ADVERTISEMENT

Putting in the Work

Oh wait, you're talking about Colvin. Yeah, that's good stuff right there.

Sure is. Kids have shooting practice at all levels. He just is in really ridiculous at hitting them when wide open. Good for him.

Next how about running a mile & then practicing shooting over a 6-5 guy with his hands up. Or other shooting drills that mimic actual game shooting when semi tired?

Sure is. Kids have shooting practice at all levels. He just is in really ridiculous at hitting them when wide open. Good for him.

Next how about running a mile & then practicing shooting over a 6-5 guy with his hands up. Or other shooting drills that mimic actual game shooting when semi tired?
I mean he's going to do all that at practice.

Any concerns I might have about Colvin, and I don't really have any because of Catchings has stayed I think he would have taken over the 2 slot, but it would be defense continuing to improve and working perhaps more on taking it to the rim.

But in reality, I think he's going to blow up big time.

I mean he's going to do all that at practice.

Any concerns I might have about Colvin, and I don't really have any because of Catchings has stayed I think he would have taken over the 2 slot, but it would be defense continuing to improve and working perhaps more on taking it to the rim.

But in reality, I think he's going to blow up big time.

Think we all believe he is going to explode. We just don't know when? I liked how he finished the year. Hoping for big things in 24/25.

It would be better practice if he were taking each shot from a slightly different place. Like two steps forward, then one step back, one step forward, two steps back, etc. (interleaving) Develops better neural circuits for controlling your muscles and sight for taking the shots.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It would be better practice if he were taking each shot from a slightly different place. Like two steps forward, then one step back, one step forward, two steps back, etc. (interleaving) Develops better neural circuits for controlling your muscles and sight for taking the shots.
This is only a clip. I would believe he is working on a whole lot more than just the corner shot.

This is only a clip. I would believe he is working on a whole lot more than just the corner shot.

I know he is and maybe that video was just for show. That was not my point that he was only practicing that one shot. My point was how he was practicing it. It has been shown in every sport, from badminton to baseball you never want to keep repeating one thing. You always want to be interleaving. The difference between a deliberate practice and a naive practice.

Kerr and Booth, "Specific and Varied Practice of Motor Skills," Perceptual Motor Skills , vol. 46, p. 395, 1978.

K. Hall, D. Domiongues and R. Cavazos, "Contextual interference effects with skilled baseball players," Perceptual and motor skills, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 835-841, 1994.

It even works for academic learning, Kornell and Bjork, "Learning Concepts and Categories, “Is Spacing the “Enemy of Induction”?,”," Psychological Science, vol. 19, p. 585, 2008

I know he is and maybe that video was just for show. That was not my point that he was only practicing that one shot. My point was how he was practicing it. It has been shown in every sport, from badminton to baseball you never want to keep repeating one thing. You always want to be interleaving. The difference between a deliberate practice and a naive practice.

Kerr and Booth, "Specific and Varied Practice of Motor Skills," Perceptual Motor Skills , vol. 46, p. 395, 1978.

K. Hall, D. Domiongues and R. Cavazos, "Contextual interference effects with skilled baseball players," Perceptual and motor skills, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 835-841, 1994.

It even works for academic learning, Kornell and Bjork, "Learning Concepts and Categories, “Is Spacing the “Enemy of Induction”?,”," Psychological Science, vol. 19, p. 585, 2008
I know in law school I would read a case, then shoot a jumper, case, jumper, case...

Have you…played basketball and practiced it religiously? You don’t just stop shooting from a spot because you’ve mastered it. He is also form shooting, so he is practicing the skill of catching the ball, being wide open and hitting that shot at a high %. It’s always good to have that muscle memory from different spots on the floor.

Tbh It probably was a drill…or even part of his routine of putting up an “x amount of shots” for the day.

I guarantee you Steph Curry does this too and then moves on to other drills where he does crazy situations over and over to perfect those. And I bet Myles moved on to another drill as well after this or had done some before this.

Now, if we were told Myles only shoots from that corner for 3 straight hours that very way, every practice and never moves from there, then I’d agree with you. But I think he and the Purdue staff are a bit more savvy and don’t do that.

Have you…played basketball and practiced it religiously? You don’t just stop shooting from a spot because you’ve mastered it. He is also form shooting, so he is practicing the skill of catching the ball, being wide open and hitting that shot at a high %. It’s always good to have that muscle memory from different spots on the floor.

Tbh It probably was a drill…or even part of his routine of putting up an “x amount of shots” for the day.

I guarantee you Steph Curry does this too and then moves on to other drills where he does crazy situations over and over to perfect those. And I bet Myles moved on to another drill as well after this or had done some before this.

Now, if we were told Myles only shoots from that corner for 3 straight hours that very way, every practice and never moves from there, then I’d agree with you. But I think he and the Purdue staff are a bit more savvy and don’t do that.

No, but baseball. And when you take batting practice you aren't thrown 50 fast balls, then 50 curve balls, then 50 sliders, etc. You never know what pitch is coming.

And to dispel a baseball myth, you actually cannot see a pitched ball. So you cannot keep your eye on the ball!

It would be very disturbing if he didn’t shoot like that when wide open with all the time in the world to shoot. He’s catching the ball at his chest, and then dropping the ball down to his waist before shooting. Not sure how many of those shots he’ll get in a game.
Did anyone see Sam Hauser’s corner 3 against the Mavs Thursday night? The pass hit him in the hands just above head high, and it was on the way to the basket without a hitch. If you blinked, you would have missed catch and release. Thing of beauty.

Actually Seth Curry uses interleaving,

Actually Seth Curry uses interleaving,

You mean Steph or Seth?

Yeah you’re right. Steph has never done what Myles is doing…. 🤦‍♂️

It would be very disturbing if he didn’t shoot like that when wide open with all the time in the world to shoot. He’s catching the ball at his chest, and then dropping the ball down to his waist before shooting. Not sure how many of those shots he’ll get in a game.
Did anyone see Sam Hauser’s corner 3 against the Mavs Thursday night? The pass hit him in the hands just above head high, and it was on the way to the basket without a hitch. If you blinked, you would have missed catch and release. Thing of beauty.

Troy Lewis would get his shot off in a fraction of a second, usually coming off a screen.

Here is a one-hour shot workout by Steph Curry. There is about 5 minutes (around 15-minute and 30-minute points) where he does take about 10 shots from the same place and then moves. There is the occasional two shots from the same place. Other than that most consecutive shots are taken from different spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
No, but baseball. And when you take batting practice you aren't thrown 50 fast balls, then 50 curve balls, then 50 sliders, etc. You never know what pitch is coming.

And to dispel a baseball myth, you actually cannot see a pitched ball. So you cannot keep your eye on the ball!

I think what you mean to say is you can't see a pitched ball all the way to the bat. At some point you lose sight of it. Of course you can see the ball when it is on it's way to the plate, if you couldn't everyone would be hitting .000 It's just a matter of WHEN you lose sight of it.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I think what you mean to say is you can't see a pitched ball all the way to the bat. At some point you lose sight of it. Of course you can see the ball when it is on it's way to the plate, if you couldn't everyone would be hitting .000 It's just a matter of WHEN you lose sight of it.

As you are reading my response, you probably feel you are seeing your whole computer screen. You only see an area about the size of a postage stamp and blind to everything else. Your eyes dart this postage size area around and your brain has developed an ability to fill in everything else and gives you the sense you are seeing everything. That is why you don’t see the blind spot where your optic nerve is or the shadows cast by the blood vessels in your eyes. To see the whole screen your occipital lobe would have to be hundreds of times larger than it is.

If you go to the 8-minute mark of the following you will see an experimental demonstration of this.

Hitting is based on the batter’s reading of the pitcher’s motion as to where the ball is going to be. That is why major league players cannot hit a softball pitch,

They haven't developed the mental models for reading a softball pitching motion.

if you have trouble hitting a curve ball, you most certainly ask the pitcher (or person running the machine) to throw you curveballs. Batting practice isn't a game situation.
No, you didn't dispel any myth. you most definitely see the ball. ;0)
How do you think batters (some) discern a curveball from a fastball. (it's the SPIN baby)
You can't hit what you can't see. ;)

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
As you are reading my response, you probably feel you are seeing your whole computer screen. You only see an area about the size of a postage stamp and blind to everything else. Your eyes dart this postage size area around and your brain has developed an ability to fill in everything else and gives you the sense you are seeing everything. That is why you don’t see the blind spot where your optic nerve is or the shadows cast by the blood vessels in your eyes. To see the whole screen your occipital lobe would have to be hundreds of times larger than it is.

If you go to the 8-minute mark of the following you will see an experimental demonstration of this.

Hitting is based on the batter’s reading of the pitcher’s motion as to where the ball is going to be. That is why major league players cannot hit a softball pitch,

They haven't developed the mental models for reading a softball pitching motion.

What makes you think big league hitters can't hit a softball?
I'm guessing what you mean is the occasional wild swing and miss you see on Youtube or ESPN, on a very slow eephus type pitch by a big leaguer on 1 or 2 pitches that they are trying to hit out of the ballpark.
That is Totally due to the EXTREME change in timing required to have a bat in the hitting zone against 95 mph big league pitching versus waiting a millennium (to a big leaguer) before swinging. Nothing to do with minds eye or not developing anything.
Any big league player would be the best softball player in your league. Instantly. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
if you have trouble hitting a curve ball, you most certainly ask the pitcher (or person running the machine) to throw you curveballs. Batting practice isn't a game situation.
No, you didn't dispel any myth. you most definitely see the ball. ;0)
How do you think batters (some) discern a curveball from a fastball. (it's the SPIN baby)
You can't hit what you can't see. ;)

You also might not be able to hit what you CAN see........

scan0010.jpg

Baseball players most certainly see the pitched ball. You said and I quote "you actually cannot see a pitched ball".

Batters may not see the ball all the way to the bat, but to say they don't see the ball is ridiculous. Of course they see it, otherwise when a ball came at their head they would just stand there and get hit by it. Instead they are ducking out of the way. Hitters don't simply "judge" where the ball is going to be by the motion of the pitcher.

I’m sorry I have not been clear about how the human vision system works, so let me try again.

Electromagnetic (EM) waves, in what we call the visual portion of the EM spectrum, hit our eyes and generate an electrical signal that travels the optic nerve to the occipital lobe in the back of the brain. (The suprachiasmatic nucleus sits on top of the optic nerve and how our bodies sense day from night.)

If you hold your arm straight out and look at your thumbnail, that is the area creating electrical signals at any instant. You are blind to everything else. Because your eyes move around, and your brain fills in the rest, you get this perception that you are seeing the whole landscape in front of you. At any instance you are blind to 95% of what is in front of you. (I find it amazing that with this system we can still do something like drive a car or hit a baseball!)

If I put you in front of a large screen TV and tracked your eyes and had a postage stamp size blank spot on the screen that moved with your eyes you would not see the picture. (This is demonstrated in that video I uploaded a link to earlier.)

You also look out and see all these colors, red, green, blue, orange, etc. There are no colors out there in the world. Just electromagnetic waves of different wavelengths. There are just electrical signals in your brain and your brain creates this color perception.

You have this perception of the color magenta. There is no electromagnetic wave that will generate magenta. You are seeing red and blue light, but your brain is creating a perception of magenta, which is even less real than the blue and red, which you are not seeing!

Your brain filling in the rest is how optical illusions work. Your brain anticipates what should be out there but isn’t.

I’m sorry I have not been clear about how the human vision system works, so let me try again.

Electromagnetic (EM) waves, in what we call the visual portion of the EM spectrum, hit our eyes and generate an electrical signal that travels the optic nerve to the occipital lobe in the back of the brain. (The suprachiasmatic nucleus sits on top of the optic nerve and how our bodies sense day from night.)

If you hold your arm straight out and look at your thumbnail, that is the area creating electrical signals at any instant. You are blind to everything else. Because your eyes move around, and your brain fills in the rest, you get this perception that you are seeing the whole landscape in front of you. At any instance you are blind to 95% of what is in front of you. (I find it amazing that with this system we can still do something like drive a car or hit a baseball!)

If I put you in front of a large screen TV and tracked your eyes and had a postage stamp size blank spot on the screen that moved with your eyes you would not see the picture. (This is demonstrated in that video I uploaded a link to earlier.)

You also look out and see all these colors, red, green, blue, orange, etc. There are no colors out there in the world. Just electromagnetic waves of different wavelengths. There are just electrical signals in your brain and your brain creates this color perception.

You have this perception of the color magenta. There is no electromagnetic wave that will generate magenta. You are seeing red and blue light, but your brain is creating a perception of magenta, which is even less real than the blue and red, which you are not seeing!

Your brain filling in the rest is how optical illusions work. Your brain anticipates what should be out there but isn’t.
I think we/I understand where you are trying to go and this information is correct about many things. And interesting stuff.
Just doesn't apply to seeing a baseball or not.
Big league pitchers are SO good and so consistent (many of them). Consistent strikes comes from repeating the same throwing motion hundreds of thousands of times over their careers. THEN they hit the majors and do much MORE work becoming even more consistent with very important technical factors like the "release point" when they loose the ball from their hand. ANY deviation in that release point and the pitcher will be wild OR the other team will discern when he's throwing different pitches based on that release point.
A good pitcher would frequently be SO consistently in the strike zone that if you taped every pitch you wouldn't be able to discern more than tiny differences in when that pitch is launched. Certainly not nearly close enough to be able to tell which pitch to swing at and which will be out of the strike zone.
And as noted, players would never dodge a wild pitch if they couldn't see it.
Watch a game and you'll SEE batters fooled by a pitch make adjustments IN THAT MOMENT and at least foul the ball off
Finally, some of us played for 15 years, and you simply do see the ball. Most of the time anyway.

Last edited:
Or we could go to Myles' clip and say, "Man, he just hit 14 in a row from 3! That's pretty good!"

I'm sure that this is not the only thing he is doing to 'up' his game.
Apparently, He needs to only shoot 10 shots from the same spot or else it’s not a good drill. Steph curry has never taken 10 shots in a row from the same spot in his 2.5M+ shots he has shot in practice in his 15 year NBA career.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I’m sure the coaches and trainers that he’s working/worked with are unimpressed and disappointed in his shooting exhibited in his video and will make any corrections that have been advised. We as fans should get no satisfaction or feel hopeful in his shot making repetition which I’m sure we could all replicate…

I for one elect to be encouraged and happy and look forward to seeing him balling out this fall! BOILER UP 🖤💛🏀

I think we/I understand where you are trying to go and this information is correct about many things. And interesting stuff.
Just doesn't apply to seeing a baseball or not.
Big league pitchers are SO good and so consistent (many of them). Consistent strikes comes from repeating the same throwing motion hundreds of thousands of times over their careers. THEN they hit the majors and do much MORE work becoming even more consistent with very important technical factors like the "release point" when they loose the ball from their hand. ANY deviation in that release point and the pitcher will be wild OR the other team will discern when he's throwing different pitches based on that release point.
A good pitcher would frequently be SO consistently in the strike zone that if you taped every pitch you wouldn't be able to discern more than tiny differences in when that pitch is launched. Certainly not nearly close enough to be able to tell which pitch to swing at and which will be out of the strike zone.
And as noted, players would never dodge a wild pitch if they couldn't see it.
Watch a game and you'll SEE batters fooled by a pitch make adjustments IN THAT MOMENT and at least foul the ball off
Finally, some of us played for 15 years, and you simply do see the ball. Most of the time anyway.

I’ll give it another try.

A study by Alfred W. Hubbard and Charles N. Seng at the University of Illinois looked at 29 MLB players batting and determined they do not see the ball because their eyes were not even looking at the ball as they were swinging.

It might seem like it, but our vision system is not like a camera. Much of what we see is the result of processing our brain does on limited input.

At any instant of time what you think you are seeing is an accumulation of up to 15 seconds of signals from your eyes. Remember at any instant what you are seeing is equivalent to the area of your thumb held out at arm’s length and the movement of your eyes builds up the what you are experiencing in your head.

Next time you go to an ophthalmologist, when they are shining a bright light from the side into your eye pay attention and you will suddenly see all the blood vessels in your eye. You never see them even though they are there, but you do when the side light casts their shadow in different places. Normally your brain blocks the image of your blood vessels and guesses what they are blocking so you get the impression of a complete picture. You are not “seeing” in your brain what is being cast on your retina, which includes your blood vessels. You are “seeing” something that is blocked by the blood vessels because your brain is creating the part that is blocked.

What makes you think big league hitters can't hit a softball?
I'm guessing what you mean is the occasional wild swing and miss you see on Youtube or ESPN, on a very slow eephus type pitch by a big leaguer on 1 or 2 pitches that they are trying to hit out of the ballpark.
That is Totally due to the EXTREME change in timing required to have a bat in the hitting zone against 95 mph big league pitching versus waiting a millennium (to a big leaguer) before swinging. Nothing to do with minds eye or not developing anything.
Any big league player would be the best softball player in your league. Instantly. ;)

Find evidence of a MLB player being able to hit a top women's softball pitcher. There have been many demonstrations of MLB players being unable to hit softball pitchers all the way back to Joan Joyce striking out Ted Williams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT