ADVERTISEMENT

PU President publicly states he hates NIL

Take a look at the team transfer rankings for basketball. There are a wide range of teams in the top 25 or 30. Some of the more usual suspects but a lot of schools you wouldn't regularly associate with big money. I'm not sure how much NIL money influenced this list but if it did, Purdue could surely compete financially with many these teams. I'm wondering if we are being overly sensitive to the NIL because we lost out on one of the most highly rated transfers who was so public about his deal? At this point, maybe his deal was not the norm but the exception?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Take a look at the team transfer rankings for basketball. There are a wide range of teams in the top 25 or 30. Some of the more usual suspects but a lot of schools you wouldn't regularly associate with big money. I'm not sure how much NIL money influenced this list but if it did, Purdue could surely compete financially with many these teams. I'm wondering if we are being overly sensitive to the NIL because we lost out on one of the most highly rated transfers who was so public about his deal? At this point, maybe his deal was not the norm but the exception?

Illini had 2 million waiting for Kofi and they are probably using those funds to grab Shannon, Mayer, and maybe Ramey. That seems worrisome. Coach Underwood doesn’t seem like a charmer so they are getting those players somehow. Same with Beard at Texas Tech and now Texas. It isn’t all about playing time.

Reactions: BBG
Too bad more university presidents don't have the same position. Sports were intended to enhanced your student experience. Same is true for a hundred other clubs and teams at Purdue. I get NCAA sports morphed into semi-pro leagues. Should this be reality? I'm with Mitch.
I wish all recruits at all colleges would have to meet the same admission requirements as the general student population. There’s too many athletes who care less about academics. I realize this is fantasy land but that is what the NCAA has become (semi pro sports organization bringing in billions)

Daniels has no leverage to influence the big boys. This is a mountain climber taking a stand against an avalanche. More misguided than brave. More delusional than bold.

Purdue needs to get out ahead of these changes, not be once again the last ones to the party. Daniels and Bobinski should be busy hatching an NCAA version of ‘moneyball’, not making statements that paint Purdue as a place that is behind the times and makes recruits nervous. Or maybe we just refuse our share of the Big Ten multimillion revenues and join D2.

Reactions: Marcellis
I wish all recruits at all colleges would have to meet the same admission requirements as the general student population. There’s too many athletes who care less about academics. I realize this is fantasy land but that is what the NCAA has become (semi pro sports organization bringing in billions)
Doubt any Knuckleheads are naive enough to think payments are a new thing. My roommate was a varsity athlete and received a random Christmas card with a C note in it. He didn't know the sender. How do you stop that?? He was completely surprised and decided to assuage his guilt by buying a keg for a floor party at our fraternity. This was back in the 80's :)

Cardale Jones at O$U said the unsayable via Twitter. I don't know the ins/outs at O$U but willing to bet Cardale didn't meet the admissions requirements applied to students NOT on the football and basketball teams. I agree, there should be a baseline.

P.S. the good news is Cardale earned his degree. I hope he's using it now!

Last edited:
Reactions: BSIT
Illini had 2 million waiting for Kofi and they are probably using those funds to grab Shannon, Mayer, and maybe Ramey. That seems worrisome. Coach Underwood doesn’t seem like a charmer so they are getting those players somehow. Same with Beard at Texas Tech and now Texas. It isn’t all about playing time.
Point taken on the NIL, but Underwood actually comes across quite well and has a pretty good recruiting history.

Reactions: Illinisully
So far Purdue has lost no one due to the NIL and transfer rules. You might count IT but I doubt he got any NIL money and he wasn't the key to Purdue's future success anyway.

I've said this before but am I the only one that finds it ironic that Purdue fans are so upset because we lost out on a couple of transfers which may or may not have been eligible to play right away under the old rules?

Painter doesn't like it when guys transfer. Says its bad for them personally but he seems to be all in on getting someone to transfer to Purdue. Tell me why that isn't ironic?
guessing here, but when Haas committed to Wake and had second thoughts. He called Matt and Matt told him he should stay with Wake. I think Matt believes that bball is an ends to a means for so many years that lie outside of playing ball. That doesn't imply that Matt would not take a transfer. I think Matt believes that players should have a lot of growth outside of making baskets and handling adversity is a virtue all could learn.

guessing here, but when Haas committed to Wake and had second thoughts. He called Matt and Matt told him he should stay with Wake. I think Matt believes that bball is an ends to a means for so many years that lie outside of playing ball. That doesn't imply that Matt would not take a transfer. I think Matt believes that players should have a lot of growth outside of making baskets and handling adversity is a virtue all could learn.
Agree with you that Painter considers the players best interest but Painter has and is actively recruiting transfers. None of us like the idea of loosing out on a transfer but if we would have gotten Pack or T. Hunter, there would be few complaints about the portal or NIL.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Don't let Coach Underwood's in game intensity fool you. Yeah, when he gets pissed he goes full blown Chris Farley mode "YOU"RE GONNA BE LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!11" you'd think to yourself "jfc what player would want to play for that guy?!" lol

but in reality, the players by all accounts love Coach Underwood and have praised him as a coach and his character.

Also, he's very down to earth and pretty damn funny too. He was a real good sport on that popular Youtube channel Hot Ones where famous people get interviewed while they try insanely hot hot wings(ironically the interviewer Sean's alma mater is Illinois)

Reactions: TX4GB

96eb227d-f1d5-43b6-9175-86569cb810fd_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT