ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball Quick Notes: Purdue's scrimmage at Providence

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Purdue loses at Providence 89-88 in a scrimmage.

Purdue won the first half by three and Providence won the second half by three before winning OT 13-12.

I can promise you that Purdue's coaches are totally OK with this, as prevailing coaching thinking is generally that teams can improve more through being exposed and humbled early as opposed to getting meaningless wins. Had coaches the other day even tell me, "I hope we lose."

Notes ...

• Jaden Ivey led Purdue with 18 and nine assists, but committed eight turnovers, most of them In the second half.

Purdue committed 15 turnovers, the stat of the game, seems like.

• Purdue started Zach Edey at center and Isaiah Thompson at point guard, bringing seniors Trevion Williams and Eric Hunter off the bench at their respective positions. Freshman Caleb Furst was Purdue's starting forward; Mason Gillis, of course, sat out the scrimmage as he serves a four-competition suspension. Jaden Ivey and Sasha Stefanovic were Purdue's other starters.

• Trevion Williams went for 17 on 7-8 shooting, while Zach Edey went for 12 on just 5-10.

• Purdue made 7-of-11 threes in the first half, and finished 10-22 from long range. Thompson, Stefanovic and Furst were each 2-of-2 In the first half.

• Redshirting freshman Brian Waddell did not play. I didn't expect him to, but still wondered if Painter would run him out there just to get a taste.

• Former Indiana guard Al Durham scored 19 points for the Friars.

• Caleb Furst: 4-5, 12 points. TKR: 0-4, 0 points.

Furst played 29 minutes, third most on the team behind Ivey and Sasha Stefanovic, Kaufman-Renn 15.

• Only 17 assists to 15 turnovers for Purdue.

• Providence scored 34 points in the paint, an indictment of Purdue's defense I'd think.

• The terrifying Friar mascot/"The Purge" extra was not present, thankfully. Probably had important murdering to get caught up on just before Halloween.

usa_today_9945908.jpg

More to come ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News