ADVERTISEMENT

Question about NIL

Jul 9, 2015
How does it work from the university's end? For example, say Kentucky wanted Braden Smith, do they just reach out to him? Or does the player have to advertise that his services are for sale? And, concurrently, are there any restrictions anymore on if/what/how much of a course load a player carries? Or is the player just there for the money?
I am very indifferent, therefore ignorant of NIL, as it seems indifferent to what is best for the "student-athlete". And, like most posters over 40, I certainly don't agree with it. (Sorry Wole).

From what I understand it's the Wild West.

Teams are supposed to wait until a player is in portal, but there is no enforcement to punish the schools with no moral compass for tampering with a player.

I'm pretty sure Chucky Hepburn was poached by Louisville this way and Texas AM did this to Nic Scourton from Purdue in football.

Some guardrails need to be set in place. The NBA, MLB, NFL have fines and take away draft picks for tampering. If players want paid, they need bound by contracts and contact periods like the pros IMO.

Guardrails should be coming with the house settlement right? I’d think the clearinghouse should make a big difference as of next year.

I believe the clearinghouse itself.
Which I think is run by the NCAA(?). I think it's great that they're putting some explicit rules in place, I'm just not optimistic that they'll police and enforce those rules.

There are rules but zero enforcement of those rules. At OSU, They have a pot of money. They know how much that pot is. However, their AD has decided where that money will be spent.

I bring this up because different schools will spend their money differently. OSU may have more NIL money to spend than Purdue. But Purdue probably has more NIL money to spend on basketball players than OSU is willing to spend.

This is seldom brought up or discussed. But it is the truth. Look at HOUSTON. Their AD has decided they will spend a lot of NIL money on their track program. As a result they attract a lot of Olympic track athletes. And their football program is not that great.

While the NCAA may not regulate or enforce the NIL spending very well, the respective school ADs do and their coaches know how much they can spend.

And something that is not talked about very much. Players can always broker their own NIL deals. That’s what Pack did when he went to Miami. His handlers brokered that deal for him. Was it legal? No sanctions were imposed on pack or Miami so it must have been legal.

A question to ask and think about and discuss. The amount of NIL money schools spend is public knowledge. But what fans. Need to research and find out is How much each school spends on their respective sports. I believe you may be pleasantly surprised if you knew how much of the NIL money that Purdue spent on its basketball players verses what other schools spend on their basketball players.

Purdue will never come close to what OSU and Texas and A&M and Alabama spend on their football players. But when it comes to basketball, you may be shocked.

One last point. Look at Wisconsin. They had NIL money to spend . But they didn’t want to spend very much of it on their basketball players. So their players found better deals and left. If uw had decided to give their basketball team more nil money to spend, maybe their players would have stayed.

The NCAA may have no control over the NIL, but the schools do.

Track provides a great example to discuss NIL. A little known fact: NIL is also broken down by many schools by positions as well. Only so much NIL can be given to high jumpers verses sprinters Verses distance runners verses field events.

Swimming is another example. Purdue had 6-8 Olympic divers. Several competed for different countries. They came to Purdue Mainly because of their diving coach. Normally you would say there is no way Purdue could be giving out a lot of nil money to divers. But obviously Purdue has decided to give more nil money and scholarships to its divers than other schools.

Let’s look at golf and hockey. My guess is Purdue spends as much NIL money for its golfers as U.W. spends on its hockey players.

Once you look at it And see how NIL is used for all sports rather than just football and basketball, you realize how hard it is for the NCAA to regulate it.

Should the NCAA even try to regulate the NIL?

The future ? Ever notice how certain track athletes wear certain shoes? college athletes will soon become like nascar drivers, golfers and pro bowlers wearing their sponsors’s patches all over their uniforms. We could see college basketball players wearing longer shorts just to show off their sponsor patches!

I know this all sounds crazy. It’s not any more crazy than USC being a part of the big 10 or college athletes making more money than Purdue alumni engineers! Forget graduation and getting a job! Let’s play college sports as long as we can and make millions.

There are rules but zero enforcement of those rules. At OSU, They have a pot of money. They know how much that pot is. However, their AD has decided where that money will be spent.

I bring this up because different schools will spend their money differently. OSU may have more NIL money to spend than Purdue. But Purdue probably has more NIL money to spend on basketball players than OSU is willing to spend.

This is seldom brought up or discussed. But it is the truth. Look at HOUSTON. Their AD has decided they will spend a lot of NIL money on their track program. As a result they attract a lot of Olympic track athletes. And their football program is not that great.

While the NCAA may not regulate or enforce the NIL spending very well, the respective school ADs do and their coaches know how much they can spend.

And something that is not talked about very much. Players can always broker their own NIL deals. That’s what Pack did when he went to Miami. His handlers brokered that deal for him. Was it legal? No sanctions were imposed on pack or Miami so it must have been legal.

A question to ask and think about and discuss. The amount of NIL money schools spend is public knowledge. But what fans. Need to research and find out is How much each school spends on their respective sports. I believe you may be pleasantly surprised if you knew how much of the NIL money that Purdue spent on its basketball players verses what other schools spend on their basketball players.

Purdue will never come close to what OSU and Texas and A&M and Alabama spend on their football players. But when it comes to basketball, you may be shocked.

One last point. Look at Wisconsin. They had NIL money to spend . But they didn’t want to spend very much of it on their basketball players. So their players found better deals and left. If uw had decided to give their basketball team more nil money to spend, maybe their players would have stayed.

Track provides a great example to discuss NIL. A little known fact: NIL is also broken down by many schools by positions as well. Only so much NIL can be given to high jumpers verses sprinters Verses distance runners verses field events.

Swimming is another example. Purdue had 6-8 Olympic divers. Several competed for different countries. They came to Purdue Mainly because of their diving coach. Normally you would say there is no way Purdue could be giving out a lot of nil money to divers. But obviously Purdue has decided to give more nil money and scholarships to its divers than other schools.

Let’s look at golf and hockey. My guess is Purdue spends as much NIL money for its golfers as U.W. spends on its hockey players.

Once you look at it And see how NIL is used for all sports rather than just football and basketball, you realize how hard it is for the NCAA to regulate it.

The future ? Ever notice how certain track athletes wear certain shoes? college athletes will soon become like nascar drivers, golfers and pro bowlers wearing their sponsors’s patches all over their uniforms. We could see college basketball players wearing longer shorts just to show off their sponsor patches!

I know this all sounds crazy. It’s not any more crazy than USC being a part of the big 10 or college athletes making more money than Purdue alumni engineers! Forget graduation and getting a job! Let’s play college sports as long as we can and make millions.
The funny part is I think I agree with your overall message but there are so many egregious inaccuracies in your post that it’s hard for me to tell.

Purdue bball is not near the top bball programs for NIL.

Reactions: pboiler18
You obviously misunderstood what I posted. I didn’t say Purdue had the highest basketball NIL . I said you would be surprised at how much Purdue gives to its basketball program in comparison to colleges who are known for their overall. nil giving!

Rather than comparing Purdue with Kansas, Look at the % of Nil money Purdue gives to its basketball program. Verses what % colleges like A&M, Texas, OSU and Alabama give to their basketball programs.

It’s a given that the Purdue overall NIL does not come close to what OSU gives out. But if you look at their two basketball programs, I believe you will be surprised at how much % wise that Purdue gives to other sports besides football and how big of a % of their NIL. That OSU gives to football.

I believe if you take a hard look, you will find Different schools have a different philosophy in how their NIL and scholarships are given.

And that’s what makes it so hard for the NCAA to regulate it.

You obviously misunderstood what I posted. I didn’t say Purdue had the highest basketball NIL . I said you would be surprised at how much Purdue gives to its basketball program in comparison to colleges who are known for their overall. nil giving!

Rather than comparing Purdue with Kansas, Look at the % of Nil money Purdue gives to its basketball program. Verses what % colleges like A&M, Texas, OSU and Alabama give to their basketball programs.

It’s a given that the Purdue overall NIL does not come close to what OSU gives out. But if you look at their two basketball programs, I believe you will be surprised at how much % wise that Purdue gives to other sports besides football and how big of a % of their NIL. That OSU gives to football.

I believe if you take a hard look, you will find Different schools have a different philosophy in how their NIL and scholarships are given.

And that’s what makes it so hard for the NCAA to regulate it.

I believe you read the OP correctly and you are right, there's zero chance that the statement below is accurate:

"OSU may have more NIL money to spend than Purdue. But Purdue probably has more NIL money to spend on basketball players than OSU is willing to spend."

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I believe you read the OP correctly and you are right, there's zero chance that the statement below is accurate:

"OSU may have more NIL money to spend than Purdue. But Purdue probably has more NIL money to spend on basketball players than OSU is willing to spend."
Wole confused himself

mom son GIF

Reactions: pboiler18

It does sound crazy because it’s a bunch of crap. You are just making up a lot of this stuff. Yes the schools have a strong influence on the collectives but there are several, some sports have their own, the athletes have their own, there is a marketplace exchange where donors can sponsor players directly, etc. it’s a comprehensive system.

Secondly it’s not public how the money is spent. If im wrong I’d love to see the data!

Third what pack did was not legal and there was blowback for it. They warned Miami and then got them on a technicality with free meals to the women’s recruits from the guy who brought pack in and that guy is now also under federal investigation by the irs and fbi.

Fourth what you are saying about non-Olympic sports is just silly . You are assuming the diving recruits are getting big NiL and have no basis. You make a good comment they are there for the coaching then nullify that with the comment on NIL. If you have info on that please share it. I do know a push from JPC was to endow scholarships so we have some random sports that have scholarships fully endowed whereas often those sports don’t have that at other schools like women’s golf, I think we had 2-3 and we would get top recruits from around the world as a result. That is fact. Let’s hear them for your statements.

Lastly I have a hard time believing there is much NIL in track, it’s a horrible return on a donation unless someone specifically wants to contribute to that out of the goodness in their heart. I would be very upset if I gave the collective big money and knew it was going to anything except basketball and football. The name image and likeness of track athletes is trivial.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Was VERY surprised to see BYU in the top 3... much less for basketball. no wonder we lost that certain bball player...

Was VERY surprised to see BYU in the top 3... much less for basketball. no wonder we lost that certain bball player...
BYU fans say it’s the jazz owner and a few other billionaires….i think it may be the church backing them too but they deny that haha. Either way they are getting $$$& from somewhere!

Speaking of KC, just saw BYU signed a 22 year old 6’10 European who, apparently, is very good. So not sure how that will impact KC’s minutes and exposure, but I assume it’s not good for him trying to get to the next level.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT