ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Student Jonathan Avalos

LedZep17

True Freshman
Aug 13, 2020
Man, did this pull at me. Really puts things in perspective. My thoughts will heavily be with this fellow Boilermaker and his family during this time and especially the game tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hopefully the basketball team can do for him what the football team did a few years ago.
Tyler was known a good year of so before his death camping outside before games and such. I suspect the basketball team may not even be aware. He is one of too many fighting for their lives at such a young age. Life isn't fair and he and Tyler are good examples

I can't image the pain this family is going through and ask that God is present throughout this young man's entire ordeal and that through God's love would provide comfort as this young man is called home.

It is a reminder to all of us that our time here is limited, a gift from God, that we are to make the most of what has been given to is. Death is a doorway that all will walk through, where it leads depends on your Faith.

Boiler Up!

I can't image the pain this family is going through and ask that God is present throughout this young man's entire ordeal and that through God's love would provide comfort as this young man is called home.

It is a reminder to all of us that our time here is limited, a gift from God, that we are to make the most of what has been given to is. Death is a doorway that all will walk through, where it leads depends on your Faith.

Boiler Up!
I too can't imagine the lost of a child to see and know the beginning of a life and essentially the whole life and then death is very unnatural. We expect to bury our parents, but not our children. We don't know the whole life of our parents and so we can assume they were able to experience much of what life offers, but with a child or someone young we are aware of what they never got to experience and if they have a family the void in so many areas. As a parent you would struggle with why? Why him or her when it is so unlikely he or she would get this would always be in your mind. When you saw his or her friends at various events you are reminded. So many people are forever changed.

Even those that believe in God don't want to say good bye. I have a friend that is a therapist working with troubled children and her son died of a cocaine overdose in Tarkington I believe on Feb 2nd??? 2000. I was quoted in the Exponent on the child and drugs in general (very little written). The family had NO idea as he was a great student and never changed who he ran with or his attitude. The mother (therapist) said to me, "You know all those things we tell other people...they don't help."

A belief in an afterlife may help heal the wound, but the scar remains... :(

Glioblastoma's are a horrible death. I lost my wife to one...a school teacher who had never been seriously ill in her life. She lasted 9 months.

My heart aches for this young man's parents because I know what they're going through. The horrible thing is, if you can surgically remove it, it always comes back.
So sorry. I lost my mother to Glioblastoma and one of my best friends lost his wife.
awful stuff.
Prayers and blessing to him and his family.

Last edited:
Glioblastoma's are a horrible death. I lost my wife to one...a school teacher who had never been seriously ill in her life. She lasted 9 months.

My heart aches for this young man's parents because I know what they're going through. The horrible thing is, if you can surgically remove it, it always comes back.
I'm unaware of any nuances between Glioblastomas or if they exist. I did know a young man that was given a few months or year max that lived for about 10 years and such with the brain tumor, but I understand living that long to be very rare. Sorry about your wife and realize that calendar day is about 2 months old now.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Thoughts and prayers to Jonathan, the Avalos Family and all his extraordinary doctors and caregivers!

ball_crescent_zps21cbd50e.png

I too can't imagine the lost of a child to see and know the beginning of a life and essentially the whole life and then death is very unnatural. We expect to bury our parents, but not our children. We don't know the whole life of our parents and so we can assume they were able to experience much of what life offers, but with a child or someone young we are aware of what they never got to experience and if they have a family the void in so many areas. As a parent you would struggle with why? Why him or her when it is so unlikely he or she would get this would always be in your mind. When you saw his or her friends at various events you are reminded. So many people are forever changed.

Even those that believe in God don't want to say good bye. I have a friend that is a therapist working with troubled children and her son died of a cocaine overdose in Tarkington I believe on Feb 2nd??? 2000. I was quoted in the Exponent on the child and drugs in general (very little written). The family had NO idea as he was a great student and never changed who he ran with or his attitude. The mother (therapist) said to me, "You know all those things we tell other people...they don't help."

A belief in an afterlife may help heal the wound, but the scar remains... :(
TJ, I hope you (and all on this board) NEVER have to experience it either.

I used to post more but this last year has been hard.

My middle son committed suicide, at my house, last year on April 6th, so I sat through the Purdue v NC State game with tears in my eyes for other reasons.

I cannot count the number of games we watched Purdue together through his almost 31 years.

I agree with the mother/therapist (and actually was talking to my therapist about it this morning.)

There is nothing you can say that will help so just be honest and tell the person grieving the truth that you do not know what to say but you are willing to listen any time (and then call back in a week, a month, or six months to see if they are ready to be listened to, don't wait for them to call because they may not be able to make the decision to call.)

p.s., we do like to hear how special our loved one was to others though.

I may be SixPackPete, but one of my six now enjoyed today's eclipse from the other side.

My middle son committed suicide, at my house, last year on April 6th, so I sat through the Purdue v NC State game with tears in my eyes for other reasons.

I cannot count the number of games we watched Purdue together through his almost 31 years.

I agree with the mother/therapist (and actually was talking to my therapist about it this morning.)

There is nothing you can say that will help so just be honest and tell the person grieving the truth that you do not know what to say but you are willing to listen any time (and then call back in a week, a month, or six months to see if they are ready to be listened to, don't wait for them to call because they may not be able to make the decision to call.)

I may be SixPackPete, but one of my six now enjoyed today's eclipse from the other side.
What a great post. Parents, aunts/uncles, friends and grandparents....pay attention to those around you and make known any chance you see. It could save a life.

My heart aches for you.

I know too many that have committed suicide …many over girls. I’m so sorry. God Bless you and your family. I hate hearing this

I wish you and your family comfort and peace in your time of grief, Sixpack. My daughter passed away on Oct 11, 2021 at age 9. Grief can be a very difficult road, especially for your child, and especially when those memories bring you smiles and immense saddness at the same time. Hang in there. Wish I could offer you something more.

I wish you and your family comfort and peace in your time of grief, Sixpack. My daughter passed away on Oct 11, 2021 at age 9. Grief can be a very difficult road, especially for your child, and especially when those memories bring you smiles and immense saddness at the same time. Hang in there. Wish I could offer you something more.
My condolences as well. I just can't begin to understand the pain in burying a child. There are a lot of people fighting battles we never know and cannot imagine. Some battles linger for years and others may be cut abruptly sharp. Those in the battles gain a perspective on life in general that many will never find. It helps shapes a more humanly person, where perspective may be better balanced in dealing with difficulties.

Reactions: rgarlitz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT