ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season All-B1G Selections

02Boilermaker

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 16, 2012
Of course we want the end of season awards, but it's nice to see Nojel recognized here. Casual, non-Purdue fans might be a little surprised by his inclusion, but I don't see any unexpected or undeserving names on the list this year.

Winston was unanimous pre-season B1G POY pick.

1st team
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
Anthony Cowan Jr., Maryland (unanimous)
Cassius Winston, Michigan State (unanimous)
Kaleb Wesson, Ohio State (unanimous)
Lamar Stevens, Penn State

2nd Team:
Joe Wieskamp, Iowa - 2nd team
Jalen Smith, Maryland - 2nd team
Zavier Simpson, Michigan
Xavier Tillman, Michigan State
Nojel Eastern, Purdue

Last edited:
Of course we want the end of season awards, but it's nice to see Nojel recognized here. Casual, non-Purdue fans might be a little surprised by his inclusion, but I don't see any unexpected or undeserving names on the list this year.

1st team
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois

2nd Team:
Zavier Simpson, Michigan
Nojel Eastern, Purdue

Very few players are considered elite. Nojel is an elite defender and I don’t think that it is even debatable. Anything he adds offensively is frosting on the cake that he bakes by eliminating points the opposition would normally score. We are indeed fortunate to have him play at Purdue.

1st team
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois

2nd Team:
Zavier Simpson, Michigan
Nojel Eastern, Purdue

I'd guess any "causal" fan wouldn't know who 8/10 of these players are. I'm a diehard MSU fan and I honestly don't know or remember Ayo Dosunmu from Illinois, well, because he plays for Illinois.

Eastern is known as a great defender and even though he's got an ugly shot, he was making it the second half of the season, especially free throws. And Purdue played deep into the tournament. I'd think his name should be as "known" as a lot of players on the list.

Reactions: Purdue85
I'd guess any "causal" fan wouldn't know who 8/10 of these players are. I'm a diehard MSU fan and I honestly don't know or remember Ayo Dosunmu from Illinois, well, because he plays for Illinois.

Eastern is known as a great defender and even though he's got an ugly shot, he was making it the second half of the season, especially free throws. And Purdue played deep into the tournament. I'd think his name should be as "known" as a lot of players on the list.
This season that shot or FTs won’t look ugly at al. Confidence does wonders for the mind

"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. Unconventional, maybe. But when they started going in, they were beautiful.

This season that shot or FTs won’t look ugly at al. Confidence does wonders for the mind

Tre, you know hoops as well as anyone, what’s your take on Caleb Wesson?

I’ve not been high on him, I think he gets a lot of credit because he’s a high usage guy at OSU at a time when they’ve not had a lot of threats on offense. I see him as a less athletic version of Tre, but seeing him voted unanimous first team preseason all conference I wonder if I’m missing something.

Reactions: Schnelk
Yeah from all the Illini games I saw, it never once entered my head that ayo is one of the top 5 players in the conference.

I think Kaleb's addition on the list was a no-brainer just based on his production from last year. Kaleb put up 14.6 ppg & 6.9 rpg which look like they are good for 4th & 5th best for returning B1G players. Maybe not everyone thought he'd be a top 5 player, but that production is good enough to get you on every single ballot. Along those lines, it's pretty insane anyone left Stevens off the ballot (leading returner in scoring & rebounding).

Of course, there's only 10 spots for this list; and there are more than 10 guys who have a legit case to be included. For example...

Tre, you know hoops as well as anyone, what’s your take on Caleb Wesson?

I’ve not been high on him, I think he gets a lot of credit because he’s a high usage guy at OSU at a time when they’ve not had a lot of threats on offense. I see him as a less athletic version of Tre, but seeing him voted unanimous first team preseason all conference I wonder if I’m missing something.
He’s lost like 20 pounds so that will help him this season staying on the court. He’s great back to basket player a load to handle on the block he can shoot the 3 ball as well he may not be an above the rim type player but he has good skills for his size. He can handle the ball well enough decent passing skills but he more than likely was unanimous all preseason bcuz his importance to their team. He will have to prove he can guard better on the perimeter if he wants a chance in the NBA. Overall i can see why he was a unanimous pick he does a lot for their team. I wud say this it’s not how you start the season it’s how you finish. Being on the list is an honor who finishes on that list means more. Tre is very similar to how he plays that game with him and Tre going at it will be fun to watch.

He’s lost like 20 pounds so that will help him this season staying on the court. He’s great back to basket player a load to handle on the block he can shoot the 3 ball as well he may not be an above the rim type player but he has good skills for his size. He can handle the ball well enough decent passing skills but he more than likely was unanimous all preseason bcuz his importance to their team. He will have to prove he can guard better on the perimeter if he wants a chance in the NBA. Overall i can see why he was a unanimous pick he does a lot for their team. I wud say this it’s not how you start the season it’s how you finish. Being on the list is an honor who finishes on that list means more. Tre is very similar to how he plays that game with him and Tre going at it will be fun to watch.

I think that’s a fair assessment. I don’t think he’s a bad player but I agree that he gets hype because of the amount of the load that he shoulders for that team. Which brings another question, I don’t see the love that OSU is getting. Seems like it’s based on lazy analysis, I.e. they bring a lot back and have highly rated freshmen, but as MP said at media day, if you bring a lot of experience back from a team that wasn’t good, who cares.

I think that’s a fair assessment. I don’t think he’s a bad player but I agree that he gets hype because of the amount of the load that he shoulders for that team. Which brings another question, I don’t see the love that OSU is getting. Seems like it’s based on lazy analysis, I.e. they bring a lot back and have highly rated freshmen, but as MP said at media day, if you bring a lot of experience back from a team that wasn’t good, who cares.
They were a tournament team and they brought in some really good players. Along with the highly rated freshmen, they also add Mr. Sauce himself CJ Walker as a transfer. That coupled with Holtmann being a good coach and Kaleb Wesson being one of the top players in the league, their hype is understandable.

OSU, Maryland, and Purdue will be fighting for the 2, 3, and 4 spot this year, and it could go in any order, imo.

They were a tournament team and they brought in some really good players. Along with the highly rated freshmen, they also add Mr. Sauce himself CJ Walker as a transfer. That coupled with Holtmann being a good coach and Kaleb Wesson being one of the top players in the league, their hype is understandable.

OSU, Maryland, and Purdue will be fighting for the 2, 3, and 4 spot this year, and it could go in any order, imo.

So you’re excited about CJ Walker? I can understand if you’re high on Kaleb and a think the freshmen will make a big difference that you would be high on OSU. I personally think that Kaleb is a top 15 guy in the conference who is a good rebounder but a liability defensively and benefits offensively from being their only real option last year.

Last edited:
So you’re excited about CJ Walker? I can understand if you’re high on Kaleb and a think the freshmen will make a big difference I can see being high on OSU. I personally think that Kaleb is a top 15 guy in the conference who is a good rebounder but a liability defensively and benefits offensively from being their only real option last year.

And yes, OSU made the tournament (barely), but what were their five best wins last year?

If that is the case all could be fighting for 1/2/3/4 spots as well you might wanna google MS response from tom izzo from media day. Question marks too nothing is giving bcuz the media saids so why it’s all called Pre Season for a reason. Nothing happens in October everything matters in March.

So you’re excited about CJ Walker? I can understand if you’re high on Kaleb and a think the freshmen will make a big difference I can see being high on OSU. I personally think that Kaleb is a top 15 guy in the conference who is a good rebounder but a liability defensively and benefits offensively from being their only real option last year.
Freshman are freshman even highly touted ones who by the way hasn’t played in a hostile environment or game against guys bigger faster and stronger than them however sophomores and juniors have a leg up on really good freshman bcuz they have been in battles in hostile environments and understand what it takes to battle in those situations

If that is the case all could be fighting for 1/2/3/4 spots as well you might wanna google MS response from tom izzo from media day. Question marks too nothing is giving bcuz the media saids so why it’s all called Pre Season for a reason. Nothing happens in October everything matters in March.

Right - An added benefit the media overlooks for us is we should not have any character issues with our group. A big factor that led to OSU barely sliding into the tourney last year centered around non-basketball issues with the team. Not to call out MSU, but who knows what is going on with that school in general. Hopefully we do not lose all year, but bouncing back from a little adversity in the form of a loss should be our biggest challenge - and I anticipate we will get through it just fine.

So you’re excited about CJ Walker? I can understand if you’re high on Kaleb and a think the freshmen will make a big difference that you would be high on OSU. I personally think that Kaleb is a top 15 guy in the conference who is a good rebounder but a liability defensively and benefits offensively from being their only real option last year.
Where did I say I was "Excited about CJ Walker"? I think he is going to be a solid player for them. He is part of the reason for their hype, but not all of it.
And yes, OSU made the tournament (barely), but what were their five best wins last year?
1. @Cincinatti
2. @Creighton
3.Iowa St (Neutral)
4. Iowa
5. UCLA (Neutral)

Those are 5 solid wins. Not great, but solid. Now, they return almost everyone from that team and add 4 key pieces. That's where the hype comes from.

Izzo says the things he has to to the media. He knows he's got the best, most experienced roster in the B1G. Barring injuries, I fully expect them to win the league and compete for a championship.

Where did I say I was "Excited about CJ Walker"? I think he is going to be a solid player for them. He is part of the reason for their hype, but not all of it.

1. @Cincinatti
2. @Creighton
3.Iowa St (Neutral)
4. Iowa
5. UCLA (Neutral)

Those are 5 solid wins. Not great, but solid. Now, they return almost everyone from that team and add 4 key pieces. That's where the hype comes from.

I assumed you were including him among the “really good players” they are bringing in. Maybe the freshmen will be great, but CJ was not a good player at FSU.

I’ll give you two very good wins on your list, Cincy (RPI 17) and Iowa State (RPI 30). Iowa, Creighton and UCLA had RPI’s of 47, 62 and 102 respectively. Less than impressive.

By the way, that means that OSU played an entire Big Ten season and their only ‘impressive’ conference win was at home vs Iowa. They also lost a combined seven regular season conference games to MSU, Michigan, Maryland and Purdue by a combined total of 113 points.

They sure looked good in that MSU game.
:) That's EXACTLY what I had in mind. I think it was his break-out game from the foul line. The game plan was to put him on the line. They played the game plan perfectly, but Nojel chose not to follow their plan.

Reactions: Fansince72
He commits stupid fouls better than anyone in the league...but outside of that, I’ve never been impressed with him or his brother.
I obviously don't agree with the majority here, but in the games I watched, I thought Wesson was a beast. Aggressive and plays to the end with a lot of heart -- win or lose. He is tough and hard to stop.

Izzo says the things he has to to the media. He knows he's got the best, most experienced roster in the B1G. Barring injuries, I fully expect them to win the league and compete for a championship.
Well put all coaches in that category if you think that. I don’t hold back after watching practice today and yesterday I stand by what I said nov 5 all will be settled

I assumed you were including him among the “really good players” they are bringing in. Maybe the freshmen will be great, but CJ was not a good player at FSU.

I’ll give you two very good wins on your list, Cincy (RPI 17) and Iowa State (RPI 30). Iowa, Creighton and UCLA had RPI’s of 47, 62 and 102 respectively. Less than impressive.

By the way, that means that OSU played an entire Big Ten season and their only ‘impressive’ conference win was at home vs Iowa. They also lost a combined seven regular season conference games to MSU, Michigan, Maryland and Purdue by a combined total of 113 points.
OSU will finish top 4 in the conference.

Well put all coaches in that category if you think that. I don’t hold back after watching practice today and yesterday I stand by what I said nov 5 all will be settled
So Treed since you were at a couple of practices you have anything to share!! Thanks

OSU will finish top 4 in the conference.

You may be right. I’d put their ceiling at 3rd and floor at 8th, depending upon how tough the conference ends up being. I’d be very surprised if they are in contention for a conference championship at the end of February or do better than a five seed in the NCAA tourney.

For the reasons previously stated, I don’t think they were very good last year but agree that they should be improved, just not sure of by how much.

So Treed since you were at a couple of practices you have anything to share!! Thanks
I will say this defensively this team could cause team fits. There may be 4 guys or maybe 5 battling for rebounds Aaron Nojel Matt evan and of course Tre. Tre should definitely lead this this in rebounding he reminds me of biggie in that category he goes after every rebound. Offensively this team is super super fast a lot of transition game we all could see. Tons of ball movement and cutting teams gonna have to defend 5 players on the court. Shooting will be by committee all these guys can shoot it and we’ll including the big men can knock down shots. Sasha and Aaron can shoot that thang no replacements for Cline or carsen however both gonna get there fate share of opportunities to be hella good from the arch. The freshman looks good all can shoot it well too and all 3 can defend well fun to watch them all I believe will have roles that will help the team win. Emmanuel looks better still learning but he’ll give us some good backup minutes at the 5. He can run the floor he’s long athletic and shoes he can protect the rim just need some real games under his belt. Eric and Jahaad looks great as well. Jahaad can shoot can score just plays at his pace just a savvy player who’s smart good understanding of the game I really like him so will all u guys he’s a good dude great teammate and that’s important when you come into a new program he fits right in with this team. Eric looks great more confident scoring the ball shooting it very well and scoring off the dribble. Nojel role will be the same as last season but more now. He’s a plug in player at every position if needed. He’s gonna be a load to deal with. His passing is special I can see his assists numbers double or triple bcuz he has so many shooters on this team all ready to shoot when he finds them. DPOY not just in the big ten the country he’s fast long latterly quick and I watched him stay in front of isiah who’s really fast defensively all I can saw was WOW. He’s leadership is contagious but he’s clearly will be that voice in that locker room when team hit some adversity he’ll step up and get them on track. The shot looks good too defenses will respect it bcuz he looks confident taking the shots he’s given. His midrange is really good. In the open court he’s a freight train coming at u a man on that block if they put these small guards on him. What was most impressive I saw these boys just having so much fun hoopin. All connected to each other great chemistry and plays together for each other very well. Scary team. The versatility at some positions on this team bcuz of their athleticism and quickness will cause some nightmares matchups for teams. October 19 you be the judge but I believe you all will be thoroughly pleased with what you see.

What was most impressive I saw these boys just having so much fun hoopin. All connected to each other great chemistry and plays together for each other very well. Scary team.
This is what makes a good team become a great team. When they are connected, the team is greater than the sum of its talent. When they know and trust where each other will be before they decide to move, that is difficult to defend.

I will say this defensively this team could cause team fits. There may be 4 guys or maybe 5 battling for rebounds Aaron Nojel Matt evan and of course Tre. Tre should definitely lead this this in rebounding he reminds me of biggie in that category he goes after every rebound. Offensively this team is super super fast a lot of transition game we all could see. Tons of ball movement and cutting teams gonna have to defend 5 players on the court. Shooting will be by committee all these guys can shoot it and we’ll including the big men can knock down shots. Sasha and Aaron can shoot that thang no replacements for Cline or carsen however both gonna get there fate share of opportunities to be hella good from the arch. The freshman looks good all can shoot it well too and all 3 can defend well fun to watch them all I believe will have roles that will help the team win. Emmanuel looks better still learning but he’ll give us some good backup minutes at the 5. He can run the floor he’s long athletic and shoes he can protect the rim just need some real games under his belt. Eric and Jahaad looks great as well. Jahaad can shoot can score just plays at his pace just a savvy player who’s smart good understanding of the game I really like him so will all u guys he’s a good dude great teammate and that’s important when you come into a new program he fits right in with this team. Eric looks great more confident scoring the ball shooting it very well and scoring off the dribble. Nojel role will be the same as last season but more now. He’s a plug in player at every position if needed. He’s gonna be a load to deal with. His passing is special I can see his assists numbers double or triple bcuz he has so many shooters on this team all ready to shoot when he finds them. DPOY not just in the big ten the country he’s fast long latterly quick and I watched him stay in front of isiah who’s really fast defensively all I can saw was WOW. He’s leadership is contagious but he’s clearly will be that voice in that locker room when team hit some adversity he’ll step up and get them on track. The shot looks good too defenses will respect it bcuz he looks confident taking the shots he’s given. His midrange is really good. In the open court he’s a freight train coming at u a man on that block if they put these small guards on him. What was most impressive I saw these boys just having so much fun hoopin. All connected to each other great chemistry and plays together for each other very well. Scary team. The versatility at some positions on this team bcuz of their athleticism and quickness will cause some nightmares matchups for teams. October 19 you be the judge but I believe you all will be thoroughly pleased with what you see.
Thanks Treed!

Haarms and Tre give Purdue a highly under-rated center rotation, IMO. I don’t see much separation between Tre and Wesson and I’d say that Tre isn’t even Purdue’s top center.

Reactions: northside100
Interesting list for the pre-season. A little bit of everybody in there just to sell better.

By the end of the year I would not be surprised to see both Haarms and Williams among the "Post-Season All BIG" selections, along with Nojel. I also think Sasha makes the Honorable Mention list.

:cool:

Interesting list for the pre-season. A little bit of everybody in there just to sell better.

By the end of the year I would not be surprised to see both Haarms and Williams among the "Post-Season All BIG" selections, along with Nojel. I also think Sasha makes the Honorable Mention list.

:cool:

If you are right, and well may be right, then Purdue will not be 3rd or 4th in the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT