ADVERTISEMENT

Is Gillis Returning for a 6th Year?

If he comes back, my optimism for next year is even higher. I would say it's night and day with his leadership and influence on and off the court with all the young guys coming in.

Come back Mason!

Yessss!!!!!
Count me as NOT among those who made peace with him leaving eligibility on the table to clear room for youngsters. Instead, use him as an example of what they can become since we already have it!

I don't think he's coming back, but I could see him playing elsewhere, especially with NIL money on the table. CMP has not yet had a kid come back for a Covid year & we are already 1 over the limit.

To me it seems the pros for him returning far outweigh the cons? He gets to further his education while doing something he loves. He will likely get some NIL money especially as one of the team leaders. Why leave to play for another school for one year? Fanta seems pretty solid - why did he say he was returning if he isn't?

To me it seems the pros for him returning far outweigh the cons? He gets to further his education while doing something he loves. He will likely get some NIL money especially as one of the team leaders. Why leave to play for another school for one year? Fanta seems pretty solid - why did he say he was returning if he isn't?
The issue with him returning is we'd need two departures for it to happen.

We are already over by one. Maybe it happens, but considering he went through senior day activities, that's usually a sign.

Leave for $$$$$ and we are jam packed with scholarship players

Leave for $$$$$ and we are jam packed with scholarship players
Leave for money? Where is he going to get good NIL money better than Purdue? He is known here. Seems we could be competitive with NIL. He is a great shooting talent - I hate to see him go with a year remaining. I know I am likely dreaming.

Reactions: jtanoos1
The issue with him returning is we'd need two departures for it to happen.

We are already over by one. Maybe it happens, but considering he went through senior day activities, that's usually a sign.
I could see Furst leaving. And then I'm not sure who else. Hopefully not Colvin but he would be #2 on being skeptical.

I could see Furst leaving. And then I'm not sure who else. Hopefully not Colvin but he would be #2 on being skeptical.
Why would Colvin leave? Why do you a lot of ppl think this? He was in the rotation for the last month during the most important time of the year. His family is a Purdue family. He is going to play even more next year on a pretty athletic team.

Are we talking about the same Mason Gillis that scored 0 points in 24 minutes last night ? Did anybody watch that game last night ? What am I missing ?
I’m not one to believe he’s coming back, but are you saying we should base his whole career off of the national championship against one of arguably the best teams ever?

Right? Like he just played in the freaking national championship game.
Played good, meaningful minutes. Had the opp to Guard nba players and got in a few shots. Won a whole lot of games, a conference championship, played on a top 2 team all year, went to the NC and looked like he was having a hell of a time. Dad was an all time Boiler and sister plays volleyball.

And yet ppl are skeptic he will transfer?

Reactions: Gemini95
I’m not saying he will transfer. I’m saying if he plans to play college basketball next year, it will be at a different college. He can see the 6 incoming freshmen. He can count. He knows if he stays, it will be at the expense of somebody else. He also realizes if he stays, he will be taking up playing time. From one of the newcomers. That is why I believe he has played his last game for Purdue!

@junkyardshaft999 not sure why you decided to create an account today…unless you’re here to just troll I suppose.

But a championship team? No one is replicating that UConn championship team…except maybe…UConn. But doubtful on that. Going to be tough for them to get back to that type of squad with Clingan, Newton and Spencer all gone. Purdue was second best team in the country and would have beaten anyone else last night. UConn had the one guy who could somewhat “limit/make it difficult” on Zach while the other 4 were able to take away the 3 ball.

And to say Gillis wouldn’t see a single second? He’s exactly who Hurley would love to have on his team. And there’s also not a lot of kids who would “see a single second” on that UConn team. Hell Stewart and Ball who were big 4 star recruits for Uconn, barely saw mins when it counted.

Probably doesn't prove anything, but he did participate in Senior Night. For what it's worth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT