ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan State (Game Thread)

I said after earlier losses they would temper my expectations. Today should finally do it. The rest of regular season, BTT, and NCAA I plan to be have the Old Forester 1920 out and as Pink Floyd sang be “Comfortably Numb” (although they may have been singing about something other than bourbon).

I said after earlier losses they would temper my expectations. Today should finally do it. The rest of regular season, BTT, and NCAA I plan to be have the Old Forester 1920 out and as Pink Floyd sang be “Comfortably Numb” (although they may have been singing about something other than bourbon).
We are 24-5 and playing for part of BT championship Tues , we can still do big things. Watch Auburn right now, every team has their bad nights.

A Lot? Really? 5 times this season, so what isn't "a lot"? Zero? Do you really expect any team in these times to go undefeated? Maybe you just don't understand what "sport" is?, what "game" means? ...and why good teams sometimes lose.
If we lose like we did against Michigan that's completely different than losing by a last second three pointer. I never said we weren't going to lose. I just said there has to be a reason why Purdue keeps losing like this when we do lose. Glad you are OK with winning the B1G conference year after year. I would like to have more tournament success rather than just getting to the tournament.

It is a shame , we don't win every game. Think how it would make you feel if you were an IU fan?
I know we are going to lose games. It just seems like we lose more games to last second threes than any other team out there. I could go back and see how many times under Painter it has happened. I don't have the time or care to do it.

“All the time” - man, the drama queens come out of the woodwork after a loss…
Meaning when we do lose it's usually by a last second 3. I would full court press and try to make them waste the entire clock just getting it up the floor. My opinion doesn't matter though.

Meaning when we do lose it's usually by a last second 3. I would full court press and try to make them waste the entire clock just getting it up the floor. My opinion doesn't matter though.
Rutgers had 30 secs on shot clock, if they get it over half court in 10 ses , they still have 20 left???

I know we are going to lose games. It just seems like we lose more games to last second threes than any other team out there. I could go back and see how many times under Painter it has happened. I don't have the time or care to do it.
I would say over last 15 years we have lost less than any other team on last second shots.

If we lose like we did against Michigan that's completely different than losing by a last second three pointer. I never said we weren't going to lose. I just said there has to be a reason why Purdue keeps losing like this when we do lose. Glad you are OK with winning the B1G conference year after year. I would like to have more tournament success rather than just getting to the tournament.
We don't win the BIG conference year after year or the BTT. We do win a lot of games and if coaches stay long enough they have big totals.

I watched the replay. It was a foul on Gillis...
I watched the second half again this morning and stopped and rewatched several of the critical plays multiple times. I stand firm regarding the 5th foul call on Gillis. Not only did he NOT foul Hall, but Hall fouled Gillis, and fooled the officals, the announcers, and half the folks in this game thread into thinking it was Gillis fouling him.

Watching frame-by-frame, Gillis starts out in poor rebounding position but as the shot goes up works his way to the side of Hall, coming into contact with Hall's outstretched right arm. As both players are moving toward the rebound, Hall uses that right hand to grab Gillis by his right shoulder and begins to turn Gillis toward him and away from the basket. At that moment and for the next few frames as Gillis's body is being turned, neither of his hands are on Hall. Then, as the ball comes off the rim, Gillis is turned toward Hall with his extended right arm around now across Hall's body with his shoulder still being held. This is the contact that everyone saw, and Robbie even said something to the effect of "I'm not sure what Gillis is doing there". Well, what he was doing was being grabbed and spun around. That is why Gillis was so perplexed by the call.

Last edited:
So you're more encouraged by getting blown out than by losing on a last second 3?

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT