ADVERTISEMENT

QB Situation

Rose Bowl Boilers

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2001
AOC is a good walk on QB. He is not a scholarship QB and you can see why. There were a lot of expectations at QB with Brohm at the helm but he has had a lot of bad luck.

Piferi was moved to TE, Sindelar left school a year early, and Sipe was injured. So we are behind at the QB position which no one thought would happen. It's going to be at least two years until we have another possible "cradle of QBs" type QB.

Hopefully Alaimo or Brady Allen can be the answer...but these guys are two years away.

For now we have AOC, Plummer, and Burton whether you like it or not. Hopefully one of them can emerge until the younger guys take over in a couple years.

AOC is a good walk on QB. He is not a scholarship QB and you can see why. There were a lot of expectations at QB with Brohm at the helm but he has had a lot of bad luck.

Piferi was moved to TE, Sindelar left school a year early, and Sipe was injured. So we are behind at the QB position which no one thought would happen. It's going to be at least two years until we have another possible "cradle of QBs" type QB.

Hopefully Alaimo or Brady Allen can be the answer...but these guys are two years away.

For now we have AOC, Plummer, and Burton whether you like it or not. Hopefully one of them can emerge until the younger guys take over in a couple years.
The term "walk-on" has no bearing on whether a QB is good or not. There have been plenty of walk-on athletes who have made it to the NFL. So maybe let's not use that term to describe the effectiveness of our QB. I've said enough on how I feel about O'Connell and his prior "walk on" status is the least of my concerns.

AOC was awarded a scholarship, just like Horvath.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Give me some Burton now. Need a mobile QB.

AOC was awarded a scholarship, just like Horvath.
I have more respect for a player who earned his scholarship at the D1 college level than one who was given a scholarship based on what he did in high school. Wish people would quit sayin "walk on" as if it is an accurate description of the player he is now. Same with Horvath and Garvin. How about all the scholarship players who aren't putting in the work required to beat them out or aren't giving them enough help, whether its a clean pocket or moving the defensive line 1 g.d. inch backwards.

There are some trash scholarship QBs out there. So O'Connell is certainly a scholarship worthy QB. He may not be all B1G caliber, but he's serviceable and I think calling him a walk-on (even if that's how he's started) as a perjorative diminishes what he's done for PU last year & this year.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Unless O'Connell has a really hot hand, I wouldn't be opposed at all to giving all 3 of our QB's decent playing time. That goes for several other positions as well. Let's face it, this season is what it is and certainly won't be remembered for football. With the exceptions that the NCAA is providing for redshirt seasons, etc., play everyone and figure out what you have for next season.

I have more respect for a player who earned his scholarship at the D1 college level than one who was given a scholarship based on what he did in high school. Wish people would quit sayin "walk on" as if it is an accurate description of the player he is now. Same with Horvath and Garvin. How about all the scholarship players who aren't putting in the work required to beat them out or aren't giving them enough help, whether its a clean pocket or moving the defensive line 1 g.d. inch backwards.
I agree. I was skeptical with Horvath. But after seeing the amazing effort he makes on the field, you have to respect him and agree that he's earned his scholarship and then some. I don't agree with playing him every down. But that's not his fault.

Yeah, we really should lead the Big Ten in passing. Oh, wait. We do.

Aidan O’Connell is No. 1 in the Big Ten in passing yards per game.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 1 in the Big Ten in pass completions per game.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 4 in the Big Ten in completion percentage.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 4 in the Big Ten in fewest interceptions.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 5 in the Big Ten in passer rating.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 5 in the Big Ten in touchdown passes.

That’s Aidan O’Connell after facing two of the top three defenses in the Big Ten. Northwestern is No. 2 and Iowa is No. 3, both in points and total yardage.

But scholarship armchairs think we can do better than lead the league.

Unless O'Connell has a really hot hand, I wouldn't be opposed at all to giving all 3 of our QB's decent playing time. That goes for several other positions as well. Let's face it, this season is what it is and certainly won't be remembered for football. With the exceptions that the NCAA is providing for redshirt seasons, etc., play everyone and figure out what you have for next season.
I think Brohm laments having a quick trigger with the starting QB in the past. Even after the Iowa game he commended Brian for sticking with Aidan and admitted he may not have had the patience to do so. I think he was really fighting the urge to pull him on Saturday. It's a delicate balance for sure. You want to have at least one confident QB, and he wasn't throwing picks or completely flailing about. I am a bit surprised they didn't have a "package" or two prepared for Plummer or Burton, just to mix things up, especially with the extra week to prepare. But that hasn't been his M.O.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT