ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Northwestern: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

I can't find anything about anyone being out. 2 1/2 points that quickly is a lot. Something smells and I don't like it.....Hopefully it was just a lot of money coming in on NW, but that doesn't seem likely with a -7.5 line does it?
Came out at 8.... I thought was a little high...it's about right around 5h-6.... We lost by 8 last year and they have a pretty good nucleas of players back....it is big ten basketball on the road....always a grind for wins....72-66 Boilers.

Bart Torvik’s computer model has Purdue by 5.4, which is a lot for a conference road favorite.

Purdue is the Bart Torvik favorite in every remaining game with the narrowest remaining spread being 4 points at OSU. I’m confident that I’ve never seen computer projections that favorable to Purdue at the beginning of conference play before.

Bart Torvik’s computer model has Purdue by 5.4, which is a lot for a conference road favorite.

Purdue is the Bart Torvik favorite in every remaining game with the narrowest remaining spread being 4 points at OSU. I’m confident that I’ve never seen computer projections that favorable to Purdue at the beginning of conference play before.
A lot of our wins on road last yr were damn close...expecting the same tonight...guards better be knocking down shots unlike last yr against these guys.

We should get lots of opportunities from the perimeter so making shots will go a long ways. We definitely have the advantage down low (as usual), which means if Edey can make the right decisions when he has the ball (low turnovers), we should win easily.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Tonight is the start of Big Ten conference play as the #1-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (7-0) travel to Evanston to take on a familiar foe in the Northwestern Wildcats (5-1). Tip is scheduled for approximately 9:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

This is the first of two tilts scheduled between Purdue and Northwestern, with the return game in Mackey arena at the end of January. Northwestern won the single game played last year in a rough and tumble 64-58 victory when Purdue was also the top-ranked team, where Purdue couldn't overcome the Wilcats' pressure and let a lead get away in the later stages of the game. The Boilers look to exact a little bit of revenge in the same venue tonight. Due to some scheduling quirks, this is also the third straight game between these two schools in Evanston.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Northwestern - Matthew Nicholson, Ty Berry, Brooks Barnhizer, Ryan Langborg, and Boo Buie

Northwestern has been unspectacular but solid, starting out with a 5-1 record, losing to Mississippi State in probably it's biggest test so far. The Wildcats have good wins over Dayton and Rhode Island, but this is a step up in competition and talent with Purdue. In their last game, they were led by senior guard Boo Buie with 23 points and seven assists in the win over Northern Illinois.

Buie is back for a fifth and final year after making the all-conference first team for Northwestern last season. He leads the Wildcats with 18.5 points per game, along with 3.3 assists, and will definitely be a challenge for the Boilers' back court. He plays better at home, where he is averaging 21.5 points on the year. Buie leads the team in outside shooting with 14 made 3-pt FG's. Brooks Barnhizer has moved into the starting lineup this season after playing as a reserve last year, and he has increased his scoring to 15.3 points per game with 8.2 rebounds. Ryan Langborg is a transfer from Princeton also scoring in double figures with 10.8 points per contest. Inside the paint, the focus is with Matthew Nicholson, who comes closer to matching Zach Edey's size than many but is still outmatched, as is just about everyone. But, if Nicholson can provide some moments one-on-one against Zach Edey, that will certainly help out Northwestern's cause.

Expect Northwestern to try and slow the game down, as they play at just about the slowest pace in Division 1 @ 357th. Purdue, on the other hand (and a little surprisingly perhaps) has been much more up-tempo this year for pace.....especially off of turnovers and missed shots. Look for Braden Smith to push it when he can, in spots.

This shapes up to be a physical one, but it will be interesting to see how loosely or tightly the game is called. It's a lot of the same principles for the Boilers in their first true road test - have to limit the turnovers and not give Northwestern extra opportunities with them or on the glass. Purdue has been a little inconsistent on the offensive glass, but when they make shots - it's less of an issue. The long-range shooting has been good for the most part and very good the last couple of games. If that continues tonight, Northwestern will be hard pressed to keep pace. If the Boilers can contain Buie and Barnhizer and make them really work for points.....that will also go a long way for Purdue. FT's have been a slight issue as well for Purdue - it would be nice to see that cleaned up a little more.

It will be very interesting to see how the Boilers respond tonight - should be a really good atmosphere and a hard-fought contest. Can they start off conference play on the right track?

We shalll see coming up in a couple of hours.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Tonight is the start of Big Ten conference play as the #1-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (7-0) travel to Evanston to take on a familiar foe in the Northwestern Wildcats (5-1). Tip is scheduled for approximately 9:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

This is the first of two tilts scheduled between Purdue and Northwestern, with the return game in Mackey arena at the end of January. Northwestern won the single game played last year in a rough and tumble 64-58 victory when Purdue was also the top-ranked team, where Purdue couldn't overcome the Wilcats' pressure and let a lead get away in the later stages of the game. The Boilers look to exact a little bit of revenge in the same venue tonight. Due to some scheduling quirks, this is also the third straight game between these two schools in Evanston.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Northwestern - Matthew Nicholson, Ty Berry, Brooks Barnhizer, Ryan Langborg, and Boo Buie

Northwestern has been unspectacular but solid, starting out with a 5-1 record, losing to Mississippi State in probably it's biggest test so far. The Wildcats have good wins over Dayton and Rhode Island, but this is a step up in competition and talent with Purdue. In their last game, they were led by senior guard Boo Buie with 23 points and seven assists in the win over Northern Illinois.

Buie is back for a fifth and final year after making the all-conference first team for Northwestern last season. He leads the Wildcats with 18.5 points per game, along with 3.3 assists, and will definitely be a challenge for the Boilers' back court. He plays better at home, where he is averaging 21.5 points on the year. Buie leads the team in outside shooting with 14 made 3-pt FG's. Brooks Barnhizer has moved into the starting lineup this season after playing as a reserve last year, and he has increased his scoring to 15.3 points per game with 8.2 rebounds. Ryan Langborg is a transfer from Princeton also scoring in double figures with 10.8 points per contest. Inside the paint, the focus is with Matthew Nicholson, who comes closer to matching Zach Edey's size than many but is still outmatched, as is just about everyone. But, if Nicholson can provide some moments one-on-one against Zach Edey, that will certainly help out Northwestern's cause.

Expect Northwestern to try and slow the game down, as they play at just about the slowest pace in Division 1 @ 357th. Purdue, on the other hand (and a little surprisingly perhaps) has been much more up-tempo this year for pace.....especially off of turnovers and missed shots. Look for Braden Smith to push it when he can, in spots.

This shapes up to be a physical one, but it will be interesting to see how loosely or tightly the game is called. It's a lot of the same principles for the Boilers in their first true road test - have to limit the turnovers and not give Northwestern extra opportunities with them or on the glass. Purdue has been a little inconsistent on the offensive glass, but when they make shots - it's less of an issue. The long-range shooting has been good for the most part and very good the last couple of games. If that continues tonight, Northwestern will be hard pressed to keep pace. If the Boilers can contain Buie and Barnhizer and make them really work for points.....that will also go a long way for Purdue. FT's have been a slight issue as well for Purdue - it would be nice to see that cleaned up a little more.

It will be very interesting to see how the Boilers respond tonight - should be a really good atmosphere and a hard-fought contest. Can they start off conference play on the right track?

We shalll see coming up in a couple of hours.

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i
When Purdue pushes it, and they will, off misses there will be less opportunities for NW to be physical as you know

Reactions: RossMackey
Speaking of athletic ability, I want to see Heide and Colvin get meaningful minutes. Getting them up to speed by the tourney will be huge. Both can shoot, both have length for their position 2/3 and both are ++athletes. If that means less Morton or even a few less minutes for Loyer, so be it.
Make them pay in blood for the hack-Zach thug tactics…..

I’d love to see both Caleb and Mason with a bad attitude!

We should get lots of opportunities from the perimeter so making shots will go a long ways. We definitely have the advantage down low (as usual), which means if Edey can make the right decisions when he has the ball (low turnovers), we should win easily.
Trey brings more inside physical play that wasn’t there last year, look for Braden to be solid and Lance make it difficult on Boo. Fletch gets 10 and Purdue depth is enough if Zach doesn’t make mistakes off the double

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I want Myles to get it together as well. Right now he sees ball, but not ball man. He gets lost away from the ball and is a bit slow to react. Right now Matt has mostly used him as just spotting up on O and praying on D. I would rank him right beside Woody Austin on D early in his freshman year. Great offensive players that never learned the D as well as many. Woody was at Richmond and that should NEVER have happened. Myles, could get by with his athleticism at his school.

LOL at the Austin Woody reference, that was my freshman year and sophmore year at Purdue, brings back great memories.

Reactions: tjreese
LOL at the Austin Woody reference, that was my freshman year and sophmore year at Purdue, brings back great memories.
I loved Woody as a player, but when I saw him in Logansport in an intrasquad scrimmage I made a comment that he had to be the worse defensive player at Purdue I’ve seen that was so good on offense. A lot of times that is an inverse relationship, but not as extreme as it was for Woody early in his career and then Chad could guard someone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT