ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue loses scrimmage to Providence

PUQBMan.

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 5, 2015
Chula Vista, CA
Lost by 1 in OT. Doubt it means much in the grand scheme of things, but obviously you’d prefer Purdue comes out ahead anytime they take the floor. I’m curious what types of lineups and sets Painter ran. Usually Painter is very strategic in scheduling these scrimmages, so I’m sure there were some specific kinks he was looking to work out.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Lost by 1 in OT. Doubt it means much in the grand scheme of things, but obviously you’d prefer Purdue comes out ahead anytime they take the floor. I’m curious what types of lineups and sets Painter ran. Usually Painter is very strategic in scheduling these scrimmages, so I’m sure there were some specific kinks he was looking to work out.
FIRE PAINTER !!

Gillis didn’t play. Looks like Edey, Furst, Ivey, Sasha, and IT were the starters. 10 players playing 15 minutes plus.

Seeing the overreactions on Twitter is hilarious. Just looking at the minutes, guarantee CP was playing with lineups and wrinkles he is interested in. Providence played their starters the entire game.

Glad the freshman got good minutes and we will see plenty of improvement throughout the year.

Boiler Up.

No, I'd prefer we lost several scrimmages and games.
Losing makes you humble and to look clearly at the areas you need to improve.

Looks like Purdue was up 14 mid way through the second half and lost the lead. This hopefully is a good teaching opportunity about not letting up.

I also noticed that Providence shot 11/21 from three. Sounds like the defensive rotations need some work.

Reactions: DAG10 and TX4GB
Ivey with 9 assists so he must be playing PG with IT and Sasha surrounding him as shooters.
Not sure what you mean by ‘playing point guard’ in this context. Jaden will have the ball in his hands and will penetrate and make reads (score or dish) all season. Not sure it has anything to do with playing point guard.

Seeing the overreactions on Twitter is hilarious. Just looking at the minutes, guarantee CP was playing with lineups and wrinkles he is interested in. Providence played their starters the entire game.

Glad the freshman got good minutes and we will see plenty of improvement throughout the year.

Boiler Up.
Yep. Box score makes it obvious. None of our players played 30 minutes. All of their starters played 32-38 minutes. We didn't start Williams and we did start Thompson. I'm guessing we don't see many starting lineups this season where either of those things happen.

CMP obviously playing with combinations. IT with more minutes than Newman and almost as many as Trevion. That's not going to happen when it counts.

3 pt % 45
FT %78 We do this as a team when it counts and we will be just fine.

Its just a scrimmage so it really doesn't matter, but isn't depth supposed to be strength of the Purdue team this year. If you look at the minutes Williams, Hunter, Ivey, Sasha and Furst all played over 25 minutes. Edey and Thompson just about 20 and Newman, TKR and Morton about 15.

The only number that surprised me was that Newman only played 15 minutes. I would guess that most the guards would have gotten some of Morton's minutes in a
real game. Other than that who would have played more and who would have played less in your opinion?

CMP obviously playing with combinations. IT with more minutes than Newman and almost as many as Trevion. That's not going to happen when it counts.

3 pt % 45
FT %78 We do this as a team when it counts and we will be just fine.
The outcome of the scrimmage doesn't impact my overall perception of the team but between the interview on Friday and the scrimmage box my take away from the weekend are:
  1. Williams and Edey won't play much together (Interview),
  2. If the season started today it appears Furst is the leader to start at the 4
  3. Painter made it clear in the interview that he's not going to play 11 guys and that the guys (plural) who aren't playing need to be ready when called upon and be good teammates.
  4. It looks like IT has an inside track to still be in the rotation this year and Morton is at risk of being the odd man out in the backcourt again.
  5. The box score could have came from the games played at the end of last season. To a player the strengths and weaknesses appear to be the same. The only difference was of course Furst. Just one scrimmage but I found it interesting.
The thing that confuses me the most out of the box score is the limited minutes for Newman. Don't want to read to much into it but I wonder what's up with that?

The biggest difference to me letting their big man foul 9 times is the only reason PC was even close . Changes everything gave away Purdue's BIGGEST advantage .
Completely agree with respect to the outcome. If I'm MP that's exactly why I agree to those rules. Doesn't help our bigs to play against their backup or third string because their big men get into foul trouble.

Its just a scrimmage so it really doesn't matter, but isn't depth supposed to be strength of the Purdue team this year. If you look at the minutes Williams, Hunter, Ivey, Sasha and Furst all played over 25 minutes. Edey and Thompson just about 20 and Newman, TKR and Morton about 15.

The only number that surprised me was that Newman only played 15 minutes. I would guess that most the guards would have gotten some of Morton's minutes in a
real game. Other than that who would have played more and who would have played less in your opinion?
I wouldn’t be so certain about IT’s minutes. Purdue was a better team late last season with IT on the floor and as of now I believe that he is solidly in the rotation.

I wouldn’t be so certain about IT’s minutes. Purdue was a better team late last season with IT on the floor and as of now I believe that he is solidly in the rotation.
But, but, but, not may stars and almost no decent offers!!!😉

Anytime they want 4 or more reliable shooters on the floor IT will probably be out there

We scored 76 in regulation. That's not bad. Giving up 76 in regulation was the bigger problem. Defense.
Defense is what will ultimately determine just how good and how much success this team has this year.

But, but, but, not may stars and almost no decent offers!!!😉
What is it with the lack of respect for Boiler Thompsons? PJ had the exact same issue. Every year the fans talking about who would replace him and take his minutes. Guilty of being a solid reliable player but not that star we want at EVERY position. Yet always was one of our MOST reliable guys.
Coaches treasure guys that "get it". That understand and do the little things like being in the right place and working your ass off on defense.

*i know you were being sarcastic. Embellishing on the continuing discussion of who will take IT's minutes...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
3 that stand out to me are: Williams 3-7 from the foul line yet 7-8 from the field, the team 63% from 3 point range first half and 25% second half, and Ivey's 9:8 assist to turnover ratio. What all 3 have in common are they were problems last year. Same good vrs. bad, so not fixed or improved yet.

Reactions: DAG10
3 that stand out to me are: Williams 3-7 from the foul line yet 7-8 from the field, the team 63% from 3 point range first half and 25% second half, and Ivey's 9:8 assist to turnover ratio. What all 3 have in common are they were problems last year. Same good vrs. bad, so not fixed or improved yet.
45% for 3's - soooo NO.
IVEY had 8 turnovers. Ivey was not a primary ball handler till the end of the season last year. Pretty big difference, though the outcome was not good.
Soooo NO #2.
Tre's free throws are consistant (ly bad), so 1 out of 3?
.333 is a fine avg in mlb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT