ADVERTISEMENT

Ranked 9th in "way too early" 2024/25 top 25

We don’t even know who our starting five is going to be at this point, so that is probably a little high and way too early.
Everything is way to early, but at least Purdue has bodies, half the teams in the BT are out trying to buy a starting lineup! Purdue should be upper 3 in the conference with what is returning and the top 15 class coming in!

Everything is way too early, but at least Purdue has bodies, half the teams in the BT are out trying to buy a starting lineup! Purdue should be upper 3 in the conference with what is returning and the top 15 class coming in!
With way too early expectations, we should be top 15-20, top 3 B1G, make tourney and it’d great to make the second weekend with this fire coming back and recruiting class coming in.

I don’t expect us to dominate early in the season like usual…but I think we will be clicking at end of year.

Side note…that was our first loss to a non B1G P5 conference team since Covid.

Everything is way to early, but at least Purdue has bodies, half the teams in the BT are out trying to buy a starting lineup! Purdue should be upper 3 in the conference with what is returning and the top 15 class coming in!
This.

It’s also very good indicator of Purdue’s increased national perception— finally, WER’E the program getting the benefit of the doubt, albeit very early😉

Connecticut is ranked top 5 with possibly no one but two bench players left. They have faith in Hurley in the portal, plus new recruits and bringing that new team together.

Reactions: DrEss
That is potentially one powerful and athletic lineup.
I would hope we would have a player (or two) emerge that have the athletic ability to create their own space and shot whenever one is needed, and, to be able to make those shots at a high %. Shots either from the 3 point line or driving to the basket. That is one area that we were lacking in this season.

Reactions: BBG
Connecticut is ranked top 5 with possibly no one but two bench players left. They have faith in Hurley in the portal, plus new recruits and bringing that new team together.
Yes, saw that & laughed given their player losses. Example #1 as to why this early rank might be irrelevant. Might come around and be accurate at times, but so many "early ranked" teams end up wrong as there are too many unknowns.

That is potentially one powerful and athletic lineup.
Yep, good shooting as well. Off the bench you got Catchings, Harris, than a battle for likely 2 playing spots. What 2 from a group of 4 get playing time? Furst, Berg, Burgess, Jacobsen. Guessing Banter redshirts, Cox plays 5–10 minutes a night as the backup PG.

Yes, saw that & laughed given their player losses. Example #1 as to why this early rank might be irrelevant. Might come around and be accurate at times, but so many "early ranked" teams end up wrong as there are too many unknowns.
I'm not laughing...

You could have said the exact same thing about UConn after LAST season!! -- for all his "douchiness" on a personal level, there can be no doubt that this dude knows how to re-load!

Last edited:
Reactions: jimsil13
That's way too high and will change once certain darlings complete the process of purchasing next year's team.

Given the lack of respect Purdue has gotten from certain corners, I won't complain about our ranking, though.

It's time for a different kind of excitement. For a few years now, every loss has felt like the end of the world. Every close game has felt like the end of the world was nigh.

Time to enjoy being relieved of the burden of expectations as the most athletic team ever to suit up for Purdue, begins to learn how to play the Purdue way.

I'm really excited for it. I wish the season started today.

Reactions: RossMackey
I'm not laughing...

You could have said the exact same thing about UConn after LAST season!! -- for all his :douchiness on a personal level, there can be no doubt that this dude knows how to re-load!

As do others.

Had they got their #1 choice ahead of Spencer who they ended up with, perhaps they wouldn't even have won this year.....as that guy wasn't as advertised. So they were very lucky there getting Spencer instead.

Last edited:
I’m actually a Fletch fan and think he’s a valuable contributor (sometimes more than others). That being said, I wonder if he remains a starter next year? With the talent expectations coming in next year and Heide and Colvin vying for PT, could he wind up being a sixth man? I think he likely starts but I don’t think it’s guaranteed. There’s a chance someone could beat him out since in Paints system you earn your time. The level of athleticism is expected to increase even more next year, so there's that which adds to possibilities.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I would hope we would have a player (or two) emerge that have the athletic ability to create their own space and shot whenever one is needed, and, to be able to make those shots at a high %. Shots either from the 3 point line or driving to the basket. That is one area that we were lacking in this season.
Four names come to mind. Kanon Catchings he creates most of his own shots from anywhere. Gicarri Harris he simply does not have to be open he uses his upper body strength to get his shot up thru contact. And CJ Cox has away about him that looks like he is always open. An outlier Jack Benter because thus far no one has been able to stop him. I totally agree with your assessment. However we had the player you described but he left two years ago.

Love the season! Great program milestone!

Tough game to end, but guys/coach have to be proud putting this season on their shoulders and going the distance to the championship

Just because it’s hard to stop Boiler BBall thoughts…… what if Berg is the man at C with TKR, Heide, Colvin , Smith; Loyer and Catchings 6/7; Harris 8

Will be interesting to see develop, if Catchings is all in D etc, hard to not get him PT

I believe catchings and Harris will jump over the current predicted starters of Myles and Heide. I also believe both Jacobson and Burgess will pass Berg and Furst and maybe Tkr at center and force TKr to the 4 . It’s possible, we could see 3 freshmen starters!

I'm not laughing...

You could have said the exact same thing about UConn after LAST season!! -- for all his "douchiness" on a personal level, there can be no doubt that this dude knows how to re-load!
Definition of reload used to mean the bench became starters. Now it means "poach" other starters from power-5 teams to build another superteam.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I believe catchings and Harris will jump over the current predicted starters of Myles and Heide. I also believe both Jacobson and Burgess will pass Berg and Furst and maybe Tkr at center and force TKr to the 4 . It’s possible, we could see 3 freshmen starters!

Given how good the guys are, you claim the rookies might jump over..... your hypothesis would be a GREAT thing, and no slight to our current guys. If it happens, look for us in the S16+ next year.

Definition of reload used to mean the bench became starters. Now it means "poach" other starters from power-5 teams to build another superteam.
And not just power 5, they steal the best players from the mid majors too.

Four names come to mind. Kanon Catchings he creates most of his own shots from anywhere. Gicarri Harris he simply does not have to be open he uses his upper body strength to get his shot up thru contact. And CJ Cox has away about him that looks like he is always open. An outlier Jack Benter because thus far no one has been able to stop him. I totally agree with your assessment. However we had the player you described but he left two years ago.
52, was waiting for you for a report on that tourney over the weekend in Brownstown

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Smith, Loyer, Catchings, TKR, Furst start

Harris, Colvin, Heide, Burgess, Berg

Jacobsen, Benter, Cox red shirt

Waddell transfers

Smith, Loyer, Catchings, TKR, Furst start

Harris, Colvin, Heide, Burgess, Berg

Jacobsen, Benter, Cox red shirt

Waddell transfers
I think Burgess would shirt before Jacobsen, agree about Waddell not sure about Furst

Catchings and Harris had a lot more hype as high school players than Myles and Heide had. I realize Purdue fans think highly that Myles and Heide will fill the holes because they played this year.

But let’s look at history! Smith and Loyer both started as freshmen. And when they were recruited, we still had Hunter and IT in school and they were our projected starters! And once Smith and Loyer arrived, before they even played a game, it and Hunter decided to leave!

So now you have Myles Heide who you expect to start next year. But Painter has started freshmen. So it is possible that Harris and Catchings could start over players currently on our team.

I’m speculating that Harris and Catchings will both overtake Myles and Heide for playing time next year as freshmen. We’ve seen it before with smith and Loyer. It’s not as far fetched as some may think.

Wasn't Michigan and Michigan State ranked really high early last year? Look how that turned out. Most of the early rankings are way off.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Do you remember a few years back in the first poll when NC was ranked #1, but didn't make the tourney?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Biggest point here. Usually we wouldn’t even crack the top 25 and here we are getting “respect”. I for one will take it.
Agreed. These early polls are not prophesy, and shouldn't be viewed that way. The message is that Purdue is getting national respect. Even losing the 2XNPOY and key players, pollsters see who is returning, and with Painter as coach, they are expected to compete nationally.

I’m actually a Fletch fan and think he’s a valuable contributor (sometimes more than others). That being said, I wonder if he remains a starter next year? With the talent expectations coming in next year and Heide and Colvin vying for PT, could he wind up being a sixth man? I think he likely starts but I don’t think it’s guaranteed. There’s a chance someone could beat him out since in Paints system you earn your time. The level of athleticism is expected to increase even more next year, so there's that which adds to possibilities.
The answer to your question is yes he does

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT