ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue/Nebraska

Russ Ford

True Freshman
Mar 24, 2018
25-25 at the half. Our defense has been stellar. Markowski has been neutralized so far. But as usual....our unforced turnovers are killing us.

Reactions: DocRon
32-31 Nebraska 4:30 in the 3rd. Markowski starting to get going. Mary Ashley has 3 fouls. But hanging in there. We are really battling on the boards.

40-37 Nebraska heading to the 4th. Still hanging in there. They can win this if some shots start falling and they stop giving the ball away. Lol.

32-31 Nebraska 4:30 in the 3rd. Markowski starting to get going. Mary Ashley has 3 fouls. But hanging in there. We are really battling on the boards.
Terry’s 3 quarter heave went in and out, Swanson with the Big 3 to make it a 40-37 game heading into the 4th. Whoever breaks 60 wins?

Swanson has a sweet touch, if she stays healthy she’s going to be really good! Nice dish by Terry moments after she goes out of control and turns it over. I like the 3 Freahman, nice little nucleus to build around!

56-43 Nebraska 4 min left, seasons winding down, good effort just not enough scorers on this team, 2 Sr’s with a combined 9 years of playing have 7 points between them, got to score to win.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Swanson still battling and firing away. I think she has 22. 61-51 Nebraska. 1 minute left

Swanson still battling and firing away. I think she has 22
Her and Stevenson are battling, Ellis as well. In my opinion Purdue with a few additions won’t be bad next year, hopefully, Reynolds at the point can score, any scouting report on her Russ?

Her and Stevenson are battling, Ellis as well. In my opinion Purdue with a few additions won’t be bad next year, hopefully, Reynolds at the point can score, any scouting report on her Russ?
Coach Gearlds and Tim Newton have hinted that she is the best player on the team right now. I've never seen her play but I'm excited to see her.

Final 64-56 Nebraska. We really battled but just lost it there in the 4th. Sophie Swanson.....wow.....heck of a shooting performance. Too bad the rest of the team was cold as ice from three.

A couple weeks ago on her show Coach Gearlds said they really only want to use the portal sparingly.....mostly recruit high school players. Kind of following the Painter blueprint. But Mike Carmin reported a few days ago that Purdue will be active in the portal. So it will be interesting to see what they do.

I would like to see them target a post and maybe a scorer.

A couple weeks ago on her show Coach Gearlds said they really only want to use the portal sparingly.....mostly recruit high school players. Kind of following the Painter blueprint. But Mike Carmin reported a few days ago that Purdue will be active in the portal. So it will be interesting to see what they do.

I would like to see them target a post and maybe a scorer.
Not sure we need 6 posts on the roster, but it will likely be a weakness next year. But living through the struggle would make Puryear and McCarthy better down the road. We are going to really struggle next year either way IMO.

Not sure we need 6 posts on the roster, but it will likely be a weakness next year. But living through the struggle would make Puryear and McCarthy better down the road. We are going to really struggle next year either way IMO.
Well surprise, surprise.....Michael thinks we will suck next year. Lol.

I just read a new Mike Carmin article. He seems to think this season might not be over yet. He thinks these other tournaments are going to have trouble filling their fields and Purdue may still get a chance. I'm pretty sure Coach Gearlds will want to play if they get the chance.

Reactions: DrEss and DocRon
Well surprise, surprise.....Michael thinks we will suck next year. Lol.

I just read a new Mike Carmin article. He seems to think this season might not be over yet. He thinks these other tournaments are going to have trouble filling their fields and Purdue may still get a chance. I'm pretty sure Coach Gearlds will want to play if they get the chance.
We are likely going to have a team that has its 6 best players all underclassmen, they are likely to take their lumps Tanisha into the college game, but in two and three years, they could start making noise in the conference.

We are likely going to have a team that has its 6 best players all underclassmen, they are likely to take their lumps Tanisha into the college game, but in two and three years, they could start making noise in the conference.
We'll have to disagree on this one too Michael. I'm expecting to win next year. Anything less than going back to the Dance will be very disappointing.

My guess is they’ll be a player maybe 2 leave, pretty easy to figure out a transfer if there is any, every team usually has them, guessing the Purdue women will be no different. They’ll likely bring in two
Portal transfers, for sure a big and my guess would be a scorer as well if possible. Hopefully, with Terry gone the offense changes, the pounding the ball on the dribble 15-20 seconds than dishing to someone on the perimeter was annoying, not to mention the moronic passes that I saw time after time in the limited games I watched. I for one and really happy that the team will have a new look, enough is enough.

My guess is they’ll be a player maybe 2 leave, pretty easy to figure out a transfer if there is any, every team usually has them, guessing the Purdue women will be no different. They’ll likely bring in two
Portal transfers, for sure a big and my guess would be a scorer as well if possible. Hopefully, with Terry gone the offense changes, the pounding the ball on the dribble 15-20 seconds than dishing to someone on the perimeter was annoying, not to mention the moronic passes that I saw time after time in the limited games I watched. I for one and really happy that the team will have a new look, enough is enough.
The dribbling on the perimeter is the offensive scheme, not just Terry, and we've seen it for 15+ years. Still don't think we have much or offer to someone great in the portal, at best we take another flyer on players from really low d1 programs and hope their success transfers up like Ellis and C. Harper.

Yeah I'm with you on a player or two transferring out. As Russ mentioned above, Purdue will be active in the portal per Mike Carmin. Carmin mentioned an experienced post and a "downhill scorer". 2 sounds like a good number, even if no one wants to transfer.. they'll just be recruited over. Gearlds won't settle for another year like this one. I can't speak too much on the offensive style but it will be nice to see a talented player like Amiyah running the team next season.

Yeah I'm with you on a player or two transferring out. As Russ mentioned above, Purdue will be active in the portal per Mike Carmin. Carmin mentioned an experienced post and a "downhill scorer". 2 sounds like a good number, even if no one wants to transfer.. they'll just be recruited over. Gearlds won't settle for another year like this one. I can't speak too much on the offensive style but it will be nice to see a talented player like Amiyah running the team next season.
It’s time for something new, offense starts with the point guard, time for one that offers up something different, this offense drove me crazy. Yesterday drove me nuts, with Harper out the 5th year PG needed to drive a little, instead it was the same old pound the ball and pass to a wing, Swanson did hit quite a few, others didn’t. Reynolds scored a lot in High School, let’s hope she brings that option here next year, it will be nice to at least see a change, this was brutal to watch.

The dribbling on the perimeter is the offensive scheme, not just Terry, and we've seen it for 15+ years. Still don't think we have much or offer to someone great in the portal, at best we take another flyer on players from really low d1 programs and hope their success transfers up like Ellis and C. Harper.
Michael, I’m not blaming it on Terry really, she would have been better as a 3 if she could only shoot a little, she did have some good parts of her game, in my opinion it just wasn’t as a PG. Next year Coach is on the hot seat a little, this offense was brutal, not sure what the scheme was supposed to be besides running down the shot clock launching outside jumpers or in many cases push shots. You’ve talked about pick and pop before, I would like to see that, also would like to see a PG that drives to the hoop looking to score, one that doesn’t shoot like a 6th grader, I’m sorry that style doesn’t work unless you have a bunch of All Americans like South Carolina did last year, even their point in the Final 4 did make outside shots when left unguarded. I hope all the ladies leaving do great things in life, I’m also glad that on the court they’re leaving, girls in their 5th/6th year didn’t get it done, on to the next group.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Michael, I’m not blaming it on Terry really, she would have been better as a 3 if she could only shoot a little, she did have some good parts of her game, in my opinion it just wasn’t as a PG. Next year Coach is on the hot seat a little, this offense was brutal, not sure what the scheme was supposed to be besides running down the shot clock launching outside jumpers or in many cases push shots. You’ve talked about pick and pop before, I would like to see that, also would like to see a PG that drives to the hoop looking to score, one that doesn’t shoot like a 6th grader, I’m sorry that style doesn’t work unless you have a bunch of All Americans like South Carolina did last year, even their point in the Final 4 did make outside shots when left unguarded. I hope all the ladies leaving do great things in life, I’m also glad that on the court they’re leaving, girls in their 5th/6th year didn’t get it done, on to the next group.
We will be more athletic next year, but so very very inexperienced, and you only fix that through the growing pains of playing through it. There will be two massive issues with the point guards we have coming in next year. None of the three including Jones is good at creating shots for others or distributing the ball. Assists will be by committee and MA will be the one suffering from it the most. Second, we lose the vast majority of our rebounding and the only rebounder we have com9ing in is Puryear, who may get shoved down the bench if we get a portal post focused on scoring.

The offense is a series of set plays that is designed almost exclusively to pass into the post and get perimeter shots from the kickouts. The problem is EVERYONE knows that is our only offensive game plan, so its easy to stop a lot of those post feeds and thus if its not open, the ball gets passed around the perimeter like a hot potato, or no one flashes to the ball and Terry gets stuck with it. Its a 25 year old high school scheme that was the only one Versyp knew, and its the only one Gearlds has run as a coach as well. Its hard to get drives form the point unless you are quicker than your opponent, and Terry rarely had a quickness advantage. IF we had someone else that could make a post entry pass consistently she would have been hell on opposing pgs posting them up.

Something that bothered me about the scheduling for this tournament. It didn't seem fair for Purdue to play Wednesday night. Then turn around and have to play in the early session on Thursday. Why wouldn't we get scheduled for a night game to get a little rest?

I understand there are some teams they probably want in primetime. It still didn't seem fair.

I noticed during our game we hit a wall with about 8 minutes to go. I think some of it was fatigue. Madison didn't have her legs the whole game.....her shot was totally off.

An extra 6 or 8 hours of rest could have made a difference. Nebraska already had an advantage, not having to play Wednesday.

Both Wednesday winners should play in the evening session the next day.

Last edited:
Something that bothered me about the scheduling for this tournament. It didn't seem fair for Purdue to play Wednesday night. Then turn around and have to play in the early session on Thursday. Why wouldn't we get scheduled for a night game to get a little rest?

I understand there are some teams they probably want in primetime. It still didn't seem fair.

I noticed during our game we hit a wall with about 8 minutes to go. I think some of it was fatigue. Madison didn't have her legs the whole game.....her shot was totally off.

An extra 6 or 8 hours of rest could have made a difference. Nebraska already had an advantage, not having to play Wednesday.

Both Wednesday winners should play in the evening session the next day.
We definitely hit a wall in that fourth quarter. But I dont really have a problem with the schedule. Its not so much a punishment as it is not giving the 12-13 seeds a little more rest before playing the best seed on Thursday.

Kind of how tonight works for Iowa. They play around 4 and have to turn around to play at noon tomorrow.

Long story short. Win more games in the regular season and you won't deal with it.

Reactions: purduedavie
We will be more athletic next year, but so very very inexperienced, and you only fix that through the growing pains of playing through it. There will be two massive issues with the point guards we have coming in next year. None of the three including Jones is good at creating shots for others or distributing the ball. Assists will be by committee and MA will be the one suffering from it the most. Second, we lose the vast majority of our rebounding and the only rebounder we have com9ing in is Puryear, who may get shoved down the bench if we get a portal post focused on scoring.

The offense is a series of set plays that is designed almost exclusively to pass into the post and get perimeter shots from the kickouts. The problem is EVERYONE knows that is our only offensive game plan, so its easy to stop a lot of those post feeds and thus if its not open, the ball gets passed around the perimeter like a hot potato, or no one flashes to the ball and Terry gets stuck with it. Its a 25 year old high school scheme that was the only one Versyp knew, and its the only one Gearlds has run as a coach as well. Its hard to get drives form the point unless you are quicker than your opponent, and Terry rarely had a quickness advantage. IF we had someone else that could make a post entry pass consistently she would have been hell on opposing pgs posting them up.
Agree to disagree here sir. I've seen enough games/clips from Poole/Amiyah to confidently say they will both be above average/good passers from day one. Sure, they're freshmen and will have some rough games adjusting to the speed of the game, but they both have good speed/quickness. So they'll be able to create and distribute the ball to players. I'd argue they'll be better at breaking defenses down with their speed than Terry could do. Amiyah has good length as well, I think she'll be a decent rebounder from the PG position. She won't be as good as Terry from a rebounding perspective but still should help in that area.

Jones isn't a true pg and next year she'll be in her more natural role as an off guard. Give her those high pick and rolls, get her out in transition, and let her pressure the ball. Those are areas where she excelled and could be elite by her junior- senior year.

Agree to disagree here sir. I've seen enough games/clips from Poole/Amiyah to confidently say they will both be above average/good passers from day one. Sure, they're freshmen and will have some rough games adjusting to the speed of the game, but they both have good speed/quickness. So they'll be able to create and distribute the ball to players. I'd argue they'll be better at breaking defenses down with their speed than Terry could do. Amiyah has good length as well, I think she'll be a decent rebounder from the PG position. She won't be as good as Terry from a rebounding perspective but still should help in that area.

Jones isn't a true pg and next year she'll be in her more natural role as an off guard. Give her those high pick and rolls, get her out in transition, and let her pressure the ball. Those are areas where she excelled and could be elite by her junior- senior year.
I'd buy they are average. The two positions that are the hardest to adjust to from High School to college are post; because now everyone is as big or bigger than you and your skills matter far more than they had to in HS; and point, because the speed of the game is much faster and the passing windows are significantly smaller. Additionally you are no longer playing against girls that are mediocre high school players with no future in the sport, but the best of the best, and usually experienced players that have learned a lot of lessons the hard way and are eager to teach them to you...

I'd buy they are average. The two positions that are the hardest to adjust to from High School to college are post; because now everyone is as big or bigger than you and your skills matter far more than they had to in HS; and point, because the speed of the game is much faster and the passing windows are significantly smaller. Additionally you are no longer playing against girls that are mediocre high school players with no future in the sport, but the best of the best, and usually experienced players that have learned a lot of lessons the hard way and are eager to teach them to you...
Id agree with you its a hard transition from Indiana high school to the B10 level but both Poole and Reynolds played high high level aau against the top players in the country throughout high school. Both will have an adjustment but I dont think (hope) it will be that drastic.

Another one who has shown some good court vision this year was Swanson. She made some good passes if her shot wasnt open.

Terry was a really good rebounder, take that out of her game and she was a below average player, I’ve watched enough basketball to know she’s easily replaceable, 5 years in college and I’ve witnessed 6th graders with better shooting abilities. Hopefully, Reynolds shows that she can score, playing short handed on offense isn’t a winning method. Watching Purdue women’s hoops was brutal this year, for me it was because of their offense which was directed by her, the ball was in her hands 80% of the possession times I’m guessing. She wasn’t a true PG, unfortunately do to the way the roster was constructed she was forced to play it, ideally she would have been a jack of all trades roll player coming off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night.

Reactions: Gesysp and tomgloe
Id agree with you its a hard transition from Indiana high school to the B10 level but both Poole and Reynolds played high high level aau against the top players in the country throughout high school. Both will have an adjustment but I dont think (hope) it will be that drastic.

Another one who has shown some good court vision this year was Swanson. She made some good passes if her shot wasnt open.
Mila Reynolds and Rashunda Jones played on those same AAU teams..... just saying.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Terry was a really good rebounder, take that out of her game and she was a below average player, I’ve watched enough basketball to know she’s easily replaceable, 5 years in college and I’ve witnessed 6th graders with better shooting abilities. Hopefully, Reynolds shows that she can score, playing short handed on offense isn’t a winning method. Watching Purdue women’s hoops was brutal this year, for me it was because of their offense which was directed by her, the ball was in her hands 80% of the possession times I’m guessing. She wasn’t a true PG, unfortunately do to the way the roster was constructed she was forced to play it, ideally she would have been a jack of all trades roll player coming off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night.
Yeah if she was surrounded by a bunch of other talented players, I don't think her shooting would've been an issue. I think South Carolina or lsu last year had a girl similar to Terry.

Reynolds had a good mid range jumper in HS, i'd expect that to carry over from day one. I don't know how good her 3 pt shot is though.

It had to be beneficial to Amiyah to pick Terry's brain a bit and see her play. That should help, along with practicing with college players this season(i believe shes been full go the last month or two?)as well as in the offseason. She should be more adjusted to the speed compared to Poole.

I agree, I think they'll both do just fine next season. I may be too high on Amiyah, but I think she may be our best player by the end of the season next year(depending on who we grab in the portal). She's that good.

Yeah if she was surrounded by a bunch of other talented players, I don't think her shooting would've been an issue. I think South Carolina or lsu last year had a girl similar to Terry.

Reynolds had a good mid range jumper in HS, i'd expect that to carry over from day one. I don't know how good her 3 pt shot is though.
South Carolina did, remember Iowa left her open, she actually made shots that game, maybe had 15 or so points but yea similar, difference was they had studs in other places. Anyway, she’s gone now, let’s hope that Purdue is more athletic last year and has an offense that bears watching, I’ll be honest, that was tough watching.

Reactions: tomgloe
South Carolina did, remember Iowa left her open, she actually made shots that game, maybe had 15 or so points but yea similar, difference was they had studs in other places. Anyway, she’s gone now, let’s hope that Purdue is more athletic last year and has an offense that bears watching, I’ll be honest, that was tough watching.
No doubt, they did play better towards the end which was nice to see. We'll see who CKG brings from the portal, but Amiyah, Poole, and Puryear will help upgrade our athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT