ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Nebraska Game Thread

Smith and Newman with some big FT's down the stretch - so that's a positive. Loyer finding a way to get to the bucket, too. Sometimes, you just gotta survive, but the Boilers didn't do themselves any favors from when they had control @ 45-31. With the way this was playing out, I fully expected them to drop this one.

Credit them for gutting it out and taking advantage in the end. If Nebraska plays with that energy, they'll pull a couple of surprises I think.

Now....time to take a breath and grab a beverage, folks!

All team's in the country should take note of the defense Neb played tonight. Completely take Edey away and force everyone else to beat them. Almost worked. Great game to learn from and fortunately get a win in the process!! Hope CMP creates new offense to counter this defense. Will definitely need some new tricks on offense now that teams will have this tape.

Yes - have to give him a strong side option, too. Walker is a tougher-than-average match-up as well. He had 10 rebounds (six offensive). I'll also agree that missing Gillis in this game had a bigger impact than against Minnesota. Nebraska battled Purdue on the boards better than anyone else has so far.

Now, the Boilers did play pretty good defense on Griesel and Wilcher - that ultimately saved them. Five points combined from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
We got lucky. What did they have like 4 possessions in a row towards the end of the 2nd half? Lucky they didn't score.
At the end of regulation it reminded me of a hockey game power play when a team can’t clear the puck and the other team peppers the goalie, in this case Purdue couldn’t grab a rebound and Nebraska was peppering the basket with misses lol

The Neb's are whining about the last call. Too bad. They certainly didn't whine about the no-calls on the pushing and shoving under the basket, on the bruising banging defense played on Smith as he tried to bring up the ball.

Sorry, not sorry.

We got lucky. What did they have like 4 possessions in a row towards the end of the 2nd half? Lucky they didn't score.

The rarely seen quintuple opportunity that goes scoreless- four straight offensive boards, and Purdue had to defend up 54-53 from the 1:23 mark to 0:28 - almost a full minute. That probably was Nebraska's best chance to pull the upset.

At the end of regulation it reminded me of a hockey game power play when a team can’t clear the puck and the other team peppers the goalie, in this case Purdue couldn’t grab a rebound and Nebraska was peppering the basket with misses lol

Edey should have been right at home then.....haha. Did anyone know he played hockey and baseball? :)

The Neb's are whining about the last call. Too bad. They certainly didn't whine about the no-calls on the pushing and shoving under the basket, on the bruising banging defense played on Smith as he tried to bring up the ball.

Sorry, not sorry.
Let’s be honest, we’d be whining as well, it was a rotten call, having said that, you take the win and head home, Nebraska had numerous opportunities to win that game, they missed way to many shots.

Nice road win when we couldn't hit a 3 to save our lives in the last 10 minutes. I actually thought the shooting stats were worse than they were. Edey's go to outlet passes were not working either. They knew exactly where he was going with it.

Heck of a game by Loyer. Great looking kid.

Edey should have been right at home then.....haha. Did anyone know he played hockey and baseball? :)
I scared my cat in that possession, it was like the ball had grease on it. Let’s be honest, that was one ugly win, however, on the road you take those and have a happy flight home! Today the team missed Mason, I have no doubts he grabs some of those rebounds, hope he’s rested and ready come next Big Ten game.

Let’s be honest, we’d be whining as well, it was a rotten call, having said that, you take the win and head home, Nebraska had numerous opportunities to win that game, they missed way to many shots.
Lots of bad calls either way. The Furst charge was negated by a Nebraska charge. Both bad calls. I really don't understand the Braden or Loyer foul when we were inbounding it after that. The Nebraska player blew up the screen.

Edey got hacked and hacked and hacked.

I do think Smith was fouled on the play in question, but the problem was he had already lost the ball. They can't change that call though.

Something like that.....I didn't notice he was calling the game until midway through first half. Scirotto was one of the others....have to check on the third guy.

John Floyd completed the trio. I think he's fairly new to the conference - used to be Horizon, MAC, and America East - played at Bowling Green. Maybe he took Bo's assignments.
dunno.gif

Watched via a choppy stream on my phone while at my daughter's bball game, but from what I could tell (when the stream worked) was that we couldn't take care of the ball especially deep in second half. Won't win on the road playing that against the better teams in the conference...

While the 3 pt shooting was bad. I'm more disappointed with FT shooting. Several front ends missed also. Hit close to our normal % and game would have been over earlier.

One negative for Neb caused by doubling the post literally all game was that there players had to constantly be in scramble mode rotations. Appeared to drain a lot of their energy and they didn't have much legs left on the offensive end.

While the 3 pt shooting was bad. I'm more disappointed with FT shooting. Several front ends missed also. Hit close to our normal % and game would have been over earlier.

Yes....I'll add one caveat Dry......down the stretch of regulation and OT, they made some big ones, so at least there's that. Zach Edey (1-4) and Trey Kaufman-Renn (1-3) and both missing front ends really hurt. Rest of the team was 10-13.

Some days the ball doesn’t go in the basket.

Don’t overthink it.

Boilers missed WIDE open looks from 3 and shot 24% - Loyer was 2-10! and missed 8 FT’s.

Once is an aberration.

Nebraska did what every other team has done -sit on Edey to start the game - but the team shot them out of it by halftime. By that point their Bigs had foul trouble and Edey just put them to bed.

We just make open shots and this is a 20 point game when that dude made the 4 point play. Totally different if that 10-0 run happens up 19 or 20 instead of 14. Which is btw the exact thing that happened against Duke.

The shooting has a great stretch until the New Year to get right but again I am not worried about a bad night from the field.

Some days the ball doesn’t go in the basket.

Don’t overthink it.

Boilers missed WIDE open looks from 3 and shot 24% - Loyer was 2-10! and missed 8 FT’s.

Once is an aberration.

Nebraska did what every other team has done -sit on Edey to start the game - but the team shot them out of it by halftime. By that point their Bigs had foul trouble and Edey just put them to bed.

We just make open shots and this is a 20 point game when that dude made the 4 point play. Totally different if that 10-0 run happens up 19 or 20 instead of 14. Which is btw the exact thing that happened against Duke.

The shooting has a great stretch until the New Year to get right but again I am not worried about a bad night from the field.

Well our 4 guards 36% for the season is just ok, the main reason it doesn't bother me that it isn't higher, is our great rebound numbers.

That is when we are allowed to rebound. The pushing & shoving today was a joke

Last edited:
How did they do such a good job on Edey?
Per Painter, "Face box out? Totally illegal. I'd keep doing it if I were them and they dont call it".

Lots of bad calls either way. The Furst charge was negated by a Nebraska charge. Both bad calls. I really don't understand the Braden or Loyer foul when we were inbounding it after that. The Nebraska player blew up the screen.

Edey got hacked and hacked and hacked.

I do think Smith was fouled on the play in question, but the problem was he had already lost the ball. They can't change that call though.
I agree, my point was we’d be complaining on that one as well. No doubt that Nebraska probably benefitted a little more from the refs, that happens in road Big Ten games. Nebraska had plenty of chances to win that game, while they can complain deep down they know they blew that one themselves, Purdue was ripe to get beat today.

We miss Gillis. I am not sure why TKR did not play much in the second half. He seems like the 3rd scoring option behind Edey and Loyer.

Furst and Morton struggled. Would have liked to have seen TKR more too. They went small and Morton was better matchup on D, and did a pretty good job as usual. TKR played well in first half though and the offense needed a boost in 2nd half.

Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT