ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about center this year ?

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
Obviously TKR appears to be the starter, what about ?

Furst ? what's happening with him ? practice how's he doing , did I miss something with him ?

Berg , seems like time for him to evolve , given 2 years of playing with Edey , etc what's the prognosis with him ?

Furst ? what's happening with him ? practice how's he doing , did I miss something with him ?

Berg , seems like time for him to evolve , given 2 years of playing with Edey , etc what's the prognosis with him ?
In a podcast I posted in another thread, it is suggested that DJ, TKR, Furst and Heide probably split the time with the 4 and 5…no one knows if berg is going to play much or if he is ready for it. Burgess to RS.

In a podcast I posted in another thread, it is suggested that DJ, TKR, Furst and Heide probably split the time with the 4 and 5…no one knows if berg is going to play much or if he is ready for it. Burgess to RS.
Watched a couple of videos here lately reviewing the upcoming team and there is a lot of hype around DJ and how he could start from day one. I haven't watched a lot of recent videos of DJ so have no clue how accurate it is, but that would be something if so.

It seems like Berg and Furst are the odd men out this season. Which makes me appreciate Furst sticking around as he has to know his playing time is limited but also from what I heard/read, he isn't planning on the NBA anyway.

Watched a couple of videos here lately reviewing the upcoming team and there is a lot of hype around DJ and how he could start from day one. I haven't watched a lot of recent videos of DJ so have no clue how accurate it is, but that would be something if so.

It seems like Berg and Furst are the odd men out this season. Which makes me appreciate Furst sticking around as he has to know his playing time is limited but also from what I heard/read, he isn't planning on the NBA anyway.
Yeah for sure. Casey talks about DJ not being disciplined (yet) as a Frosh, but he plays so far above the rim that he is able to make up for those mistakes with that talent. He’ll contribute this year for sure, but will be some growing pains (assumed). But one year/another summer under coach B and he’s going to be a top big man next year and IF he sticks around for junior year. (NBA going to be calling), he will be THE top Big man in the country…

Don’t tell Wole I put out a bold statement, tho.

Sooo it seems that everyone has ruled out Berg making any significant difference on the team and will get little playing time. I’m not sure that’s gonna be the case. I think he gets some time on the court and hopefully he can take advantage of it after battling Zach daily in practice the past couple years. I’m sure he’s been battle hardened and he deserves a chance if he’s got the work ethic and skills to get on the court. Good luck to Will!

Sooo it seems that everyone has ruled out Berg making any significant difference on the team and will get little playing time. I’m not sure that’s gonna be the case. I think he gets some time on the court and hopefully he can take advantage of it after battling Zach daily in practice the past couple years. I’m sure he’s been battle hardened and he deserves a chance if he’s got the work ethic and skills to get on the court. Good luck to Will!
I don't disagree with you, my point about DJ is just based off of what limited info I have heard/read. So doesn't mean squat really.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

I think we will see a rotation with combinations of...

4 - Furst
5 - TKR

4 - Heide
5 - TKR

4 - Furst
5 - Jacobson

4 - TKR
5 - Jacobson

I think Heide will play some at 4, but you will likey need some more muscle/rebounding fortitude and can't really pair him with Jacobson. Jacobson and TKRs strengths/weaknesses compliment each other well.

Hot take:

Fursts last year will be his best.

Berg is odd man out. Just seems a little slow and and doesn't play like his size from limited viewing against 3rd string of bad teams. Hope I'm wrong and he can be a factor. Could use another big body.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

4 - Furst
5 - TKR

4 - Heide
5 - TKR

4 - Furst
5 - Jacobson

4 - TKR
5 - Jacobson

I think Heide will play some at 4, but you will likey need some more muscle/rebounding fortitude and can't really pair him with Jacobson. Jacobson and TKRs strengths/weaknesses compliment each other well.

Hot take:

Berg is odd man out. Just seems a little slow and and doesn't play like his size from limited viewing against 3rd string of bad teams. Hope I'm wrong and he can be a factor. Could use another big body.
Looks like Berg has been working very hard during the off season to improve. Hope it pays off for him.

4 - Furst
5 - TKR

4 - Heide
5 - TKR

4 - Furst
5 - Jacobson

4 - TKR
5 - Jacobson

Hot take:

Have you seen Heide recently? He’s a pretty good rebounder…wouldn’t be surprised if he, TKR and Bearden Smith lead us in rebounding.

I don't disagree with you, my point about DJ is just based off of what limited info I have heard/read. So doesn't mean squat really.
I really don't think anyone knows what will happen at the 4 and 5 other than the fact that if Trey and Cam are healthy they will plan. I can't imagine that it's a five-man rotation, but I think the coaching staff are giving Caleb, Will and Daniel every opportunity to earn those remaining minutes and are likely in now hurry to declare the winner/winners from that group.

Learning from Zach every practice for two years running the same offense and not be ready to step up? I really like Wills game he should be ready. TKR and Furst can play two spots IMO any chance TKR had at playing starter minutes at the 5 went to BYU. The same goes for Cam at the 4. he and Myles are the only experienced 3's They will be expected to play both wing spots. For freshmen to play 15 minutes or more is doubtful. Myles is one of the most athletic and talented freshmen to ever come down the ramp played 8 minutes a game last year. TKR is clearly our best five the trouble is he's our best 4 as well. Hard to make the rotations work unless Berg and Jacobsen can eat up most of the minutes at the 5. Vitale picked us as one of his sweet 16 teams. Crazy schedule and now Creighton. I think if you look at how to cover 200 minutes every game played at the highest-level could get interesting.

IMO any chance TKR had at playing starter minutes at the 5 went to BYU. The same goes for Cam at the 4
I think you're simply wrong here. Catchings would have backed up Cam at the 4 and Trey and Cam are likely to play 25 mpg at the 4 and 5 respectively (not necessarily all of them together).

I'm wrong all the time and could be here. If I am it's probably good news for Purdue as it means that Will or Daniel have blown up and are too good to keep off the floor. You know where to find me, I'll own up if you're right.

Learning from Zach every practice for two years running the same offense and not be ready to step up? I really like Wills game he should be ready. TKR and Furst can play two spots IMO any chance TKR had at playing starter minutes at the 5 went to BYU. The same goes for Cam at the 4. he and Myles are the only experienced 3's They will be expected to play both wing spots. For freshmen to play 15 minutes or more is doubtful. Myles is one of the most athletic and talented freshmen to ever come down the ramp played 8 minutes a game last year. TKR is clearly our best five the trouble is he's our best 4 as well. Hard to make the rotations work unless Berg and Jacobsen can eat up most of the minutes at the 5. Vitale picked us as one of his sweet 16 teams. Crazy schedule and now Creighton. I think if you look at how to cover 200 minutes every game played at the highest-level could get interesting.
Agree about Berg. I was impressed with his speed and mobility when he was in the game. You don't need top competition to see this.

I think you're simply wrong here. Catchings would have backed up Cam at the 4 and Trey and Cam are likely to play 25 mpg at the 4 and 5 respectively (not necessarily all of them together).

I'm wrong all the time and could be here. If I am it's probably good news for Purdue as it means that Will or Daniel have blown up and are too good to keep off the floor. You know where to find me, I'll own up if you're right.
I have been seeing Catchings on most of the 2025 mock drafts mainly in the low 30's. Catchings is a special talent as is Cam. Seen Daniel on one low 50's. I hope we get another shot at the Championship whatever works is good with me.

Agree about Berg. I was impressed with his speed and mobility when he was in the game. You don't need top competition to see this.
It's going to be very interesting. I agree with you, I think Will can legitimately play. Some fans are ready to write off Furst but this is a guy that Tom Izzo has praised on multiple occasions as being good enough to play a featured role at a lot of places and puts the good of the team first at Purdue. The kid played real minutes for the U19 team that beat Wemby for the gold. You don't start for the USAB U18 team like DJ did without being an elite, elite, talent.

One of those guys will almost certainly be outside of the rotation and I have no idea who it will be.

4 - Furst
5 - TKR

4 - Heide
5 - TKR

4 - Furst
5 - Jacobson

4 - TKR
5 - Jacobson

Hot take:

This. Although I think Berg and Waddell will get spot minutes. They won’t be part of the rotation but i think they will still see an increase. I didn’t think Berg was slow in his limited playing time.

Reactions: Roeder
This. Although I think Berg and Waddell will get spot minutes. They won’t be part of the rotation but i think they will still see an increase. I didn’t think Berg was slow in his limited playing time.

Yeah, maybe slow was the wrong word. I guess I question if the game will move a little too fast for him when the competition ramps up to high level D1 game speed, not mop up time. Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

Just seen Khamenei eliminated us.
Dang, really liked him, but top 25 kid from California unfortunately isn't in Painter and this programs wheelhouse.....yet.

A couple more deep March runs the next couple years could definitely change that.

I think another impact 4 is important for this class. Hopefully Sisley, Singleton, or the kid from Texas work out.

Reactions: northside100
Dang, really liked him, but top 25 kid from California unfortunately isn't in Painter and this programs wheelhouse.....yet.

A couple more deep March runs the next couple years could definitely change that.

I think another impact 4 is important for this class. Hopefully Sisley, Singleton, or the kid from Texas work out.
We offered late so makes sense. Still have offers out there to good players

I like Berg, but my money is on Jacobson starting with Furst backing him up and Tkr starting at the 4 and players like berg and Heide being back ups.

we may be as talented but we will have greater depth

I like Berg, but my money is on Jacobson starting with Furst backing him up and Tkr starting at the 4 and players like berg and Heide being back ups.

Serious question, how do you have any idea where to place that bet? I have opinions as to what might work best but other than interviews with Trey where he says he's been mostly working at the five I have no idea how this is going to shake out.

Obviously, DJ's USAB U18 performance was impressive but Berg is two years older, much more physically developed and has played against the NPOY every day for the last two seasons. I really don't have a clue as to how this will develop. It's a shame that someone out of Furst, Berg and DJ will likely be out of the rotation.

Last edited:

Furst could play more 4 than TKR. It may shake out that way but right now the players and coaches are saying TKR will start at center and Heide at the 4

You can't teach 7'2. Plus, the guy can run the floor, has a nice looking stroke, isn't a stiff.

The biggest question is, how much patience will Painter have with him on the floor? Will he let him play through his mistakes or have a quick hook?

You can't teach 7'2. Plus, the guy can run the floor, has a nice looking stroke, isn't a stiff.

The biggest question is, how much patience will Painter have with him on the floor? Will he let him play through his mistakes or have a quick hook?
Will need to see how he can guard, rebound, make quick decisions on offense and defense etc…not sure we can determine that yet.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler and BBG
Serious question, how do you have any idea where to place that bet? I have opinions as to what might work best but other than interviews with Trey where he says he's been mostly working at the five I have no idea how this is going to shake out.

Obviously, DJ's USAB U18 performance was impressive but Berg is two years older, much more physically developed and has played against the NPOY every day for the last two seasons. I really don't have a clue as to how this will develop. It's a shame that someone out of Furst, Berg and DJ will likely be out of the rotation.
Wole is just being brave.

Yes, someone will be out of the regular rotation. But we will need them all. We will need more front court depth this season than last, when Edey was almost never in foul trouble. I can't see it being like that again.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash

Yes, someone will be out of the regular rotation. But we will need them all. We will need more front court depth this season than last, when Edey was almost never in foul trouble. I can't see it being like that again.
Haha correct on that. Our front court will get called for lots more fouls and a lot of fan bases (especially UT’s) will point it out and say edey got favorable foul calls 😂

Haha correct on that. Our front court will get called for lots more fouls and a lot of fan bases (especially UT’s) will point it out and say edey got favorable foul calls 😂
I hope not because that suggests not containing the dribble well enough which brings "out" a lot of other issues besides the fouls. ;)

That's probably accurate. I can certainly see wanting to throw both DJ and Will at an opponent that has a good traditional big to keep Trey off of him and allow us 10 fouls. There aren't a ton of those quality traditional bigs on our schedule but teams certainly did that to Zach all the time.

Zach was so big and so good at going straight up, many didn't challenge much.
Now our center is likely to be more than 6" shorter and much less reach.
Teams are going to go right at our center, whoever it is, if they have a player with post skills.
And our 6'9" centers (TKR and Furst anyway) are going to have to challenge some of those shots or just get killed in the paint.
Going to foul a LOT more this year with 2 short veterans and 2 taller, but new post guys.

Last edited:
Furst could play more 4 than TKR. It may shake out that way but right now the players and coaches are saying TKR will start at center and Heide at the 4
Is there anything out there other than the interview the first day of practice over 2 months ago that says that? Someone reposted it a couple weeks ago on here but it was already old and DJ wasn't even on campus yet (playing at the USU18).

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Is there anything out there other than the interview the first day of practice over 2 months ago that says that? Someone reposted it a couple weeks ago on here but it was already old and DJ wasn't even on campus yet (playing at the USU18).
Reports (from gold and black and also rivals) have been saying TKR is going to play the 5 and spend time also at the 4…it may depend on who we play.

Zach was so big and so good at going straight up, many didn't challenge much.
Now our center is likely to be more than 6" shorter and much less reach.
Teams are going to go right at our center, whoever it is, if they have a player with post skills.
And our 6'9" centers (TKR and Furst anyway) are going to have to challenge some of those shots or just get killed in the paint.
Going to foul a LOT more this year with 2 short veterans and 2 taller, but freshmen post guys.
I think the effectiveness of the 5 or if playing two 4s inside relative to picking up fouls has a lot to do with the pressure on the ball and I'm opening up myself here...but "containing the dribble"! ;) If you provide sufficient pressure on the ball while "containing the dribble" effectively you can really help that situation a lot. This last line really opened me up to a flurry or urology takes! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
I think the effectiveness of the 5 or if playing two 4s inside relative to picking up fouls has a lot to do with the pressure on the ball and I'm opening up myself here...but "containing the dribble"! ;) If you provide sufficient pressure on the ball while "containing the dribble" effectively you can really help that situation a lot. This last line really opened me up to a flurry or urology takes! ;)
Would 'contain penetration' go over better?

Maybe not

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT