ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Ft. Myers Tip-Off Slate Announced

Non-conference slate continues to get tougher:

South Carolina
Notre Dame (date TBD)
Kentucky

Extremely likely we go 0-4 maybe pick up a close win vs MTSU who is going to be loaded after a very good season last year. They return their 6’6 kid who is going to be a very tough matchup for us early in the season breaking in 2 freshmen posts.

Constantly being young sucks. But that’s what you get when you have KG’s current recruiting philosophy. But hey - built in excuse for losing!

Also - why are we stacking games in ooc with sec teams again!?! The big ten got 100% tougher with the introduction of usc and ucla Oregon and Washington. This series with UK and ND is completely unnecessary with where we are as a program but whatever stack up the losses.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Extremely likely we go 0-4 maybe pick up a close win vs MTSU who is going to be loaded after a very good season last year. They return their 6’6 kid who is going to be a very tough matchup for us early in the season breaking in 2 freshmen posts.

Constantly being young sucks. But that’s what you get when you have KG’s current recruiting philosophy. But hey - built in excuse for losing!

Also - why are we stacking games in ooc with sec teams again!?! The big ten got 100% tougher with the introduction of usc and ucla Oregon and Washington. This series with UK and ND is completely unnecessary with where we are as a program but whatever stack up the losses.
We signed a contract with Kentucky before their coaching change was even made. They wouldn't be considered a top 25 team if they didn't hire that coach and bring in some good transfers. They're still a fringe top 25 to start and we have them at home so it could be competitive game and a good opportunity for a resume booster.

Dub's phrasing("draws South Carolina") makes it seem Purdue didn't have much of a choice. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I would of rather played a middle of the pack SEC team for this event.

I don't mind the ND series, it should be annual.

IMO, with the current 18 team big ten set up, I think having an annual ND matchup with two more middle pack Power 4 teams seems like a good OOC.

MTSU also will have an advantage on scouting us as that is where Emily Monson landed....

Didn't you attack me last year for saying we were too young for the schedule we put together? ;)

I don't think any schedule for OOC was going to give us a chance at a winning record this next season, but taking a 40+ point shelling from USCar is not going to make the program look attractive in recruiting going forward.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
We signed a contract with Kentucky before their coaching change was even made. They wouldn't be considered a top 25 team if they didn't hire that coach and bring in some good transfers. They're still a fringe top 25 to start and we have them at home so it could be competitive game and a good opportunity for a resume booster.

Dub's phrasing("draws South Carolina") makes it seem Purdue didn't have much of a choice. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I would of rather played a middle of the pack SEC team for this event.

I don't mind the ND series, it should be annual.

IMO, with the current 18 team big ten set up, I think having an annual ND matchup with two more middle pack Power 4 teams seems like a good OOC.
The event decides the matchups, similar to any tournament. Different than the Kentucky and Notre Dame games, which are agreed upon single games for a given year. (Obviously can do five year series with those, etc).

MTSU also will have an advantage on scouting us as that is where Emily Monson landed....

Didn't you attack me last year for saying we were too young for the schedule we put together? ;)

I don't think any schedule for OOC was going to give us a chance at a winning record this next season, but taking a 40+ point shelling from USCar is not going to make the program look attractive in recruiting going forward.
Good point on Monson. It will be a nice close up to see if she's improved and what we might be missing out with her(if she plays). I'm hoping the games are televised but I won't get my hopes up about the MTSU matchup.

I'm curious on your thoughts about the UCLA blasting last year.. do you think it hurt us more than it helped? I'm indifferent about it, but at least it wasn't nationally televised.

Good point on Monson. It will be a nice close up to see if she's improved and what we might be missing out with her(if she plays). I'm hoping the games are televised but I won't get my hopes up about the MTSU matchup.

I'm curious on your thoughts about the UCLA blasting last year.. do you think it hurt us more than it helped? I'm indifferent about it, but at least it wasn't nationally televised.
I definitely think the skull dragging we took to UCLA and ND last year badly hurt the teams confidence and was a large part of what led to the losing season.

I suspect a team starting 4 or 5 underclassmen will be even less resilient to those kinds of losses than a team starting 4 seniors.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomgloe
Teams likely going to get annialated in some of these games, another season where most won’t care about the women’s program, that’s a shame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT