ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Gonzaga MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen, from Honolulu and the campus of the University of Hawaii at Manoa - Stan Sheriff Center. This is a quarterfinal contest of the Allstate Maui Invitational between the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (3-0) and #11-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs (2-0). It is also a rematch of a SF contest last year in the holiday tournament in Portland, which was an early springboard game for Purdue, who took that one 84-66 on the way to the Phil Knight Legacy Invitational championship.

Tip-off is scheduled for 5:00 pm (Eastern time - 12 noon local time) with television coverage on ESPN2.

Purdue comes in off an 83-71 win at home over Xavier last Monday, and Gonzaga cruised to an easy 123-57 triumph over Eastern Oregon.

Projected Starting Line-Ups:

Gonzaga - Graham Ike, Anton Watson, Dusty Stromer, Nolan Hickman, and Ryan Nembhard

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lances Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

The season really starts getting interesting for both these teams today. Gonzaga has been lighting it up so far in its first two games - 104.5 points per game, which is 2nd in the nation. The Bulldogs are 70th in scoring defense by allowing 64 points a night. Braden Huff (off the bench) leads five Bulldogs in double figures as he puts up 21 points and 7.5 rebounds per game this season. Graham Ike (18 points, 7.5 rebounds), Anton Watson (15.5 points, nine rebounds), Nolan Hickman (13.5 points, four assists) and Ryan Nembhard (11 points, four rebounds, five assists) are all good scoring options. Dusty Stromer, Ben Gregg, Jun Seok Yeo, Colby Brooks, Luka Krajnovic and Joe Few are solid contributors for Gonzaga. The shooting has been hot too, 57.5% from the field as a team this season, which is third in the country. The Bulldogs are averaging seven three-pointers a night on 34.1% shooting from beyond the arc. About the only thing they haven't been executing as well has been with some struggles at the FT line - just 64.3% of their chances this season.

Needless to say, even though Purdue may have an edge in the paint, the Boilers will have their hands full and then some, trying to contain the Bulldogs. This game will really test how some of the adjustments and new personnel will work on defense and the glass - because Gonzaga will test them and push the pace if it can.

Now, Gonzaga will equally have its hands full with Purdue's attack, led by Zach Edey. But the Boilers have shown they are capable of working a little less through the Big Fella and have shown some success doing that. Granted, it is early in the season but seeing some shooting success can only help with the confidence and execution needed in big games like this. Regardless, Gonzaga could have some issues if they concentrate fully and sag in the paint to defend Edey. I look for them to mix it up and try to play a little of what Xavier did - if they can. Purdue will get its good opportunities if it works for them and limits the give-aways. One thing also to look for - Purdue usually has an edge on the glass, but the Boilers haven't quite had the biggest edge getting offensive rebounds - that could be one of several key factors today.

Gonzaga is a tough team year in and year out: this game appears to be no exception. Adding transfers like Ike and Nembhard to work with Watson and Hickman was a nice boost after losing Drew Timme and others. If Purdue can have reasonable success from long-range and have a decent game with turnovers, I like their chances here in what looks like it will be a spirited contest. It will also be interesting in how Purdue's Matt Painter deals with the rotations and some of the newcomers, particularly Cam Heide and Myles Colvin - they can provide production, but it's a jump to a bigger stage and spotlight game.......should be interesting.

The winner of this game will face the #7-Tennessee/Syracuse winner in the SF. The loser goes to the consolation side of the bracket. Can the Boilers triumph in its biggest test so far?

We shall see.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i

2023-maui-invitational-bracket.jpg

Last edited:
We took our honeymoon to Hawaii, 35 years ago and I got laid.
Do they still give you a flower necklace when you get off the plane?
oh heck no.
Only on arrival at the best resorts these days I think. I've never gotten one without paying for it.
My parents took their 3 children to Hawaii in 1978 and I got laid but no flowers. (was 17)
Then wasn't back for about 40 years. 3 times since. Wanted to stay in Lahaina next time.........

Last edited:
Should be a great game today and great 3 days overall! I don't think the Boilers will win the tournament snapping their 2+ year undefeated non-conference streak due to having BY FAR the toughest potential path to the title but should be a lot of fun!

Hope some of the new comers get run and hope Painter tries out different combinations at the 3 AND the 4 (Maybe Heide comes in as a small ball 4 defender).

And Yes I will overreact if they lose! Its the life of my fanhood! BTFU!

Ready in the Boonies. Just tossed the opossum roadkill into the ditch. Had to wait for the deer hunters to go down the lane.

Let's roll.

Great hustle from Gillis to get the extra opportunity, but goes begging. Gonzaga on a 12-0 run after Purdue opened up 6-0. Boilers look a 1/2 step slower right now, and Ike has been a force so far. It's early, though. :)

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT