ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Creighton (Exhibition) MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Overall not bad, CMP will do his thing, Center seems uncertain, rather give Jacobsen minutes and some Wheaties, sometimes Braden forcing his shots hard to complain with a guy who gets 30, Furst and Heide no shows, Cox and Harris gamers, TKR - ok. Fletch when hit the floor early had flashbacks- overall same as last year. Season will come down to how fast you can get Cox and Harris up to speed, Colvin and TKR gonna have to step up. That's my 2 cents which = 0, after I have lunch with CMP and get his act together 🤣

Reactions: LedZep17
Disappointed that Smith seemed to forget Colvin can shoot and didn't pass him the ball several times. I'm sure the chemistry will continue to improve. Colvin, Cox, Harris, and Smith each caused problems for Creighton's ball handlers.
Purdue won the turnover margin 13 to 7. A great exhibition game.

Creighton has maybe the best center in the country and also made 13 - 3s.

Overall not bad, CMP will do his thing, Center seems uncertain, rather give Jacobsen minutes and some Wheaties, sometimes Braden forcing his shots hard to complain with a guy who gets 30, Furst and Heide no shows, Cox and Harris gamers, TKR - ok. Fletch when hit the floor early had flashbacks- overall same as last year. Season will come down to how fast you can get Cox and Harris up to speed, Colvin and TKR gonna have to step up. That's my 2 cents which = 0, after I have lunch with CMP and get his act together 🤣
I thought TKR played well (except FTs!!!) and thought Colvin looked improved. Don’t know what happened to Heide…. And i thought Furst looked worst of 4 centers played today.

Let’s not forget kalkbrenner is preseason big east player of year and pop isaacs was 4th highest scorer in big twelve games last year. And our centers and Harris/Cox guarded them respectively.

Good News: Smith, TKR, and Loyer look really good. Like good enough to carry a team to contend for another B1G title.

Bad News: Colvin, Heide, Berg, Furst went MIA

Reason for Hope: Jacobson, Cox, Harris all showed flashes. They just need to play and learn from mistakes, especially Jacobson.

Creighton looked like the better team all night dictating whatever they wanted on offense and keeping Purdue out of the paint on D. GREAT experience playing a top 15 team in the road. This team will get better and will be fun to watch the young Freshman and Sophs grow.

Good News: Smith, TKR, and Loyer look really good. Like good enough to carry a team to contend for another B1G title.

Bad News: Colvin, Heide, Berg, Furst went MIA

Reason for Hope: Jacobson, Cox, Harris all showed flashes. They just need to play and learn from mistakes, especially Jacobson.

Creighton looked like the better team all night dictating whatever they wanted on offense and keeping Purdue out of the paint on D. GREAT experience playing a top 15 team in the road. This team will get better.

Harris & Cox going to be problems. Alot to like there.

It's early.....but the interior D needs work.

Heide & Colvin - didn't see any development?? But one game.

I really think if Creighton learns how to feed their big, that team might work their way to the FF. But their coach needs to take some tips from CMP.....as there is no reason Kalk should not an AA this year.....other than usage & coaching. Pretty good team anyway, besides that.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I'm not certain what to think. There is definitely potential but chemistry was lacking. Frontcourt defense was just bad. That's going to have to get better in a hurry. Tons and tons of effort. The offense is going to have to figure out who should be scoring and from where. A lot of really good players not in a position to score. To be fair, there were so many players playing it can be difficult to develop a rhythm offensively, especially for the 2 and 3 position. But we did put up 87 against a S16 team that played very well. To me Creighton looked liked they were about 5 games into the season already and Purdue about 5 practices into the season.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I'm not certain what to think. There is definitely potential but chemistry was lacking. Frontcourt defense was just bad. That's going to have to get better in a hurry. Tons and tons of effort. The offense is going to have to figure out who should be scoring and from where. A lot of really good players not in a position to score. To be fair, there were so many players playing it can be difficult to develop a rhythm offensively, especially for the 2 and 3 position. But we did put up 87 against a S16 team that played very well. To me Creighton looked liked they were about 5 games into the season already and Purdue about 5 practices into the season.

Agree on front court D.
Furst, Heide and Berg were poor. Jac & Burg are just frosh & get a pass. And when you think Furst a senior, you wonder why? But coach has a ton of work to do there.

Like coach says it's a good thing to get your but whipped early. I am sure he will use this as a teaching tool.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
They hit some tough shots and we missed some open looks. Quite a few things to improve on but gray experience for the ones who haven’t played much or in that type of setting. Encouraged by what I saw. Hope Heide an Colvin show up more cuz we will need them throughout the year if we are going to try and make another run

they shot 60 % for the game. our D needs a lot of work. way too many 3s given up but that has been a weakness of painter teams from the get go

I thought TKR played well (except FTs!!!) and thought Colvin looked improved. Don’t know what happened to Heide…. And i thought Furst looked worst of 4 centers played today.

Let’s not forget kalkbrenner is preseason big east player of year and pop isaacs was 4th highest scorer in big twelve games last year. And our centers and Harris/Cox guarded them respectively.
TKR looked great and showed what he has in his bag. He can score on anyone in the country.

CJ and Harris are going to be pests in the backcourt.

Kalk is the best big in the country and it was great experience for DJ…Berg I’m less encouraged by but want to see more games and see if he can adjust/process quicker

How you gonna say TKR ok and had to step up? He scored in different ways. Dude can score on anyone in the country

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Love this chance to play a team like Creighton. Their starting and 2nd string PG with Kaulkbrener just carved the defense apart with the pick and roll all game. Great learning game for literally everyone on defense. Creighton looks like an elite offensive team. Berg looked the most competent at the 5 to fight against a 5 like Ryan but he picked up bad fouls which can be cleaned up. Purdue only making it interesting in the last 8 mins because Purdue is playing starters while 1st and 2nd string pg and Ryan were pulled for Creighton. Again super happy for the learning experience that the team will see their horrible defense against a very good offense. I expect come Feb a lot of the new guys will have made massive strides on defense.
Burgess can switch and move his feet on the PNR. I think we need him this season.

Can we also talk about 18 year old CJ locking up a 25 year old Covid senior and stealing his cookies and then the play resulting in an intentional foul on the old guy?

Reactions: JeffBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT