ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. West Virginia (2022 Phil Knight Legacy Game Thread)

Fantastic win! Edey playing like the MVP we need him to be! Also guys are just team players on this team. So fun to watch. Great cohesiveness and leadership thus far. Man what I wouldn't give to see Smith on last year's team.

This team does have a good hard edge - didn't let West Virginia bully them. Didn't like all the turnovers (although a chunk were some ridiculous offensive fouls), but they shot better and made timely plays.

Likely get Gonzaga next - Big test there, but those are the games you should want.

This team does have a good hard edge - didn't let West Virginia bully them. Didn't like all the turnovers (although a chunk were some ridiculous offensive fouls), but they shot better and made timely plays.

Likely get Gonzaga next - Big test there, but those are the games you should want.
This team can go every bit as deep into the ncaa’s as any other team in recent years. Yeah there is a dropoff in talent at shooting guard maybe, but this team doesnt chase boneheaded fancy passes and they just grind you on defense

Reactions: Poprudy and tjreese
I am legit shocked about Waddell's athleticism. He did a great job breaking down the defense twice tonight leading to wide open dump off's to guys under the basket. His first step off the catch is decent and gets the defender on his hip. Maybe WV was respecting him as 3-point shooter? He made them pay though.

Turn out the lights

MEREDITH1-obit-articleLarge.jpg

1200x

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
I am legit shocked about Waddell's athleticism. He did a great job breaking down the defense twice tonight leading to wide open dump off's to guys under the basket. His first step off the catch is decent and gets the defender on his hip. Maybe WV was respecting him as 3-point shooter? He made them pay though.
Yes, don’t give up on Brian. He will only get better

Reactions: Zaphod_B
West Va. played rough, no prisoners basketball. The refs were having none of it last night. Did you see Eddy’s arms? Scratches and digs all over! West Va played their typical game and didn’t adjust to the way the game was called. If the refs had swallowed their whistles, we might have lost that game… or had several fist fights break out. I don’t think this Purdue team will take crap from anyone, so the game might have devolved into something that wasn’t basketball.

Not entirely surprising. That team fouled, a lot...
I had to check twice, but total fouls WV 23 PU 20. They just got theirs in bunches and mostly on a few guys. Made it seem more out of whack. If I hadn't looked up the box score I would have said they had 10-12 more fouls than we did.

West Va. played rough, no prisoners basketball. The refs were having none of it last night. Did you see Eddy’s arms? Scratches and digs all over! West Va played their typical game and didn’t adjust to the way the game was called. If the refs had swallowed their whistles, we might have lost that game… or had several fist fights break out. I don’t think this Purdue team will take crap from anyone, so the game might have devolved into something that wasn’t basketball.
Agree. The refs established it early and wasn't going to let this game get out of hand. Did you see how Stevenson tried to get up and wanted to start some stuff....WTH.

I had to check twice, but total fouls WV 23 PU 20. They just got theirs in bunches and mostly on a few guys. Made it seem more out of whack. If I hadn't looked up the box score I would have said they had 10-12 more fouls than we did.

Plus about half a dozen offensive fouls for the Boilers, Dry....28-17 FT disparity seems about right. Only one missed front end for Purdue.

No Szelc or DJ yet, but it's early.
The early whistle was a great help to Purdue as well as the execution of the emphasis (getting the ball to Zach and rebounding) to get going. Had the refs swallowed a few whistles as in the second half, the game might have turned out different.

Not often I bet, TJ. But.....when you shoot a low percentage and give up 28 FT's, I'm not totally surprised, especially with 18 Purdue turnovers. Painter has to like the FT's - Boilers made 7 more than WVU attempted.
The FTs were and will be huge. This team does not just stand behind the arc, but will drive the ball some. Even Mason has shown improvent in driving the ball. It not only gives Purdue FT shooters a few more looks, but punishes the other team by elimination for some duration, some of their players. The shots may not be in that "efficiency model" such as a longer 2 shot, but IMO it is what is needed throughout the game. Had Purdue not been ahead...getting into bonus early would also have been a huge help.

Still, 16 more shots as you agreed usually results in a loss. If only 2s it most likely is at least 10 more points and most likely more!

I think the players would have been restrained, but had the refs swallowed the whistles in the first half...the game probably would have turned out different

Agree. The refs established it early and wasn't going to let this game get out of hand. Did you see how Stevenson tried to get up and wanted to start some stuff....WTH.
Stevenson was the asshat that slammed into Smith when he was bringing the ball down, earning an intentional. What a jerk.

Reactions: Poprudy
Yeah, and he was going after Newman, who arguably blocked it cleanly (I think the foul was called on Furst). Nothing even close to dirty or a hard foul on that play. A ridiculous reaction by Stevenson.

Over the course of 4 games, Purdue has proven to be 9-10 deep. Could certainly be a big advantage in this tournament with the lack of days off.

ADVERTISEMENT