ADVERTISEMENT

Proctor commits!

High Point graduate here. Very happy for Proctor and think he will be a great pick up for you all. Seemed to be a great kid in every interview (along with always being on the All-Big South Academic Team) who adjusted about as well as you could to a coaching change when Tubby came in.

Lastly, it is going to absolutely kill me as an IU fan to like and cheer on someone for Purdue ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid get. Not crazy about the fact that he backed out of his original commitment to Holy Cross, then transferred from Iona, and now transferring again, but I guess that's how it works these days. Over 700 players are in the transfer portal this year. That's an average of 2 per team across the board.

I was hoping for Jaevin Cumberland, but Proctor is a solid get. Should at least add guard depth in case IT isn't ready to go right away.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Sounds like a solid get. Not crazy about the fact that he backed out of his original commitment to Holy Cross, then transferred from Iona, and now transferring again, but I guess that's how it works these days. Over 700 players are in the transfer portal this year. That's an average of 2 per team across the board.

To be fair, Holy Cross had a coaching change so he reopened his recruitment and committed to Iona. He started at the beginning of the year at Iona as a freshman, and saw his playing time decrease immensely at the end of the year. Decided to transfer to High Point to play for Scott Cherry. Cherry was fired after his Sophomore year. His Junior year he had to play for Tubby Smith, whose style was a complete 180 opposite of Cherry.

Great kid, player, and will represent Purdue extremely well both on and off the court.

To be fair, Holy Cross had a coaching change so he reopened his recruitment and committed to Iona. He started at the beginning of the year at Iona as a freshman, and saw his playing time decrease immensely at the end of the year. Decided to transfer to High Point to play for Scott Cherry. Cherry was fired after his Sophomore year. His Junior year he had to play for Tubby Smith, whose style was a complete 180 opposite of Cherry.

Great kid, player, and will represent Purdue extremely well both on and off the court.
Is there a reason why he shot much worse this year compared to last?

Is there a reason why he shot much worse this year compared to last?

Under Coach Cherry during his sophomore year, HPU played about as quickly paced as you could. This lead to a lot more open shots for Proctor (and the rest of the team). This year under Tubby, they were in a lot more high 50's low 60's type scoring games. They would let the shot clock get to under 5 and, Proctor would try to bail the team out on many occasions with a shot. That doesn't explain fully the dip of 7% in his 3 point shooting, but I was always very confident in him shooting 3's.

He was money when he got within 15 feet, consistently finishing through contact or hitting fade-away jumpers. Should thrive in a position where he doesn't have to be the go to scorer on a team.

Another Painter-Type great person off and great player on .... BOILER UP

Under Coach Cherry during his sophomore year, HPU played about as quickly paced as you could. This lead to a lot more open shots for Proctor (and the rest of the team). This year under Tubby, they were in a lot more high 50's low 60's type scoring games. They would let the shot clock get to under 5 and, Proctor would try to bail the team out on many occasions with a shot. That doesn't explain fully the dip of 7% in his 3 point shooting, but I was always very confident in him shooting 3's.

He was money when he got within 15 feet, consistently finishing through contact or hitting fade-away jumpers. Should thrive in a position where he doesn't have to be the go to scorer on a team.
I've seen amazinb things from solid players when placed in the "not the go-to guy" role!!!!

A good recruiting win is when we get one of the highest scoring guards available on the transfer market. Arizona, Maryland, Michigan were after him too, as well as NCAA tourney teams like Murray State, Nevada, Seton Hall and Utah State

A great recruiting win is if he manages to continue his 50% three point shooting streak into next season!

If Carsen turns pro as expected there would technically be 1 scholarship to give. I'm not sure if that is the one Luce is using. I'm also not sure when that scholarship actually becomes available. I guess a player could commit and sign later.

If Carsen turns pro as expected there would technically be 1 scholarship to give. I'm not sure if that is the one Luce is using. I'm also not sure when that scholarship actually becomes available. I guess a player could commit and sign later.

There is one scholarship remaining after this move. Proctor effectively takes Edwards' spot.

3 options:
1. Another grad transfer - doubtful from what we've heard. There probably isn't any playing time available for anyone good enough that we would want him.

2. A 2019 recruit - doubtful from what we've heard. It doesn't sound like any 2019 guys are on our radar once we didn't offer LaRavia.

3. Bank the scholarship to 2020 but give Luce or another walk-on a free ride.

So we technically have a scholarship to give if there is somebody we really want. Otherwise, that scholarship could go to Luce?

There is one scholarship remaining after this move. Proctor effectively takes Edwards' spot.

3 options:
1. Another grad transfer - doubtful from what we've heard. There probably isn't any playing time available for anyone good enough that we would want him.

2. A 2019 recruit - doubtful from what we've heard. It doesn't sound like any 2019 guys are on our radar once we didn't offer LaRavia.

3. Bank the scholarship to 2020 but give Luce or another walk-on a free ride.

agree, but would be cool if there was another option 1 out there - but I'm greedy

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Painter will benefit from Carsen for years to come; he was the best and funnest player to watch in the tourney not named Zion; and even then I think it was close. Dude made every guard in the country rethink their game...

Painter will benefit from Carsen for years to come; he was the best and funnest player to watch in the tourney not named Zion; and even then I think it was close. Dude made every guard in the country rethink their game...

And CE was a helluva lot cheaper...……….

For old times sake...……......….CE for 3!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn, I miss him already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT