ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands Marian transfer Ella Collier

I understand. There is one statistic that is a direct comparison between different levels of basketball...FTs. In 2023-2024 season, there was only one other player (only 80 FTs) in DI, DII, DII, or NAIA besides Collier who hit 95+% of her FTs. Collier's was at 96.1% (146-152). I realize this is only one aspect of the game, but her shooting stroke is incredibly consistent. This will be my last post on her FTs...I promise. lol!
And she was a 50 40 90 in high school also ( at least her sophomore year) before attaining that feat 4 years in a row at Marian. I can’t find her line for that stat for her junior and senior years, but five 50 40 90 out if 8 is still pretty dang good. I am excited to see how she does at d-1 level. Boiler up!
Juan

Reactions: tomgloe
I guess Collier will be a really good litmus test to see if Gearlds knows what kind of talent it takes to be a good D1 player. I will frankly be shocked if Collier lives up to half this hype.
I don't think there's been that much hype around Ella Collier. Gearlds just said she's a great natural shooter. I'm sure she is. At the same time, everyone acknowledges she'll be making a huge jump up from NAIA to the B1G. We'll see how she does at this level. I'm not expecting her to be all-conference

I can see being disappointed if you're looking for Gearlds to land a program-changing transfer. Collier probably isn't that.

Reactions: jbvazq234
I don't think there's been that much hype around Ella Collier. Gearlds just said she's a great natural shooter. I'm sure she is. At the same time, everyone acknowledges she'll be making a huge jump up from NAIA to the B1G. We'll see how she does at this level. I'm not expecting her to be all-conference

I can see being disappointed if you're looking for Gearlds to land a program-changing transfer. Collier probably isn't that.
"Katie Gearlds was quoted in the latest Mike Carmin article that Ella Collier is the best shooter she's ever seen. She said if she gets her feet set it's almost automatic. She also compared her court awareness to Cass Hardin & Madison Layden. She said Ella sees things earlier than others."

This is the hype Gearlds is putting on her that I am talking about. Frankly I call bullshit, if she were that great a shooter, she would not have been bargain basement clearance in the portal. Unless you know our coach never watched our games with Iowa the last three years...........

"Katie Gearlds was quoted in the latest Mike Carmin article that Ella Collier is the best shooter she's ever seen. She said if she gets her feet set it's almost automatic. She also compared her court awareness to Cass Hardin & Madison Layden. She said Ella sees things earlier than others."

This is the hype Gearlds is putting on her that I am talking about. Frankly I call bullshit, if she were that great a shooter, she would not have been bargain basement clearance in the portal. Unless you know our coach never watched our games with Iowa the last three years...........

Two thoughts on that.

First, all those things probably are true of Collier to this point in her career. It's an open question if she'll be able to do it against B1G defenses.

Second, of course Gearlds is praising a player she just signed. I mean, what did you expect her to say? "Well, this is the best we could find. She's a hope and a prayer."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT