ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue loses scrimmage to Providence

Obviously a scrimmage, but a bit disappointing to be honest. Wasn’t like we flew out to Spokane amd scrimmaged Zaga
Lol at being disappointed in October results. As others have said, seems clear we had a nice lead and would have fouled out their front court in a real game. Painter got what he wanted, a chance to see his whole team for extended minutes in different combos. Nothing else matters.

The outcome of the scrimmage doesn't impact my overall perception of the team but between the interview on Friday and the scrimmage box my take away from the weekend are:
  1. Williams and Edey won't play much together (Interview),
  2. If the season started today it appears Furst is the leader to start at the 4
  3. Painter made it clear in the interview that he's not going to play 11 guys and that the guys (plural) who aren't playing need to be ready when called upon and be good teammates.
  4. It looks like IT has an inside track to still be in the rotation this year and Morton is at risk of being the odd man out in the backcourt again.
  5. The box score could have came from the games played at the end of last season. To a player the strengths and weaknesses appear to be the same. The only difference was of course Furst. Just one scrimmage but I found it interesting.
The thing that confuses me the most out of the box score is the limited minutes for Newman. Don't want to read to much into it but I wonder what's up with that?
Well said. I'd add:
  • This team will be at it's best when Jaden finds a 'controlled fury' level of aggression. Absolutely need him to consistently attack but tough to live with 8 turnovers and 1-5 from three. Fingers crossed that he's able to scale that back a bit, reduce the TO's and be more selecting from deep when the season starts.
  • Good point on Newman. I don't think there's anything that can be taken from his minutes as it could just as easily mean that he's played well and they don't need to see more from him as it could that he did anything wrong.

Tre was 3-7 for the line. This stands out to me as if he doesn’t improve his free throw shooting, I could see Zach taking a lot of his minutes, especially late in the game.
It has plagued Williams his entire career, and, it is puzzling that it has not been something that he has fixed...to your point, sitting at the expense of Zach may suddenly serve as some extra motivation...it should not take that though unfortunately...one would like to think that as a leader and a guy with some aspirations of not only having the most individual and team success as possible and then to play after college that he would invest the time on fixing that particular aspect of his game. It would be disappointing for that to hold him, and, Purdue, back.

It has plagued Williams his entire career, and, it is puzzling that it has not been something that he has fixed...to your point, sitting at the expense of Zach may suddenly serve as some extra motivation...it should not take that though unfortunately...one would like to think that as a leader and a guy with some aspirations of not only having the most individual and team success as possible and then to play after college that he would invest the time on fixing that particular aspect of his game. It would be disappointing for that to hold him, and, Purdue, back.

Agree in several respects.....Big Tre has shown he can convert in stretches, and he generally has good form when he concentrates/focus - it appears to be more of a mental issue, but it can become a glaring weakness in a tight game down the stretch....plus, it's a lost opportunity throughout games to stretch a lead. Hopefully, Trevion Williams works it out. I see no good reason he couldn't shoot 75% or so from the line, especially with his touch.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
What is it with the lack of respect for Boiler Thompsons? PJ had the exact same issue. Every year SOME fans talking about who would replace him and take his minutes. Guilty of being a solid reliable player but not that star we want at EVERY position. Yet always was one of our MOST reliable guys.
Coaches treasure guys that "get it". That understand and do the little things like being in the right place and working your ass off on defense.

*i know you were being sarcastic. Embellishing on the continuing discussion of who will take IT's minutes...
FIFY.

And I agree with your point about players like IT.

I recall an article heading into last season about how Tre had been working hard on his free throw shooting and was expecting to do much better, but when the season started he had the same struggles. Maybe he has put in the work, but free throw shooting is just not something he will be able to turn around. I can think of several NBA bigs who never became proficient free throw shooters.

It might make Edey the better option after the team gets in the bonus, as someone mentioned before.

I might point out that it is often Tre who causes the opposing centers to foul. His moves, width, and fast first step means that the opponent often fouls to stop his shot. Zach uses his height advantage to shoot, and is less likely to draw fouls. So, use Tre to get into the bonus, use Zach to close the deal.

I might point out that it is often Tre who causes the opposing centers to foul. His moves, width, and fast first step means that the opponent often fouls to stop his shot. Zach uses his height advantage to shoot, and is less likely to draw fouls. So, use Tre to get into the bonus, use Zach to close the deal.
So Tre sets them up and Zach knocks them down?

TKR may be odd man out until next year
It’s possible.

I am starting to think that Furst will be an impact player this season at the 4. In the U19 games I could see that he was scrappy and willing to do the little things to win, but he didn’t show that he has range. Since then, in the three scrimmages, he’s 4/7 from three. If he can be a consistent threat from three, that will be huge for spacing in the offense. I’m cautiously optimistic.

It’s possible.

I am starting to think that Furst will be an impact player this season at the 4. In the U19 games I could see that he was scrappy and willing to do the little things to win, but he didn’t show that he has range. Since then, in the three scrimmages, he’s 4/7 from three. If he can be a consistent threat from three, that will be huge for spacing in the offense. I’m cautiously optimistic.
People should've realized what a pick-up he was. Very intelligent player and is a flat out stud. He will make us a better team for sure....

It’s possible.

Furst is going to play, and, going to have an impact...he is a perfect fit at/for Purdue...does not lack confidence (nor should he)...and cares way more about winning than about stats.

That said, I can't see TKR not playing and having an impact as well. It may take a little more time in his case, and, it may be a bit more of an adjustment, but, the guy is really talented as well, and, is a guy that also fits very nicely at Purdue.

Lol at being disappointed in October results. As others have said, seems clear we had a nice lead and would have fouled out their front court in a real game. Painter got what he wanted, a chance to see his whole team for extended minutes in different combos. Nothing else matters.
YEP! I was in the room when CMP was talking with Providence. He specifically told them: "Leave your best guys out there all game, to hell with fouls, because ... well...our second team may be better than our first team and I want them to play against your best too!!!!

Last edited:
It’s possible.

Agree. If he shoots over 50% from 3 I think he will start and make a big impact.

Agree. If he shoots over 50% from 3 I think he will start and make a big impact.
If he does that, it is a genuine bonus...I think he has more of an impact with what he provides overall...he is a really good rebounder...he plays with a lot of energy...he is underrated athletically...he is a solid passer for a big...he can handle the ball well for a big...he can protect the rim some, but, can also guard guys away from the basket (and that, as much as anything, is likely while he will see a lot of minutes), and, the kid just wins (or at least the teams that he is on do).

If he does that, it is a genuine bonus...I think he has more of an impact with what he provides overall...he is a really good rebounder...he plays with a lot of energy...he is underrated athletically...he is a solid passer for a big...he can handle the ball well for a big...he can protect the rim some, but, can also guard guys away from the basket (and that, as much as anything, is likely while he will see a lot of minutes), and, the kid just wins (or at least the teams that he is on do).
Agree. I was just kind of joking based on his early exhibition performance. Any player that shoots over 50% from deep is probably going to be a factor, let alone one of his size and other skills. If he shoots anywhere close to even 40% from deep, he's got a shot to start all season and possibly win freshman of the year.

From what I've been able to catch of Caleb Furst (which hasn't been a ton as a disclaimer), what impressed me right off the bat was the level of his ability to handle the ball and pass......and he also runs the floor well. He will have his moments, and with that, I expect Trey Kaufman-Renn will as well, maybe not right away. These two young men are coming into a great situation - they will get their opportunities but won't have to shoulder the load......though I think they will have that ability down the line. They will eventually be a beast of a duo for conference foes, IMO.

Just looking forward to see what they can do, along with the rest - CMP has his deepest team and plenty of options......let's just see what he can do when he's holding a damn good hand.

Cautiously optimistic - but man......can we get this season started folks....."T" minus eight days and counting!

Wow. In just one scrimmage, we’re already in late-season form. Ready for North Texas.

Love the excuses, but we all know deep inside that Delray Brooks and Billy Donovan secretly returned to play and worked their magic again for the all-mighty Friars.

Maybe now Providence will finally get one single vote in the AP poll. Surely they’re right on the verge of breaking into The AP Top 47, surely top among those “also receiving a thought” … from a seasoned scribe just before falling off his bar stool.

Providence must be utterly divine. Andy Devine.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Tre was 3-7 for the line. This stands out to me as if he doesn’t improve his free throw shooting, I could see Zach taking a lot of his minutes, especially late in the ga

Wow. In just one scrimmage, we’re already in late-season form. Ready for North Texas.

Love the excuses, but we all know deep inside that Delray Brooks and Billy Donovan secretly returned to play and worked their magic again for the all-mighty Friars.

Maybe now Providence will finally get one single vote in the AP poll. Surely they’re right on the verge of breaking into The AP Top 47, surely top among those “also receiving a thought” … from a seasoned scribe just before falling off his bar stool.

Providence must be utterly divine. Andy Devine.

SCRIMMAGES are to see what line ups you can work with . Even when both of my girls played ball, coaches used scrimmages to test the waters so to speak. Usually did not care about scoreboard at all.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Tre was 3-7 for the line. This stands out to me as if he doesn’t improve his free throw shooting, I could see Zach taking a lot of his minutes, especially late in the game.
On the other hand Williams was 7-8 from the field (17 points on 8 shots) with zero turnovers. Zach was 5 for 10 from the field (12 points on 10 shots) with 3 turnovers. Nothing against Zach but stats wise Williams had the better game.

Reactions: Roeder
This team is going to score a bunch of points. Painter is going to have a huge advantage when it comes to getting them to play the way he wants. Capable backup right there that will do it. This team will play hard and that is what I like the most about this situation.

As has been pointed out: there is a difference between a scrimmage and a real game - nobody gets to foul 9 times in a game; you are forced out of it. This is a step above a practice and nothin g more. To try to see significance in the score is a pointless exercise.
So... What you're telling me is Al Durham doesn't get credit for finally beating Purdue?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
This team is going to score a bunch of points. Painter is going to have a huge advantage when it comes to getting them to play the way he wants. Capable backup right there that will do it. This team will play hard and that is what I like the most about this situation.
That’s the beauty. If anyone is having an off night there are plenty of others that can step right in.

That’s the beauty. If anyone is having an off night there are plenty of others that can step right in.
We will be talking about this all season. How long does Painter wait to put in a sub? There are a number of reasons to leave a certain player(s) in the game just a little longer. Perhaps the replacement is also having an off night, so then what? How do match ups factor in?

Lost by 1 in OT. Doubt it means much in the grand scheme of things, but obviously you’d prefer Purdue comes out ahead anytime they take the floor. I’m curious what types of lineups and sets Painter ran. Usually Painter is very strategic in scheduling these scrimmages, so I’m sure there were some specific kinks he was looking to work out.
No reason to be concerned, not seeing the game and what each coach was trying to do. Individually, Jaden had a lot of assists and a lot of turnovers. Tre struggled at the line. Trey stat wise struggled. Brandon and Jaden struggled behind the arc. I suspect part of that poor shooting behind the arc is related timing and delivey of the ball...again, not seeing the game. I know Brandon can get going behind the arc and believe that his shooting will improve. As far as teams...more than 5 fouls allowed and Providence played their five a lot. More time was split for Purdue. Providence top five shared more similar fg shooting attempts than Purdue. Jaden had a lot of fg attempts, next Tre and Zach and then another break in FG attempts with Caleb, Brandon, Sasha and Trey in the next group. If it meant something, Purdue would have won it appears.

We will be talking about this all season. How long does Painter wait to put in a sub? There are a number of reasons to leave a certain player(s) in the game just a little longer. Perhaps the replacement is also having an off night, so then what? How do match ups factor in?
I suspect the amount of time a player gets to play through the rough times is a function of what Matt has seen in practice with his replacement in the same setting or a slightly different team approach relative to the team he is playing. Coaches that have a perception of a player in previously viewed practices and games is held when another player on the court is struggling and the replacement is on the bench as a strategic matter. We will see the TV timeout changes in personnel and such I suspect. That perception "delta" will play a role in close games and less of a role in not so close of a game assuming there are obvious to all needs at the moment...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT