corner. Allen struggled early but looked better at the end of the season.

We should have beaten Fresno and Syracuse. We did beat VT in Blacksburg. We had gaps that were not fixed early in the season. Going into the 2023 season, we all would have said OC is our MLB. But OC was not versatile to play the position in CRW defense. If Yanni was the starter in 2023, MLB play early in the season would have looked different.

When M Wilson went down with injuries, we lost our top corner. At the end of the season we had to convert WRs to play corner.

Although 2023 season was not the result we wanted, there were some big bright spots. Reason to believe we have a better team than the 2023 version. If this 2024 team played the 2023 schedule I think they would easily be a bowl team.
It’s all about managing what you have. That wasn’t a 4 win roster. Sorry.

Coach has likely at least 2 years to prove he can win. He’s got the Jimmys and Joes angle down…but can he get the most out of his scheme and guys?

It’s all about managing what you have. That wasn’t a 4 win roster. Sorry.

Coach has likely at least 2 years to prove he can win. He’s got the Jimmys and Joes angle down…but can he get the most out of his scheme and guys?
What makes you say we had a 4+ win roster after all we lost from the 2022 season? We lost our starting OT to Louisville before the start of the season. What should CRW done or what scheme should he have run that would have made the difference last season? With the shape our O-Line was, and gaps in talent, yes we underachieved, but not by much.

You are stating the obvious. CRW has at least 2 years to prove he can win. You can say the same for Fickel and Rhule. In 2023 Rhule had one more win than CRW??

Big unknown. What will 2024 season look like when CRW has the personnel to run his defense the way he did at Illinois. Do we get to see the Air Raid offense the way it was meant to run.

Nothing more to add other than seeing how the team develops over the summer/fall camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT