ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty impressive victory today over tOSU at their place.

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Beating - by a margin of 16 - the team that defeated #7 ranked (and at the time of the game #2) Louisville for the Cardinal's only loss is no small thing. Especially when you win by 16 at their home court.

But what a sloppy game... 19 TO's for Ohio State and 23 (!!) for Purdue. We were saved mainly by out rebounding tOSU by 19. That against a team whose starting front three is 6'4", 6'4" and 6'3". Good way to start the season.

Beating - by a margin of 16 - the team that defeated #7 ranked (and at the time of the game #2) Louisville for the Cardinal's only loss is no small thing. Especially when you win by 16 at their home court.

But what a sloppy game... 19 TO's for Ohio State and 23 (!!) for Purdue. We were saved mainly by out rebounding tOSU by 19. That against a team whose starting front three is 6'4", 6'4" and 6'3". Good way to start the season.

Agree - good start to the conference season. For as much hand wringing goes on here(myself included) it's interesting to note that Purdue was rated about #20 in the last women's RPI that I saw, with a top 20 schedule strength as well. As much as it drives us crazy the turnover issue seems to be a way of life now - guess we'd better just get used to it.

Reactions: DocRon
I'm so old I can remember when Ohio State was the current Maryland of the Big Ten... they were the dominant WBB program in the Big Ten for many years... Have they fallen like Purdue has? This was a program that routinely won the Big Ten year after year... but now? Purdue beats them at home by 15?: Wow! Two once mighty programs that have really fallen and Purdue with 23 turnovers still beats them at home by 15.

I'm so old I can remember when Ohio State was the current Maryland of the Big Ten... they were the dominant WBB program in the Big Ten for many years... Have they fallen like Purdue has? This was a program that routinely won the Big Ten year after year... but now? Purdue beats them at home by 15?: Wow! Two once mighty programs that have really fallen and Purdue with 23 turnovers still beats them at home by 15.
Yes, I am that old too. Over the years since the B1G Tournament started (1995) Purdue and tOSU competed for in the championship game 4 times splitting the outcome. Purdue has been in the finals 14 times winning the championship 9 times.

Purdue lost in the championship game 3 years ago (to Maryland) while tOSU won 2 years ago over the Terps. They were quite good that year with the Mitchell twins. They were bad last year as they lost almost all their talent but Coach McGuff had a good recruiting year and they have a very young team this year. I suspect in the years to come they will once again be very good. So I do not really think of their program being "fallen." But you can't help notice that there is not a single B1G team in the NCAA Top Ten. The conference as a whole is in a down cycle and is not considered a conference of excellence.

Yes, I am that old too. Over the years since the B1G Tournament started (1995) Purdue and tOSU competed for in the championship game 4 times splitting the outcome. Purdue has been in the finals 14 times winning the championship 9 times.

Purdue lost in the championship game 3 years ago (to Maryland) while tOSU won 2 years ago over the Terps. They were quite good that year with the Mitchell twins. They were bad last year as they lost almost all their talent but Coach McGuff had a good recruiting year and they have a very young team this year. I suspect in the years to come they will once again be very good. So I do not really think of their program being "fallen." But you can't help notice that there is not a single B1G team in the NCAA Top Ten. The conference as a whole is in a down cycle and is not considered a conference of excellence.

Doc(and David), we're not old, we're EXPERIENCED.

Reactions: DocRon
Was impressed by two things in yesterday's win: 1) How seemingly lumbering and slow OSU seemed and how confused. They are young, but a far cry from what we have come to expect from them in the BT; 2) That explains some of why Purdue dominated them so thoroughly on D, which essentially won the game. The offense was okay and will need to be better vs better teams. I think we will beat Wisc at home Tuesday, but the first true test will be at Indiana, where the Hoosiers seem to have substantially passed Purdue by as a program. But we'll see.

IU has surpassed us until we prove otherwise. A win in Bloomington would do just that if they can pull it off. We can't afford to slip up against Wisconsin first though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT