ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Wide Receivers

Oh mklinker.
As they say in the south. “You must be dumb as nails. Bless your heart.”
Again with the insults.....You have to be in junior high.

They weren't good enough to make it onto the field in Georgia so they left. Next up is the debate about four star vs three stars No doubt you will twist things whatever way you need to to make them look better than they are. Are they better than what we had? We will see. Keep drinking the Koolaid!

They weren't good enough to make it onto the field in Georgia so they left. Next up is the debate about four star vs three stars No doubt you will twist things whatever way you need to to make them look better than they are. Are they better than what we had? We will see. Keep drinking the Koolaid!
Actually CJ Smith was good enough to make the field and was probably going to get a bigger role this year, but decided to leave. He just wasn’t their top threat. Do I have reason to believe he isn’t talented enough to play at Purdue. Nope. Do you? Nope.

Big Ten Tour Bus sure thinks the WR room is a lot better. Why is thinking they could be good drinking koolaid when everyone who has seen them play has been impressed?

Reactions: z_one

They did make it onto the field for Georgia though. Both of them. Morrisette got snaps on a title team. Got himself into some trouble and now he’s here. Smith, by all accounts, was a guy they’d have rather kept. But now he’s here. These guys need to show that they can stay healthy and perform, but the talent is an upgrade for Purdue, and it’s ok to acknowledge that.

Reactions: z_one and bonefish1
Harrell has always run the ball much more than most “Air Raid” style offenses. Fine with me as I think Mockobee is the most talented RB we have had in ages.

OL needs to protect better, need to zone run more, WRs need to catch in traffic better.

If that happens we can win 6-7
I just hope Mock holds onto the ball better this year.

I just hope Mock holds onto the ball better this year.

It is rare that pboiler18 and I agree, but I agree, 6 to 7 wins is reasonable if those things happen.

Skydog, in an interview, Mockabee was candid about his development. He gained 15 pounds from last year. Looks bigger and stronger. He said last year he tried to avoid hits because he was a smaller RB. Now, he feels he gained the weight to take the hits and inflict hits. A bigger and stronger Mockabee should translate to him holding onto the ball better.

In another interview, CRW said because of Card’s injury and the state of the line, he had Harrell scheme up more runs. And to Harrell’s credit, he did. The running scheme looked much different latter part of the season. Mockabee looked different later in the season.

…….. I hear mklinker’s lame retort: but the last three teams Purdue played were bad teams…..

Was Wisconsin a bad team last year? (Bowl team). Yeah. IU beat Wisconsin last year. Yeah they had a bad record because they had to play Michigan, Ohio St and Penn State.
Was Iowa a bad team last year? (B1G championship game). Yeah Minnesota beat Iowa last year. And Nebraska.
Was Northwestern a bad team? They were a bowl team.

They weren’t all that bad. We beat 2 out of 3. If Card was not injured, we would have been 3 out of 3.

Reactions: z_one and SKYDOG
He definitely struggled with this early in the year.
He sure did. I was on here saying he was nearly unplayable at one point last year. But he’s an upperclassman now that has done a lot of good things for us. We don’t need to worry about this. He’s fine.

Reactions: z_one and BoilerN
I am sorry that I am conditioned to temper expectations. It comes from multiple disappointments over the past 30 years. Do I hope that the wr's are good....of course. But I am not willing to anoint them as great or even good until they prove it. Where they came from or how many stars were awarded does not win football games. The Big Ten Network comments are encouraging but keep in mind that their goal is to create excitement and viewers for the upcoming season. If they are right we should be able to produce strong offensive numbers.

I am sorry that I am conditioned to temper expectations. It comes from multiple disappointments over the past 30 years. Do I hope that the wr's are good....of course. But I am not willing to anoint them as great or even good until they prove it. Where they came from or how many stars were awarded does not win football games. The Big Ten Network comments are encouraging but keep in mind that their goal is to create excitement and viewers for the upcoming season. If they are right we should be able to produce strong offensive numbers.
BTN is supposed to hype, but they don’t unnecessarily hype. If it’s not a strength, they will say it’s a question mark, not a strength. The reason they didn’t talk about roster issues as much with Purdue is because there aren’t near as many as last year. Makes sense in year 2 of a rebuild.

Watch the iu segment. Not near as hyping.

Reactions: z_one and cillerdo
Very seldom does the media or a school post or reveal their weaknesses or low lights! They have highlight films. They don’t have lowlight films. An AD or coach is never publicly going to bad mouth his team or coaches. So what do expect Walters is going to say? What do you expect the local media is going to say?

If you want an honest opinion. Look for someone from a national viewpoint. Purdue is going to be great this year! But so are 16 other teams! What you say about Purdue are the exact same words other fans say about their teams.

Very seldom does the media or a school post or reveal their weaknesses or low lights! They have highlight films. They don’t have lowlight films. An AD or coach is never publicly going to bad mouth his team or coaches. So what do expect Walters is going to say? What do you expect the local media is going to say?

If you want an honest opinion. Look for someone from a national viewpoint. Purdue is going to be great this year! But so are 16 other teams! What you say about Purdue are the exact same words other fans say about their teams.
The local writers give honest reviews. Maybe a tick on the positive side. But I agree. National is better. And the only national view we have to look at is the BTN tour bus. They were high on Purdue. Especially the WR position. They weren’t high on other teams, meaning they call a spade a spade. Revsine said this is clearly not the worst team in the big ten.

Any other national media opinions I’m missing?

I do not understand the logic that this Wide Receiver room is bad if Sowinski a “walk on” rises to the top and start. Walk Ons are allowed to develop and take starting roles.

Is our RB room poor because Mockabee was once a walk on? AOC could not have been a walk on. I think Charlie Jones came in as a walk on?

I think a lot of receivers will compete for the slot receiver position. If Sowinski rises to the top and gets it. Good for him.

FYI. Sowinski and Card were roommates last year. Had build good rapport. That could help.
As it did for AOC and Charlie Jones when they were here.
I hope he does well. But people here are trashing last years WRs and sowinski rode the pine behind them. Then they are salivating over the new guys yet do sowinksi get so much better over the off-season he leapfrogged this elite new group?

I hope he does well. But people here are trashing last years WRs and sowinski rode the pine behind them. Then they are salivating over the new guys yet do sowinksi get so much better over the off-season he leapfrogged this elite new group?
Literally the only people here saying he is starting are people who read a hammer and rails article that had him listed as or with like 3 other dudes. Dienhart has said minimal about him. Like, he’s the 3rd slot receiver on the depth chart behind true freshman and transfers.

Literally the only people here saying he is starting are people who read a hammer and rails article that had him listed as or with like 3 other dudes. Dienhart has said minimal about him. Like, he’s the 3rd slot receiver on the depth chart behind true freshman and transfers.
Meh. There’s smoke here. Kam Brown and Morisette had missed all of camp up until last week. At this point he was the only healthy body there.

I don’t think he starts but the other guys will have to beat him out to take the spot.

Meh. There’s smoke here. Kam Brown and Morisette had missed all of camp up until last week. At this point he was the only healthy body there.

I don’t think he starts but the other guys will have to beat him out to take the spot.
Haha Tom just put out his depth chart and a paragraph on the WR’s. Zero mention of Sowinski. Zero smoke. Don’t recall seeing Morisette listed as out anywhere.

I’d have to go back, but pretty sure the BTN tour bus singled out Morisette as impressive.

The only thing i have to say about 2023 room is that the Receivers were not the best fit for this offense. Wish those guys the best. The TJ Sheffield departure could have been handled better.

My guess is that Sowinski will not start but will be an important piece in the WR rotation.

After all. He did have a long TD catch in the Spring Game. But only a guess. I am rooting for him.

Haha Tom just put out his depth chart and a paragraph on the WR’s. Zero mention of Sowinski. Zero smoke. Don’t recall seeing Morisette listed as out anywhere.

I’d have to go back, but pretty sure the BTN tour bus singled out Morisette as impressive.

According to Sam King and Nathan Baird, based on who was lined up as 1st team reps, they think it will be Edrine and Dixon Veal at perimeter and CJ Smith as slot. If everyone is healthy.
Dixon Veal and Smith had been out with injuries.

CJ Smith at slot is surprising.

Consensus is Edrine and CJ Smith are starting. But the third receiver is unknown. We shall see.

I have heard reports that Dixon Veal took a big step during Spring and Summer Camps. He was a starter in the Spring Game.

Who were the starting receivers from Dienhart’s chart?

According to Sam King and Nathan Baird, based on who was lined up as 1st team reps, they think it will be Edrine and Dixon Veal at perimeter and CJ Smith as slot. If everyone is healthy.
Dixon Veal and Smith had been out with injuries.

CJ Smith at slot is surprising.

Consensus is Edrine and CJ Smith are starting. But the third receiver is unknown. We shall see.

I have heard reports that Dixon Veal took a big step during Spring and Summer Camps. He was a starter in the Spring Game.
Ya. Tom has said Edrine and Smith outside and Dixon-Veal is the slot. Either way, it’s a really good starting group tbh.

Edrine, Tibbs, and Leland Smith. This is the ISU game depth chart projections.
I liked Tibbs last year. Outside of pre injury Klare was one of the few guys or maybe the only guy who could catch reliably in traffic.

JDV was slow last year but they played him a ton. Def hope he’s taken that jump forward as the media has said.

Leland Smith seems to be a big X factor. Great size and speed it seems. Hopefully can have a big impact.

CJ smith to me is kinda meh. I’m a UGA grad (so I know football, contrary to your belief) and this kid is way more track athlete than football player. Doesn’t mean he can’t develop but he didn’t play at UGA because he didn’t have the position skill…not because he wasn’t physically ready.

Morisette actually went to my high school and everybody has fantastic things to say about him. Prob not a huge contributor this year unless there’s significant injury but a guy who if he sticks it out could be a contributor in 25 and 26.

I liked Tibbs last year. Outside of pre injury Klare was one of the few guys or maybe the only guy who could catch reliably in traffic.

JDV was slow last year but they played him a ton. Def hope he’s taken that jump forward as the media has said.

Leland Smith seems to be a big X factor. Great size and speed it seems. Hopefully can have a big impact.

CJ smith to me is kinda meh. I’m a UGA grad (so I know football, contrary to your belief) and this kid is way more track athlete than football player. Doesn’t mean he can’t develop but he didn’t play at UGA because he didn’t have the position skill…not because he wasn’t physically ready.

Morisette actually went to my high school and everybody has fantastic things to say about him. Prob not a huge contributor this year unless there’s significant injury but a guy who if he sticks it out could be a contributor in 25 and 26.
I thought JDV started to come on at the end of last year. Smith was injured all the time I thought?

Never said you didn’t know football.

Last edited:
Edrine, Tibbs, and Leland Smith. This is the ISU game depth chart projections.
Just a few days ago H&R projected smith to be a reserve and special teams (while projecting sowinski as the starter). Will be interesting how many snaps each takes.

Just a few days ago H&R projected smith to be a reserve and special teams (while projecting sowinski as the starter). Will be interesting how many snaps each takes.

Do you have the link to the article. I would like to know which genius projected this.

Reactions: BoilerN
Honest question. Does anyone at hammer and rails represent at practice or anything?

Question. Are you also a Purdue grad. Or a UGA grad who happens to follow Purdue?

Coach Patterson said JDV took a big jump in his development. I guess we will find out what that means. I do not have his speed.

I like Leland Smith. His size and speed. He should be a factor this year, but I think he will be really good next year. He is skinny. Once he bulks up from off season training I think he can be special.

If you are correct about CJ Smith, maybe it makes sense that we move him to slot.

I think we will see a lot of Morisette this year. I would imagine we would rotate out our receivers more than what we did last year.

I like Tibbs. I think we can be that possession guy that Yaseem was last year.

This WR room has a lot of versatility, and may be match up problems.

Last edited:
Thanks. The authors PURB97 and jumboheros are kids that has the Boiler Alert podcasts. They do not attend practices, and they do not know what they are talking about. My guesses would be as credible as theirs.

Drew Schneider and Jed Wilkinson at HR are more credible.

My opinion. You do not have to agree.
Fair. But drew Schneider has been just as high on sowinski (he wrote the WR article). I don’t think H&R has full press credentials. When Travis was there he sometimes cracked into Events but I don’t think he has the ability to converse with coaches the way Tom does. I also don’t believe it is their full time job to cover Purdue athletics. Tom is almost 100% football. I believe even drew covers other sports and other schools.

Leland Smith is 6’4 220 lb with verified 4.4 speed.
CJ Smith is 6’3 195 lb. Do not know his verified speed, but know he is faster than Dieon Burks.

Freshmen Wide Receivers
Article mentions Tra’Mar Harris 6’1 180 lb but at Fall Camp, a lot of people have been talking up Shamar Rigby 6’5.

I like to see Donovan Hamilton 6’5 develop into a strong perimeter.

Sorry, but Shamar is not 6'5". But he looks to be a very promising receiver! Leland put on the jets in a 90 yarder last week. But with our corps of receivers, they may not get much of a chance (barring injuries).

Sorry, but Shamar is not 6'5". But he looks to be a very promising receiver! Leland put on the jets in a 90 yarder last week. But with our corps of receivers, they may not get much of a chance (barring injuries).
Roster lists him at 6'3"/187. Still very good size.

Reactions: cillerdo

I went by ON3 recruiting profile. Shamar is listed 6’5.

There could be a more official height measurement.

Question. Are you also a Purdue grad. Or a UGA grad who happens to follow Purdue?

Coach Patterson said JDV took a big jump in his development. I guess we will find out what that means. I do not have his speed.

I like Leland Smith. His size and speed. He should be a factor this year, but I think he will be really good next year. He is skinny. Once he bulks up from off season training I think he can be special.

If you are correct about CJ Smith, maybe it makes sense that we move him to slot.

I think we will see a lot of Morisette this year. I would imagine we would rotate out our receivers more than what we did last year.

I like Tibbs. I think we can be that possession guy that Yaseem was last year.

This WR room has a lot of versatility, and may be match up problems.
Grew up in Lafayette. First person in my family to NOT go to Purdue. UGA was free since I was in state at the time so that was an easy choice.

Sat through the Colletto years so couldn’t help but be a fan when Tiller showed up

Grew up in Lafayette. First person in my family to NOT go to Purdue. UGA was free since I was in state at the time so that was an easy choice.

Sat through the Colletto years so couldn’t help but be a fan when Tiller showed up

I wondered what it would have been like if Alstott and Brees played together. Alstott might not have fit in the “basketball on grass” scheme. But might have been fun.

But they weren't good enough for Georgia. That is why the transfered to Purdue.
they were good enough to be recruited by UGA. There's very few players PU is competing with UGA on for recruiting. Virtually all the UGA players are being recruited by schools like ND, OSU, Bama, Tex, etc. So, there's an upgrade in talent. Question is, can Walters tap it.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I wondered what it would have been like if Alstott and Brees played together. Alstott might not have fit in the “basketball on grass” scheme. But might have been fun.
Alstott was a unique talent, but there's a reason teams don't use a FB anymore.

I think he would have made hay - great receiver and would make it impossible to play with a light box (whether in numbers or personnel) because he was so hard to tackle.

Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
Official WR and TE depth chart for Indiana State game.

Receiver: Shamar Rigby, freshman / Leland Smith, sophomore

Receiver: Jaron Tibbs, sophomore / De'Nylon Morrissette, sophomore / Andrew Sowinski, senior

Receiver: Jahmal Edrine, junior / Jayden Dixon-Veal, senior

Tight end: Max Klare, sophomore / Drew Biber, junior / George Burhenn, sophomore

Shamar Rigby went from a promising freshman to Game 1 starter. This was surprising.
We get to see his quality at Ross Ade.

Tibbs is our slot.

Edrine is perimeter.

Official WR and TE depth chart for Indiana State game.

Receiver: Shamar Rigby, freshman / Leland Smith, sophomore

Receiver: Jaron Tibbs, sophomore / De'Nylon Morrissette, sophomore / Andrew Sowinski, senior

Receiver: Jahmal Edrine, junior / Jayden Dixon-Veal, senior

Tight end: Max Klare, sophomore / Drew Biber, junior / George Burhenn, sophomore

Shamar Rigby went from a promising freshman to Game 1 starter. This was surprising.
We get to see his quality at Ross Ade.

Tibbs is our slot.

Edrine is perimeter
Real interested in Tibbs in the slot. Did not see that one coming. Didn’t see him as the quick type to be in the slot, but if he runs great routes at his size that will be a nice weapon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT