ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue picked to win Big Ten

We are starting to see the “brand” doesn’t have that much pull, even if NIL donors can bring $$$ to the table. Rumor is IU had the highest offer to Reibe, but he still went to UConn. Rumors of exact same thing goin to happen with Mullins.
This was exactly my point in our earlier discussion. NIL money can only bring so many recruits to the table.

If you lack any success, culture or development of players. They will find what avenue fits their own agenda and sometimes it's just not about the money. We can only speculate but there are reasons why kids choose other programs vs getting the big pay-day.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
This was exactly my point in our earlier discussion. NIL money can only bring so many recruits to the table.

If you lack any success, culture or development of players. They will find what avenue fits their own agenda and sometimes it's just not about the money. We can only speculate but there are reasons why kids choose other programs vs getting the big pay-day.
Right but the IU fan base insists that their “brand” and NIL will be able to attract the highest of recruits and…it’s not. You can say well look at their transfer portal guys..and yeah money is the number 1 factor that got them to IU—nothing wrong with that since that’s what is todays world with college sports, but to still say the IU brand is thought of highly by recruits and transfers is…something 😂

Reactions: BBG and Poprudy
Right but the IU fan base insists that their “brand” and NIL will be able to attract the highest of recruits and…it’s not. You can say well look at their transfer portal guys..and yeah money is the number 1 factor that got them to IU—nothing wrong with that since that’s what is todays world with college sports, but to still say the IU brand is thought of highly by recruits and transfers is…something 😂
75 offers from 2023-2025 and 5 commits. Only 2 in 2024-2025 out of 60+ offers.
Purdue had 32 offers and 7 commits over that time. (6 in 2024-2025),
Not sure the “lure” is there.

75 offers from 2023-2025 and 5 commits. Only 2 in 2024-2025 out of 60+ offers.
Purdue had 32 offers and 7 commits over that time. (6 in 2024-2025),
Not sure the “lure” is there.
I think Woodson lives by the strategy from a one Michael Scott - “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”

So why not just offer everyone?!! Eventually someone will say yes…right….RIGHT??!?

This is from the IU board.

“Mgbako is a better outside shooter than anyone on Purdue's roster.”

Just thought we all needed a good laugh today.
Ahhh so this is this year’s “X is the better PG than Smith” and “Cupps is going to be better than Smith”.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Similar to woody’s recruiting strategy, the more you times you true, eventually you’ll be right 😂 😂

There's no 'too' there, IMO. IU has a good national brand but it's nowhere near UConn, Kansas, UNC, and Duke at this point.

Painter and Purdue have a great reputation at this point with people who 'know', but are still a tier below IU, MSU, UCLA, etc. in terms of overall 'brand'.
The money IU makes says otherwise. They are still one of the Top 5 brands in college basketball. They just have to finally put it out on the court again for once. Haven't been #1 since Zeller was in town and that was over 10 years ago.

The money IU makes says otherwise. They are still one of the Top 5 brands in college basketball. They just have to finally put it out on the court again for once. Haven't been #1 since Zeller was in town and that was over 10 years ago.
If you look at financials for indiana and Purdue they are comparable. Iu recently has had some boosts from the school foundation.

If you are talking NIL I agree indiana has done well there, how much better than Purdue is unknown. They spend their money differently. Edey probably made more on NIL than anyone at iu this year or last. I think Braden’s doing just fine as well. Let’s put it this way purdue has never lost a player on their roster due to nil.

It is not a top 5 brand, that is laughable. No way are they higher than duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and ucla. I’m sure you can find some homers online that would dispute that but I agree historically they would be in the secondary group of Michigan, Arizona, msu, gonzaga, Cuse, UConn.

I also think you are overstating the value of a “brand”. Cuse, Louisville, and Georgetown have tremendous brands and have been largely irrelevant over last 8-10 years.

If you look at financials for indiana and Purdue they are comparable. Iu recently has had some boosts from the school foundation.

If you are talking NIL I agree indiana has done well there, how much better than Purdue is unknown. They spend their money differently. Edey probably made more on NIL than anyone at iu this year or last. I think Braden’s doing just fine as well. Let’s put it this way purdue has never lost a player on their roster due to nil.

It is not a top 5 brand, that is laughable. No way are they higher than duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and ucla. I’m sure you can find some homers online that would dispute that but I agree historically they would be in the secondary group of Michigan, Arizona, msu, gonzaga, Cuse, UConn.

I also think you are overstating the value of a “brand”. Cuse, Louisville, and Georgetown have tremendous brands and have been largely irrelevant over last 8-10 years.
Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, UConn are the biggest brands of college basketball. Louisville has also brought in the most revenue in college basketball and top profits ever since the Yum! Was built. Indiana was also named the most valuable college basketball program by Forbes just a couple years ago.

"iu a top 5 brand" - LOL, unbelievable what some of these guys think.
Top 5 in the Big 10? MAYBE.............. but probably not with the expansion.
Lame ass little wanna be's.

Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, UConn are the biggest brands of college basketball. Louisville has also brought in the most revenue in college basketball and top profits ever since the Yum! Was built. Indiana was also named the most valuable college basketball program by Forbes just a couple years ago.
You just named 7 teams, and indiana is probably the lowest Brand of those. You’re proving my point that indiana is not a top 5 brand. By verifying everyone I said plus Louisville is above them. Forbes also said Kentucky and Louisville are $20m+ more valuable than indiana now. Is that really true? No one knows how they come up with their numbers. Are they even relevant? No. Case in point is kentuckys coach left to get more money somewhere else and Louisville hasn’t done anything in 10 years and had a meh hire. Let’s be honest woodson was not at the top of indianas list either. I did think crean was a good hire back in the day but their past hires have been underwhelming and deep on the wishlist.

My other point you have not addressed is who gives a crap about brands. It doesn’t win you games, land you elite recruits, bring in top coaches, or get you big matchups or bring in the revenue like football does.

Reactions: BBG
Boom Mic Drop GIF by Holler Studios

You just named 7 teams, and indiana is probably the lowest Brand of those. You’re proving my point that indiana is not a top 5 brand. By verifying everyone I said plus Louisville is above them. Forbes also said Kentucky and Louisville are $20m+ more valuable than indiana now. Is that really true? No one knows how they come up with their numbers. Are they even relevant? No. Case in point is kentuckys coach left to get more money somewhere else and Louisville hasn’t done anything in 10 years and had a meh hire. Let’s be honest woodson was not at the top of indianas list either. I did think crean was a good hire back in the day but their past hires have been underwhelming and deep on the wishlist.

My other point you have not addressed is who gives a crap about brands. It doesn’t win you games, land you elite recruits, bring in top coaches, or get you big matchups or bring in the revenue like football does.
Louisville and Kentucky make crazy money. Duke... No clue. I don't think they put their numbers out. But it's Duke. Kansas is another great. North Carolina obviously and they have the image of their past NBA greats(and the GOAT himself). But Indiana is right up there with them. Does Indiana has the success on the court? Not in the last couple decades but just as a brand itself? Yea. Indiana elite in that. And hopefully that brand can allow Indiana to start winning again in the NIL era.

Silly me. I always thought that big brands win big. I wonder if anyone outside of the IU fan base thinks IU is a "big brand". It certainly doesn't appear to be a consensus among Indiana high school players.
Well not always. I've not claimed Indiana to be successful on the court outside of some select years this century. I'm on the fence about the coming season(ranked them 20th which seems like a fair spot). But the Indiana basketball brand itself? Yea that's as valuable as Kentucky, UNC or Kansas or any of them. The success on the floor just has to be shown and the recruiting will get better.

Well not always. I've not claimed Indiana to be successful on the court outside of some select years this century. I'm on the fence about the coming season(ranked them 20th which seems like a fair spot). But the Indiana basketball brand itself? Yea that's as valuable as Kentucky, UNC or Kansas or any of them. The success on the floor just has to be shown and the recruiting will get better.
So in your mind, brand is defined by how much money alumni contribute to the program? That would be a new definition that I had not heard.

You may be right, but you’d have to show me what media spend or other dollars outside of donors are coming in relative to other top schools. No one is arguing that IU doesn’t have big dollar donors who give generously.

I’d legitimately be interested to understand what other money you’re referring to and what is the data that supports that view. Again, I’m not saying that you’re wrong just that I’m unaware.

Whatever brand Indiana basketball has is decreasing one funeral at a time.

• Haha
Reactions: POTFHBTFU and BBG
IU will not start well, it will take a while for pieces to gel if they do at all. So, I believe they will finish much lower than this media projection. However, if they do gel, they have the talent to make a run in the tourney to the sweet 16. Caveat: Woodys coaching has not shown an ability to gel different pieces and there are many this year.

Louisville and Kentucky make crazy money. Duke... No clue. I don't think they put their numbers out. But it's Duke. Kansas is another great. North Carolina obviously and they have the image of their past NBA greats(and the GOAT himself). But Indiana is right up there with them. Does Indiana has the success on the court? Not in the last couple decades but just as a brand itself? Yea. Indiana elite in that. And hopefully that brand can allow Indiana to start winning again in the NIL era.
You are out of your mind. Indiana is not with them, they are heads a shoulders above them. At this point I think your definition of brand is very different than others. For you it’s legacy and donor financial support and indiana has those and that is really all indiana has over purdue so you choose to throw that around like it means anything. Purdue has the better fan base (Andy Katz), better arena (just about everyone), better coach, better performance on the court, better recruitment of indiana basketball players. These all mean something. Having five dusty banners, John mellencamo, and mark Cuban at a game don’t. Coming here and bragging about brand (your definition) is like yahoo and aol going around on Facebook and Google boards and pounding their chests!

You are out of your mind. Indiana is not with them, they are heads a shoulders above them. At this point I think your definition of brand is very different than others. For you it’s legacy and donor financial support and indiana has those and that is really all indiana has over purdue so you choose to throw that around like it means anything. Purdue has the better fan base (Andy Katz), better arena (just about everyone), better coach, better performance on the court, better recruitment of indiana basketball players. These all mean something. Having five dusty banners, John mellencamo, and mark Cuban at a game don’t. Coming here and bragging about brand (your definition) is like yahoo and aol going around on Facebook and Google boards and pounding their chests!
Yea legacy is a part of brand. Legacy, perception, fan base, alumni base, marketing, profitable etc. That's why Forbes said it was the most valuable program in college basketball.

Yea legacy is a part of brand. Legacy, perception, fan base, alumni base, marketing, profitable etc. That's why Forbes said it was the most valuable program in college basketball.
When most people think of brand they think nationally and that means teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Duke, UK, KU and UK.
Football is way bigger in popularity to basketball for most fans. So one could name five other teams who excel in those areas due to football alone. When you add in the basketball schools IU is lucky to be in the top 10.

In reality, Bob Knight has a brand and IU merely benefited from that and that alone. Sadly for you, those days are long gone and every year they get farther and farther from reality.

Reactions: BBG and POTFHBTFU
When most people think of brand they think nationally and that means teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Duke, UK, KU and UK.
Football is way bigger in popularity to basketball for most fans. So one could name five other teams who excel in those areas due to football alone. When you add in the basketball schools IU is lucky to be in the top 10.

In reality, Bob Knight has a brand and IU merely benefited from that and that alone. Sadly for you, those days are long gone and every year they get farther and farther from reality.
Well we are only talking basketball. Nothing else. But football does indeed reign as king in the US. And it isn't even a close conversation. It's easy to find Ohio State and Michigan stuff across the country because of it. Was just in South Carolina. Seen some IU hats one store and that was it. Just how it is.

Well we are only talking basketball. Nothing else. But football does indeed reign as king in the US. And it isn't even a close conversation. It's easy to find Ohio State and Michigan stuff across the country because of it. Was just in South Carolina. Seen some IU hats one store and that was it. Just how it is.
I was thinking about this watching IU football today. They are truly fun to watch. But I expect a school with a football brand will come calling for a head coach at the end of the season. Several blue bloods aren't performing to expectations. Some are in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT