ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Recap of the Jeff Brohm Radio Show

Matt_GoldandBlack.com

Redshirt Freshman
Staff
Sep 1, 2004
West Lafayette
Jeff Brohm on the 3-OT loss to Wisconsin: "I was proud of the way our guys came out and played. They played hard. They found a way to get a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter. A couple key things hurts us and their running back really wore us down late in the game. We've got to figure out a way to get over the hump."

Brohm on the goal line stand in the 4th quarter: "The two times in the red zone without a touchdown hurts. There's no question about that. We also had an interception that got called back because of a penalty."

Brohm on going for 2 points in second overtime: "Looking back at that, we probably should've tried it. I know when you're on the road, I've gone for two in the first overtime and it helped us get to a bowl game in my first year as a coach. When at home, you try to be a little less risky. We'd been down there twice and couldn't score. It's unfortunate because we probably should've tried it."

Brohm on Thanksgiving: "We have the Thanksgiving lunch today. They're off for the rest of the day. Guys who are not traveling to the road game can actually go home and spend the weekend with their families. It is a special holiday."

Brohm on Jacob Thieneman: "Jacob is doing well. He probably lost close to 20 pounds. I think he'll be perfectly fine but they still don't know how he got (the infection).

Brohm on the Brohm Family Turkey Bowl: "This is a long history. I know as a kid growing up it was about relatives and their friends. We chalk the field up every year. It was a full-fledged tackle football game. We filmed it and watched it happy. As myself and my brother would play, we went up to the old golf course and it became a two-hand touch game. Everybody wants to win. My father, great guy, and he likes to make sure he's the superior one of the family. Of course the stats he remembers are inflated. This game was always fun and it was always filmed. We made a highlight film of it for my dad for Christmas."

Brohm on Jack Plummer/Nick Sipe: "I think they're both progressing well. Nick is the guy that can execute the offense right now. Jack enrolled early and has had some tougher times as every quarterback does but we like his future at the position."

Brohm on IU tailback Stevie Scott: "He's done a very good system. This a very different system than we saw last year. He's a freshman and I know they're happy with him."

Brohm on a trick play pass to Kirk Barron: "Believe it or not, we had a throwback screen to the tackle that we attempted to run vs. Illinois. They played it and he had to throw it away."

Brohm on a trick play swinging gate vs. Wisconsin: "It's the old swinging gate and you're trying to get them confused. I thought when the ball was snapped, we had a chance. They played it and their safeties went deep. We got 16 yards on it and it was okay."

Brohm on watching NFL: "We get a library of video of NFL comes in Tuesday. Wednesday morning is when we watch that. The little flip pass to Rondale Moore is something we took (from the Kansas City Chiefs)."

Brohm on the coin toss: "It's been talked about way more than you think in the last few weeks. I like to take the ball early. We did a take a lead early in the game, which helped us. If you think you need to score early, you take it first. I'd like to work it where we receive more."

Brohm on future schedule opponents for Purdue: "I think they've done a pretty good job. I did want to see the Notre Dame happen mainly because of the history of the game, the geographical aspect for us. We got it back in the mix. Non-conference is one of the toughest in the nation and I don't mind that. I like the teams that are regionally somewhat close. Two years ago we played Louisville at Lucas Oil Stadium and would possibly like to play again there soon to create some more attention. I am happy we have Notre Dame on the schedule."

Brohm on Rondale Moore TD catches: "I thought he played a great game. That's a really good defense and he found ways to get open and make plays. He gives us great effort in every game. This week Rondale Moore got a letter from the Heisman people saying he was one of the guys they were considering (which was in the GoldandBlack.com notebook) and I don't think that's happened much around here. He's definitely done his part. I thought we did a decent job of moving him around a lot. He's going to attract a lot of attention. Moving him around because teams are going to everything they can to try and stop him."

Brohm on the 2019 recruiting class: "I think we're in good position right now. I feel good about where we're at. We have to maintain the position we're at. I think it's really about getting enough linemen in here to come in and do a good job. You have to project and develop a little bit. The great elite teams are very good up front on both sides of the ball. We've got to try to convince those guys to stay. Notre Dame is tough to recruit against but the Big Ten schools like Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa and Nebraska will come raid this state too. We've got to do our part and not back down. I compare it to the Olympics. When guys and gals go over and represent the U.S.A., it means something to them but also the whole country. If you take a lot of pride in playing in the state of Indiana, there's no reason to take your talents to another state. Come to Purdue and we'll make sure you achieve all your goals and have a lot of fun doing it with all your people involved and to me, that's how you build a special team."

(Editors Note: Brohm can't say it and Tim Newton can't say it but if you don't think that was a 35-second infomercial to David Bell, you're not listening carefully enough.)

Brohm on recruiting Rondale Moore: "While I knew he would a difference maker coming out of the blocks, yes, it makes a difference in recruiting. It does show people that yeah, you could come here and be on the national scene. And he was on the national scene in one game. It took him one game, a half of a game to get his name out there like other can not."

Brohm on Indiana up-tempo: "One issue right now is we don't have a ton of depth defensively so subbing in and out won't be an easy. We're not going to rotate a ton. We need to get lined up quick and be set. We have an automatic call we go to and when we can, we'll get to a call from the sidelines. We can not give them cheap plays. I've played against them before but we can't give them cheap plays because we weren't lined up."

Brohm on Tom Allen's defense: "Coach Allen does a great job. They're going to challenge routes. They won't give up the easy completion and I wholeheartedly believe in. We've got to win some 1-on-1 matchups and we definitely did against Wisconsin."

Brohm on kick returns for Moore: "We've worked that quite a bit. We will not concede that where we catch it is where we'll start."

Brohm on the 2018 season: "Without question, we didn't get off to the start we wanted. We'd like to replay that but we found a way to get better. When you're 0-3, you're sitting at a position to get to another bowl. I may not have thought that was possible then. We've got to continue to find ways to get better. We've got to find ways to build depth. I think it would be great if our guys could find a way to finish the season with a win and advance (to a bowl game). If they did that, it would be a special season. Hopefully our guys come out with some swagger and confidence."

Another question about Purdue's future beyond the 2018 season: "I feel good about the skill positions and where we are there. We've got to get some defensive linemen and guys that can rush the passer. We got to create guys that can create some push and get some guys that can get off blocks. That's the number one key priority. We need to get a couple key difference-makers at linebackers. On offense, I think we're in a good position. We've got to go upfront and make sure we've got the linemen we need to be successful."

On if Purdue will continue in the grad transfer market: "Every year is different. Every year the situation will be slightly different. It's important to scour the scene and make sure you have your eyes in the right spots. This past year and we took Dennis Edwards and he started every game for us and has made a difference for us. I think we have a chance to look for some spots and I would think linebacker is a spot for us there."

"You always want to finish strong. It's a rivalry game with a lot on the line so if we can go win it, a lot of people will be very happy."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News