ADVERTISEMENT

Rating the Coach

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
So this board is becoming a referendum on our current coach. Let’s break this out, into its own thread, just so we can collect the board’s thinking. I think that is fair.

Also being fair, I will offer my assessment of the current situation. I will not attempt to go into the problems with our last coach. Let’s keep this focused on Coach Versyp. I think she has brought some good things to Purdue. First, she is an excellent X&O coach in my opinion. She knows how to game plan, and she makes good in-game adjustments.

Some of those good game plans and in-game adjustments are futile because we have not had the talent to execute them. IMHO, Sharon and staff do an excellent job developing the kids they get. Every year we get strong point guard play and good wing play. However, we just need some high end talent to progress this program back to its old position of national prominence. Here is where I fault the current coach. We are not getting the high school All-Americans we need to compete and beat the Marylands and OSU’s in our conference. We need improvements in recruiting.

Absolutely, bb to take a huge back seat. The report sounded encouraging and they have done marvelous things in treating this particular manifestation of cancer, but no one wants to go through that and are prayers are with Coach V.

Reactions: TNTBoiler
I agree with the follow up posters here. I started my thread before the announcement about Sharon, and after I saw some distinct criticism cropping up in another thread. I have no problem continuing this discussion but folks want to hold off, that is okay too.

of course, I wish her a speedy recovery. If Breast cancer s caught early enough, then the prognoses is very good. Let's hope that is the case.

It may be an awkward time to talk about it but let's face it: we need better recruiting. Whether it be Versyp or some other coach, recruiting needs to improve.

Indiana's best players routinely go to Notre Dame, Kentucky, Louisville, anywhere but Purdue. I don't know what the problem is but recruiting has been on a slippery slope for years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT