ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Alliance?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
A few questions....

1. How much money has been given to date?

2. Amount spent in 2022?

3. % each sport is getting?

4. How many players are benefiting in each sport?

5. How much is in the Alliance kitty @ this time?

6. Number of donors and range of donations?

7. % of the donations that actually go to players. Website says 85%....15% seems high administration cost?

8. Why isn't the alliance more transparent, so I don't have to ask questions I can't find by a simple search as an annual report or answers to the above are not on their website?

Your questions and answers.....

If true: 15% admin cost is ridiculous - just transfer the cash to the top assets, stop trying to be cute and Democratic.

Thought that was high as compared to the charities I donate to.

But it also is a shame the answers to these basic questions are not easily found out on their website. Frankly was considering a donation, but the lack of transparency and the high administration costs when I looked on their website put that on pause.

I would like to see that a recruit decided to come to Purdue, because of this Alliance. It almost seems like this department is a secret society.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Thought that was high as compared to the charities I donate to.

But it also is a shame the answers to these basic questions are not easily found out on their website. Frankly was considering a donation, but the lack of transparency and the high administration costs when I looked on their website put that on pause.
15% is pretty low for a nonprofit. Think about salaries, advertising, technology, fundraising, rents, utilities ...... According to the BBB Wise Giving Guide organizations should "Spend at least 65% of its total expenses on program activities"

I have no idea whether the organization is being run effectively or efficiently but the 15% number in and of itself shouldn't be a red flag.

Speaking of NIL super funder John Ruiz appears to be a scam artist. Wonder how long before all those millions he promised to those kids evaporates.

Missing an earnings report is no bueno… wonder if Pack is going to demand his 2nd year salary up front now.

Speaking of NIL super funder John Ruiz appears to be a scam artist. Wonder how long before all those millions he promised to those kids evaporates.

Not surprising. I’m an outlier here, but I’m very pro NIL in general. But the way this guy approached it, how public it was, And tying it to his company, seemed really weird and off .

I had no idea it was a publicly traded company. Wtf?

Big $ usually moves in silence.

Also Pack Making 4x Wong is funny; could argue it should be the other way around

Not surprising. I’m an outlier here, but I’m very pro NIL in general. But the way this guy approached it, how public it was, And tying it to his company, seemed really weird and off .

I had no idea it was a publicly traded company. Wtf?

Big $ usually moves in silence.

Also Pack Making 4x Wong is funny; could argue it should be the other way around
I had assumed Ruiz was paying these NIL deals out of his own pocket.

A few questions....

2. Amount spent in 2022?

7. % of the donations that actually go to players. Website says 85%....15% seems high administration cost?

8. Why isn't the alliance more transparent, so I don't have to ask questions I can't find by a simple search as an annual report or answers to the above are not on their website?

Can't you contact them directly?

Reactions: oldboiler52
I would like to see that a recruit decided to come to Purdue, because of this Alliance. It almost seems like this department is a secret society.
You say "department". I think most don't realize that :

A. These NIL Collectives aren't and can't be a part of the university. Affiliates would be the most apt description.
B. These funds have to be generated completely independent of the school and AD itself.

I do think that schools can participate in NIL (i.e. Students do work for the university and get paid) but they cannot divert ticket, merchandise, AD giving dollars, etc. from the school to these collectives. When people say "Painter/Purdue doesn't play NIL" thats true in the extent that they have little control over how the funds are generated. They can't wave a hand and have 400K per year and a car show up for a guy like pack. Thats not how these collectives are built.

NIL is like a black hole you have to keep shoveling money into with no real ROI. The only potential ROI is
if they win, the fans feel good, school's name is out
there more, merch sales may increase, Mackey already
sells out but RAde may sell more tix. But, that's if
you're lucky and win. Still gotta keep shoveling $$ into
that black hole....forever. Keep those donations coming in.

Edit: Ooops, forgot the most important part. The student athlete gets paid. Oooh... if NIL isn't
supposed to be talked about till they're enrolled,
I bet portal interviews get messy. Purdue won't
cheat, so the Miami's will get the Pack's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder
Every few years the United Way gets called on the carpet for enormous "administrative" costs. IIRC there was a time it was as high as 85%.
I'm very familiar with the United Way. If you donate, 100% of your money goes to people in need. Those who donate at the "Vanguard" level are paying for administration costs. So, the percentage of money going to Admin is sort of irrelevant with the United Way. Some intentionally give for that purpose.

A few questions....

2. Amount spent in 2022?

FYI... I sent the above questions to the Purdue Alliance & told them I would post answers here. To date no response whatsoever.

Reactions: Dryfly88
There is nothing preventing an athlete from making his or her own NIL deal ! Not all NIL deals come from money donated to alliances!

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT