ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue +7

Hard to know, and, even compare...the LBs and DL was better then, which in part aided the secondary.

Purdue's secondary was anything but impressive against Oregon St. ,and, they will be tested far more on Saturday, provided ND's OL can hold up (and, that is something that Purdue seemingly has a chance to exploit...if they are aggressive and blitz and attack). The wild card is Grant...he has the chance to be a difference maker, and, if so, the ability to make for the secondary to become a potential strength.

I said that I felt like it was a wash...that secondary held up pretty well for the course of that season, including against a talented OSU team...maybe this secondary will show itself to be better...starting on Saturday, but, I want to see it...I saw it with the '18 group.
You might be thinking 2017. 2018 was a long, long season for the defense and for the secondary in particular. 13th in total defense, 14th in passing defense. Those are conference rankings, not national.

By comparison the secondary in the OSU game was impressive simply for the fact that there were a few PBU's and our safeties didn't get trucked for 3-5 yards on every tackle.

Reactions: DAG10
No I think he’s saying this team is worse than the 2018 team.. not last year or 19? Brohm has had one team that wouldn’t lose easily to this team. 2017.

Ah ok. I would have to go back and look at the 2018 team but I am inclined to agree with you. We feel much better at several positions than at any time in the last 10 years or so.

There’s no comparison in talent .. absolutely none.

Markus Bailey was better than any defender we have save George and maybe trice and Allen.

please tell me.. who else was good on that defense in the front seven?
Purdue's LB core this year is as bad as it has been in as long as I can remember...and, is not as good as the group in '18 (who, admittedly, was not necessarily stellar...save Bailey, who was a stud).

Watts and Neal up front were solid...not spectacular, but, certainly as good as the guys playing there right now.

That Purdue team was SO much better offensively, that, there was not near the need for the defense to be great...they were not great...but, they were adequate up front, at LB and in the secondary...we will see where this group stands collectively after Saturday...thus far, the secondary has been adequate, and, the DL has not been bad, but, it is not as though it has been great either (save Karlaftis), and, the LB position is simply not good...embarrassingly bad for that matter.

Again, I am not sold on this secondary, but, I would agree that it is more talented collectively...but, it is not as though it is just a shutdown secondary in any form or fashion.

Shocking that ND could hold on to beat Ball State and escape a 2-10 Vanderbilt team, and yet, play in the CFP...goes back to the point of ND benefiting more than any other school with favored national rankings.
Not really. They beat Ball State and Vanderbilt well before the CFB rankings came out and went 12-0. You go 12-0 and beat 10 P5 teams you're getting into the CFB playoff 11 out of 10 times, don't really care what the name on the front of your jersey says.

2019 CFP, for the 2018 season:

Clemson 30
ND...........3

Those Ball State and Vandy games appear to have been a barometer.

:cool:
To be fair, Clemson beat the same teams ND did in the regular season and they beat Alabama in the national championship worse than they did Notre Dame in the semi-final. Clemson was just on a different level that year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No I think he’s saying this team is worse than the 2018 team.. not last year or 19? Brohm has had one team that wouldn’t lose easily to this team. 2017.

Ok let me try again. 2021 vs 2018

Qb - this is difficult for me. I give the starting edge to a senior Blough over a Jr Plummer even though I think they are similar in a lot of ways. Depth at qb is heavy advantage to 2021 though.

Rb - Knox/Jones as Srs vs Horvath/Doerue. Rushing edge to 2018 but I think Horvath if better than all in pass protection and receiving situations. Depth advantage to 2018 though.

Wr - Sparks, Moore, Zico vs Bell, Anthrop, wright. Heave advantage 2021 at 2 of 3 spots. Plus overall depth advantage for 2021 from a talent perspective.

Te - Herdman/Hopkins vs Durham/Miller. I think this is a wash.

OL - I think 2018 started 4 sr and 1 jr, This years oline are higher rated recruits but younger (2 sophomores). I will call this a wash but think from a talent perspective this years oline is better.

Dl - Reviere, Neal, Watts, Higgins vs Mitchell, Lewis, Johnson, Karlaftis. Heavy, HEAVY advantage at de to this year. No Neal on this years dl but imo 3/4 better this year plus better depth.

LB - Bailey, Jones, Barnes vs Graham, Duglas, Alexander 2018 advantage although Graham has looked amazing and could make this closer than it should be. Plus Brothers and Yanni give this years team a depth advantage.

Cb/s - pretty much same secondary as 2019 only younger. Imo heavy talent advantage to 2021.

I can see some arguments both ways but I would consider this years team the more talented and deep team. A couple position groups are advantage to 2018 though imo.

Ok let me try again. 2021 vs 2018

Qb - this is difficult for me. I give the starting edge to a senior Blough over a Jr Plummer even though I think they are similar in a lot of ways. Depth at qb is heavy advantage to 2021 though.

Rb - Knox/Jones as Srs vs Horvath/Doerue. Rushing edge to 2018 but I think Horvath if better than all in pass protection and receiving situations. Depth advantage to 2018 though.

Wr - Sparks, Moore, Zico vs Bell, Anthrop, wright. Heave advantage 2021 at 2 of 3 spots. Plus overall depth advantage for 2021 from a talent perspective.

Te - Herdman/Hopkins vs Durham/Miller. I think this is a wash.

OL - I think 2018 started 4 sr and 1 jr, This years oline are higher rated recruits but younger (2 sophomores). I will call this a wash but think from a talent perspective this years oline is better.

Dl - Reviere, Neal, Watts, Higgins vs Mitchell, Lewis, Johnson, Karlaftis. Heavy, HEAVY advantage at de to this year. No Neal on this years dl but imo 3/4 better this year plus better depth.

LB - Bailey, Jones, Barnes vs Graham, Duglas, Alexander 2018 advantage although Graham has looked amazing and could make this closer than it should be. Plus Brothers and Yanni give this years team a depth advantage.

Cb/s - pretty much same secondary as 2019 only younger. Imo heavy talent advantage to 2021.

I can see some arguments both ways but I would consider this years team the more talented and deep team. A couple position groups are advantage to 2018 though imo.
Appreciate your spending the time that you did...

QB...nothing to date that would suggest Plummer is even close to Blough, never mind a Senior Blough...Plummer gets a great chance this week to show if he is special in any sense, but, to date, he has failed to take advantage of such opportunities afforded him in the past.

RB...not even close, especially with Horvath out.

WR...definitely more collective talent at the position now than '18, but, '18 team was productive (largely because of the QB, a solid rushing attach due to quality/depth at RB position, and, a solid OL), and, Moore was incredibly special...as special as Bell is/has been.

TE...agree with it being a wash...good group then...good group now...again though, Purdue could take advantage of it with the QB, RB and OL to aid in doing so in '18.

OL...I have no idea how they compare with respect to ratings, but, I know that the '18 OL was solid in the passing game and running game, and, that this group has yet to show either...and, lacks the experience of that '18 group as well.

DL...a wash at DT, and advantage to '21 at DE.

LB...not close, huge advantage to '18.

Secondary...agree, more talented collectively in '21, but, '18 group was generally fairly solid during the year...I would agree with advantage to '21 though.

The '18 team showed with the performance against OSU what it was capable of...and, that team would have been able to match up with/holds its own with this ND team. It was way better offensively...much more experience, and, solid in every phase...while comparable defensively, the glaring weakness at LB is the difference in giving the edge to '18...not sure that a current LB (including Graham) would have even played with that '18 group (hoping that changes with Strickland and then some others moving forward...it needs to).

Reactions: Beorik
To be fair, Clemson beat the same teams ND did in the regular season and they beat Alabama in the national championship worse than they did Notre Dame in the semi-final. Clemson was just on a different level that year.
What were the scores when Clemson played Ball St. and Vanderbilt?

QB...nothing to date that would suggest Plummer is even close to Blough, never mind a Senior Blough...Plummer gets a great chance this week to show if he is special in any sense, but, to date, he has failed to take advantage of such opportunities afforded him in the past.

WR...definitely more collective talent at the position now than '18, but, '18 team was productive (largely because of the QB, a solid rushing attach due to quality/depth at RB position, and, a solid OL), and, Moore was incredibly special...as special as Bell is/has been.

TE...agree with it being a wash...good group then...good group now...again though, Purdue could take advantage of it with the QB, RB and OL to aid in doing so in '18.

OL...I have no idea how they compare with respect to ratings, but, I know that the '18 OL was solid in the passing game and running game, and, that this group has yet to show either...and, lacks the experience of that '18 group as well.

Secondary...agree, more talented collectively in '21, but, '18 group was generally fairly solid during the year...I would agree with advantage to '21 though.

The '18 team showed with the performance against OSU what it was capable of...and, that team would have been able to match up with/holds its own with this ND team. It was way better offensively...much more experience, and, solid in every phase...while comparable defensively, the glaring weakness at LB is the difference in giving the edge to '18...not sure that a current LB (including Graham) would have even played with that '18 group (hoping that changes with Strickland and then some others moving forward...it needs to).

Can’t argue with any of your points. Especially at rb without Horvath. I do think Plummer gets to show what he is about this year and I don’t think he will be far off of what Blough was. Still agree that a SR Blough more than likely has an advantage.

Ah ok. I would have to go back and look at the 2018 team but I am inclined to agree with you. We feel much better at several positions than at any time in the last 10 years or so.
On the 18 defense.. Markus Bailey was better than anyone we have now other than George, with arguments to be made for trice and allen depending on how things play out. Unless I recall incorrectly, Neal was injured relatively early. So, after that, I think you’re talking Jacob thienemann and a whole lot of eh.. I mean guys who may have given effort and been great guys, but who just didn’t have the talent of what we have now.

i wanna say Geo reviere was the SSDE.

Derrick Barnes had the makings of the Derrick Barnes we remember in big bright lights from last year, but he hadn’t really found a position yet

Purdue's LB core this year is as bad as it has been in as long as I can remember...and, is not as good as the group in '18 (who, admittedly, was not necessarily stellar...save Bailey, who was a stud).

Watts and Neal up front were solid...not spectacular, but, certainly as good as the guys playing there right now.

That Purdue team was SO much better offensively, that, there was not near the need for the defense to be great...they were not great...but, they were adequate up front, at LB and in the secondary...we will see where this group stands collectively after Saturday...thus far, the secondary has been adequate, and, the DL has not been bad, but, it is not as though it has been great either (save Karlaftis), and, the LB position is simply not good...embarrassingly bad for that matter.

Again, I am not sold on this secondary, but, I would agree that it is more talented collectively...but, it is not as though it is just a shutdown secondary in any form or fashion.

ok so you’re giving me watts so far? Who else was good?? Name players…

Lorenzo Neal .. my bad.. made it to the Indiana game right? I thought it was earlier. Okay he was as good as anyone in this defense save George.. as was Bailey. After that it was a STEEP drop off.

the linebackers? Or are you talking about kieran Douglas? He plays hard but just doesn’t have the talent. Alexander and brothers look good to me.. they cover a lot of ground which has been the problem with Purdue’s LBs since 03. Jalen Graham has been outstanding. Markus Bailey? No, but I’d like you to tell me who other than Bailey was even decent that year at linebacker. We currently have one really good one and two good ones.

What were the scores when Clemson played Ball St. and Vanderbilt?
They didn't but they played the same ACC teams and were both undefeated. As I said, you're getting into the CFB playoff each and every time going 12-0 regardless if your jersey says Notre Dame or Wake Forest.

This 2018 v. 2021 debate is interesting. So far the comps have been mostly 1's vs. 1's. But I think the depth of the 2021 roster will show up later in the season. There are some talented but unproven youngsters on this roster. 2 games in I'm not sure we knew much about Jaylan Alexander in 2018.

Dude.. you had two really good players on that D. Neal and Bailey. Then you had two good players on that D. Watts and J. Thienemann .. who is your fifth best player?

this year the top four are karlaftis, trice, Allen and Graham. After that I could argue I’d take any of the following over the fifth best player that year:

alexander
Grant
Mackey
Johnson
Deen
Lewis
Mitchell
Jenkins
Jefferson
Brothers

Dude.. you had two really good players on that D. Neal and Bailey. Then you had two good players on that D. Watts and J. Thienemann .. who is your fifth best player?

this year the top four are karlaftis, trice, Allen and Graham. After that I could argue I’d take any of the following over the fifth best player that year:

alexander
Grant
Mackey
Johnson
Deen
Lewis
Mitchell
Jenkins
Jefferson
Brothers

Good points being made about depth. I completely agree that depth pretty much across the board (except rb) is better on this years team. Also this is a tough argument to have when the 2018 team has written their story and this years team has not. I think looking back at 2018 it is easy to say lb for example is better but I believe that the combination of Graham, Alexander, Brothers, and possibly Yanni could be a really good group as the year goes on and they get reps.

Brohm is going to have to dial up that creativity he used against OSU and when he was as WKU. He has to use it enough to keep ND's defense honest and guessing what is coming next. Outside the other obvious one - guys have to step up across the board

Good points being made about depth. I completely agree that depth pretty much across the board (except rb) is better on this years team. Also this is a tough argument to have when the 2018 team has written their story and this years team has not. I think looking back at 2018 it is easy to say lb for example is better but I believe that the combination of Graham, Alexander, Brothers, and possibly Yanni could be a really good group as the year goes on and they get reps.
The OL in 18 was unquestionably better.. I’d give anyone that

Reactions: DAG10 and Beorik
The OL in 18 was unquestionably better.. I’d give anyone that

That was a very experienced group for sure and they have the clear advantage right now. My only (sort of) counter argument would be that there is some talent on this oline and several were injured until the week before week 1. They could still end up being a solid oline.

Reactions: Purdue85 and DAG10

alexander
Grant
Mackey
Johnson
Deen
Lewis
Mitchell
Jenkins
Jefferson
Brothers
The issue has been debated and is pretty much dead at this point, but, that D had 4 quality guys...this D really has 1 (Karlaftis). Trice/Allen/Graham have done nothing to warrant any inclusion even among the 4 guys from '18...I don't disagree that they are the three next best guys after Karlaftis this year, but, those are not difference maker guys or guys with pro potential.

I would argue that Grant is the most talented guy after Karlaftis, and, he has barely played due to injuries...big upside though.

Collectively though, the '18 defense was better...it had an adequate DL, solid LBs (bouyed by Bailey), and, adequate secondary...this defense is solid up front, and, potentially solid in the secondary, but, the LB position is really lacking.

There are some guys on the roster that have ability, but, it has yet to translate, and, at Purdue unfortunately, there are way too many cases where it has never translated.

That all said...the contention was that this '21 team is better than the '18 team, and, I still don't believe that it is...show me something on Saturday and then carry that over to two huge conference home games the following two weeks, and, maybe I will be more open to that thought.

The issue has been debated and is pretty much dead at this point, but, that D had 4 quality guys...this D really has 1 (Karlaftis). Trice/Allen/Graham have done nothing to warrant any inclusion even among the 4 guys from '18...I don't disagree that they are the three next best guys after Karlaftis this year, but, those are not difference maker guys or guys with pro potential.

I would argue that Grant is the most talented guy after Karlaftis, and, he has barely played due to injuries...big upside though.

Collectively though, the '18 defense was better...it had an adequate DL, solid LBs (bouyed by Bailey), and, adequate secondary...this defense is solid up front, and, potentially solid in the secondary, but, the LB position is really lacking.

There are some guys on the roster that have ability, but, it has yet to translate, and, at Purdue unfortunately, there are way too many cases where it has never translated.

That all said...the contention was that this '21 team is better than the '18 team, and, I still don't believe that it is...show me something on Saturday and then carry that over to two huge conference home games the following two weeks, and, maybe I will be more open to that thought.
They are major talents .. when big plays aren’t being created in their area that is something. Anthony watts was not the talent that trice or Allen are.

look at it like this.. against Oregon state,. George didn’t get a sack, but he was one of the best players in America

you tell me what big plays are happening anywhere near those other three guys

That was a very experienced group for sure and they have the clear advantage right now. My only (sort of) counter argument would be that there is some talent on this oline and several were injured until the week before week 1. They could still end up being a solid oline.
I relish the day of Purdue being just adequate/average as an OL...as, just that makes SUCH a difference. Purdue has some talent at skill positions, but, it does not matter if the OL cannot create a push to effectively run the ball, or, provide protection to the QB so as to allow time to take advantage of the abilities/skills of the WRs...never mind the obvious when able to do both and there be some actual balance and means by which to keep the opposing defenses guessing and not getting comfortable.

@DAG10 what other linebackers besides Bailey were even good then and who were the defensive ends? Geo reviere would back up Jack Sullivan behind karlaftis this year

They are major talents .. when big plays aren’t being created in their area that is something. Anthony watts was not the talent that trice or Allen are.

look at it like this.. against Oregon state,. George didn’t get a sack, but he was one of the best players in America

you tell me what big plays are happening anywhere near those other three guys
It is too early to judge this. OSU and UConn were not high level passing offenses. UConn exploited Allen in coverage on the second play of the game. But, yeah, if that was B. Thieneman maybe it goes for 75 yards instead of 25. I don't see this team getting into a situation where a few guys are injured and the opponent drops 56 in the first half like its nothing.

It is too early to judge this. OSU and UConn were not high level passing offenses. UConn exploited Allen in coverage on the second play of the game. But, yeah, if that was B. Thieneman maybe it goes for 75 yards instead of 25. I don't see this team getting into a situation where a few guys are injured and the opponent drops 56 in the first half like its nothing.
Well I think the goal posts are confusing.. at first we were talking talent, and then it became an implication of career achievements with @DAG10

there is no comparison in actualized talent between this years secondary and 2018 Mackey, major, j. Thienemann and Mosley. Only Jacob thienemann would be a serious threat to start this year.

but to your point.. yeah, there’s a good chance that Saturday could be an “oh” game. But I also think we are playing with house money. No one even expected this team to be competitive in this game a few weeks ago. Unless it’s an Auburn type blow out it really doesn’t make anything worse if it goes bad. If it goes good… well…

but if it goes bad George will be popping Brandon peters in the chest the next week en route to 35-17 win

Well I think the goal posts are confusing.. at first we were talking talent, and then it became an implication of career achievements with @DAG10

there is no comparison in actualized talent between this years secondary and 2018 Mackey, major, j. Thienemann and Mosley. Only Jacob thienemann would be a serious threat to start this year.

but to your point.. yeah, there’s a good chance that Saturday could be an “oh” game. But I also think we are playing with house money. No one even expected this team to be competitive in this game a few weeks ago. Unless it’s an Auburn type blow out it really doesn’t make anything worse if it goes bad. If it goes good… well…

but if it goes bad George will be popping Brandon peters in the chest the next week en route to 35-17 win
Agree with the house money comment. I think Purdue is in a really good place coming into this game and should play confident and with nothing to lose. Win and a it is a potential program changer. Lose but compete and it is still good exposure and a 2-1 start is what most, even the optimists, penciled in anyway. It is ND that has a lot riding on this game. They are getting blasted by their fans for not rolling over their first 2 opponents. If Purdue hangs with them in the first half, what will be going through their players minds? How will the crowd react?

Grant, Allen, and Graham have played extremely well in the past two games. Grant played extremely well last year when he was in the game. Trice made some big plays both last and this year. Mitchell made huge plays last year. I'd say we have some pretty damn good talent at safety. Spotty talent at LB. And the DL seems pretty solid so far with Karlaftis obviously the best in that group, That, along with the coaching changes have made this defense pretty formidable so far.

Statistics don't back up your claim that the DL nor DBs were adequate. The 2018 defense was terrible. Bailey was good, but nicked up for a lot of the season if I recall (a hip thing I think). The defense completely fell apart when Jacob Thienemen went down. JACOB THIENEMEN was the most important player for our defense. That defensive backfield was so bad Tim Cason was in the 2 deeps. We didn't have "adequate" anywhere in the DBs except for JT.

Maybe I am just sour at that whole era of relying on walk-ons (which isn't to say a walk-on can't turn out to be great) to be band-aids over a cannonball wound that was the roster.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Grant, Allen, and Graham have played extremely well in the past two games. Grant played extremely well last year when he was in the game. Trice made some big plays both last and this year. Mitchell made huge plays last year. I'd say we have some pretty damn good talent at safety. Spotty talent at LB. And the DL seems pretty solid so far with Karlaftis obviously the best in that group, That, along with the coaching changes have made this defense pretty formidable so far.
The talent is there all day at LB, way more than in 2018, other than Douglas.. who does play hard and is doing his best. They are still getting brothers acclimated but I haven’t seen a play this year where it’s like “oh, look at the Oregon state running back exploiting brothers.”

I just think @DAG10 is incorrect here. That defense had two outstanding and two good players in Bailey, Neal, thienemann and watts. The defensive ends were Kai Higgins and geo reviere? That’s two guys who bring as little as Douglas does, and Douglas I believe is a walk on, they were recruits.

he hasn’t answered me.. what other linebacker was good that year besides Bailey? What other secondary player that year was good besides thienemann.

I would argue that other than kieran Douglas, every player on our starting defense would be no less than the 5th best player on the 2018 defense.. mostly because Barnes didn’t find a position until last year or late 2019 if one wants to make that argument.

on offense I think the 2018 team was probably better because of the different in the OL… among other reasons, but this is a good offense. That defense was NOT nearly as talented as this one

Reactions: purduepat1969
The talent is there all day at LB, way more than in 2018, other than Douglas.. who does play hard and is doing his best. They are still getting brothers acclimated but I haven’t seen a play this year where it’s like “oh, look at the Oregon state running back exploiting brothers.”

I just think @DAG10 is incorrect here. That defense had two outstanding and two good players in Bailey, Neal, thienemann and watts. The defensive ends were Kai Higgins and geo reviere? That’s two guys who bring as little as Douglas does, and Douglas I believe is a walk on, they were recruits.

he hasn’t answered me.. what other linebacker was good that year besides Bailey? What other secondary player that year was good besides thienemann.

I would argue that other than kieran Douglas, every player on our starting defense would be no less than the 5th best player on the 2018 defense.. mostly because Barnes didn’t find a position until last year or late 2019 if one wants to make that argument.

on offense I think the 2018 team was probably better because of the different in the OL… among other reasons, but this is a good offense. That defense was NOT nearly as talented as this one
Lol, it seems like you have some sort of weird infatuation with Douglas. Does he have someone you're related to on the bench or something?

Lol, it seems like you have some sort of weird infatuation with Douglas. Does he have someone you're related to on the bench or something?
You think his talent level is close to brothers, Alexander or Graham? It’s not his fault .. he plays hard. They’re waiting on guys with more talent to take that position to get their best 3 out there. Go back and watch the Oregon state game man..

You think his talent level is close to brothers, Alexander or Graham? It’s not his fault .. he plays hard. They’re waiting on guys with more talent to take that position to get their best 3 out there. Go back and watch the Oregon state game man..
I absolutely think his talent level is close to Brothers, Alexander, and Graham as it relates to playing Mike linebacker. Positions on a football field are not necessarily interchangeable and different skillsets are required for each. Douglas is a Mike in the traditional sense. His physicality is going to be needed as the season progresses. I said before that I watched specifically for the combination of Alexander and Brothers during the UCONN game. I didn't come away impressed. They are both Will linebackers in the traditional sense. There is a reason teams play with a Sam, Mike, and Will.

I simply find it strange that you think it's some sort of miscalculation that Douglas has been on the two-deep and a special teams starter for the last few years. That wouldn't imply a lack of ability and it seems like the coaches would know. Are you familiar with how much practice film coaches grade in order to make playing decisions? I don't think coaches are waiting on more talented players to take over. I think it's you who's waiting. I also think you suffer from a case of confirmation bias. When Douglas doesn't make a play you point the finger. When he makes a play like the one on Saturday where he covered serious ground (a tfl that appears to have been credited to Mackey, btw) you go silent. Imagine for a second that it was Derrick Barnes who made the exact same play. You would be talking about his relentlessness and speed.

In the end, I think you need to settle in and start rooting for Douglas and the entire defense. Because if your looking for something else, I really think you're going to be waiting for a while. :)

I absolutely think his talent level is close to Brothers, Alexander, and Graham as it relates to playing Mike linebacker. Positions on a football field are not necessarily interchangeable and different skillsets are required for each. Douglas is a Mike in the traditional sense. His physicality is going to be needed as the season progresses. I said before that I watched specifically for the combination of Alexander and Brothers during the UCONN game. I didn't come away impressed. They are both Will linebackers in the traditional sense. There is a reason teams play with a Sam, Mike, and Will.

I simply find it strange that you think it's some sort of miscalculation that Douglas has been on the two-deep and a special teams starter for the last few years. That wouldn't imply a lack of ability and it seems like the coaches would know. Are you familiar with how much practice film coaches grade in order to make playing decisions? I don't think coaches are waiting on more talented players to take over. I think it's you who's waiting. I also think you suffer from a case of confirmation bias. When Douglas doesn't make a play you point the finger. When he makes a play like the one on Saturday where he covered serious ground (a tfl that appears to have been credited to Mackey, btw) you go silent. Imagine for a second that it was Derrick Barnes who made the exact same play. You would be talking about his relentlessness and speed.

In the end, I think you need to settle in and start rooting for Douglas and the entire defense. Because if your looking for something else, I really think you're going to be waiting for a while. :)
His talent level isn’t close. He’s a throwback player. He’d have been much better in the Coletto era.

I think he maxes his talent WAY more than Alexander. If Alexander maxed his talent like Douglas he’d be out there playing like Markus Bailey.

I think of talent as god given. So.. Selwyn lymon was far more talented than Taylor stubblefield.

you don’t control that. I like Douglas and Sullivan as players. But as natural talents it’s not there as much. But as far as commending them for what they do with what they have I take my hats off. I wish we had 85 guys every year doing WITH their talent what Douglas does.

but if you just look at the coverage radius and how much ground he can cover, it’s not there. If it suddenly becomes evident that it is, I’ll be the first to admit it

So it’s all relative right. Can you start for Purdue and still be a guy where ND coaches try to use route combinations to isolate you on their future NFL TE for a pass over your head into the third level, yes.

kinda like Higgins and reviere started for us and opposing coaches knew the QB could take a nap on a rush coming off the edge.

If you wanna pretend it’s pop Warner just have a locked forum that says “everyone is amazing” with a ribbon next to it.

do you think holstege and Hartwig play at the same level? Both start. I don’t

I would tend to disagree with you on this subject. Everyone, including the coaches, knew that Grant was eventually going to start in place of Thienemen last year. He was too talented not to. But he didn't pick up on the play calling quickly enough, which is why Thienemen was in the game at the start of the season. We all eventually saw Grant get more and more playing time as the season went on.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I would tend to disagree with you on this subject. Everyone, including the coaches, knew that Grant was eventually going to start in place of Thienemen last year. He was too talented not to. But he didn't pick up on the play calling quickly enough, which is why Thienemen was in the game at the start of the season. We all eventually saw Grant get more and more playing time as the season went on.
Which to me is why Douglas is out there.

look, the worst thing you can have happen is when a player, no matter how talented, just completely whiffs on an assignment a la Jalen Graham vs nevada ..

Alexander is a big ten level talent as is brothers. They’ll probably be out there at the same time with Graham when coaches feel like it’s time ..

So now I think we're getting somewhere. I think it's easy to lock in on what players don't do well and define talent in narrow terms. Dependability is a talent. Understanding defensive concepts is a talent. In this example, Thienemen was more valuable than Grant to the coaching staff because he had certain talents that coaches desire. I get that you guys want players to have 4.3 40 yard dash talent. But if a player is running a 4.3 in the wrong direction, that's a talent that can be detrimental to winning. What if Douglas' talent as a Mike linebacker is properly communicating to teammates? You say that Douglas maximizes his talent as if it is meaningless. But playing with great effort is a talent that not everybody has. What if having a player with Douglas' talent on the field raises the effort level of the entire defense?

Physicality is a talent. Intelligence is a talent. From the coaching interviews it would appear that Douglas is the most talented linebacker in these areas. But that still doesn't explain the play he made on Saturday.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
So now I think we're getting somewhere. I think it's easy to lock in on what players don't do well and define talent in narrow terms. Dependability is a talent. Understanding defensive concepts is a talent. In this example, Thienemen was more valuable than Grant to the coaching staff because he had certain talents that coaches desire. I get that you guys want players to have 4.3 40 yard dash talent. But if a player is running a 4.3 in the wrong direction, that's a talent that can be detrimental to winning. What if Douglas' talent as a Mike linebacker is properly communicating to teammates? You say that Douglas maximizes his talent as if it is meaningless. But playing with great effort is a talent that not everybody has. What if having a player with Douglas' talent on the field raises the effort level of the entire defense?

Physicality is a talent. Intelligence is a talent. From the coaching interviews it would appear that Douglas is the most talented linebacker in these areas. But that still doesn't explain the play he made on Saturday.
I’m speaking of god given talent …

so that if you can get brothers to do all the things that one can control at the same level as Douglas .. he will be better cause he runs faster …

I don’t have an issue with Douglas being out there if coaches think he is more dependable.

however, your world meets a cold reality when you begin talking about opposing coaches. I would love to see you sitting in their meetings when they yell “stop the tape! THAT guy.”

what you want is brothers able to be comfortable at WLB so that Alexander can be in the middle and have the range not to get beat by a pass over the middle to the TE on 2nd and 7.

Or you can hope for the Ohio state scenario where they absolutely exploited our corner for what should have been 2-3 big plays but Haskins missed the throws.

would be nice if coan floats a couple and Allen hawks it for a big play 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT