ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue offers 2025 four-star guard Braylon Mullins

For 2025 we are at 0 because we are -1 this year and with Furst graduating, we go to 0
Looking back at us trying to figure out how many scholarships were available for this season and next is a great example of how as fans we really have no idea wtf is going on.

It's fun to speculate but we only have a tiny fraction of the information that the coaching staff has and they're operating at a level that most of us will never approach in any area of our lives.

It's a good reminder to not take ourselves and our opinions too seriously. Carry on ;)

Looking back at us trying to figure out how many scholarships were available for this season and next is a great example of how as fans we really have no idea wtf is going on.

It's fun to speculate but we only have a tiny fraction of the information that the coaching staff has and they're operating at a level that most of us will never approach in any area of our lives.

It's a good reminder to not take ourselves and our opinions too seriously. Carry on ;)
All of us except…well nvm haha

Nice post for the most part. I think the last paragraph could have left off the insinuation that Mullins doesn’t care about the success of the program as it’s a bit far fetched. Purdue has the official visit to further make a great impression on him. Hopefully he’ll get some bonding time with the team and see a good football game. I thought it was interesting in an interview with Brian N I believe where he mentioned that Carsen Edwards was mentioned to him when discussing how he’d fit in and possible usage. He’s also mentioned how he knows and plans to work as hard as possible to earn his spot and improve which also aligns with Purdue. With the offers still coming I wonder if he’ll still keep his commitment timeline or if it gets delayed a bit? It’d be nice if he could attend a game at Mackey before he decides as he has never experienced that and that he’d like to. Time will tell…
My point was simply when you look at the records of the teams on his short list, they are all top 10 teams, with great coaches, so it doesn’t really matter what their record is. Each one of those programs is a successful program. I doubt anybody here knows exactly what Duke or Kansas’ actual record was last year. How many Purdue fans can you find off the street that could tell you exactly how many games Purdue won last year?

That’s why I said the records don’t really matter to him. All of the schools are elite programs. And when your school already has a reputation as an elite or blue blood program, actual records are usually not what a person cares about.

It’s only when a team is a lesser team that they feel the need to brag about their record. Look at Alabama or Michigan football. They don’t need to brag about their records. But you can sure bet if Purdue football had a winning record, or won a minor bowl game, they would sure brag about it.

And so it is with the schools Mullins is considering. They are all elite programs. That’s why I highly doubt that their records are really a huge concern or factor in his decision.

That is why I said their records are meaningless.

My point was simply when you look at the records of the teams on his short list, they are all top 10 teams, with great coaches, so it doesn’t really matter what their record is. Each one of those programs is a successful program. I doubt anybody here knows exactly what Duke or Kansas’ actual record was last year. How many Purdue fans can you find off the street that could tell you exactly how many games Purdue won last year?

That’s why I said the records don’t really matter to him. All of the schools are elite programs. And when your school already has a reputation as an elite or blue blood program, actual records are usually not what a person cares about.

It’s only when a team is a lesser team that they feel the need to brag about their record. Look at Alabama or Michigan football. They don’t need to brag about their records. But you can sure bet if Purdue football had a winning record, or won a minor bowl game, they would sure brag about it.

And so it is with the schools Mullins is considering. They are all elite programs. That’s why I highly doubt that their records are really a huge concern or factor in his decision.

Whew. But you didn't say that. You said he doesn't care about the success of the programs he's considering. You did not mention records. Now you are saying he only cares about the success of the program and not their records, which is probly correct. Your previous post was simply poorly written with a poor/confusing choice of words. But thanks for the correction.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I am sure CMP will get a great player.

I just hope if it's not Mullins, Mullins doesn't pull a Kyle Guy on us and shoot us out of a FF or NC.....like Guy did.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I know you hate Purdue football, but Michigan ABSOLUTELY would brag about their record

Yeah ... I don't walk into my Mackey office around 5 am, check twitter and email and spend my whole day on the phone with recruits and coaches ... meetings with my fellow coaches ... do dah day.

Yeah ... I don't walk into my Mackey office around 5 am, check twitter and email and spend my whole day on the phone with recruits and coaches ... meetings with my fellow coaches ... do dah day.
Yeah who does that?!
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

When was Guy ever a lock here? Weren't we in too with Grady Dick?

I think we made/make the final list for the 3 you named.

But I remember Guy shooting us down with imo, the illegal picks that were set for him in H2 vs VA. Hope I don't watch that again with Mullins if he goes elsewhere.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Please don’t forget to take your meds. You pretty much got a backhanded compliment and instead of going with it you walked back what you said without saying it.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I know you hate Purdue football, but Michigan ABSOLUTELY would brag about their record
I highly doubt it. They may brag about their championships. But when you win championships, you no longer brag about your actual record or standings!

It’s like being a Packers fan. Only fools brag about their regular season records. All that really matters is championships.

Something I believe you are confusing is coaches doing recruiting and fans in bars! Coaches don’t have to brag. They just show trophies and if you are an intelligent recruit, you already know how great that school is! The coach doesn’t need to brag. What the coach needs to do is show the recruit how he fits in to the program and the team and how he is going to be used. If you are a smart and talented recruit you already know how good the program is. You don’t need some coach bragging about the program.

Bragging is something fans at bars do and posters on internet do.

Ask yourself if you are an elite athlete. And you’re making a decision between Duke and Purdue and Indiana. Don’t you already how good those schools’ records are. Does their record really matter?

Or if you are an elite athlete , doesn’t it make more sense that you are more interested in how you fit in the team and what your role will be than what that team’s record is?

Again, I’m not talking about 2 and 3 star athletes. And I’m also not comparing Purdue to the University of North Dakota. In my opinion, if you are a top 50 athlete and you are considering the best schools, it doesn’t really matter what their records are because they are all the same. What matters most to the athlete is how they will fit in.

If you are Mullins with the offers he has. Do you really think the records of the 5 teams he is considering really matters? really? Yup, Purdue won 2 more games! Do you really feel that is a factor? I don’t.

I highly doubt it. They may brag about their championships. But when you win championships, you no longer brag about your actual record or standings!

It’s like being a Packers fan. Only fools brag about their regular season records. All that really matters is championships.

Something I believe you are confusing is coaches doing recruiting and fans in bars! Coaches don’t have to brag. They just show trophies and if you are an intelligent recruit, you already know how great that school is! The coach doesn’t need to brag. What the coach needs to do is show the recruit how he fits in to the program and the team and how he is going to be used. If you are a smart and talented recruit you already know how good the program is. You don’t need some coach bragging about the program.

Ask yourself if you are an elite athlete. And you’re making a decision between Duke and Purdue and Indiana. Don’t you already how good those schools’ records are. Does their record really matter?

Or if you are an elite athlete , doesn’t it make more sense that you are more interested in how you fit in the team and what your role will be than what that team’s record is?

Again, I’m not talking about 2 and 3 star athletes. And I’m also not comparing Purdue to the University of North Dakota. In my opinion, if you are a top 50 athlete and you are considering the best schools, it doesn’t really matter what their records are because they are all the same. What matters most to the athlete is how they will fit in.

If you are Mullins with the offers he has. Do you really think the records of the 5 teams he is considering really matters? really? Yup, Purdue won 2 more games! Do you really feel that is a factor? I don’t.
And you still have yet to tell us why he doesn’t fit in…but please don’t say he wants to play x position because Purdue doesn’t let that position play x position….similar to what you said of Sisley which was proven to be false.

Reactions: z_one

You clearly don't know any Michigan fans. They will brag about anything.

You clearly don't know any Michigan fans. They will brag about anything.
A Russian walks into a bar and sits down next to an American. The guy next to the Russian turns and says, "I was wondering is there a word in Russian for a conceited a-hole?"

The Russian replies, "Da."

The American continues, "Well, is there a word for two conceited a-holes?"

The Russian, "Da. Da."

The American presses further, "What about thousands of conceited a-holes?"

The Russian pauses and then in the tune of Hail the Victors, "Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da, Da....."

(Joke works better in person, but please share with your Michigan friends)

This might be meaningless observation, but his presentation looks intentionally organized with alternating Big Ten and SEC on the top and the Indiana schools on the flanks and the bluebloods on the bottom with the two time national champ in the middle.
Interesting observation… now decipher the meaning … 🤔🧐😁

Yeah he’s part of the at group or board…he def knew something last year and that’s why he didn’t care if he was “over signed”
I brought that up a couple times but was roundly criticized or told that paint would not know those kind of things if others weren’t aware. Well maybe he did, he’s fairly well connected and in tune to what is going on I believe.

PS Holy shit did I just sound like Wole for a second?😱

I brought that up a couple times but was roundly criticized or told that paint would not know those kind of things if others weren’t aware. Well maybe he did, he’s fairly well connected and in tune to what is going on I believe.

PS Holy shit did I just sound like Wole for a second?😱
Yes, and I agreed with you but was also told that there was no way he knew more than other coaches. Oh well, looks like he did.

on a side note…Baseball getting that many scholarships is great for them…always thought having to split so little of scholarships between so many players didn’t make sense. What I don’t get is why football got an additional 20 🧐

Reactions: BoilerAndy
This could really hurt non Power 6 schools
It could also increase the number of transfers out of the power schools as it will only make playing time that much harder to earn. Players used to wait their time in the old days when there was 15 scholarships, but transferring is so easy now, a lot of players are not going to stay that patient.

Reactions: Schnelk
I thought these were scholarship AND roster limits. So you can have 15 guys, all on scholarship but no more walk ons on the roster over the 15 cap.

Could be misunderstanding it though.

It could also increase the number of transfers out of the power schools as it will only make playing time that much harder to earn. Players used to wait their time in the old days when there was 15 scholarships, but transferring is so easy now, a lot of players are not going to stay that patient.
You make a good point and I'd imagine that both will happen. Given that all D1 basketball schools have the same scholarship limits, I'd guess that the immediate impact is that more high-quality players migrate from low and mid-major to high-major rosters, but as you pointed out, after a couple of years that starts to even itself out as players don't find playing time and transfer out.

That seems likely to also manifest itself at the FCS level in football, where I haven't seen anything indicating that the 65 scholarship limit is changing with FBS moving from 85 to 105 (I may have missed it). I know that some kids choose high level FCS schools over low level FBS offers, but it seems that FBS having an additional 2,500 plus full ride scholarships will have a material impact.

I thought these were scholarship AND roster limits. So you can have 15 guys, all on scholarship but no more walk ons on the roster over the 15 cap.

Could be misunderstanding it though.
I came across this. So if correct you could give partial scholarships up to the total of 15 which would create more roster spots evidently. Just one source so 🤷🏼‍♂️

“Of note, all sports will be “equivalency” sports under the new format, which means that partial scholarships are now an option for coaches in football and basketball. Those previously were “head count” sports, meaning that if a player was on scholarship, he or she had to be on a full scholarship.

That creates some perhaps unnecessary roster flexibility—I don’t know what point or value there’d be to partial scholarships in hoops, for instance, unless you wanted to maintain a couple spots for walk-ons and reward them with a partial ride, say.”

Reactions: northside100
Many transfers are due to getting “creaned.” So this may reduce that as coaches may be willing to let scholarship players stay and essentally Take the 86-105 spots as they still likely would be better than a typical walk-on.

But agree the transfers that want playing time will not like being buried. On this case it’s probably better for the lesser schools as guys who commit to the blue bloods get buried and work their way down.

Biggest benefitters are the upperclassmen who won’t be likely to end up on no teams. That’s my takeaway at least.

Didn’t want to look for the thread but lot of smoke out there that IU is going to land Haralson. Not sure how much validity there is to it but will be curious to see if any of our recent offers and approach has changed because we are out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT