ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue NIL Update

boiler1987

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
How can this be? I was told Purdue fans were doing nothing and would never create a collective. Surely members on this board were not making baseless claims!

Reactions: pboiler18
It will be interesting to see if this is what Alumni chose to give their money to instead of JPC. If this happens, Purdue might be forced to use all of their B1G TV money for keeping the programs outside of Men's Basketball and football afloat.

Sounds like a headache for the athletic department to manage, but better late than never if Purdue wants to be competitive.

How can this be? I was told Purdue fans were doing nothing and would never create a collective. Surely members on this board were not making baseless claims!
Purdue will get the bulk of its players from Indiana and the Midwest. Purdue doesn’t have to be the best in the country, but be able to compete for in-state kids and surrounding states.

I like that we’ve made some serious progress here. The Pack situation sucked, but maybe it’s what we needed.

I saw the creation of the collective. I also saw them begging fans for money to support them. I haven't seen any mega contributions being made to their collective, or any business bragging and saying it's going to donate any real 8 figure amount of money.

and yes as somebody else pointed out, I suspect a lot of the donations made will be small and at the expense of donating to the john Purdue Club. What good will a collective be if the money raised will be at the expense of the JPC ? i highly doubt people/fans will give to both. what's the real difference in a NIL collective verses the JPC?

I have very serious doubts any purdue athlete will receive anywhere close to what Pack received.

Last edited:
I saw the creation of the collective. I also saw them begging fans for money to support them. I haven't seen any mega contributions being made to their collective, or any business bragging and saying it's going to donate any real 8 figure amount of money.

and yes as somebody else pointed out, I suspect a lot of the donations made will be small and at the expense of donating to the john Purdue Club. What good will a collective be if the money raised will be at the expense of the JPC ? i highly doubt people/fans will give to both. what's the real difference in a NIL collective verses the JPC?

I have very serious doubts any purdue athlete will receive anywhere close to what Pack received.

Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. Not every situation will be like Carlos Ruiz with the Miami stuff.

Why do you think these could be at the expense of JPC donations? How would it be different here versus any other B1G school sending money to their athletic department versus NIL. We’re not unique in that regard.

@Victorbmyboy why are your brethren getting so worked up re IU versus Purdue re media rights? Seems like @arcb102000 made some solid points but others felt differently. If we’re being honest, neither IU nor Purdue have anything to worry about re getting booted out of the league.
I don’t know. It was over a comment joke at first that blew up. Neither side will concede. I will tell you that at some point we might have to worry. Hopefully the money will be good enough to build 2 solid programs But there always has to be the haves and the have nots.

I don’t know. It was over a comment joke at first that blew up. Neither side will concede. I will tell you that at some point we might have to worry. Hopefully the money will be good enough to build 2 solid programs But there always has to be the haves and the have nots.
I tweaked my post lol. But that makes sense.

fair enough lol. Hope the fam is doing well.
They mostly are. MRI being scheduled today. Her neurosurgeon retired so we are being transferred. Sucks too because he’s a good one. Dr. Shapiro. He was lance Armstrong NS too. So we will see soon if it’s growing or on watch and wait. Son is ready for football. Daughter is still doing the horse lesson stuff. Normal as possible. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: DAG10
They mostly are. MRI being scheduled today. Her neurosurgeon retired so we are being transferred. Sucks too because he’s a good one. Dr. Shapiro. He was lance Armstrong NS too. So we will see soon if it’s growing or on watch and wait. Son is ready for football. Daughter is still doing the horse lesson stuff. Normal as possible. Thanks for asking.

Rivalries always seem silly when you factor in stuff like this. Sending all my best vibes your way.

Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. Not every situation will be like Carlos Ruiz with the Miami stuff.

Why do you think these could be at the expense of JPC donations? How would it be different here versus any other B1G school sending money to their athletic department versus NIL. We’re not unique in that regard.
Agreed. I blocked Wolebig (and for everyone’s mental health sake would recommend the same) so don’t see what he wrote but I see this as a minimal impact to JPC. The JPC is similar to a rewards program for most participants…. If you want good seats and benefits you need to join. Most people I knew in it would just donate to purdues academics if it weren’t for the benefits you get with JPC. I think collective donors will mostly be people who have the discretionary funds to pay it and people who see it for what it is… a formerly non conforming way to recruit better talent.

Reactions: TX4GB
Silly can be fun. I like rivalry just not personal attacks. Appreciate the vibes. Here’s to some great games in the new B1G.

Amen! Oh and that courtsense guy is a moron lol. Nothing better than seeing him make up attendance figures that are always way off. Like he claims Purdue fans don’t show up outside of WL but when we give examples (like when we played UVA in Louisville and the place was probably 85% Purdue fans), he just ignores it. That guy is delusional to say the least.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Amen! Oh and that courtsense guy is a moron lol. Nothing better than seeing him make up attendance figures that are always way off. Like he claims Purdue fans don’t show up outside of WL but when we give examples (like when we played UVA in Louisville and the place was probably 85% Purdue fans), he just ignores it. That guy is delusional to say the least.
Yeah but you have to admit they don’t travel to Indy for some reason. Like the crossroads. It’s strange. I think at the end of the day it’s alumni size/base.

Yeah but you have to admit they don’t travel to Indy for some reason. Like the crossroads. It’s strange. I think at the end of the day it’s alumni size/base.
I think the Indy thing is overblown honestly. Crossroads yea IU has the majority of fans but plenty of Purdue fans still show up. When we played Louisville in football when Brohm got here we had a really good turnout. Our alumni base is top 10 in the country but if I had to guess (without having any proof), I’d guess more Purdue grads leave the state than IU grads mainly due to the differences in degrees both schools offer.

Message translation to the NCAA.....

266b3b00-25a2-41f0-8650-0f4240564f5b_text.gif

Alumni bases are so large for both it is irrelevant, IMO. The difference is Bobby Knight.

Purdue doesn't really have fans outside of the alumni base due to their lack of championships. Indinia does because of Bobby Knight.

Alumni bases are so large for both it is irrelevant, IMO. The difference is Bobby Knight.

Purdue doesn't really have fans outside of the alumni base due to their lack of championships. Indinia does because of Bobby Knight.
But why is it so lopsided? I’m not trying to start anything (unlike the Indinia thing).

I think it has to do with timing, ticket cost and availability.

I used to go to the Wooden regularly, but never made it to Crossroads because I was busy with kids during it's time span. But when I looked, usually good tickets where gone and I wasn't pay that much for nose bleed seats when I can get a much better view at home.

But why is it so lopsided? I’m not trying to start anything (unlike the Indinia thing).

Cry all you want but I didn't make the jersey...

Anyway, I think it's just the sustained excellence of the men's basketball program for what, almost 20 years? The championship in 76 or whenever thru the FF in 93 or maybe 94 was about as good a stretch as any non UCLA program. Easy to get fans not affiliated with the university doing that. Also I think having the state as the school name helps a little with branding/recognition.

If there was something similar in Michigan with MSU and UM I would guess on the majority being UM fans.

I think it has to do with timing, ticket cost and availability.

I used to go to the Wooden regularly, but never made it to Crossroads because I was busy with kids during it's time span. But when I looked, usually good tickets where gone and I wasn't pay that much for nose bleed seats when I can get a much better view at home.
Cry all you want but I didn't make the jersey...

Anyway, I think it's just the sustained excellence of the men's basketball program for what, almost 20 years? The championship in 76 or whenever thru the FF in 93 or maybe 94 was about as good a stretch as any non UCLA program. Easy to get fans not affiliated with the university doing that. Also I think having the state as the school name helps a little with branding/recognition.

If there was something similar in Michigan with MSU and UM I would guess on the majority being UM fans.
I only ask because I truly don’t know because the base is similar size. I am looking at going to Vegas for the Arizona vs IU game for instance. If Purdue did that would people travel?

Sounds like we should start hearing about deals pretty soon. Sounds like the Pack situation was a pretty big wake-up call. Definitely expect us to be competitive moving forward.

I am a bit more skeptical...in part for the need for the wake-up call (that, stands to have cost them dearly), and, in that Purdue...to thrive, opposed to merely survive, needs to be more than "competitive" with respect to the matter.

It will be interesting (not even sure if that is the right word) how it plays out and what ultimately happens.

It will be interesting to see if this is what Alumni chose to give their money to instead of JPC. If this happens, Purdue might be forced to use all of their B1G TV money for keeping the programs outside of Men's Basketball and football afloat.

Sounds like a headache for the athletic department to manage, but better late than never if Purdue wants to be competitive.
Like you, I have to think JPC will be impacted, and, potentially (if not likely) significantly. Those budgets for other sports just grew as well with the addition of two programs from California.

Reactions: Wolegib
I only ask because I truly don’t know because the base is similar size. I am looking at going to Vegas for the Arizona vs IU game for instance. If Purdue did that would people travel?

Yeah they usually do a decent job of showing up to events like that.

Not sure if the S16/E8 in 2019 quite counts as a relevant example but Purdue was probably 45% of the s16 game against Tennessee who took up another 45% with the rest UVA/Oregon and then the E8 game was 90% Purdue fans.

Yeah they usually do a decent job of showing up to events like that.

Not sure if the S16/E8 in 2019 quite counts as a relevant example but Purdue was probably 45% of the s16 game against Tennessee who took up another 45% with the rest UVA/Oregon and then the E8 game was 90% Purdue fans.
They all count.

Reactions: Hausta01
Like you, I have to think JPC will be impacted, and, potentially (if not likely) significantly. Those budgets for other sports just grew as well with the addition of two programs from California.
With the BTN money more than doubling next year, the JPC shouldn’t even be needed.

Agreed. I blocked Wolebig (and for everyone’s mental health sake would recommend the same) so don’t see what he wrote but I see this as a minimal impact to JPC. The JPC is similar to a rewards program for most participants…. If you want good seats and benefits you need to join. Most people I knew in it would just donate to purdues academics if it weren’t for the benefits you get with JPC. I think collective donors will mostly be people who have the discretionary funds to pay it and people who see it for what it is… a formerly non conforming way to recruit better talent.
you are hilarious. you block my posts, but then reply to them. Ironically it appears the only person disagreeing with my post is the person who has blocked me and supposedly can't read it. But that doesn't prevent him from bragging to the world he has blocked me and totally disagrees with anything and everything I say. let's humor him.

another poster (before my post) posed the question that people now would have a choice of where to give their money - to the JPC or this new collective. he stated, people may give to one at the expense of the other. and i agreed, that's a possibility that people might only give to one at the expense of the other, and not give to both. isn't the JPC a seperate, private entity?

We're talking Lafayette, IN. From a business perspective, the NIL is not about giving athletes $millions of money, even though several have received that much. . But rather to pay athletes to help market their product/company. This is not LA or Miami. I don't believe the big companies of Lafayette , IN are going to give a lot of money to a NIL collective when compared to what a corporation or private business in a major city would donate. I agree, people will donate, but not close to the amounts you are seeing being disclosed on the internet/media.

I also believe 90+% of other universities are in the same position Purdue is in. I can't see Iowa or Illinois or Indiana or mich St having a greater NIL than purdue. Will Shelly Long and Louis Dreyfort be huge conributers towards the northwestern NIL? I doubt it.

admittedly it's my opinion. I just don't see purdue alumni and Lafayette IN businesses giving out the same amount of money that other schools iin bigger communities do. I now live in lebanon, OH - the home town of Neil Armstrong. he gives his money to the local YMCA . that's a place he helped design, and create. is he going to turn his financial attention to Purdue ? or will he continue to suppot his local community?

I asked the obvious question 2 months ago and received no reply. I have to believe this site has the most passionate Purdue fans. the question i asked was how many of you have donated any money to a NIL, and how many of you plan to do so . I followed that question up with how many of you plan to donate over $1000 to a NIL ? and nobody replied. to me, that says you are passionate fans, but no way in france are you going to give up the type of money that people in LA give.

is Carsen Edwards or ivey going to chip in $2 million to our NIL collective? is painter or brohm? the local TV station? BOB Rohrman's son? I don't think so.

it was ano brainer for Pack. he took the money. there was no guarantee playing at purdue that he'd get drafted. So he took the money. if somebody associated with purdue offered him money, he probably would have chosen Purdue. he was smart. he accepted the money.

I share my opinions. I make predictions. I also do research. I think it's awesome purdue now has a NIL collective, and they created a job for somebody to manage it. BUT i have to ask the question, where is the money going to come from? I can see alumni contributing, but not the type of money that's being talked about. you might see a couple of players getting a Camry, or a rent free apartment. But i can't see the type of deals being given out that you are seeing being talked about. I'll ask again, where's this money coming from? popcorn sales?

Last edited:
Yes, Purdue fans travel to all ends of the earth to support the teams. Sometimes, I'm amazed at how many can actually show up.

As to the Crossroads Classic, I know of a bunch of people that simply don't want to be around that many IU fans. Sometimes it's fun but most of the time, unfortunately, it hasn't been. That goes for football in Bloomington as well. Some folks I know have a great time most of the time but my experience has been hit and miss.

Reactions: Schnelk
Absolutely. Purdue travels well whether it’s pre-conference tournaments in basketball like Maui, bowl games, etc… we had a good showing for our bowl game against Tennessee but it was still overwhelming UT fans which makes sense since the game was in Nashville lol.

you are hilarious. you block my posts, but then reply to them. Ironically it appears the only person disagreeing with my post is the person who has blocked me and supposedly can't read it. But that doesn't prevent him from bragging to the world he has blocked me and totally disagrees with anything and everything I say. let's humor him.

another poster (before my post) posed the question that people now would have a choice of where to give their money - to the JPC or this new collective. he stated, people may give to one at the expense of the other. and i agreed, that's a possibility that people might only give to one at the expense of the other, and not give to both. isn't the JPC a seperate, private entity?

We're talking Lafayette, IN. From a business perspective, the NIL is not about giving athletes $millions of money, even though several have received that much. . But rather to pay athletes to help market their product/company. This is not LA or Miami. I don't believe the big companies of Lafayette , IN are going to give a lot of money to a NIL collective when compared to what a corporation or private business in a major city would donate. I agree, people will donate, but not close to the amounts you are seeing being disclosed on the internet/media.

I also believe 90+% of other universities are in the same position Purdue is in. I can't see Iowa or Illinois or Indiana or mich St having a greater NIL than purdue. Will Shelly Long and Louis Dreyfort be huge conributers towards the northwestern NIL? I doubt it.

admittedly it's my opinion. I just don't see purdue alumni and Lafayette IN businesses giving out the same amount of money that other schools iin bigger communities do. I now live in lebanon, OH - the home town of Neil Armstrong. he gives his money to the local YMCA . that's a place he helped design, and create. is he going to turn his financial attention to Purdue ? or will he continue to suppot his local community?

I asked the obvious question 2 months ago and received no reply. I have to believe this site has the most passionate Purdue fans. the question i asked was how many of you have donated any money to a NIL, and how many of you plan to do so . I followed that question up with how many of you plan to donate over $1000 to a NIL ? and nobody replied. to me, that says you are passionate fans, but no way in france are you going to give up the type of money that people in LA give.

is Carsen Edwards or ivey going to chip in $2 million to our NIL collective? is painter or brohm? the local TV station? BOB Rohrman's son? I don't think so.

it was ano brainer for Pack. he took the money. there was no guarantee playing at purdue that he'd get drafted. So he took the money. if somebody associated with purdue offered him money, he probably would have chosen Purdue. he was smart. he accepted the money.

I share my opinions. I make predictions. I also do research. I think it's awesome purdue now has a NIL collective, and they created a job for somebody to manage it. BUT i have to ask the question, where is the money going to come from? I can see alumni contributing, but not the type of money that's being talked about. you might see a couple of players getting a Camry, or a rent free apartment. But i can't see the type of deals being given out that you are seeing being talked about. I'll ask again, where's this money coming from? popcorn sales?
You overlook the fact Purdue has been dominating football and basketball recruiting in the state, with emphasis on Indianapolis. There is lots of opportunity in Indy. Reportedly Sasha hustled his way to about $100K and that was without there even being a Purdue collective. There are lots of big dollar donors with Purdue ties. They like winning, but have never had the opportunity to legally help our teams. You sell Purdue way short.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You overlook the fact Purdue has been dominating football and basketball recruiting in the state, with emphasis on Indianapolis. There is lots of opportunity in Indy. Reportedly Sasha hustled his way to about $100K and that was without there even being a Purdue collective. There are lots of big dollar donors with Purdue ties. They like winning, but have never had the opportunity to legally help our teams. You sell Purdue way short.
I haven’t seen any numbers reported on Sasha and would be shocked if he came close to 50k let alone 100k. We also haven’t had a basketball recruit since NIL became a real thing.

I haven’t seen any numbers reported on Sasha and would be shocked if he came close to 50k let alone 100k. We also haven’t had a basketball recruit since NIL became a real thing.
The number came from a source that is pretty close to the situation. Even if it was only $50K it was still impressive since he did it pretty much on his own.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT