ADVERTISEMENT

Quick hitters from Purdue vs Quincy

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Some takeaways from Purdue’s rout of Quincy this afternoon.

- The freshmen have the potential to be immediate impact players. It kind of goes without saying, but Rashunda Jones and Mary Ashley Stevenson are the real deal. They did what they were supposed to do in this type of setting.

- THAT is the Jayla Smith Purdue needs. Game-high 20 points on 8-11 shooting in what would have been a career-high if this game counted for the regular season.

It was great to see her aggressive and getting to the basket, which she will need when the jumper isn’t falling. Getting Smith out in transition or giving her the ability to attack the rim will be key for Katie Gearlds and company.

- Shooting the lights out from distance was something we rarely saw last season, but tonight’s game could give this team some confidence going into games where shooting it well is imperative for a win.

- Expecting 4/5 shooting from distance out of McKenna Layden isn’t realistic, but if she can come off the bench and be a reliable option on the perimeter, Purdue will be in a much better spot offensively.

- I was confused by the lack of minutes for Mila Reynolds in the first half. Do not have a reason for why, but Katie Gearlds clearly likes Stevenson and Harper a lot at the 4/5.

Everyone who played made positive contributions. It's going to be a fun season to watch. With all the youth, the team should keep improving as they get more and more experience. It's going to be hard for Coach Gearlds to keep a couple of the Freshmen off the court. I'm excited.....bring on UCLA and let's see what the ladies can do!

Some takeaways from Purdue’s rout of Quincy this afternoon.

- The freshmen have the potential to be immediate impact players. It kind of goes without saying, but Rashunda Jones and Mary Ashley Stevenson are the real deal. They did what they were supposed to do in this type of setting.

- THAT is the Jayla Smith Purdue needs. Game-high 20 points on 8-11 shooting in what would have been a career-high if this game counted for the regular season.

It was great to see her aggressive and getting to the basket, which she will need when the jumper isn’t falling. Getting Smith out in transition or giving her the ability to attack the rim will be key for Katie Gearlds and company.

- Shooting the lights out from distance was something we rarely saw last season, but tonight’s game could give this team some confidence going into games where shooting it well is imperative for a win.

- Expecting 4/5 shooting from distance out of McKenna Layden isn’t realistic, but if she can come off the bench and be a reliable option on the perimeter, Purdue will be in a much better spot offensively.

- I was confused by the lack of minutes for Mila Reynolds in the first half. Do not have a reason for why, but Katie Gearlds clearly likes Stevenson and Harper a lot at the 4/5.
Glad to see Smith with a solid performance. She is key this year. Impressed with the poise and maturity from Jones & MA. Layden Jr has a nice outside shot even though they were uncontested. Solid potential. Ellis great energy as usual. Don’t understand Mila not playing much. Glad they had some success after their loss to Butler.

Glad to see Smith with a solid performance. She is key this year. Impressed with the poise and maturity from Jones & MA. Layden Jr has a nice outside shot even though they were uncontested. Solid potential. Ellis great energy as usual. Don’t understand Mila not playing much. Glad they had some success after their loss to Butler.

They lost the butler scrimmage? How do you know that?

Hurry someone.....give Michael the link. This may be the information he needs to prove that Coach Gearlds sucks. Lol.
Grow up troll. No one thinks you are amusing or witty.

I've said repeatedly no one will know if KG is a good or bad coach until the end of season 4 at the earliest. Those calling her great already are listening only to their hearts. Curry and Versyp looked even better their first three years at the helm Here, and we know how they turned out. I just want verification of what happened if possible. I'd also like a box score from the Quincy game, but that doesn't seem to exist online either.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford

I've said repeatedly no one will know if KG is a good or bad coach until the end of season 4 at the earliest. Those calling her great already are listening only to their hearts. Curry and Versyp looked even better their first three years at the helm Here, and we know how they turned out. I just want verification of what happened if possible. I'd also like a box score from the Quincy game, but that doesn't seem to exist online either.
Curry and Versyp started with a lot higher talent level than Geralds had to start with. Geralds recruiting has been impressive as has her attitude.

This is what you get when people are able to write whatever they want behind the safety of a screen. They have no consequenses for what they can say. people wuldn't say 85% of what they write if it was an inperson talk. The information was a great step forward but at the same time one of the worst steps backwards

Reactions: DocRon and z_one

Actually I thought Russ was dead on and very funny 😂

• Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR
Curry and Versyp started with a lot higher talent level than Geralds had to start with. Geralds recruiting has been impressive as has her attitude.
No doubt, but their first three years they looked incredible. Gearlds benefited from getting a very good backcourt from the portal that Versyp had recruited, and we will see how much of the last couple of years was KG as a better coach than Versyp and how much was Terry and Ellis in the next two years after this. IF the back court of "alias"(for those old enough to remember that show) Smith and Jones next year doesn't slip a lot, then that says a lot for better coaching.

I would like to know the source as well. If someone is going to drop some otherwise unknown information I would like to know where they got it from with a link

No doubt, but their first three years they looked incredible. Gearlds benefited from getting a very good backcourt from the portal that Versyp had recruited, and we will see how much of the last couple of years was KG as a better coach than Versyp and how much was Terry and Ellis in the next two years after this. IF the back court of "alias"(for those old enough to remember that show) Smith and Jones next year doesn't slip a lot, then that says a lot for better coaching.
Geralds has already proven to be a superior coach to Versyp. She took a shipwreck to the NCAA and is currently resurrecting the Titanic. Curry accomplished what she did with questionable ethics. Anyone can have the appearance of success if they are willing to cheat. The damage done to this program under her tutelage is now well documented. Geralds has a lot to learn, but she has shown she is willing to do the work to accomplish her goals. She is a superior recruiter if not tactician. That will come with time and experience. She has earned a long leash from me.

agree to disagree on some points, but so far I like most of what she has shown. She still gets outcoached seemingly by inferior talent with good experienced coaches, but as you said, we can hope that comes with more D1 experience.

Remember though Versyp earned a "long leash" by taking Curry's undisciplined team to two elite eights on three years. She looked like a great coach in her first 4 years in the big ten, but then after year 4 the decline started.

Last edited:
Reactions: z_one
agree to disagree on some points, but so far I like most of what she has shown. She still gets outcoached seemingly by inferior talent with good experienced coaches, but as you said, we can hope that comes with more D1 experience.

Remember though Versyp earned a "long leash" by taking Curry's undisciplined team to two elite eights on three years. She looked like a great coach in her first 4 years in the big ten, but then after year 4 the decline started.
Difference there is that Versyp couldn't recruit. That is the life's blood of any program. Part of that wasn't her fault as outside forces were at work to trash Purdue and were successful. Maybe Versyp wore down facing that challenge and Geralds doesn't have to work against that. Whichever it is, Geralds appears to have the moxie to get the job done. My fingers are crossed for good results. The recruiting gives me hope.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Difference there is that Versyp couldn't recruit. That is the life's blood of any program. Part of that wasn't her fault as outside forces were at work to trash Purdue and were successful. Maybe Versyp wore down facing that challenge and Geralds doesn't have to work against that. Whichever it is, Geralds appears to have the moxie to get the job done. My fingers are crossed for good results. The recruiting gives me hope.
There are three things you have to have to be a very good to great head coach.

Recruiting, which I will grant you KG seems to be off to a good start. But can she keep moving the dial up to get the truly great players you need to get to the top of the conference and to the Final Four. That remains to be proven.

Game management. Certainly not a KG strength yet, but I agree with you there is hope that with experience she gets this one checked off as well.

Player development. Total unknown. Only one player has stuck around from the first two classes to judge development on, and she to date has been wildly erratic. (Smith)

Curry came in a great recruiter, bringing three top recruits with her from LaTech and landing Purdue's last (if not first) consensus #1 recruiting class in the nation. Game management was a weakness but it was mostly covered by her husband's (Kelly) great game planning and opponent scouting. Player development was mediocre as some players flourished and some floundered, and more floundered the longer the Curry's were here. That can be traced to the Curry's having their first child and wanting to have a normal home life working 8 hour days. That only works as the head coach if you have an outstanding staff picking up the slack. We didn't, especially since it also took game planning and scouting from Kelly and transferred it to Stack and Cremeans, who were not up to that task. So Curry changed assistants and gave the new pair wide latitude and little supervision so she could be at home more. Roland failed, and Merriweather cut corners to be as nice as possible about it. I don't believe Curry knew in advance about the cheating, but once she was informed, she tried ignoring it and hoping it would go away, instead she did. After dealing with Katie Douglas' mothers death and helping her cope, and dealing with Tiffany Young's murder, getting that team back focused and to the final game to only lose by a point showed tremendous promise, but it started to go downhill by year four and by the end we were all glad to be rid of her.

Versyp came in to this turmoil with a lazy, undisciplined team that had some players only pretending to play hard defense. She changed that day one and a soft and undisciplined team became an Elite Eight team her first year. REcruiting was spotty, in large part because Versyp had an attitude playing at Purdue was a priveledge and she should not have to suck up to players, and in part because she had a personality like 20 grit sandpaper. Still in year three we went to the Elite 8 again, and things looked like she ship had been righted. By the end of year four though, the recruiting problems became glaringly obvious and the slide began. Unfortunately we no longer had an AD that cared about WBball, so she stayed 15 years until a scandal ran her out and the complete lack of a national search for her replacement should still anger anyone that cares about this program. Gearlds was contacted right after White was not allowed out of her Vandy contract, which was the only good thing about the process, we would be really bad off with Stephanie on the sidelines.

So, I wait to see how KG does the next three years before making any proclamations for good or ill. Experience should have taught all Purdue fans that lesson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT